• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbone PR: the 60 Minute Family Plan Revelation

Darknight

The source to this article is pastebin! Are you kidding me people? This is nothing more than some posters stupid story to get attention.

Im sure you dont care who CBOAT is or any time you hear his/her name, you cover your ears, hoping his leaks arent real but deep inside you know he is the ONE.

Synless

Agreed. I just seen what MSFT was doing and really couldn't believe the DRM and now details like this come out. It's hard to take a company at face value again after this.
Apparently a ton of people see face value in them. I saw on my Facebook page a sponsored link by them announcing they were changing their DRM and the reaction was overwhelmingly positive. I couldn't believe it.

cfresh

Neo Member
rkRuNIh.jpg

If you don't work at Microsoft and insist game sharing is real, you literally don't know what you are talking about.

This is insane and basically sums up Microsoft nowadays. They tell us about this family sharing shit for a couple of weeks and it's the only good thing about the One, and then something like this comes out.

A 60 MINUTE TRIAL?! You've got to be kidding me. Of course there was a massive catch and of course MS didn't make this clear at all.

There's just no way in hell I'm buying this thing until it's been out for quite some time and MS has proven they're not going to completely screw everyone over down the road. Crazy.

Dark Rider

The more we know the worse it get. that hole seems endless!
they were happy I guess that people didn't figure it out back then because the way people wrongly understood it made it look like a good thing for us.

I can say that it would be VERY difficult for MS to convince me to buy anything they make for the foreseeable future.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Damn I'm a little late, how can all those yesterday claiming you ruined a great feature you assholes feel now?

So who is the asshole now?

Everyone was thinking grand with $6 shares for 10 friends = free games for all... LOL

So you would be tied like you are now, but you would have to DL the game and if you don't pay either delete or wait on it if it ever gets a sale... LOL

Yeah what a magical future MS laid out

I wanna see how many flipped flopped from PS4 to Xbone back to PS4 now

The whole policy (before cancelled) smells like reaction than a deeply thought policy. They saw how gamers reacted with the online req and quickly cooked "policies" using positive PR words like "sharing" and "family" without really thinking it through. That's why the message is so muddled.
Oh, I'm convinced the policy was to get more people to pay for Live. Dude, we can split the cost of games, it will more than pay for Live!

incorrect.
He was making a joke. Arthur Gies meme.

Hex

Banned
These are the people that some of you are trusting and that you are running back to like everything is better now.
It has been lie after lie, and bullshit after bullshit and the whole time treating the consumer and their customer base like idiots.
There will be more.

Jomjom

Banned
Damn I'm a little late, how can all those yesterday claiming you ruined a great feature you assholes feel now?

So who is the asshole now?

Everyone was thinking grand with $6 shares for 10 friends = free games for all... LOL

So you would be tied like you are now, but you would have to DL the game and if you don't pay either delete or wait on it if it ever gets a sale... LOL

Yeah what a magical future MS laid out

I wanna see how many flipped flopped from PS4 to Xbone back to PS4 now

The people who were saying that were never considering the PS4.

pvpness

Sorry if my tone comes off harsh but I just feel like it's bit of a witch hunt, people can have opposing opinions but that doesn't mean we're not adults that can make rational decisions about the stuff we buy and it doesn't mean those decisions can't change when more details comes out. I'm not a cynical person by nature, I'm willing to take a company at their word until I learn otherwise. Sony promised me the "power of the cell" that turned out to be a lot of PR in reality when a lot of games performed better on the Xbox.

Not trusting what mega corporations tell you to get you to buy their shit has nothing to do with cynicism and everything to do with being an educated consumer.

You're basically saying you'll trust the door to door salesmen when he tells you snake oil will cure everything.

I'm exhibiting cynicism when I say that I think MS will pull another 180, re-establishing this shit in about 3 to 4 years.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Yeah it's not just opposing opinions. When I posted in the other thread about how it was unreasonable to blame the gamers who "whined" because really nothing was lost due to the feature never being explained, I got so many attacks from people basically saying "see some people just won't see reason, MS clearly defined it blah blah blah. You just can't read blah blah blah."

Those are opinions though, the family sharing concept was presented vaguely enough that people were interpreting however they wanted. It just turns out that the naysayers were correct but that's not always the case.

Not trusting what mega corporations tell you to get you to buy their shit has nothing to do with cynicism and everything to do with being an educated consumer.

You're basically saying you'll trust the door to door salesmen when he tells you snake oil will cure everything.

I'm exhibiting cynicism when I say that I think MS will pull another 180, re-establishing this shit in about 3 to 4 years.

No, that's complete bullshit. I ALWAYS do my research when I buy anything. I read all the reviews and take time to decide. Family sharing wasn't the only feature that my purchase of an XB1 hinged on.

Actually a great tool to monetize demos like Psn+. You like what you played? Press this button to unlock the full game! You've already downloaded it...why not? Smart idea. Not a new one but a smart one.

It's total shit imo (assuming it's like psn 1 hour demos)
You have to download the full frigging game just to try it out...

Who is going to waste their time downloading 10-40 GB for a demo (this is what MS/sony hope I guess, that you committed to so much bandwidth and time that you're inclined to buy it)

Giving you a savegame in a demo is not a frigging special or new feature, you can download the (long and great) demo of dawn of war 2, then if you buy the full game it'll update your install with the data of the full version and you keep your savegame.

I'm also 99.9 percent sure dragon's dogma demo lets you keep your savegame in the full game.

Other game demos have had savegames for ages , it's not rocket science... very very basic stuff.

I swear there has to be some plants or shills or some experiments going on where someone spouts that kind of nonsense, and then I guess naive or gullible people just parrot it and it spreads. It just doesn't make any sense at all to me otherwise.

Jomjom

Banned
Those are opinions though, the family sharing concept was presented vaguely enough that people were interpreting however they wanted. It just turns out that the naysayers were correct but that's not always the case.

Opinions in the form of attacks are no opinions at all. That's exactly what I was saying, that everything about it was so vague, but people in the other thread were saying it was crystal clear. I mean I guess if you thought that MS's statements and words about the feature were crystal clear, that's your opinion. Presenting that as fact takes it out of the realm of opinion into idiocy.

nbraun80

Im sure you dont care who CBOAT is or any time you hear his/her name, you cover your ears, hoping his leaks arent real but deep inside you know he is the ONE.
I actually didn't know he's a super reliable source. I was just saying that they sounded so different that people(myself included) didn't think they were the same. Either way, pretty shitty they inflated that, but at least the DRM thing is gone.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I was excited until the reveal. :(
Man that was hilariously dumb. I don't know anything about the lore of Halo after 2, but master chief wrapping his external space armor in a thin cloth just so a gust of wind would reveal GASP! IT'S HALO!

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
This is tragic. The loss of this feature has me heartbroken; as many people have been saying before this news, we gave up the future of digital game sharing in pursuit of some silly rights. Thanks #NoDRM-ers.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Opinions in the form of attacks are no opinions at all. That's exactly what I was saying, that everything about it was so vague, but people in the other thread were saying it was crystal clear. I mean I guess if you thought that MS's statements and words about the feature were crystal clear, that's your opinion. Presenting that as fact takes it out of the realm of opinion into idiocy.

Uh huh.

This is tragic. The loss of this feature has me heartbroken; as many people have been saying before this news, we gave up the future of digital game sharing in pursuit of some silly rights. Thanks #NoDRM-ers.

I don't know if you're being serious but this kind of talk is exactly what I was talking about in my last post. This can't be real.

Edit: I see you said "some silly" rights telling me that you're joking. My point remains there are a ton of people who were seemingly seriously saying basically that. It doesn't make any sense and something is up.

GhaleonEB

All I can picture is a giant penis repeatedly slapping a face, back and forth, in slow motion, to the sound of falling coins.

Now there's an image.

Now that we see the fuller scope of what Microsoft had in mind, it's really incredible what they were trying to pull over on consumers. The brazen DRM restrictions and loss of ownership, the tiny dangling baby carrot of a "benefit" that was the sharing plan. Just incredible.

Talk about pissing away all the goodwill they built up with the 360. Jesus tits!

It all makes me that much more dubious of what they'll do later in this generation, now that we know what their end goal is. Pure, unbridled anti-consumer greed.

pvpness

No, that's complete bullshit. I ALWAYS do my research when I buy anything. I read all the reviews and take time to decide. Family sharing wasn't the only feature that my purchase of an XB1 hinged on.

The point is sharing was one of the features you were hinging your purchase on. A feature you actually knew nothing about. What research did you do, other than finding very little info and deciding "trust" was the way to go?

GetemMa

Hmmmm....

Distributing demos to people on your friends list

vs

Ownership rights to resell, rentals, and used games.

Gee tough choice. I can't believe this was even up for debate.

Sparse

Man that was hilariously dumb. I don't know anything about the lore of Halo after 2, but master chief wrapping his external space armor in a thin cloth just so a gust of wind would reveal GASP! IT'S HALO!
"What's behind cloth hood number one!

Oh."

RobbieNick

Another feature that we didn’t speak out about was the fact we were building a natural social network with Xbox One in itself that didn’t require gamers to open their laptops/tablets to post to their other friends nor did they need to wrestle with keyboard add-ons. Each Xbox Live account would have a full “home space” in which they could post their highest scores, show off their best Game DVR moments, what they’ve watched via Xbox TV and leave messages for others to read and respond to. Kinect 2.0 and Xbox One work together and has robust voice to text capabilities. The entire notion of communicating with friends you met online would have been natural and seamless. No reliance on Facebook, or Twitter (though those are optional for those who want them). Everything is perfectly crafted for the Xbox One controller and Kinect 2.0 and given that shine that only Microsoft can provide.

And you can't add that now because?......................

Top Bottom