• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP), Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 (DS) announced

Victrix

*beard*
Pellham said:
just get the port and skip the non-matsuno spinoffs.

as shitty as the PSP is, its worth buying just for FFT if you are a fan.

Honestly, I'm not sure I can support Square Enix whoring out Ivalice and my beloved FFT with my dollars

Without Matsuno there, I really don't care. I ****ing loved TO, FFT, VS, and FF12, he is far and away my favorite developer (who I know the name/attribution of :p) from Japan, so I really care more about what (if anything) he'll be doing now, than I do about SE using dark and unholy magics to resurrect the corpse of Ivalice to be paraded in the streets, dressed in gaudy finery and stinking of decay.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Mother****er.

There are a good amount of games on the PSP that I want to play, but I've always been like "Looks cool...but I'm still not getting a PSP."

FFT on the PSP will make me cave, though :(

But yeah, wishful thinking until a better source is revealed, methinks.

PS: MAKE FFTA2 NOT SUCK THX

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
JoshuaJSlone said:
If true that would seem weird to split up the series like that. Especially since Tactics would be the easiest of the PS1 FFs to port to DS.

but easier to port to the PSP...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
YES!!!!!!! A NEW TACTICS GAME!!!!! Hope it turns out good. Just get rid of the laws please.

Matix said:
Another ****ing TOSE PSP-Port Square, really. Anyway, I guess beggars can't be choosers.
Well they did port FFV quite well. Hope for the best? Although I can't understand why this isn't going to be a downloadable game on PS3 instead.

traveler

Not Wario
This is completely off-topic, but does anyone know how I might obtain the Kingdom Hearts piano music from that link?

Edit: To answer the above, (and make my post relevant) FFTA is definitely worth the purchase. I really don't understand where all the hate comes from. It's my favorite GBA game without a doubt. (Although the Golden Sun games give it a run for its money.) The only negative thing I could say about it would be that it has a weak story. The gameplay, however, is fantastic and utterly addictive.

Diablos

distantmantra said:
Boy, that must eat you up inside.
No. :)

FFT PSP is the one I'd want. New jobs? Awesome. Not that I care for PSP or DS. Also, FFTA isn't that great of a game; I doubt FFTA2 will be much better.

Amir0x

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
So the consensus is that FFTA sucks? I was going to buy it :(

I'll get another srpg instead

Yes it's a complete piece of shit. Only positives is - good music for a GBA game, and good graphics for a GBA game. Everything else... wow, just wow.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Mana Knight said:
I hope both come true. I feel FFTA is the best GBA games and one of the best games ever. I like FFT, but not as much as FFTA. I'd still like to play the game on PSP, with more jobs.

for real?
Ive had it in my DS for 2 years and i only played like 4 or so hours of it... story was crap compared to the awesomeness that was FFT

vertopci

I hoped FFTA2 doesn't blow chunks like FFTA did. Don't know about you guys, but it felt like FFTA required no tactics to beat :lol

Victrix

*beard*
PhoenixDark said:

I'll get another srpg instead

It's dreadful :(

Largely because it fails miserably to stand up to FFT (challenge, story), but also because it fails as a game on its own (challenge, story :p)

That and laws felt like a shitty gamefaqs messageboard challenge forcibly turned on in your game

Ignoring that though, the enemies were braindead, and while the core mechanics were pretty solid, there was nothing driving you to play it - not the story, not the difficulty, certainly not the rad grphix, and that leaves only the gameplay... which while expansive, was broken.

Arguably, FFT had many broken combinations/skills/jobs as well, but you generally needed to learn them, here they were just sort of thrown at you - and I don't remember any fights that made me swear at them like some of the fights the first time in FFT (or Tactics Ogre...)

Go play TO and follow it up with the GBA TO if you're still hankering for more... if you can stomach TO's archaic nature today, you'll probably really dig it if you loved FFT.

You know what would be cool? Zelda tactics. That would be cool.

On another note though, what DID happen to Matsuno? I keep hearing he got killed, in hiding, or on vacation leave. Or has he left Square and working elsewhere?

Matix

Okay, if its true FFT will be coming to the PSP... why wouldn't it utilize the PSP-PS1 Emu (I guess S-E is just trying to make another cheap cash-in) ?! I mean it just seems kinda pointless to continue releasing these PS1-Ports on UMD format, when much better options are available. I love FFT, but not enough to purchase the basically the same game again for full-price on a portable.

Amir0x

Banned
Matix said:
Okay, if its true FFT will be coming to the PSP... why wouldn't it utilize the PSP-PS1 Emu (I guess S-E is just trying to make another cheap cash-in) ?! I mean it just seems kinda pointless to continue releasing these PS1-Ports on UMD format, when much better options are available. I love FFT, but not enough to purchase the same game again for full-price on a portable.

Dude, it has 2 new jobs man. 2 new jobs!

This makes sense, I think. I mean, eventually FFT would likely be available for the PSP via the PS1 emulator. But that way, SE would only get a few bucks from each copy sold. By doing a actual PSP remake, they will get $10-15 per copy sold, and without much work, either. Just add a few jobs, maybe make the secret dungeon a bit longer (it was pretty weak to begin with, only what, 9 levels? Compared to the 99 level one in Tactics Ogre).

And while I didn't like FFTA much, FFTA2 would be very cheap to develop as well. Much cheaper than a DS version (since SE still makes GBA games, I would guess it's for the GBA, not DS, though you never know)

PhoenixDark said:
I had a lot of fun with it, and the clan/mission nature made a single playthrough go much longer than one from FFT. Battles play out much the same, minus the ability to rotate the map. Classes are segregated by species, and I seem to recall seeing who could use what items in a store was a pain. The story/setting is a HELL of a lot fluffier than FFT.

Vargas

CoolTrick said:
It's actually a LOT of fun if you aren't asking for FFT2 and can get over that its not as deep as the PSX one.

What about the fact that the game moves at a snail's pace?

Stealth

I didn't get a chance to play FFT, but I really loved FFTA, even though it was rather easy. One of the best looking and most addictive GBA games I played.

The only thing that would make this announcement better is a release of FFT and the other FF games for the PS Store. C'mon SONY!!!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Amir0x said:

You're a big fan, what's the connection to FFXII?
I'm still replaying that now, I had no idea it was in the same world as my beloved FFT. I mean, its been years, but still

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Dragon Quest IX on the DS...possible new FFT game...

A new Chrono game doesn't seem too far fetched, now. Make it happen plz.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Matix said:
Okay, if its true FFT will be coming to the PSP... why wouldn't it utilize the PSP-PS1 Emu (I guess S-E is just trying to make another cheap cash-in) ?! I mean it just seems kinda pointless to continue releasing these PS1-Ports on UMD format, when much better options are available. I love FFT, but not enough to purchase the basically the same game again for full-price on a portable.

i think there's a point at which it'd be more beneficial for them to distribute it through regular retail channels.

if anything, it'll give NPD something to track instead of waiting forever for any actual stats on the download services.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Stealth said:
I didn't get a chance to play FFT, but I really loved FFTA, even though it was rather easy. One of the best looking and most addictive GBA games I played.

The only thing that would make this announcement better is a release of FFT and the other FF games for the PS Store. C'mon SONY!!!
I think this port proves S-E isn't interested in it.

B.K.

I pray to God that Square Enix releases The Lion War in America. Hopefully they'll retranslate it and it'll get the translation it deserves.

Amir0x

Banned
omg rite said:
Ignore his over exaggeration.

Seems like many people agree it's terrible, so exaggeration it is not. But...gamerankings, sry :(

I've played many tactics games - and while it of course is no where near as bad as things like Onimusha Tactics, it's still a rancid piece of shit. I could write an essay about it, but it has been discussed before.

Soul4ger

Why don't they just make FFT downloadable..? I thought these PSone ports would stop after that service went live. ****in' bullshit.

B.K.

I was just wondering, is this the same blog that broke the news about Revenant Wings? I'm just curious how reliable it is.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Amir0x said:
Seems like many people agree it's terrible, so exaggeration it is not. But...gamerankings, sry :(

I've played many tactics games - and while it of course is no where near as bad as things like Onimusha Tactics, it's still a rancid piece of shit. I could write an essay about it, but it has been discussed before.

No, a piece of shit is Bubsy 3D.

But anyone that says it's a "rancid piece of shit" is just mad that it wasn't what they wanted in a sequel to FFT, because it was more kid-oriented and easy.

Doesn't change the fact that the game stands on as own as a fun tactics game. I get not enjoying it, but a "rancid piece of shit?" Christ man, all you ever do is inflate shit.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Do you people have any idea how GOOD Final Fantasy Tactics is?

Is there some reason your brains haven't degenerated into quivering masses of liquified awesome yet!?!?!

*explodes*

Kittonwy

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Do you people have any idea how GOOD Final Fantasy Tactics is?

Is there some reason your brains haven't degenerated into quivering masses of liquified awesome yet!?!?!

*explodes*

It's good because Meliadoul Tingel is in it. Meliadoul pwnz.

WTH? GameRankings has a higher score for FFTA than FFT.

In regards to this looking like a PSP game, I know Square doesn't want to solely support only 1 console but the gravediggers are already working on the PSP. Are they trying to guarantee that more people will buy Crisis Core (Vapor Core) by releasing some more games for the console?

FFT would work pretty well on the DS and is a game that could benefit from the port. Not necessarily for touch screen controls but more for dual screens (like having the CT order in the second screen). The only thing that would suffer is the orchestrated music, which would be a big loss but they could probably use some compression and not butcher it too much.

FOR DS DAMN YOU!

Vargas

omg rite said:
No, a piece of shit is Bubsy 3D.

But anyone that says it's a "rancid piece of shit" is just mad that it wasn't what they wanted in a sequel to FFT, because it was more kid-oriented and easy.

Do people really get bothered by something so trivial. If I see someone describing a game as piece of shit I just see it as the person saying that they do not like the game.

ferr

sane-mode: on

I love FFT and I don't get all the hate for FFTA. Most people that don't like it seem to complain about the judges.. that would imply that they don't like the added challenge rather than anything else. I can't wait for FFTPSP and and FFTA2 to come out.. and they better come out in America. I think I'll finally buy a DSLite tomorrow!

sane-mode: off

**** YES **** YES **** YES **** YES NEW JOBS FFT PSP FFTA2 FOR DS OMGHSIFJS FUFUFUFFKCKSLFSLFKSLKFLSKFLSKFLSKFLSKFLSKFLSJFLKSJFLKSJFLKSJFLKSJFLKSJF

Top Bottom