• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoh Yoshinari's Little Witch Academia: "Awesome free cartoon on Youtube"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

Uploading this to Youtube was a great excuse to watch this a second time. It's a ton of fun.

I really like that they made it freely available to everyone, but calling it a "free cartoon on Youtube" makes it sound like way less than it is.

rpmurphy

Okay, after watching it again a third time, I noticed something: where did they get the brooms if they didn't bring any going into the dungeon?

sonicmj1

Okay, after watching it again a third time, I noticed something: where did they get the brooms if they didn't bring any going into the dungeon?

"If these weren't old pieces of junk..."

They found those brooms lying around in that giant storage closet of a room.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
you know what?

that was alright.

top youtube comment points out that you should return to the 13 second mark after watching

nice

Necrovex

Finally watched this, and I want a full TV show of it. Like now. So bloody good. It's like if Harry Potter was all about moe girls and was actually good.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I just finished it.... what a nice charming show, I will look forward to next week. Wait.. it is only one episode??? WHY???

FK YOU GAF!

Soma

Hah. I only just now read up on the names of Diana's two lackey girls: "Hanna" and "Barbara"

Pretty neat.

7Th

Little Witch Academia producer Nakao Tsutumi explictly says that if the OVA/short-film is popular they would love to do more in order to expand the stories of the many characters:

Tatsumi: In 25 minutes, you can’t tell everything you want to tell. We created many stories for the world (of Little Witch Academia) that we would like to be able to create if the project is a big success. Something like a TV series could be created in order to develop the stories of the many characters.

http://www.studio-trigger.com/special-2.html

TRIGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER

Moonlight

Banned
d7TBk.gif

Will poverty witch's tragic story be revealed?

I liked the animation and music a lot, the short is lighthearted and entertaining to watch.

Is there other stuff of this quality?

I don't really watch anime normally, I've seen the original 24? neon genesis episodes, the first eva movie, full metal alchemist and all the ghibli movies but that's about it.

I would love to watch more stuff akin to this or the ghibli movies (fantasy, adventure stuff that tickles the imagination and tells an endearing story)

phaze

I watch a very scant amount of anime but found it it very enjoyable. No unnecessary padding, great style animation and music.
Simplistic but heartwarming plot that achieves exactly what it set out to do.

It would have slipped past my radar so thanks for the thread.

tafer

I'm speechless, these guys masterfully achieved in 26 minutes more content than many others within entire movies or even seasons. Not to mention that beautiful art and animation.

Thanks!

I'm zoning out from lack of sleep and just decided for whatever reason to click this thread and then the link.

I'm not a fan of anime in general.

I really enjoyed this.

Thanks.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Saw gifs of this in the pics that make you laugh thread. I never ever watch anything even remotely resembling anime featuring little witch girls, but goddamn this looks really well done.

In a way I really want this to become a new series, but also I like the idea that it will forever remain 24~ minutes of animation that could put most modern animated series in their entireity (regardless of where they were made) to utter shame in terms of animation and direction.

This really was a pleasant surprise. I would go so far to say it's the best I've seen in the genre.

I love Akko and the little goth girl (the one in Branduil's avatar)

Myriadis

I don't watch much anime (Studio Ghibli, Samurai Champloo, FLCL, Eden of the East and that's it), but I loved, loved this one. I'm not a big fan of the witch theme, but it does it well with some nice parodies of it. Superb animation and wonderful characters. Full of excellent humor and charming characters. I'd like to watch more from them.

PK Gaming

Little Witch Academia was amazing

It's definitely not a "hnng, loli" animated short that make people are making it out to be

They absolutely need to make this into an animated series, dead serious

Risette

A Good Citizen
I liked the animation and music a lot, the short is lighthearted and entertaining to watch.

Is there other stuff of this quality?

I don't really watch anime normally, I've seen the original 24? neon genesis episodes, the first eva movie, full metal alchemist and all the ghibli movies but that's about it.

I would love to watch more stuff akin to this or the ghibli movies (fantasy, adventure stuff that tickles the imagination and tells an endearing story)
Gauche the Cellist
Kenya Boy

I don't watch much anime (Studio Ghibli, Samurai Champloo, FLCL, Eden of the East and that's it), but I loved, loved this one. I'm not a big fan of the witch theme, but it does it well with some nice parodies of it. Superb animation and wonderful characters. Full of excellent humor and charming characters. I'd like to watch more from them.

You should watch Inferno Cop from the same studio. I think it's all on youtube.

Malajax

Huh. Me and a friend just finished watching Redline (pretty godlike) and my friend gave this a recommendation. Pretty much any anime he recommends I have to be wary about because he's into some really weird stuff. Really cool to see it get some really high praise on GAF.

Added to my watch later queue. Gonna catch up on my other shows first.

animation is good but it still does not match Disney Quality.

If someone with knowledge may chime in... why it still does not meet Disney quality of yore? is it lack of keyframes?

Necrovex

If someone with knowledge may chime in... why it still does not meet Disney quality of yore? is it lack of keyframes?

I'm assuming budget. I would think a Disney's animation production budget would be far higher than LWA's budget.

While the early films of Toei in the 1960s, when the studio was trying to be the "Disney of the East", closely imitated the very fluid animation of classic Disney films, ever since Osamu Tezuka pioneered his style of limited animation for his Astro Boy TV series, that has become the standard for Japanese animation. Not only does it save time and money, which Japanese productions have much less of compared to Western productions, but it has also become a stylistic hallmark of the medium. Great Japanese animators have developed their style to deal with the restrictions of limited animation, tending to focus on creative layouts and strong keyframes as opposed to extremely smooth motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom