• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

ldyNywV.jpg

Where's my Miyako route? :(

wife or mistress?
Both ! why choose ?
I'm fine with status quo.

I watched the first 3 episodes and decided I didn't like it.
Ok then , reason why the teacup is on her head
Demon lord and female knight made friendship pact , both girls have the hero has their target , both have made their intentions clear enough. The 2 girls stay friends anyway .. Demon lord had to leave for a long period of time. During her absence , female knight give her sword to the hero ..it's a sort of a pledge ..meaning , that she will follow him regardless where he goes. Later once demon lord came back, during a friend talk , female knight tell the demon lord that she ..gave "it" to the hero , demon lord think it's the other thing and is relieved to hear that it's only the sword that was given ( no pun here ). the teacup part happenned because they were both enjoying a drink during the scene and demon lord was really surprised by the sudden revelation ( during the small moment where there was a misunderstanding )

Long thing short, as of the end of the anime

Demon lord
is still contracted to the hero making her the wife
( in the relationships )
Female knight
Promised to follow the hero regardless of where he goes and regardless of his actions making her somehow the mistress
( in the relationships )

As in could we get in trouble on GAF for stuff said in IRC? Based on what gets posted in there I'd say no.

BUt IRC GAF never forget... it doesn't matter if there is no mods on irc , if you do something , it will be remembered untill the end of time

Moonlight

Banned
Haven't actually tuned into this thread in a while, and I'm really late to the party with this, but just finished watching Little Witch Academia. I think it's ended my short estrangement with the medium.

Little Witch Academia

I'll endeavor not to tread too much old ground with this impression, but I really can't impress upon this enough: Little Witch Academia is a visual masterpiece. It's extravagant, it's vibrant, it's beautiful, and it's just gorgeous to behold in its' exaggerations and its' expressiveness. It's dense, yet held aloft by some fantastic pacing and energy. The premise is nothing so extraordinary, but I don't really see this as any sort of mark against it - the entire production is executed with such grace and such utter confidence that it's impossible to knock it down for something as trivial as that.

Suzy is by far the stand-out character, as an aside. Actually, if there's something I could really add onto my impressions, I really love how effective the production is in making you immediately understand what you need to know about a character. It's just a really graceful approach to it. There's no hamfisted expository narration or conversations or anything, you're dropped into their group dynamic and you can immediately figure out what you need to know about them from there.

I really can't wait to see what Trigger has in store for us.

Shergal

Little Witch Academia
Actually, if there's something I could really add onto my impressions, I really love how effective the production is in making you immediately understand what you need to know about a character. It's just a really graceful approach to it. There's no hamfisted expository narration or conversations or anything, you're dropped into their group dynamic and you can immediately figure out what you need to know about them from there.

That's one of the most effective things about LWA and its exaggerated expression. The animation and storyboard tell you everything you need to know about the characters, story and mood. Dialogue isn't even necessary to bask in the experience. The acting is very transparent and well-executed, with little visual cues here and there like Akko setting on fire when she's excited or going totally red when she's angry. It's one thing western cartoons do really, really well, and it's also something that anime often lacks. Of course, Yoshinari's particular sensibility goes hand-in-hand with this type of presentation, but it's refreshing to see something like that combined with the Japanese technique and process for animating that makes it so particular.

The FX were also fucking crazy.

Mature

I turned 21 today. I still feel more like a 16-year old pretending to be older. Having my birthday on Easter Monday sucks since almost everything was closed.

Enough /blogging and time for anime!
I'm late, but happy birthday! I'm a bit older, but I feel the same way, hah.

Samurai Champloo - 10

The Ki may beat the Sword.
But the Dagger beats the Ki.

Seems like this is gonna be a two-parter.
I can't really put my finger on why, but this is one of my favorite episodes. Mugen became a real character after this episode, I thought. Also, Shiryou(?) was a bad ass.

Instro

Sasami End

Well, if nothing else, Sasami generally showed a significant improvement in Shaft's background work, at least depending on the episode anyway. The animation was pretty top tier in a number of episodes as well.

Bad show though.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Sasami End

Well, if nothing else, Sasami generally showed a significant improvement in Shaft's background work, at least depending on the episode anyway. The animation was pretty top tier in a number of episodes as well.

Bad show though.

All I needed to know.

Shergal

Hyouka 22 (Rewatch)

And finally, I end the show again. With Winter season ending, LWA coming out and some other stuff I hadn't gotten in the mood for some Hyouka, but halfway through the episode I was already sucked in and enjoying it like always. What a good series, really one of the best in recent memory.
With the finale, the show goes back into themes presented in the first couple of episodes that were gradually developing on the background to the characters and story. We're again dealing with the contrast between "grey" and "pink", or the ways Oreki and Chitanda perceive the world. Of course, the two characters we're dealing with have changed a lot from the early episodes, and those changes allow the situation at the end of this episode to arise and have its impact. Even with Chitanda's apologetic monologue, Oreki's growing "rose-colored" attitude is what dominates in the episode, so much that the whole show ends with the two leads staring into a blinding pink flare. It's nice that the roles were somewhat reversed, only to go back again at the very end with Oreki's "It's getting cold" answered by Chitanda with "No, it's Spring". Puts things into perspective.

This episode in particular was very Japanese. A lot of references to traditionalist Japanese families/values in Chitanda's situation and the trouble with the bridge. There was also the glorified religious ritual with Oreki's game-changing moment. That's one part of the show I'll never get- this stuff is totally alien and unappealing to me and I can't connect with a culture that finds it dignifying, and a person who is mesmerized by it. I can maybe understand why that happens, but it doesn't quite reach me in the same way other topics in Hyouka did.

Other thing I noticed is that there were many pillow shots, which sort of fits in the episode nicely. More importantly, Kyoani's mastery of the craft is always present to make it a feast for the eyes.

Obviously, Takemoto storyboarded the finale, but he didn't direct it- Ishidate did. I wonder what input he had on the episode, if any.
The animation started off scarce and somehow off-model, but gradually got better, and by the time the parade had ended it was at the top of the game for the series. The final sequence was gorgeous in every way, and one of the best scenes in the whole show. They really like endings, don't they?

I am very fond of this series, and I really enjoyed writing about it. It served me to put my thoughts in order while rewatching it, and also to train my English writing skills. Thanks to everyone who read even one of those posts, they must seem like long pointless stretches to many, lol. I was often surprised that I could write paragraphs and paragraphs for each episode, when before starting it seemed like I had nothing to say at all.

Here's hoping Kyoani can reach this level of finesse again with future projects, and that they abandon the Chuu2s for good. Give Takemoto another project!

cajunator

Banned
Was showing my friend Steins;Gate again today. We last left off on episode 08, so he wasn't 100% intrigued yet, but then THAT episode rolled around and we made it to around episode 16 before calling it quits again. I also think it is evil that Funimation split the series up into two releases, the first of which ends on THAT EPISODE. Evil motherfuckers they are.

Also, someone sent him a picture of Meat from Haganai and he totally fell in love with her and made her his wallpaper, so I guess add another one to Team Meat.

Sucy is best girl

kotoura 12

feel good finisher. Poor president :(

Not enough successful love this show.

mom is back. Such a dick. but sappy conclusion.

At least we get our true ending.

Happy ending!

Didn't watch many shows this season, but this was a surprise (usually) fun cute show. Kotoura is god tier cute. Would hug.

That sums up the show rather well.

As in could we get in trouble on GAF for stuff said in IRC? Based on what gets posted in there I'd say no.

You can actually. One Gaffer got perm-banned for activity in IRC before. Not an animeGaffer though.

Wide Miyako best Miyako.

I hnnnged.

obin_gam

First of all, that Gargantua series seems so wonderful, can't wait for it! Just so colorful and pleasant looking :)

Secondly, are there any animes that could be compared to Battlestar Galactica? I'm in the mood for some serious space opera stuff with war and underlying political conflicts and stuff like that.

Milamber

Secondly, are there any animes that could be compared to Battlestar Galactica? I'm in the mood for some serious space opera stuff with war and underlying political conflicts and stuff like that.

Space Battleship Yamato is good. Don't know about the 2199 version though.

Milamber

Could you guys give a brief description of what they are about?
Space Battleship Yamato (1974)
In the distant future, the war between the human race and the Gamilon has taken its toll on the planet Earth. Constant bombardment of radioactive asteroids has rendered the planet's atmosphere uninhabitable. As a means of relief aid, Queen Starsha of the planet Iscandar offers the Earth Forces a device that can completely neutalize the radiation off the planet. For this task, the space battleship Yamato is launched from the remains of its World War II ancestor on a 148,000 light-year journey. However, the crew of the Yamato has only one Earth year to travel to Iscandar and back, or the human race will come to an end.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Was it a *.net *.split? I hope not because that happens all the time and I would have to start questioning if this is your first time on IRC and thus the kayos I've been talking was a fake all along.

HA HA HA HA HA HA.

Oh shit. My cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom