• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Star Wars community manager receives death threats due to Battlefront 2.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I guess people are going crazy over the microtransactions in Battlefront 2. EA Star Wars community manager, Mat Everett confirmed that he have recieved 5 death threats (maybe more at this point) in one day.

This is obviously not okay, but I guess there is a price to pay when you work for a disgusting publisher.

https://twitter.com/sledgehammer70/status/929851038688882689

No and you're a complete shithead if you agree with that. Noone should receive death threats over any reason. My God, what is wrong with people?

Come to think of it....everytime is see a negative Battlefront 2 post the last few days, either you created it, or you're all over inside it. Move on with your life. You're not going to change anyone's mind who wants the game, and everyone here is aware of the whole lootbox/"pay to win" thing that's been the hot topic these days.

All the Doom and Gloom over destiny 2 mostly turned out to be bullshit. Let's see how Battlefront 2 turns out a month or two from now before we declare it the world's worst game.

jimbulsara

Neo Member
Just don't buy the game. I really enjoyed the first battlefront on both ps4 and xbox but i will skip this one until i can get it for 20 quid.
That being said, no one should receive death threats. Especially when they gift you a comment that is comedy gold. "The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes"

Paracelsus

No and you're a complete shithead if you agree with that. Noone should receive death threats over any reason. My God, what is wrong with people?

Come to think of it....everytime is see a negative Battlefront 2 post the last few days, either you created it, or you're all over inside it. Move on with your life. You're not going to change anyone's mind who wants the game, and everyone here is aware of the whole lootbox/"pay to win" thing that's been the hot topic these days.

All the Doom and Gloom over destiny 2 mostly turned out to be bullshit. Let's see how Battlefront 2 turns out a month or two from now before we declare it the world's worst game.

And ironically, that's why the death threats exist. Publishers abuse the scummy practice, gaf says "just pay".

Remember when gaf said dlc are fine and now complete games are well over 100$?

At what point it becomes okay to make a statement by not letting someone else make one?

Shifty1897

OP put that death threats are obviously not okay right before he said there's a price to pay for taking a job like that. OP's not being a shithead, he's being a realist. Being the face of the most hated video game company on the planet will cause all sorts of terrible, twisted people to go after you, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that.

Dude had to be aware of what he was getting into, and did so willingly. I get it, you gotta do what you gotta do to support your family. I imagine telemarketers feel the same way. I hope he finds a new job where harassment by the deranged is not an unwritten job requirement.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
And ironically, that's why the death threats exist. Publishers abuse the scummy practice, gaf says "just pay".

Remember when gaf said dlc are fine and now complete games are well over 100$?

At what point it becomes okay to make a statement by not letting someone else make one?

Ultimately the choice is yours as to whether or not you purchase that complete edition for $100 or the standard one for $60. I have no issues at all with DLC at a conceptual level if the content is compelling enough and i have the choice as to whether or not i purchase it.

I guess people are going crazy over the microtransactions in Battlefront 2. EA Star Wars community manager, Mat Everett confirmed that he have recieved 5 death threats (maybe more at this point) in one day.

This is obviously not okay, but I guess there is a price to pay when you work for a disgusting publisher.

How about no? This is the kind of toxic gaming culture that devs have been talking about.

jimbulsara

Neo Member
Just when you thought that Sean Spicer had one of the most difficult jobs in the world, we get a dude trying to explain Battlefront II in a good light. Not a job i would envy.

BANGS

Banned

How about no? This is the kind of toxic gaming culture that devs have been talking about.

Just because it's wrong doesn't mean we should pretend it isn't reality. When you do something controversial, this kind of garbage will happen. It has nothing to do with "toxic gamer culture", it has to do with the fact that assholes exist everywhere and death threats will occur whether you're making a controversial change to video games, football, pizza, or barney the dinosaur...

Ichabod

Banned
I'm all for (rightfully) giving EA and Dice shit over the microtransaction nonsense, but death threats?! That's Kylo Ren levels of emo.

MADGAME

I hope the death threat criminals are caught and face punishment.

Regarding predatory/greedy/unethical/exploitative systems, if only there were some way millions of gamers had power through collective measures...

Ben_T

Neo Member

Death threats are unequivocally wrong. Doesn’t matter the subject.

It has nothing to do with "toxic gamer culture", it has to do with the fact that assholes exist everywhere and death threats will occur whether you're making a controversial change to video games, football, pizza, or barney the dinosaur...

I think it absolutely is toxic gamer culture. To clarify, I don't mean all gamers are terrible. There are millions of people who will buy this game that don't feel the need to be on a message forum or social media sending death threats. The devs aren't talking about those people when they say toxic gamers. It's the small minority of vocal gamers on the internet that make their lives miserable that they are talking about.

but I guess there is a price to pay when you work for a disgusting publisher.
No.

Just no. This isn't some "price" being paid, there's absolutely zero justification for this. Those people making death threats are scum and should be publicly outed so they can be shamed by the rest of society.

The reddit rage thread is really pathetic. I'm really jealous of people who live lives where this is the thing that makes them so outraged.

Apparently the EA rep post is the most downvoted post ever.

BANGS

Banned
The devs aren't talking about those people when they say toxic gamers. It's the small minority of vocal gamers on the internet that make their lives miserable that they are talking about.

Then you shouldn't refer to that as "toxic gamer culture". Such a phrase implies there is something toxic within the culture of gamers, not a small minority of idiots doing dumb shit...

Lupingosei

Banned
Then you shouldn't refer to that as "toxic gamer culture". Such a phrase implies there is something toxic within the culture of gamers, not a small minority of idiots doing dumb shit...

Since when are death threats something new?

You got them even in Phantasy Star online. I was in the Top 10 in several Xbox multiplayer games and I got death threats or things about my mom after about every game.

There are always a few stupid idiots online, but EA is using this now a shield to deflect their shitty behavior. Oh look, all those mean gamers, they are so toxic, toxic I tell you, toxic.

Sanke__

I mean death threats are terrible but what do you expect when you take a job as a community manager for a multiple time worst company in America winner

Internet death threats are getting pretty fucking coming

Mahadev

That pathetic PR reply on reddit had 250k downvotes, out of those 250k people 5 are assholes. Can we please stop ignoring the assholes while corporations use these pathetic threats to hide their incompetence and awful business practices?

Has anyone in the history of the internet and after millions of death threats even died? I have received death threats too and I didn't give a shit.

Having said all that, employees receiving all the hate for what the scumbag EA executives decide isn't fair. If you want to direct your contempt somewhere find these fucks, not employees just doing their job.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I mean death threats are terrible but what do you expect when you take a job as a community manager for a multiple time worst company in America winner

Internet death threats are getting pretty fucking coming

Pretty pathetic age of keyboard warriors we are in now. Everyone feels it's ok to say anything to anyone these days.

complaining is fine and could potentially lead to some changes for the better. Death threats are total bullshit and serve no constructive purpose.

Fbh

What do these people even think it will accomplish? "Yeah, let's send death threads to the guy that's neither in charge of developing or publishing this game!!. I'm sure the community manager has enough power within the company to make the changes we want happen "

Not that sending death threats over something like this is ever justified. But how stupid do you have to be not even threaten the right person.

Old Empire.

Death threats is a bit much, but let's be honest, game developers are often too cocooned in their own space. I think lot of AAA games made today are crap so maybe they should listen to feedback more than just thinking they know best how to make a good game? I bored by lot of games today. I don't buy Call of Duty for this reason, it not a good game. I want a game that excites me and challenges me i don't want to play a game made for babies.,

Piku_Ringo

Banned
RANDAL: So they build another Death Star, right?
DANTE: Yeah.
RANDAL: Now the first one they built was completed and fully operational before the Rebels destroyed it.
DANTE: Luke blew it up. Give credit where it's due.
RANDAL: And the second one was still being built when they blew it up.
DANTE: Compliments of Lando Calrissian.
RANDAL: Something just never sat right with me the second time they destroyed it. I could never put my finger on it-something just wasn't right.
DANTE: And you figured it out?
RANDAL: Well, the thing is, the first Death Star was manned by the Imperial army-storm troopers, dignitaries- the only people onboard were Imperials.
DANTE: Basically.
RANDAL: So when they blew it up, no prob. Evil is punished.
DANTE: And the second time around...?
RANDAL: The second time around, it wasn't even finished yet. They were still under construction.
DANTE: So?
RANDAL: A construction job of that magnitude would require a helluva lot more manpower than the Imperial army had to offer. I'll bet there were independent contractors working on that thing: plumbers, aluminum siders, roofers.
DANTE: Not just Imperials, is what you're getting at.
RANDAL: Exactly. In order to get it built quickly and quietly they'd hire anybody who could do the job. Do you think the average storm trooper knows how to install a toilet main? All they know is killing and white uniforms.
DANTE: All right, so even if independent contractors are working on the Death Star, why are you uneasy with its destruction?
RANDAL: All those innocent contractors hired to do a job were killed-casualties of a war they had nothing to do with. **notices Dante's confusion** All right, look-you're a roofer, and some juicy government contract comes your way; you got the wife and kids and the two-story in suburbia-this is a government contract, which means all sorts of benefits. All of a sudden these left-wing militants blast you with lasers and wipe out everyone within a three-mile radius. You didn't ask for that. You have no personal politics. You're just trying to scrape out a living.
BLUE-COLLAR MAN: Excuse me. I don't mean to interrupt, but what were you talking about?
RANDAL: The ending of Return of the Jedi.
DANTE: My friend is trying to convince me that any contractors working on the uncompleted Death Star were innocent victims when the space station was destroyed by the rebels.
BLUE-COLLAR MAN: Well, I'm a contractor myself. I'm a roofer... **digs into pocket and produces business card** Dunn and Reddy Home Improvements. And speaking as a roofer, I can say that a roofer's personal politics come heavily into play when choosing jobs.
RANDAL: Like when?
BLUE-COLLAR MAN: Three months ago I was offered a job up in the hills. A beautiful house with tons of property. It was a simple reshingling job, but I was told that if it was finished within a day, my price would be doubled. Then I realized whose house it was.
DANTE: Whose house was it?
BLUE-COLLAR MAN: Dominick Bambino's.
RANDAL: "Babyface" Bambino? The gangster?
BLUE-COLLAR MAN: The same. The money was right, but the risk was too big. I knew who he was, and based on that, I passed the job on to a friend of mine.
DANTE: Based on personal politics.
BLUE-COLLAR MAN: Right. And that week, the Foresci family put a hit on Babyface's house. My friend was shot and killed. He wasn't even finished shingling.
RANDAL: No way!
BLUE-COLLAR MAN: I'm alive because I knew there were risks involved taking on that particular client. My friend wasn't so lucky. You know, any contractor willing to work on that Death Star knew the risks. If they were killed, it was their own fault. A roofer listens to this... **taps his heart** not his wallet.

/s

zHYDo5c.gif

Dunki

I will always say it. Social Media is cancer for our society. Since Twitter and co people have radicalized their views and opinion while also building hate networks going against everyone they do not agree with,

Chipworm

Reminds me when they changed a gun in COD and 'people' were tweeting the developers to say they hope they get cancer and other things I'm not willing to repeat.

It's disgusting.

Death threats are clearly way over the line. Wish consumers would stick to giving negative feedback where it is due and shitcan the theatrics.

Death threats are never okay. EA deserves their 445K (and counting) downvotes, though. And an official boycott if people can organize it.

wipeout364

It would be interesting to know what constituted a death threat. Not saying it is ever appropriate but it kind of reaks of a diversionary tactic to change the conversation. It can be used a way to shut down discussion of the actual issue which is important. I am sure there are some unhinged people out there who would make them( based on my exxperience using a headset on Xbox Live) but I have to wonder if it was just some jackass spouting off or was it very specific.

Awful behaviour sending those threats. The authorities need to crack down on this sort of nonsense.

I wonder what percentage of the threat-senders are under 18. I HOPE the vast majority are stupid kids.

Social Media is cancer for our society... people have radicalized their views and opinions while also building hate networks going against everyone they do not agree with,

I find it hard to disagree on the whole. While for most it is benign, it's now far easier to whip susceptible people into a froth over minor, stupid things. These people don't know it's meaningless Internet horseshit and then act like fools in RL. We really can't have nice things.

levyjl1988

Banned
Knowing how corrupt, greedy, and messed up this world is.
I would not be surprised if all of a sudden publishers were gifted a loot box, but all of a sudden it turned out to be a bomb and kills people as a way of sending a message to the industry. Only that would send shockwaves throughout the industry and make people think twice. The worst has to happen for people to learn from pushing the boundaries of exploitation. It seems like death threats are just the tip of the iceberg.

at the end of the day don't like how the game works then don't buy it.

Jesus christ people it's just a game.

Perhaps the bigger picture is it is not just a game or just don't buy it but an endemic more people are becoming aware of. Let us not forget the gaming crash of yesteryears. There is nothing wrong with people taking something they love, seriously. (again to clarify in case you mistake this comment for another meaning - I do not condone Death Threats).

I will always say it. Social Media is cancer for our society. Since Twitter and co people have radicalized their views and opinion while also building hate networks going against everyone they do not agree with,

I agree almost wholeheartedly but with every ying, there is a yang - the people/nation/humanity having a voice together can only be a good thing long term (even f we have to endure the bad bits) because I think we're controlled enough...

Gamers can be the fucking worst.

It's still a hobby, get a different hobby.

Why are you labelling Gamers? It makes no sense - you're one of them! What's wrong with 'some people' are the fucking worst? Too much labelling going on in the world and that is a problem. Think about it.

As for getting a different hobby, I don't agree with that. That to me is more like just sidestepping the issue. Of course, it you can't be arsed with fighting this bullshit and would rather get into a different hobby, there is nothing wrong with that - 'your' time is 'your' time (I'm not referring to you personally). Unfortunately, there appears to be no other way in fighting these practices other than with your wallet/getting a different hobby so I understand your statement. When I originally complained about the Pay For Weapons in The Last Of Us - I was shot down in flames by a good majority of people.

We've got to ride this bullshit out, including ignoring the minority of dickheads/not labelling us all as the same, together, 'until' it all works itself out in the long run. Things are only going to get worse before they get better and I'm ready for the fight! - I've already diversified my genre of games more in this last 10 years than I've ever done and in the long run, more and more Indie Developers with new ideas moving towards new genres and concepts is what this Industry needs anyway - so I'm good.

Add that I can always build a Gaming PC and go through a multitude of classics from the years gone by, these Greedy Ass Publishers won't be getting me! It's sure going to get interesting if/when a certain core of gamers have had enough and the Industry falls on it's arse cos for all the 'mass' of gamers needed, without a core, there is no 'start point' in selling the games/machines in the first place. Mind you, they can always go the Mobile route and GAAS and make enough money but will that satisfy the creative needs of 'all' developers? Nah, I don't think so....and the cycle starts again...

Composer

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Not that I am excusing or downplaying the impact of such heinous reactions, but I'd like to get a sense context of what constitutes as a death threat in the age of social media: is it very detailed threats where the source expresses clear, and detailed intent or is it short "kill yourself" and "diaf" messages?

Again, regardless of what category it falls in, the impact it has on the recipient is what matters, and it's always disgusting and in excusable.

Top Bottom