• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft told Pachter their E3 focus is on services over games, is this a good idea?

As long as they keep releasing all these gems on XBLA, I couldnt give a shit about anything else they do. Third parties got my back for retail games.

jbug617

Banned
These comments made me think back to Tested's CES podcast with Mark Rein and Pachter. Mark Rein talked a lot about entertainment services are going to be big factors in consoles in the future. Knowing Epic's close ties with Microsoft made this was a hint of things to come.

Satchel

Banned
What? All I said is that it goes both ways. I have a ps3 backlog, this is not including the pc which is another animal on its own.

As for games pre new console, ms has seen the ps2 sell well. And when the current gen started games were made for the ps3, 360 and......................... the ps2 with the same day and date release.

Expect games to get a ps4/720/ps3/360 day and date release.

Saying all the games you would ever want to play have been out and there need to be no more is a gaf/game site thing. Common gamers/consumers don't see it that way. If a person just bought a 360/ps3 not only do they have a nice library to pull from but new games is still something to get excited about. No one wants to buy a console that isn't going to be supported. They don't want to miss out on the next madden, call of duty, even if its gimped.

That's if ms plans to keep the 360 alive next gen. Might not be a part of their business model. They shut down the original xbox, primarily due to losses but, it worked out well for them, they may try to repeat the success by forcing migration to the next console.

I'm sure ms plans to make appealing trade your 360 toward a next gen console deals to promote fast early adoption.

You're right, but judging by some posts in here, it's being made out like the 360 is having no games released for the next 18 months.

There's plenty, but you can't please everyone, and you can't listen to people who choose to ignore XBLA, Kinect on top of 3rd party games and the exclusive MS DOES have coming in the next 18 months.

cevansdust

Neo Member
0111_om1g.gif

Prove me wrong?

We're still talking about 'bang for your buck' as an entertainment device. So while the console will get exclusives, it still charges you for a bunch of services that are free on a PC. Not to mention the wider berth of games that are available on a PC that is free or near free (as long as you have an internet connection). There's a huge world of 'backward compatible' gaming available to a PC user that does not exist on the 360.

So, not only is the PC the most cost effective entertainment device, it is also the most cost effective gaming device.

I guess the big knock is that an individual has to be motivated enough to seek this out. It's not presented to you in a tidy, all-inclusive package.
And this is why risky multi-billion dollar bets are made for lowly, underpowered consoles despite all that you pointed out. People want something that gets them what they want now and as simply as possible. Nothing wrong with that, IMO, as time and ease of use is an extremely valuable commodity that powers the sales of devices from Apple to consoles and handhelds. The list of things you typed up really is the same thing that some of the more desperate Sony fans kept trying to push for years with the value proposition they see not matching up with the market who will make something successful.

CNBC had a show on Monday night on the future of TV. Included a segment on the Xbox and the basic tone of the interview was that Xbox is moving away from a game only console to a service where video, music and games all coexist.

They then did a brief demo of the Sesame Street and National Geographic interactive programs. Article that is part of the Future of TV site.

I can tell you right now that the article doesn't do the National Geographic program justice and if they show it off at E3 it will probably be the most GIF worthy thing we've seen yet.
One of the oldest names in children's programming is getting a makeover in collaboration with Microsoft, for what they're calling "Kinect Sesame Street TV." At various points in a "Sesame Street" show, characters such as Elmo ask viewers to participate — counting, throwing imaginary objects, or jumping. The camera, attached to the Xbox console, allows viewers' movements to impact what's happening on the TV. If kids don't want to jump for Cookie Monster, the technology can tell that they're not moving, so Cookie Monster encourages them to move. Once the activity is done, or if a kid decides to sit it out, Sesame Street continues to another part of the program.

Another program, Kinect NatGeo TV, makes wildlife documentaries fully immersive. For instance, a documentary about owls shows how they catch bugs, then asks viewers to stand up and try to catch bugs on the screen themselves. The camera captures the viewer's image and adds an owl face and wings to their body. When the viewer flaps his arms, it looks like he's an owl about to take flight. Then, when crickets fly near the viewer-turned-owl's face, he has to move and dive to catch them in his virtual mouth.

This technology that integrates a viewer's body into a TV show has seemingly limitless potential. We'll see what happens once reality TV producers get their hands on it.

CNBC had a show on Monday night on the future of TV. Included a segment on the Xbox and the basic tone of the interview was that Xbox is moving away from a game only console to a service where video, music and games all coexist.

They then did a brief demo of the Sesame Street and National Geographic interactive programs. Article that is part of the Future of TV site.

I can tell you right now that the article doesn't do the National Geographic program justice and if they show it off at E3 it will probably be the most GIF worthy thing we've seen yet.

this sounds quite interesting. Turning a static medium into an active one.

This was posted on the Microsoft Store Facebook page.
Think the Xbox is just for gaming? Think again! We’re offering Xbox 360 Entertainment Workshops in our local Microsoft Stores to help you get the most out of your Xbox experience.

And this was one of the comments to that post
I went to one yesterday with Grace. She showed me some things I'd never even heard of. I went home and downloaded some of the apps, and features she went over. Plus, I got a FREE Kinect game! How cool is that!?

mdtauk

E3 = Electronic Entertainment Expo

Microsoft's entertainment apps and services are the very definition of what E3 is supposed to showcase.

The Xbox 360 is in its final days, so unless there are big developers, making big titles - what are Microsoft to do other than focusing on the features they are adding to the machine. And keeping the 360 going a little longer where next year will be the Xbox 720 and future games/services etc.

Top Bottom