• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple reports of joycon connectivity issues in Switch previews

ironcreed

Banned
Wait until kids start breaking and losing them or another one of the pieces. Too many moving parts and accessories that make up the system, but Nintendo loves that sort of thing.

sanstesy

One thing that tells me this may not be a software issue is that it's only a small percentage of media people who have this problem. Sounds more like faulty units to me.

One thing that tells me this may not be a software issue is that it's only a small percentage of media people who have this problem. Sounds more like faulty units to me.

It sounds like a wireless interference issue, which would make sense for only the left joycons if it is a master/slave setup like some people are thinking.

So that would differ based on the wireless signals at the location of each reviewer, i.e. their wifi router settings.

How is that possible? Hello QA?

Modern consumer electronics and software are extremely complex systems, and there are nearly infinite external factors and environmental configurations they can be used at. This isn't uncommon... most hardware and software gets day 1 patches and firmware updates to fix issues and bugs these days. QA can't catch everything.

Lgndryhr

I am wonder how many media outlets are having this issue. Would be curious on a ratio of this.

I am glad though that I did pre-order a pro controller. Hope this is sorted out. I feel like we need more info of when this happens exactly and how often the frequency. As well as the environment this happens in. Wonder if there is some kind of frequency interference. As we go more and more wireless with electronics we run this risk.

Gestault

It doesn't appear that there are issues with the L-Joycon when it's attached to the Switch itself (not that there shouldn't be, but you never know), but I'm wondering if this issue replicates itself while it's on either of the grips.

Is the standard grip included with the system a charger caddy, or just the frame to hold them comfortable in place?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Preview events aren't really a good indicator for the performance under intensive everyday use.
Well Arms was played all day long by journalists, bloggers and people with youtube and twitter accounts.

Whatever the reason for this bad lot, let's hope they figure the fix out this week. Having to send a brand new unit for replacement sucks.

Geg

It's definitely worrying and shouldn't be dismissed as "Nintendo will fix it, time to move on." Hopefully it's something they can address easily.

Interesting. Wouldn't be surprised if Switch was prototyped with left Joy-Con being more like right one, then subject to budge cuts.

I don't see how that makes sense.

Why not? The reports say this is happening when the left joycon is over 6 feet away from the console, which would indicate the signal from the left joycon is encountering interference between leaving the left joycon and getting to the console. People on the past couple pages have speculated that the left joycon could be communicating directly to the right joycon, and the right joycon sends both signals to the console, which is a master/slave arrangement. Sorta like the wiimote and nunchuk, although wireless.

If this is indeed the case, the left joycon signal has much longer path to travel which essentially would open it up more to wireless interference.

Edit: Nevermind, you explained it above.

Gotcha, I'll keep the explanation here for others though. This is all obviously speculation.

The more I sit on it the more I'm feeling I'll just wait to pick up a Switch closer to the Mario Odyssey release. I really want to play Zelda but I also want them to work out some of these kinks first.

Effect

Why not? The reports say this is happening when the left joycon is over 6 feet away from the console, which would indicate the signal from the left joycon is encountering interference between leaving the left joycon and getting to the console. People on the past couple pages have speculated that the left joycon could be communicating directly to the right joycon, and the right joycon sends both signals to the console, which is a master/slave arrangement. Sorta like the wiimote and nunchuk, although wireless.

If this is indeed the case, the left joycon signal has much longer path to travel which essentially would open it up more to wireless interference.

Oh it's a distance issue at play here likely combined with a interference issue? Haven't had a chance to read the reports but that makes me feel a lot better. Still a problem but if you have to be at least over 6 feet away give or take a few inches then most people shouldn't encounter to many issues if it takes a while to fix.

If that's really the case then I think that should be added to the opening page if it's not already there so people don't meltdown.

Oh it's a distance issue at play here likely combined with a interference issue? Haven't had a chance to read the reports but that makes me feel a lot better. Still a problem but if you have to be at least over 6 feet away give or take a few inches then most people shouldn't encounter to many issues if it takes a while to fix.

If that's really the case then I think that should be added to the opening page if it's not already there so people don't meltdown.

That's what I read in the other thread.

If this is indeed a wireless interference issue then I suspect very few owners will actually have this problem, unless you have some interesting wifi router settings. Hopefully Nintendo will address it anyway with some guidelines on how to avoid this problem, like how to change your router settings.

HardRojo

Dismissing this as "it will be fixed with a day one patch" isn't helpful, neither is "the switch is doomed". The correct play is to make noise about this so that Nintendo addresses it and tells us whether it's a hardware or software issue and gives us a plan of action to fix it.

They've been staggeringly opaque with the switch and they need to be more transparent.
In an ideal word this would be the common course of action, but you'll see most people either ridiculously downplaying the issue or making it look way worse than it might actually be.

Unacceptable for when I'm tryna strut my stuff in "Runway" in 1 2 Switch. Kate Moss would be devastated.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ugh, not good if this is a widespread issue. Do not look forward to having to deal with that mess...

Yep. Done. Lets move on folks.

Fuck that. If this is indeed a hardware issue it's gonna be a major pain in the ass to have to deal with that, not being able to use the console properly until it's fixed, etc.

Six feet is a really fucking short distance. I sit at least 8 feet from my consoles. Am I supposed to put the damn thing on the floor three feet in front of my TV so I don't run into this issue?
The gloom and doom is out of control here, but too many people are too quick to paint this as no big deal as well.

Effect

They are probably even more strenuous, given the interference.

This. At a preview event you have multiple units in close proximity along with various types of cell phones and likely several internet access points. Units are being used for hours non-stop since the joycons are suppose to have a 20 hour battery limit. It's like the ideal stress test.

Neoxon

I wonder if it's a type of interference going on in the offices where these guys are playing the games. Whatever it is, I hope Nintendo takes the reports seriously and works to fix it.
Same. Thankfully I got the Gray Switch, so I may be able to get a replacement easier if it comes to that.

lenovox1

I'm really hyped for the switch, but I completely agree with this.

My impression, for launch line-up to missing features and adding these hardware problems is that the console HAD to come out before the end of this fiscal year.

Problems? As in more than one?

We will see. Is it affecting multiple software or only Zelda? Do they have their phones on wifi/Bluetooth/4g nearby? Is it a smart TV connected to wifi? Do they live in an apartment complex or in a office with dozens of wifi access points?

The Xbox one controller disconnected constantly for me if I had my phone anywhere near the console or controller and often even if I didn't. These kinds of issues are not unheard of. Look up Xbox one controller disconnected on Google and get hundreds of forum posts and complaints.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I wonder if it's a type of interference going on in the offices where these guys are playing the games. Whatever it is, I hope Nintendo takes the reports seriously and works to fix it.

Surely they would have had similar issue with other wireless controllers if that were the case. If they did, they wouldn't be making a big deal out of this.

Top Bottom