• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Satisfaction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madouu

Oh fuck, she's totally that kind of customer...

Anecdotal evidence here too but I was at my girlfriend's family place recently and the subject came up with her cousins who are occasional gamers. Sure enough, they thought the gamepad was an add-on for the wii. I had to clear up the confusion but I do wonder how many people share their belief. I don't think the issue is the name but more the poor advertisement the console got so far.

Anyway, I hope she does get you the console, I had it since launch and I love the thing!

I think I'm getting a Wii U for my birfday next week. Keeping my fingers crossed that my non gaming wife has picked up on the clues, which has consisted of me saying how I would really like a Wii U for my birfday.

I think you pretty much have the Wii U secured with that clue, well played.

Hope to hear from you soon on the experience with it!!

Fandangox

Anyone knows when the eShop updates? I want to download F-Zero SNES nooow.

Also there's a 30% off sale on ZombiU, Assassins Creed 3, and 4 other games at the eShop right now.

Brofield

It's one thing to talk about how happy you are with the console (as I am, love it to bits), but I have a question about the Pro controllers. While it does look enticing, the control sticks seem too awkwardly placed for the inevitable claw that will arise from playing Monster Hunter 3 U.

Which leads me to my question(s): Has anyone gotten a chance to use the Nyko version of the pro controller and how it holds up to Nintendo's official version, and if not, has anyone even seen it in stores? Would like to compare the two myself, but right now I'm the only one among even my extended friends that owns a Wii U, and I'm not sure if living in Canada has been a hindrance in trying to find one in stores.

jmizzal

Anyone knows when the eShop updates? I want to download F-Zero SNES nooow.

Also there's a 30% off sale on ZombiU, Assassins Creed 3, and 4 other games at the eShop right now.

I only can remember 1 time it updated at 12 am est. that was the Rayman and Sonic Demo.

jmizzal

I'm def satisfied with my WiiU i'm a PC/WiiU gamer, I still dont have all the games I want from launch, need AC3 and Mass Effect 3, been waiting for price drops. AC3 has dropped so I will get it in March.

I havent seen ME3 WiiU price drop anywhere even tho its the 2nd oldest WiiU port after Batman, well thats EA for you.

Kolgar

Goodness gracious, I wonder if I ever enjoyed unboxing a console as much as this.

First off--and maybe it's just me--but I think the WiiU is beautiful. That glossy black console is like a thing from another world, such that even my girlfriend remarked how pretty it is.

A fingerprint magnet, sure--but that's why I handled everything using soft cloths--so it can all stay perfect for just one day.

It took a while to get going, as the Gamepad needed a good two or three hours to charge. But I dig the stands that come with it--again, I just think the Gamepad looks aces sitting up on one of those.

To my relief, the ZombiU consoles come with up-to-date system software--no need to endure a long update. Good thing, too because one you turn this machine on and that relaxing, melodic mix of music teases you from both television and Gamepad, all you want to do is dive in.

Nintendo could have been more clear about what a Nintendo Online Profile is--I thought I might already have had one with either my Wii or 3DS, but I actually needed to create one. Not a big deal, but I could see casuals getting badly confused.

So I set everything up and downloaded Nintendoland via the included digital code. That took about 45 minutes to download and maybe another 20 or so to install. But the download happened in the background, so I was able to do other things, such as salivate over the Mighty Switch Force video on the eShop. Think I'll be buying that.

Next time I sit down, I'm going to transfer my Wii data over. Hope I can just move the Virtual Console games, as opposed to Wii game saves, as I still plan to use my Wii in the living room.

So I came away impressed by the beauty and, yes, even elegance of the system. And also a little frustrated that so many are so eager to bag on this hardware without having experienced it for themselves. The WiiU really is a nice machine, and I got a lot more in the box ("tablet" controller, Pro Controller, two games, vertical stand, HDMI cable, sensor bar--all for a lot less money) than I did with my $599 original PS3 or even my $399 Premium Xbox 360 several years ago.

I think my next purchase is going to be from the eShop in the form of Nano Assault Neo (I think it's called). I adored the 3DS game and seeing those neon nano-pixels light up my bedroom LCD last night just made me all tingly inside.

Nintendo looks glorious in HD!

Good to know they are including the update.

IMO it was made a bigger issue than it actually is. But I could see some people frustrated about it. Mine took 45min to update.

Psykotik

i was pretty satisfied with my wii u.

until i got the blue blinking light of death yesterday.

can't send it out to get fixed since i got it off ebay and i live in asia.

so i'm stuck with a paperweight.

i'll wait till a hardware revision and more killer apps before i buy a new replacement.

DasMarcos

Banned

i'll wait till a hardware revision and more killer apps before i buy a new replacement.

Very sorry to hear that. Does anyone know how prevalent the "blue blinking light of death" is?

I'm still holding off on getting the Wii U and a lot will depend on what Sony has to offer tonight.

Psykotik

That's honestly the first I've ever heard of it...

it's apparently pretty common. sometimes even out of the box. try googling 'blue blinking light of death wii u'. seems to be a hardware failure with no DIY fix.

i actually dont feel TOO bummed out about it since i hadn't really invested in the console much. it still sucks though.

only had black ops 2, NSMBU and zombi u (and nintendoland)

i lose all my eshop titles though, trine 2, little inferno, nano assault neo and balloon fight, since they're all tied to the now dead console.

hope there's a way to redownload them onto a new console in the future.

Effect

:( That really does suck.

SmokeMaxX

ship it to a Gaffer have them claim warranty then have then ship it back to you. Give them a little cash for the trouble. I'd be willing to do that and it'd be cheaper than buying another one haha

ThaGuy

I wonder if there will be a way to eventually put your friends list icon on the U's menu screen? Thats one little annoyance I have.

roddur

but can't you use the standard 1 yr warranty?

extralite

Made the transfer today and it was kinda worth it just for the Pikmin animation. DQX looks a lot better with an HDMI cable, I was impressed. Wii Street U was pretty cool too and this kind of camera is also already used in games, definitely want more of that.

Nintendo Land is still my only U game and it feels like the Wuhu Island of Wii Play Motion, with added classic franchises. If casuals were still on board (or come back later), this could convert them to become "real gamers" (lol). Anyway, I don't regret getting this over NSMBU.

PhantomR

Banned

Is your system a North American system?

guek

Banned
If you make a big enough stink about how you've been a diehard nintendo fan all your life, you might be able to get them to pay for shipping :p

RMI

Banned
I will know how satisfied I am as soon as I download the MH3U demo tomorrow. It's mostly just been a balloon fight machine for me and my gf.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
By the way, how are people getting Zombi U Deluxe sets already? Wouldn't they need to sell out the massive unsold inventory before ordering additional supply? Did NOA do a buy-back of the unsold Deluxe units? Can regular Deluxe still be bought?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm pretty bummed that they shipped the gamepad with such a small battery, but I'm still determined to get this as a birthday gift for my daughter. Quick question: can I charge the gamepad while playing? I know it can't charge via USB, but can I have it plugged into the wall while playing a game on it?

guek

Banned
I'm pretty bummed that they shipped the gamepad with such a small battery, but I'm still determined to get this as a birthday gift for my daughter. Quick question: can I charge the gamepad while playing? I know it can't charge via USB, but can I have it plugged into the wall while playing a game on it?

Yes

Next time I sit down, I'm going to transfer my Wii data over. Hope I can just move the Virtual Console games, as opposed to Wii game saves, as I still plan to use my Wii in the living room.

Warning!!! The transfer auto-deletes everything on your Wii. Be sure to back up your Wii saves to a separate SD card (or move them temporarily onto your PC) before doing the transfer!

There are apparently a couple third-party solutions to charge a gamepad over USB. I recall that a month or two ago some GAFfers complained that retail shops were selling 3DS USB chargers as gamepad chargers (they are not compatible), but perhaps the situation has improved.

I see these after a quick search:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nyko+-+...bolsp-app04-67?id=1218813791935&skuId=6914733

http://www.ecrater.com/p/16974566/usb-data-sync-charger-charging?gps=1

They're probably both tenuous at best (especially the Nyko one, which claims that it can also charger 3DS, so it's probably still bunk), but I think we'll see something eventually that'll work with USB. I am a little miffed that Nintendo hasn't just standardized on MicroUSB or (better, since I have all these extra cables lying around!) MiniUSB.

yeah you can plug it in while playing, the cable is a decent length too imo, some third party is releasing an extended battery for it too

There are apparently a couple third-party solutions to charge a gamepad over USB. I recall that a month or two ago some GAFfers complained that retail shops were selling 3DS USB chargers as gamepad chargers (they are not compatible), but perhaps the situation has improved.

I see these after a quick search:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nyko+-+...bolsp-app04-67?id=1218813791935&skuId=6914733

http://www.ecrater.com/p/16974566/usb-data-sync-charger-charging?gps=1

They're probably both tenuous at best (especially the Nyko one, which claims that it can also charger 3DS, so it's probably still bunk), but I think we'll see something eventually that'll work with USB. I am a little miffed that Nintendo hasn't just standardized on MicroUSB or (better, since I have all these extra cables lying around!) MiniUSB.

I really don't see how the Wii U USB ports could charge the Gamepad if they don't even have enough juice to run a HHD without a Y cable or external power source...

dwu8991

Banned
watchin the PS4 launch on the WiiU - could be the end of WiiU as we know it, which would be ironic to see the future end the WiiU on the WiiU gamepad !

That1Guy

Had a chance to play one at my friend's house over Christmas and just cashed in on the Costco deal. Very happy with my purchase and happy to get it at a discounted price even though they said there would be no price cuts this year.

Because the PS4 announcement might make people not want the Wii U and 3rd parties will stop putting their games on it....but that has already happened... :confused:
or maybe make people actually want one? Honestly, I have kept my expectations for being surprised to a minimum. There will probably only be hyperrealistic graphics and demos of games where you can't tell shit about gameplay.

But still hyped :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom