• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

red13th

Giancola had a bunch of "hand-themed" artwork since waaay back in Mirage block

292.jpg
154.jpg

But the Mox new arts are all by Volkan Baga, so beautiful.

Dude's good at drawing hands, can't blame him for showing it off. Especially since a lot of artists tend to skimp when it comes to extremities.

Give 'em time, they've been getting less and less responsible about managing creature typing. The time of the Townsfolk will come again.

(Though, I will say I don't think a Cartographer should be a "Townsfolk" to begin with since I would assume they aren't sedentary by occupation. I'm pretty sure they were the ones that actually went out and mapped things, and it was basic bitch scribes who created copies of maps?)

They're just humans now, so go ahead and throw them in that Human Tribal deck.

And damn straight that guy has nailed the art of the hand. The opposite of Rob Liefeld (comic book artist) that seemed to always hide the hands and feet as much as possible.

Donato's probably honestly too busy (and too expensive) for Magic these days. Like Rebecca Guay he's been doing more gallery work, and he's also able to get more prestigious fantasy/sci-fi gigs, like doing a full 12-month ASoIaF calendar. Doesn't stop him from doing what amounts to fanart of his previous Magic pieces on his own time tho:

The single most direct antecedent to Baga's Moxen is actually probably this card:

147.jpg

Followed shortly thereafter by this:

314.jpg

....oh my god i never fucking noticed this:

246.jpg
152.jpg

look at the reflection in both pieces

They rated lifegain as having the same relative value as damage (and rated damage to creatures and players as being relatively equal), which is one of those assumptions that seems completely logical when you're designing a game on-paper and then immediately reveals itself to be absurd once you playtest it.

Wulfric

Volkan Baga is pretty much the heir to Giancola's throne, in more ways than one:

Volkan Baga actually worked in Donato's studio several years ago. Although I think Donato usually works in a much larger scale.

I'd say him and Lindsey Look have sort of filled that void. She has only done 14 cards, but they are amazing to see.

Violet_0

Banned
quick question, how many mana stones do you play in your EDH deck? Spent all evening yesterday looking up cards, I'm gonna post a list later but I'm at 100 cards right now without even counting lands

or better yet, give me your land/mana stone ratio. The deck I'm building is Scarab God Dimir reanimator, no ramp or mana dorks

Violet_0

Banned
37-7 at the least. the more cantrips I run the less lands I need, Zur only has 32 for instance
seems solid, thanks

I somehow made a reanimator deck with a 71% spells to creature ratio, gotta make room for the lands now. Too many tempting reanimation-/tutor-/removal-/counter-spells in BU

btw, I need more cheap looting effects, preferably creature-based, hit me up with suggestions. Champion of Wits, Dakra Mystic, and Magus of the Bazaar if I want to go really crazy, is about the best I got. Merfolk Looter, Hedron Crab and friends are too low-impact

Violet_0

Banned
Jace Vryn's Prodigy. You can also Traumatize yourself.

hm, 20&#8364; for Jace. It's not that bad, I guess, I'll keep it in mind. Would be the most expensive card, the rest of the deck is build around low-budget cards with mostly <1-3&#8364; cards, with a few exceptions. No Vampiric Tutor for me, Beseech the Queen will do

Maledict

Juju bauble is a terrible card, but fuck if the art and flavour text isn't utterly superb. It doesn't feel like we get cards like that anymore. Mirage block really did have some truly wonderful flavour and an art style that's very unique.

y2dvd

quick question, how many mana stones do you play in your EDH deck? Spent all evening yesterday looking up cards, I'm gonna post a list later but I'm at 100 cards right now without even counting lands

or better yet, give me your land/mana stone ratio. The deck I'm building is Scarab God Dimir reanimator, no ramp or mana dorks

I play at least 5, even in my beat down deck. Usual suspects are Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, Signets, Chrome Mox, and Fellwar Stone. 34 lands. My Tasigur deck plays even more mana stones on top of about 4 mana dorks. Those activated abilities and recasting the commander gets pretty expensive.

Violet_0

Banned
deck WIP e: forgot to set it to public

getting there. About 10 more cards to cut, probably need to either cut tutors or counterspells, can't go much lower on creature count. Estimated price is below 100&#8364; including Jace, I'll go a bit cheaper on the lands. Main problem I see is not enough self-mill/looting, but these cards tend to be not very good. Any suggestions? Oh, I've got to add Entomb

I play at least 5, even in my beat down deck. Usual suspects are Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, Signets, Chrome Mox, and Fellwar Stone. 34 lands. My Tasigur deck plays even more mana stones on top of about 4 mana dorks. Those activated abilities and recasting the commander gets pretty expensive.

I just threw in 10 mana artifacts for now, 7 2-mana stones, Chrome Mox, Worn Powerstone and Sol. Too many for 36-37 lands?

deck WIP e: forgot to set it to public

getting there. About 8 more cards to cut, probably need to either cut tutors or counterspells, can't go much lower on creature count. Estimated price is below 100€ including Jace, I'll go a bit cheaper on the lands. Main problem I see is not enough self-mill/looting, but these cards tend to be not very good. Any suggestions? Oh, I've got to add Entomb

I just threw in 10 mana artifacts for now, 7 2-mana stones, Chrome Mox, Worn Powerstone and Sol. Too many for 36-37 lands?
If you haven't yet, check out EDHrec and see what others have done. It may perhaps give you some insight.

https://edhrec.com/commanders/the-scarab-god

Violet_0

Banned
If you haven't yet, check out EDHrec and see what others have done. It may perhaps give you some insight.

https://edhrec.com/commanders/the-scarab-god

I did already, they're building around zombies. I'm want to do what I did with my MTGO Sidsi deck - getting the Primordials and Archmage into play and then just recurring and copying them over and over. Grinds and locks out other midrange decks eventually, combo deck are a different matter altogether. Ah well, it's supposed to be a fair fun casual deck

e: guess I should fill it up with cantrips and ditch some of the less powerful cards

More Donato Giancola and Wizards Tribal card that has jumped :)

89.jpg

It's really cool the cards you come across when you just search cards by Artist. Never fails to reveal some weird ones.

hermit7

On the subject of mana rocks, if running green ramp I tend to consider ramp cards in the same slots as rocks in a deck.

Depends on the deck but I tend to run dorks over rocks for the most part. Typically they live long enough until I have enough mana and don't need them anymore. I still do run 2 cmc land ramp (natures lore) as well as the most efficient rocks (crypt and ring) in my green decks. I think that if sol ring and crypt were banned (which is reasonable) I would put in things like utopia sprawl and mox diamond or something to still give me the same consistency.

y2dvd

Mana ramp is probably more consistent, but mana dorks/rocks allows for such explosive starts. My lands are also super greedy in my 3-color deck, running only 3 basics lol.

Tunoku

Man that GP Birmingham Burn list is sweeeeeet. Ditching Eidolon for Shrine of the Burning Rage. I'm sure I have some copies of it lying around. But now I have to shift my focus to Standard. Going on vacation soon and not enough time for testing, so I'm leaning towards just playing Ramunap at the GP. Tried it out today for the first time and it felt good. It has such a good late game once you've managed to push through enough damage in the first few turns.

On the subject of mana rocks, if running green ramp I tend to consider ramp cards in the same slots as rocks in a deck.

Like hermit said, it depends on the deck. With that said my Prossh deck I run ramp, ramp, ramp because Prossh gets a lot of hate and I need to repeatedly cast him and the Commander tax adds up quickly. Rocks/Dorks can get destroyed and then it's game over for a deck like Prossh. Can I win without Prossh? Yes. But he's easily the most consistent win all on his own.

My ramp allows me to get the most land out onto the battlefield before others. It kind of scares them. Dorks and Rocks are more easily managed (destroyed, stolen) and that's what scares me. A lot of successful Prossh decks run dorks though, because they can also be eaten by Prossh. They serve two purposes in that regard, getting him out quickly and then also beefing him up. I'd still rather do things my way though.

My Breya deck is all about the rocks but she's a girl that likes all that glitters and all that bling. Not to mention green is not in her color pie where green is the defacto mana dork color. Plus her ability of sacrificing artifacts would rely on you having said artifacts on the field so casting mana rocks is the best thing for that Commander.

Mana ramp is probably more consistent, but mana dorks/rocks allows for such explosive starts. My lands are also super greedy in my 3-color deck, running only 3 basics lol.

Oh definitely, rocks can really allow some explosive starts. I've had T1 Daretti before and that's pretty much the nuts.

Bouncing between SCG and Magic (official) Twitch streams and they both have Company vs. Death's Shadow matches going on.

EDIT: Company takes game one on both streams.

I managed to snag all four Commander 2017 decks for $109. I feel that's pretty good!
My daughter wants the Vampire deck and my son wants the Dragon deck. It will be their first Commander decks.

I may crack the Cat deck just to get the Mirari's Wake and throw it into the Dragon deck.

Violet_0

Banned
on second thought, after taking a look at the current top Commander lists, I might just save the money for something else instead. Someone just needs to show up with a Prossh or Atraxa stax deck and I might as well pack up. Netdecks versus netdecks ain't my idea of fun

on second thought, after taking a look at the current top Commander lists, I might just save the money for something else instead. Someone just needs to show up with a Prossh or Atraxa stax deck and I might as well pack up. Netdecks versus netdecks ain't my idea of fun

are we talking online? Because that player will have to look for others playing on his level or is gonna have quite a difficult time finding tables IRL taking him otherwise.

I have a Zur deck and it's like 95% competitive just lacking a couple super expensive cards but I barely ever take it out to play because the power level is just way above what's typical in a random pod.

Violet_0

Banned
are we talking online? Because that player will have to look for others playing on his level or is gonna have quite a difficult time finding tables IRL taking him otherwise.

I have a Zur deck and it's like 95% competitive just lacking a couple super expensive cards but I barely ever take it out to play because the power level is just way above what's typical in a random pod.

nah, I'm moving soon and will be in the vicinity of a game store again, so I thought I might join a Commander group once I'm there. I guess I'll just have to check on how cutthroat they are, the competitive decks are just way above casual decks in powerlevel due to how many degenerate things you can do in the format

nah, I'm moving soon and will be in the vicinity of a game store again, so I thought I might join a Commander group once I'm there. I guess I'll just have to check on how cutthroat they are, the comptetive decks are just way above casual decks in powerlevel due to how many degenerate things you can do in the format
Don't minde these, they are a pretty minor subset of EDH. Most people adhere to the 75% or less, there's infinite combos and such plenty but most often it's 3+ card combos.

Personally I like making thematic decks even when those might be bad but then go pretty cutthroat. For instance my Akiri Equipment Voltron deck has 2 infinite combos and a control shell as a backup plan when she's removed too much.

Violet_0

Banned
Don't minde these, they are a pretty minor subset of EDH. Most people adhere to the 75% or less, there's infinite combos and such plenty but most often it's 3+ card combos.

Personally I like making thematic decks even when those might be bad but then go pretty cutthroat. For instance my Akiri Equipment Voltron deck has 2 infinite combos and a control shell as a backup plan when she's removed too much.

combo decks (bad combos in particular) are tolerable, I mean you can still stop it when you know the combo pieces and also happen to play blue. Stax is, like, oh no one at the table can remove Winter Orb, gg!

Zocano

Commander decks that play to win just seems against the point to me, also thanks for all the suggestions from a couple days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom