• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid - The Naked Sample 3DS [N-CONF]

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
Solo said:
But Id be paying whatever the PSP costs for just one game. On 3DS I already, a year before launch, know Ill be getting MGS3D, OoT3D, Resident Evil, Splinter Cell, Star Fox, etc.
Holy fuck, I thought it was this xmas for some reason. Lame.

Takao

Banned
I guess I was sucked into the 3DS hype train as well, because last night I thought the graphics for this were phenomenal. Today I got my replacement PSP and played some Peace Walker, those 3DS graphics aren't phenomenal any more, merely a bit better than what I have now. Though, it is phenomenal that they are getting that level of quality in a tech demo above the quality of a late title in another platform's life.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Takao said:
I guess I was sucked into the 3DS hype train as well, because last night I thought the graphics for this were phenomenal. Today I got my replacement PSP and played some Peace Walker, those 3DS graphics aren't phenomenal any more, merely a bit better than what I have now. Though, it is phenomenal that they are getting that level of quality in a tech demo above the quality of a late title in another platform's life.

yea, the 3DS graphics actually compares quite closely to the PSP PW, sans of course the fancy shading effects. But I fully expect PS2 level graphics to be achievable on the system in a couple more year's time.

Cipherr

lowrider007 said:
I hope the people on here that are going crazy for this game as if it's the second coming also own the PSP with Peace Walker.

I know I've been beating the PSP drum recently and I apologise for that but part of me really believes if we saw PSP screen shots of Silent Hill, Peace Walker, Final Fantasy etc on the 3DS and they were posted on the gaf as real games coming out on the 3DS posing as 3DS gfx people would be still be saying "wow", "OMG", "can't wait" etc.

I guess I just feel the PSP is a little under appreciated on here and it's sad seeing people hale the 3DS gfx this much while we've had a hand-held with 'similar' gfx and serious games like Metal Gear for nearly 6 years now, I just wish people gave it a bit more credit for it's technical achievements, the fact that we are not seeing a massive upgrade in gfx with the 3DS after all this time just goes to show how advanced the PSP was at the time.

Yeah so what, 4 years ago waggle sucked, and now OMG Move and Natal this is SO awesome, sports games? Fitness games? YES YES YES!!

Theres no need to have an aneurysm over the irony. Its all over gaming message boards these days in more ways that one.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
what are the odds of them porting peace walker as well?

the graphic novels in 3D would also be awesome.

and portable ops plus

-COOLIO- said:

and portable ops plus
Kojima's platform coverage is wildly inconsistent. And he rarely ports games after the fact since Policenauts.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Takao said:
Well, to be fair, Peace Walker was released near the end of the PSPs life and pushes the hardware. The 3DS demo was just a tech demo and already looked and ran better.

I agree that the leap isn't particularly amazing, but I think the quality will improve enough that I'll be happy. The 3D should make up for it, I hope.

-COOLIO- said:

and portable ops plus

I would buy them.

Just want them to confirm this (MGS3D) is the real deal though. Is it a port? Is it a remake? Is it a spin off?

At the moment I'm feeling an enhanced port (better be of Subsistence as well!)

Spiegel

dark10x said:
Well, to be fair, Peace Walker was released near the end of the PSPs life and pushes the hardware. The 3DS demo was just a tech demo and already looked and ran better.

I agree that the leap isn't particularly amazing, but I think the quality will improve enough that I'll be happy. The 3D should make up for it, I hope.

Are adhoc-enabled games still obligated to be made with the 222MHz limitation in mind? Because if that's the case Peace Walker could have looked better if it was a single player-only game.

StuBurns said:
What's that based on? My experience (not 3DS based of course) is it's actually worse.
based on my experience, 3D gives free AA. One form of AA is basically taking multiple samples from different points so with 3D you're already doing that.

StuBurns said:
In Japanese.

EDIT: Never mind, Ken is bringing the English like a true gent.

Yeah Ken and the girl both are speaking english occasionally.
ShockingAlberto said:
are they in his hotel bathroom
Yeah, they said they had to go to a lighter place, :lol Ken's sitting on the toilet.

Graphics Horse said:
Someone tell them to make Metal Gear AC!D 3D once they've finished Snake Eater 3D.

The guy who made the AC!D games is at a different company now working on a shooter that they showed off at the conference.

StuBurns

Banned
Ignis Fatuus said:
If anything interesting is said in English you guys better relate it.
The MGS Mountain Dew is never coming to America!

If anyone has a uStream account, as about Move support in Rising please.

Branduil

dark10x said:
Right. The screen may be 800x240, but the effective resolution is 400x240
Come on, you know better than this. The "effective resolution" is 800x240 because that's how many pixels you're actually seeing. If you want you can call it 400x240 with 2x supersampling on all games.

Kojima's not answering any questions as to whether or not there will be an MGS Collection on PS3 (some guy keeps asking it every 60 seconds)

StuBurns

Banned
Branduil said:
Come on, you know better than this. The "effective resolution" is 800x240 because that's how many pixels you're actually seeing. If you want you can call it 400x240 with 2x supersampling on all games.
No. Each eye is taking in 400x240 (800x240 together), and your brain combines those into a single stream of 400x240. You only experience 400x240.

And the woman in that bathroom was pretty cute.

vectorman06 said:
No one bothered asking him about Snatcher or ZOE? :/
Yeah they did, ignored though.

Kard8p3 said:
What if anything was said about this game?
He's taking feedback from what's said about the game at E3 into the development of the game. I can't say for sure but I got the impression that there isn't much of the game done (if any at all).

Branduil

StuBurns said:
No. Each eye is taking in 400x240 (800x240 together), and your brain combines those into a single stream of 400x240. You only experience 400x240.

And the woman in that bathroom was pretty cute.
That's like saying you see an HD image as one image so that means it's one pixel. You see 240x800 pixels, and your brain interprets it as one image.

Spiegel

Kard8p3 said:
What if anything was said about this game?

They were talking mostly in japanese. In the english bits I could catch he didn't say anything.

Only thing he said is that Kojima Productions is set up like a movie studio with various teams and various directors. I don't know if he was talking about Rising or they'll surprise us soon with a new game not directed by Kojima.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
QuiteWhittle said:
It has been posted multiple times, not to mention the one who captured the video was a gaffer anyway.

Cool with me, I didn't see it yet, only the booooobs 1up video

StuBurns

Banned
Branduil said:
That's like saying you see an HD image as one image so that means it's one pixel. You see 240x800 pixels, and your brain interprets it as one image.
Okay, that's true. But the brain interprets it as a single image of a specific quality. 800x240 is double the human perception of the image quality of the 3DS, hence saying that it is that is disingenuous.

faridmon

Does the actual 3D stuff work? like you play this game and the images pops out the screen.

if yes, did they explain how did the technology worked with out glasses?

was Big Boss in 3D?

Donnie

_dementia said:
PSP is 6 years old at this point. this shouldn't shock you.

You should remember that to do 3D the system has to render every scene twice. So if the games look better then PSP that means 3Ds is more then twice as powerful as PSP.

StuBurns

Banned
faridmon said:
Does the actual 3D stuff work? like you play this game and the images pops out the screen.

was Big Boss in 3D?

Yes, autostereoscopic 3D is perfectly legitimate. It looks better than glasses 3D in fact, just costs a lot more.

Nintendo have not said what system they are using, however, it's almost certainly the parallax barrier system which Sharp really push. You can read about it in detail here:
http://sharp-world.com/corporate/info/rd/tj4/pdf/4.pdf

Hex

Banned
faridmon said:

was Big Boss in 3D?

Google something.
The hows have been discussed to oblivion, just look around a little.
You will not get to see it until you get your hands on a 3DS since it does not come across well in video.

Donnie said:
You should remember that to do 3D the system has to render every scene twice. So if the games look better then PSP that means 3Ds is more then twice as powerful as PSP.
Could a developer theoretically ditch the 3D function and put all the system power towards incredible graphics?

kswiston

dark10x said:

I would guess that there will be some pretty games in the 3DS in 2-3 years' time. I remember people scoffing at the PSP when all the launch titles looked like PS1 or first gen Dreamcast titles after all the Sony hype that it was almost as powerful as the PS2. It took a few years, but we eventually did get titles that looked like PS2 titles (at least on the surface). It's wouldn't surprise me if the 3DS ends up with some titles that rival some of the better Xbox titles in graphics (albeit at a lower resolution).

Even though I don't share the sentiment that the graphics of the 3DS are at a "Oh my god, I can't believe they are doing this on a 2010 handheld" level, the launch titles do look quite nice. I look forward to finally retiring my DS Phat in the next year.

Donnie

StuBurns said:
I disagree anyone is missing the point. Nintendo don't do cutting edge, they do innovation. The 3DS is phenomenal, I will buy one the second I can, it's going to finally murder Sony's handheld attempts and Nintendo are going to make more money then they know what to do with.

But I am not stunned by it at all. It's lower res than I imagined, the image quality should be be better at this point. Graphically it's what I expected, maybe a little underwhelming, but the more I see the better it's looking.

It looks good, but I can't imagine why people are 'holy shit'ing all over the place, it looks like a ten year old console, which is cool, but I have no idea why it's surprising to people.

As for this game in particular. It could end up being the best game Kojima ever made. Subsistence without micromanagement, and camo which is instant via the touch screen would make huge strides forward alone. I'm a little concerned about the controls, but I have hope. I'm mostly disappointed to see Kojima making another fucking Metal Gear game, but I guess it's a much smaller project in terms of design work.

Looks awesome, as does the platform, but none of it is surprising to me.

I hate to keep having to say this but surely you realise that to render things in 3D the system has to do everything twice. So for instance it would need to be twice as powerful as GC to output GC graphics in 3D.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
EmCeeGramr said:
The guy who made the AC!D games is at a different company now working on a shooter that they showed off at the conference.

Shinta Nojiri left KojiPro?! I need a source :/

StuBurns

Banned
Donnie said:
I hate to keep having to say this but surely you realise that to render things in 3D the system has to do everything twice. So for instance it would need to be twice as powerful as GC to output GC graphics in 3D.
That just is not true at all.

For a start "twice as powerful" is a statement seriously lacking context. What is double? The RAM? The CPU? The GPU? The storage medium?

In truth, the footprint for 3D rendering in PC gaming is about an additional 50% on the GPU, sometimes more, sometimes less, there are plenty of tricks to get it down.

And even if it were the case that everything needed to be doubled, and it's not, so what?

Kad5

Im not sure if this has anything to do with graphical power but the 3DS cartridges are supposed to be 2GB while UMD is about 1.8 GB.

So if that has anything to do with graphical capability the 3DS should be capable of better graphics than a PSP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom