• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

JoeBoy101

DrBo42 said:
So pumped. 3 more days! (If stars align)

Edit: Also I just watched The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly last night for the first time. So good. Now I'm about to watch Unforgiven for the first time.

You need to catch Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More to complete the Man With No Name Trilogy.

Also, First Class OP. Heavily psyched. This Gen has brought perhaps the best comic book adaptation in Batman: AA. Here's hoping it also gives us the best western game ever.

idahoblue said:
I'm going to wait for some GAF impressions, but I am hoping for good things. Also, wished there was a Colt 1903 Automatic Pistol there :(

It is in there.

From OP: said:
HANDGUNS
♦ Cattleman revolver
♦ Colt Police Positive revolver
♦ LeMat revolver
♦ Schofield revolver
♦ Borchardt C-93 pistol
♦ Colt 1903 pistol
♦ Mauser pistol
♦ Volcanic pistol

That is an automatic.

Zeliard

DrBo42 said:
So pumped. 3 more days! (If stars align)

Edit: Also I just watched The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly last night for the first time. So good. Now I'm about to watch Unforgiven for the first time.

Popping your cherry with those two classics? Lucky bastard.

ZZMitch said:
Still the wild west only a few years before World War I... pretty cool!

I know it's just a game but it's not really even close to historically accurate. The Wild West as we know it presented to us by films (the large towns, banditry, vigilante justice) was a very short period of time in America, not much more than a decade, let's say from 1880 to 1890.

But to create the best of the West I see why they made it so late. The game seems to take from about a centuries worth of Western settlements and different eras.

Really looking forward to it.

EzLink

Banned
Subscribed! Nice job OP

One week. Going to spend it watching Westerns

Probably going to rent 3:10 to Yuma, Unforgiven, The Proposition, and maybe some other one tonight

I've never seen a Western believe it or not. Hopefully those will give me a broad enough scope while also sending my hype levels even further through the roof

Smokey

Beast OP!

I've gotten really excited about this game in the last week or so. 3x the size of SA and 2x the size of Liberty City sounds crazy. Not to mention all of the side quests and the MP set.

EzLink said:
Subscribed! Nice job OP

Probably going to rent 3:10 to Yuma, Unforgiven, The Proposition, and maybe some other one tonight

I've never seen a Western believe it or not. Hopefully those will give me a broad enough scope while also sending my hype levels even further through the roof

You start with movies directed by Sergio Leone. From there you can branch out, but take in the best of the best first.

JoeBoy101

EzLink said:
Subscribed! Nice job OP

Add either (preferably both) The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly to that list or Fistful of Dollars. You have to watch some of the spaghetti westerns. If your interested, a couple others are:

- The Outlaw Josey Wales (very similar time period)
- Pale Rider (Second best main character past TMWNN)

And no, its just a coincidence that those are Eastwood films. :D

Drahcir

EzLink said:
Subscribed! Nice job OP

It's great to hear about people getting into westerns via video games like RDR. You might want to check out all of Leone's westerns and then all of Eastwood's westerns for starters as well. For my money, the only western anyone really needs to watch is Once Upon a Time in the West. :D

One hell of an OP. Nice work!

j8m7nr.jpg

Very excited to get my hands on this next week - seems like a great mix of single player, co-op, and versus to mess around with. :D

deadbeef

Can we get some recommendations for some pre-release/in-game music to listen to? Suggested playlists?

What was that music in that awesome GAFer-made video? I've heard it plenty of times before but I don't know the name of it.

JoeBoy101

deadbeef said:
Can we get some recommendations for some pre-release/in-game music to listen to? Suggested playlists?

What was that music in that awesome GAFer-made video? I've heard it plenty of times before but I don't know the name of it.

Ennio Morricone

I'm sure others will come up with other recommendations, but this man's work:

220px-Ennio_Morricone_66%C3%A8me_Festival_de_Venise_%28Mostra%29.jpg

is required listening. Some of the music, especially in the new TV AD and in the 'My Name Is...' trailer are heavily influenced.

A good example of his music from this scene, perhaps the best western shootout evah.

Youtube

Warning: That is a Spoiler for that movie!

owlbeak

Gonna post this one more time in hopes of getting an answer...posted it once in this thread and twice in the other RDR thread and no one has commented.

Does somebody....ANYBODY...know anything about how the multiplayer character customization works? I know it may be covered in a preview somewhere, but I don't read previews for games I really can't wait for. I like to be surprised. I haven't seen the info about it anywhere, though. Is it like GTAIV where you can choose different shirts, pants, hats, etc. or is it just limited to choosing different character models??

moai

Horsebite said:
Gonna post this one more time in hopes of getting an answer...posted it once in this thread and twice in the other RDR thread and no one has commented.

Does somebody....ANYBODY...know anything about how the multiplayer character customization works? I know it may be covered in a preview somewhere, but I don't read previews for games I really can't wait for. I like to be surprised. I haven't seen the info about it anywhere, though. Is it like GTAIV where you can choose different shirts, pants, hats, etc. or is it just limited to choosing different character models??

it seems from the previews and interviews that you can only choose from different player models, no changing hats or clothes. but i think we must wait for new info.

Nemic77

deadbeef said:

Luis Bacalov
Bruno Nicolai

Various tracks from them can be heard on Red Dead Revolver.

owlbeak

moai said:
it seems from the previews and interviews that you can only choose from different player models, no changing hats or clothes. but i think we must wait for new info.
You're a saint! I was about ready to start reading previews just to find out that info but I really didn't want to do that.

Thank you very much! That's kind of a bummer if true, as I would really like to be able to customize the clothes of my multiplayer character, but oh well.

jergrah

Fantastic official thread - kudos!

Cant wait for my Amazon Release Day delivery next week.....me thinks Ill work from home that day :)

Tek

a week from today, I will be sitting on my couch playing this instead of sitting at work.

Midnight Launch here I come!

Have they mentioned anything on stealth in this game? I know there are specific animations for pistol melee kills, but I'd like to be able to off some people with the knife if I'm trying to be sneaky. Would help out with home invasion as well.

feel

Such a clean op, great job Goldrusher. I'm so hyped for this.

About the difficulties, is expert the only way to get free aim?

I want free aim, but I don't want to get stuck in some early on mission that is just too hard because I die from 1 shot or something.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Gorechylde said:
Have they mentioned anything on stealth in this game? I know there are specific animations for pistol melee kills, but I'd like to be able to off some people with the knife if I'm trying to be sneaky. Would help out with home invasion as well.

Yep, hold on.

DrBo42

Gorechylde said:

I don't think I can bring myself to go through with a home invasion. However if the home belonged to someone I've seen do wrong by someone else, I'd put a bullet in his head and rob him for everything he had. I have a feeling that the NPCs aren't really persistent in a town setting though. Would be so awesome if they were.

Mr_Brit

Banned
DrBo42 said:
I don't think I can bring myself to go through with a home invasion. However if the home belonged to someone I've seen do wrong by someone else, I'd put a bullet in his head and rob him for everything he had. I have a feeling that the NPCs aren't really persistent in a town setting though. Would be so awesome if they were.

Well you're in luck. In a previous interview R* have said that NPCs in a town follow a set role and schedule, e.g. at 8am the barber might go to work and at 6pm close up and go to the bar. In a nutshell, it will be quite similar to Fallout 3/ Oblivion in persistence terms.

I found this on another forum, figured I'd show you fine people.

Map Scale:
11uz4gn.jpg

@Goldrusher: You should add the in-game map(the pic you made combining the two known areas was awesome) to the OP!

Top Bottom