• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND |OT| - Now with New Hat

matmanx1

I think the Vita version is fantastic and I'm having an easier time pulling off moves on it than I ever did on my Dualshock 3. I haven't tried the game online as I am strictly scrub tier but the Vita version is so far perfect in terms of port quality. And you haven't lived until you've seen the game running on that OLED in person. I geek out about it every time I start talking about the game.

alstein

Why wouldn't the vita version be just as good if not better? BB doesn't tax the PS2 at all, and isn't the Vita supposed to have more juice then a PS2, especially in RAM?

Theonik

Why wouldn't the vita version be just as good if not better? BB doesn't tax the PS2 at all, and isn't the Vita supposed to have more juice then a PS2, especially in RAM?
PSP and 3DS ports are supposedly quite bad (haven't tried me so I can't couch for that, just the general consensus I gathered) so this would make this the first "good" BB portable port. Though I always expected Vita BB to be good for the reasons you stated above, not accounting for a really sloppy rushed portjob of course.

Ken

PSP and 3DS ports are supposedly quite bad (haven't tried me so I can't couch for that, just the general consensus I gathered) so this would make this the first "good" BB portable port. Though I always expected Vita BB to be good for the reasons you stated above, not accounting for a really sloppy rushed portjob of course.

The Vita version of CSE is a lot better than the 3DS port of CSII. In the 3DS version, for whatever reason the D-Pad was disabled so you had to use the weird analog stick thing.

Theonik

The Vita version of CSE is a lot better than the 3DS port of CSII. In the 3DS version, for whatever reason the D-Pad was disabled so you had to use the weird analog stick thing.
I know, was just pointing out that the precedent would make it reasonable for one to be pleasantly surprised by that fact and/or ask about the quality of the port, answering the question the post I quoted posed.

Roto13

If you get a bad ending in Story Mode there's a little chibi Teach Me Ms. Lichi-style scene with Kokonoe telling your character what went wrong. Neat. :p

sephi22

If you get a bad ending in Story Mode there's a little chibi Teach Me Ms. Lichi-style scene with Kokonoe telling your character what went wrong. Neat. :p

Yeah, those are amazing. They were added in CS. Teach me Kokonoe, Teach me Litchi and the joke endings are the best parts of the story. So many memes, in jokes, fourth wall breaking moments and pop culture references. Even the achievements were hilariously named.

Tager and Kokonoe's conversation about
Tager's penis
and Tager yelling
GIGANTIC TAAAGER!!!
had me rolling for 10 minutes. This game has one of the best localizations ever.

Yeah, those are amazing. They were added in CS. Teach me Kokonoe, Teach me Litchi and the joke endings are the best parts of the story. So many memes, in jokes, fourth wall breaking moments and pop culture references. Even the achievements were hilariously named.

Tager and Kokonoe's conversation about
Tager's penis
and Tager yelling
GIGANTIC TAAAGER!!!
had me rolling for 10 minutes. This game has one of the best localizations ever.

I really wish there was a System Voice of Tager censor yelling everything.

Enordash

Good stuff Abednego! I think its pretty clear we both need some time and practice with this game! Your Hakumen was giving me nightmares with the pokes and high damage lol. I'm sure we will both be better prepared for the next meeting

As for the rest of 360 BB gaf, sorry you guys couldn't make it. I'll try and set another of these up soon and hopefully we can get a bigger crowd!

Thanks, man. You too. I could not seem to put your Tager away. Solid stuff. What was that grab that was destroying around 50% of my health? Jesus, lol.

I was pretty impressed with how the game performed on a 2-3 bar connection. Although, I wasn't trying to do anything too fancy :) I hope to get some more time with the game so that I can do something more interesting than poke.

Sorry to anyone that joined as a spectator and didn't get to play. I was desperately trying to figure out how to pass it over to another person, but the "Pass" button wasn't doing a damn thing. Again, need more than one day with the game.

Thanks, man. You too. I could not seem to put your Tager away. Solid stuff. What was that grab that was destroying around 50% of my health? Jesus, lol.

I was pretty impressed with how the game performed on a 2-3 bar connection. Although, I wasn't trying to do anything too fancy :) I hope to get some more time with the game so that I can do something more interesting than poke.

Sorry to anyone that joined as a spectator and didn't get to play. I was desperately trying to figure out how to pass it over to another person, but the "Pass" button wasn't doing a damn thing. Again, need more than one day with the game.

I don't think the spectators were gaffers =/

And The Tager stuff was some heavy hitting loop I came up with in training mode that is a variation of some CT stuff I did. I kept dropping the Spark Bolt tMagna Tech Wheel to end the combo, though lol. And the connection was great for a 2-3 bar. Arc Systems is the best with their net codes

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Tager's changed spark bolt and not being able to 720 out of 5b are throwing me off my game a lot. He uses 3C for damn near everything now, so weird.

Tager's changed spark bolt and not being able to 720 out of 5b are throwing me off my game a lot. He uses 3C for damn near everything now, so weird.

I know =( He feels totally different than what I was used to. I have alot of work if I want to keep using him. Oh well, he is still fun.... I suppose

Roto13

What's the point of "Stylish" controls? It sounds like it's supposed to be like the "Simple" controls in Marvel vs. Capcom 3, except they don't work. It's like two buttons do combos (one each), one does throws, and one does random ineffective shit. How would these ever help anyone do anything? You'd be better off just button mashing.

FSLink

Banned
What's the point of "Stylish" controls? It sounds like it's supposed to be like the "Simple" controls in Marvel vs. Capcom 3, except they don't work. It's like two buttons do combos (one each), one does throws, and one does random ineffective shit. How would these ever help anyone do anything? You'd be better off just button mashing.

It's just something fighting game devs feel like putting in to appease the casuals. At least BB gives an actual tutorial unlike most other fighting games so if they want to transition from "Stylish" to "Technical", they can if they want to.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

It's more effective with certain characters, since some drives aren't meant for combos. You can also hold the button to do distortions.

It does limit you, though, since your options aren't even close to what the character can fully do. You also can't burst out of combos.

cj_iwakura

I really wish there was a System Voice of Tager censor yelling everything.

You mean like taking a
INFERNO DIVIDER
and putting it in a
CARNAGE SCISSOR
?

And the best joke endings-

CT: Ragna's. Oh my god.
He screamed like a little girl.
THE VALLEY OR THE SEA! PICK ONE ALREADY!

CS: Rachel's.
I haaate you! I LOOOOOVE YOU!

Does CSEX have the CT joke endings? If not, so glad I still own CT.

Durask

Question about PS3 version.

I bought previous two BB games for my Xbox, but this time I bought a PS3 version because most of my friends own PS3s so that we could play against each other.

It seems to me that the graphics of the PS3 version are not as sharp as the Xbox versions of previous BB games.

Of note, on my TV the default display overscans, I have to set display to Type B in order for the game to scale correctly.

Will try hooking up my PS3 to another TV and see what happens...

Enordash

I don't think the spectators were gaffers =/

And The Tager stuff was some heavy hitting loop I came up with in training mode that is a variation of some CT stuff I did. I kept dropping the Spark Bolt tMagna Tech Wheel to end the combo, though lol. And the connection was great for a 2-3 bar. Arc Systems is the best with their net codes

Oh, well if they weren't gaffers, I don't feel bad in the slightest :)

I'm so free in this game. Anyone want to teach me how to block?

Seriously, I can't block for shit. I just crumble under pressure and even worse, get counterhit.

Question about PS3 version.

I bought previous two BB games for my Xbox, but this time I bought a PS3 version because most of my friends own PS3s so that we could play against each other.

It seems to me that the graphics of the PS3 version are not as sharp as the Xbox versions of previous BB games.

Of note, on my TV the default display overscans, I have to set display to Type B in order for the game to scale correctly.

Will try hooking up my PS3 to another TV and see what happens...

360 has a better scaler than PS3. Even better, 360 should actually support the native arcade resolution of 1388x786 if you use VGA. I remember I did that with CT.

StayDead

Shopto just dispatched my copy so I should have it tommorow (360). Really looking forward to playing BlazBlue again. I fired up CSII for the first time in ages today to go through platinums challenges and try and remember how to use a fightstick, but I got them to the same place I had before.

Thankfully CSE's platinum challenges don't have some that require some stupid timings with items that are somewhat broken in CSII. :p

Volcynika

Oh really now... hmmm... haven't seen it yet, but I'm in Canada... we always seem to get BlazBlue late... :(

I think it's something with the part-French manuals or something.

Hey PS3 guys let's do a team tourney sometime and I will reserve Q for my team. :D

alstein

What's the fastest way to unlock stuff(read: get to Lv. 12) offline?

Play ranked to get to lvl 12, play that abyss mode level 100 for 7-8k credit per easy run. The level 500 one you can get screwed eventually with an unlimited Nu or something.

Just got the game last Friday and I haven't had much time to play, but now I'm just finishing up on the story modes.

I think I'm ready to get my scrub ass kicked online.
PSN is sdarkshadow, if anyone wants to spar.

Hope to see some people online.

Volcynika

I just did a toooooooon of single player stuff this weekend, only did like 3 or so ranked matches online. So would be good to play some people.

I'm the inferior twin though, ass execution. lawlz. Having trouble with her 6th mission. Fuck dashing timing.

My execution in CS wasn't so great for a lot of her stuff in the previous games, but it's unfair to compare execution in this to, say, SSFIV. I think I only got like like 75% of the combo challenges done in CS, for example.

My Ibuki, on the other hand... ;)

Salaadin

I see the OP says
I am one of those people who play fighting games for single player content. What's in it for me?

Well, If you played CT and CS, the only new story mode content is for Makoto, Valkenhayn, Platinum and Relius. The original CT and CS story modes are included for the rest of the cast.
Additionally there are new-to-console vs. CPU modes, such as Unlimited Mars mode if you like a challenge.

The way Im reading it is that this game has Calamity Triggers story content, Continuum Shifts story content, AND new stuff for Makoto, Valkenhayn, Platinum and Relius. Is that right?

As someone who hasnt played Blazblue since the first game, this is huge for me.
Im pretty bad at fighting games but always enjoyed them regardless. I rarely ever take them online though so a meaty single player component is very important to me.

I see the OP says

The way Im reading it is that this game has Calamity Triggers story content, Continuum Shifts story content, AND new stuff for Makoto, Valkenhayn, Platinum and Relius. Is that right?

As someone who hasnt played Blazblue since the first game, this is huge for me.
Im pretty bad at fighting games but always enjoyed them regardless. I rarely ever take them online though so a meaty single player component is very important to me.

Yeah, there is a tighter reconstruction of CT's story, the CS story in its entirety, and the new stories for Makoto, Platinum, Valkenhayn and Relius that were previously only in the 3DS and PSP ports of CS2.

I'm really salty about "Super BlazBlue II: Arcade Edition" only having one character. lol

I would like to see new blood like Kokonoe, Torakaka, and yes, Jubei in action, but I'm sure they're being saved for BlazBlue III, which is what I'm waiting for at this point. lol

Besides that, who are top-tier in Extend? I'm sure Relius has to be. lol

Busaiku

AGH

I hate trying to get the Air Persia followups in the air.
I keep the thinking the Air Persia itself is supposed to hit, so I wait to confirm on that.

And mashing doesn't work either.
GAH

Top Bottom