• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NEW EXCUSE] Porting Lawbreakers to switch is tough because of lack of buttons

Nilaul

GB: Lawbreakers isn't coming to the Nintendo Switch.

DN: We haven't announced that yet! Who knows? (Laughs)

GB: But if Nintendo Switch sells well do you think there's a possibility?

DN: There's a possibility for everything and anything in this world. I think the hardest part with the Switch is the controls. Look at the game that we have right now, and we just literally by the skin of our teeth put the entire game and the control pad that the PlayStation has. That means that we could probably make it work for the Xbox One in someway, right? But if you're looking at the Switch the base controller that's on the unit, it doesn't have as many buttons.

Added bonus: Awesome "motion aiming is bad because you don't look at the screen anymore":

DN: Well, you know the beam that shoots out? You can use motion.

GB: You could motion it, but you're not looking at your screen anymore while you're playing.

http://gamingbolt.com/lawbreakers-interview-its-been-a-crazy-evolution

Update:

They owned up to their mistake about number of buttons, no comment on motion controls.

3ccz5gv.png

At least they admit it.

Shang

It's missing a select button, I think. Does lawbreakers really use it for anything other than a scoreboard, which should be extremely easy to bypass with a UI change?

Sarobi

Banned
You know.. it would of been easier to say you don't want to bring a game to the switch just because you don't want to.

Hyoukokun

Strictly speaking it doesn't have the central touchpad (the screen isn't always available) or the analog triggers... But this stinks of excuse-making.

Syysch

What a dumb excuse. The only button the DS4 has over it is the touchpad. And the XB1 is the same amount of buttons.

Though very few games use them all, the touchpad alone can be something like 7 different inputs - swipe up/down/left/right, tap, click left/right.

Mael

I know Switches are hard to come by but not so much that a dev shipping a game doesn't even know what kind of control it has.
and the motion comment is even more baffling, that guy never touched a motion controlled controler or something?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
We also can't port it on account of how it only supports green and grey colors.Pretty sure I heard that somewhere.

Oh, and the pixels don't work the same, they're Nintendo pixels so it'd be extra hard to render the game.

And, I think the yeti is involved? It might have been sasquatch, but there's definitely a giant hairy monster that prevents us from easily porting a game to the Switch.

lol at not having enough buttons for a hero shooter on modern controllers.

Most other games of this genre seem to struggle finding a use for every button on the controller. I can't recall anything from the beta indicating they should be struggling to make controllers work.

I'm not sure I get the "looking away from the screen" bit.

Not every game needs to be on Switch, just say there are currently no plans.

NotLiquid

I mean I never expected it on Switch so this doesn't really matter to me but

This has to literally be the worst excuse I've ever heard lol

VariantX

Just say the hardware aint beefy enough to do it. Its ok, because the switch isn't all that much more powerful than last gen tech. The switch has the same amount of buttons as the xbox one + gyro controls it doesn't have and the ps4 has 1 extra button with the touch pad. Try again. Making bullshit statements like that just makes you look like either an idiot, a liar or some combination of both.

Is this the daily Switch owners getting mad at third party devs thread? Not that it isn't justified sometimes but it's almost a meme at this point.

"Technical limitations of the hardware" would have been more believable, just saying lol.
It doesn't excuse a bullshit answer like this one but some devs ,I'm sure, don't want to use that answer because there are fanboys out there that believe the "Technical Limitations" excuse isn't a real excuse and usually accuse the dev or being lazy or it's a conspiracy.

Maxrunner

Why not say that the hardware is not up to the task and move along?it steal blows my mind that no one has developed a fps for the thing.

Trago

It doesn't excuse a bullshit answer like this one but some devs ,I'm sure, don't want to use that answer because there are fanboys out there that believe the "Technical Limitations" excuse isn't a real excuse and usually accuse the dev or being lazy or it's a conspiracy.

At some point it might just be true of certain games though.

Mael

Is this the daily Switch owners getting mad at third party devs thread? Not that it isn't justified sometimes but it's almost a meme at this point.

From my pov, it's more disbelief.
It puts into question how serious the people behind the game are if that's the guy they found selling the game.

Top Bottom