• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
While I evidently haven't played this yet so don't really know what happens in it in flashbacks and what not, going to do the latest few rise of the warrior answers and the From Ashes video popping up just made me think that the only God of War game I would actually want at this point is going back to the actual beginning. Kratos being just a spartan man, fighting the barbarian king and losing to then call out to ares, becoming a crazy killer to then end up murdering his own family; it just would have been great to play, to see him snap and go from hardened spartan family man to crazy to god killer, it is a shame the closest we will get is if the film ever gets made.

But anyway, ordered this from SimplyGames for £36, comes with that mp mythological pack thing, it is the best I could find unless anyone else knows of a cheaper one?

BadAss2961

Amazing game - finish it last Sunday. Most of the reviews are quite unfair toward the game :/

I can't understand how every CoD title is mostly more of the same and gaming related media give 9 and higher scores, but when it's God of War, for instance, it's not good to be more of the (pretty good) same, plus GoW:A also have multiplayer.

I personally work for one of the bigger Eastern Europe news related online media and give the GoW:A quite positive review.

For a big fan of God of War 2 like myself (didn't like GoW3 that much), GoW:A is revelation.
That's good to know. While I love Gow3, GoW2 is the best game in the series purely from an adventure standpoint.

The amount of frustration was spectacular when I pressed the square button in the main menu to launch the demo of The Last of Us. A fucking countdown with 83 days and 23 hours remaining!?

Ascension is insane though. Have no fear, this is a true God of War game. Fans will not be disappointed.

Wynnebeck

Banned

Jinjo

Naughty Dog just announced that early access to the Last of Us demo won't actually be available until May 31st

https://www.facebook.com/naughtydog/posts/10152631628705246
https://twitter.com/Naughty_Dog/status/310103054039019521

Aren't they just announcing that the demo that's available for everyone that buys GoW Ascension will be released on may 31 on PSN for the general public?

"We’re pleased to announce The Last of Us demo, accessible early via God of War: Ascension, will be available May 31, 2013."

I read: "Hey guys, the last of us demo, y'know, the one that's available for GoW ascension buyers (as in: buy GoW), will be available may 31, 2013 (for everyone)."

Meh, maybe I'm just holding onto false hope. The announcement is worded a bit strange though. Guess we'll find out next week for sure.

Aren't they just announcing that the demo that's available for everyone that buys GoW Ascension will be released on may 31 on PSN for the general public?

"We’re pleased to announce The Last of Us demo, accessible early via God of War: Ascension, will be available May 31, 2013."

I read: "Hey guys, the last of us demo, y'know, the one that's available for GoW ascension buyers (as in: buy GoW), will be available may 31, 2013 (for everyone)."

Meh, maybe I'm just holding onto false hope. The announcement is worded a bit strange though. Guess we'll find out next week for sure.

You have a point but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Let me get this straight, the IGN reviewer was stuck for SIX hours on that infamous difficulty spike? Jesus...
My first playthrough will be on hard, can't wait to play that part.

Emwitus

I just saw the whole fight scene in the opening to this game and all i have to say is wow. I can't remember the last time i literally was in awe of a set piece. How do you still do this santa mon?

Jarmel

Banned

Someone needs to contact Arnie to get him to confirm.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Let me get this straight, the IGN reviewer was stuck for SIX hours on that infamous difficulty spike? Jesus...
My first playthrough will be on hard, can't wait to play that part.

Surprise, some people never learned how to play GOW with any skill because normal difficulty doesn't force you to, and now they're responsible for reviewing it.

I like that Kratos' blades of chaos automatically strike upward now when he's fighting those damn harpies. No longer do I have to wait for them to get in range and abuse the grab!

Grinchy

Banned
I just finished the demo and damn, this is awesome. Aside from aliasing here or there, this looks insane. I was pretty well absorbed into the game up until the demo ended and I remembered I was just playing a demo. It definitely left me wanting more.

kratos1.gif

Game looks so smooth. Can't wait for the midnight release on monday.

Just_Tank

The Last of Us Demo via early access from God of War: Ascension will be released on May 31. So reading that backwards, on May 31, if you previously purchased God of War: Ascension, you will gain access to The Last of Us demo on this date - May 31.

That's 2-weeks ahead of launch.

You can make assumptions about when/if the general public will gain access eventually, but all I can say to that is we partnered closed to ensure this was worthwhile for the fans. I would bet all my red orbs they will do you right.

Cheers
Tank

Amir0x

Banned
Ah, hope this one can maintain my interest. I liked 3 enough, they're all just dumb spectacle with a little bit of compelling level design/puzzles thrown on the side, so I doubt I'll not enjoy this. But who knows... maybe I'll give the multiplayer a shot, someone told me it might surprise me. We'll see.

Just_Tank

Ah, hope this one can maintain my interest. I liked 3 enough, they're all just dumb spectacle with a little bit of compelling level design/puzzles thrown on the side, so I doubt I'll not enjoy this. But who knows... maybe I'll give the multiplayer a shot, someone told me it might surprise me. We'll see.

Well, that brightens my day...I think i'll go watch Armageddon now and enjoy Ben Afflecks Oscar winning performance

Mik_Pad

Banned
Well, that brightens my day...I think i'll go watch Armageddon now and enjoy Ben Afflecks Oscar winning performance
Lol!!!! Tank will there be Dev sessions where we can play against you all? I saw a tweet about the GT reviewer where he was complaining that you guys destroyed the press in the MP sessions for review.

Lol!!!! Tank will there be Dev sessions where we can play against you all? I saw a tweet about the GT reviewer where he was complaining that you guys destroyed the press in the MP sessions for review.

I'd like to know this as well. Would be great!

Amir0x

Banned

I'm not sure what the joke is trying to say about my comment heh

Anyway, I was just saying God of War is a series that knows what it is and does it well, and it's enjoyable in its own way for that. So my expectations are similarly aligned for that sort of continuation of relatively low ambition married to re-donk-u-luss spectacle.

Usually in God of War games, I hope for areas designed like Pandora's Temple in the first, since these types of areas are genuinely interesting and can be quite clever at times. That's probably the aspect I enjoy more than anything, since the combat tends to be a little more flash than substance for my tastes.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Just downloaded god of war II

curious to see how well it holds up. If my memory serves me right, it was hands down the best god of war experience by far. Even better than god of war 3.

maybe its those nostalgia goggles though.

Mifune

Mehmber
Just downloaded god of war II

curious to see how well it holds up. If my memory serves me right, it was hands down the best god of war experience by far. Even better than god of war 3.

maybe its those nostalgia goggles though.

Started playing through it again as well. The opening two hours are even better than I remember.

And coming on the heels of the original (which I just replayed), the design is much more elegant. Fewer respawning enemies, more varied environments and escalating scale and spectacle. Might be the best opening to a game I've ever played.

Top Bottom