• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City PC release date now Nov 18 - Steam version uses Steamworks

stuminus3

Banned
Are you just forcing it from the CCC anti-aliasing settings? I think I have 11.10 which is presumably recent enough to work.

Last I heard (like a year or two ago), I thouht that UT3, the Bioshock games, the Dead Space games, UDK in DX9, and possibly Arkham Asylum didn't support ATI MSAA. I would be happy to be wrong. I normally don't try to force an AA mode with CCC since I don't want to introduce additional problems or performance hits.

Yes, forcing via CCC (or your profile manager of choice) for games that don't have an in-game MSAA option.

UT3 definitely works. Arkham Asylum has an in-game option that works now (I think the game itself was patched for this). The Dead Space games aren't UE3 but forced AA works perfectly in the first game (I'm not sure why it doesn't for DS2).

A lot of this has happened in the last year and they tend not to advertise the fact - I think what happens is they fix it for one "big name" game which thankfully has a knock-on effect on other games they weren't trying to fix. As mentioned, Transformers: WFC MSAA didn't work a few months ago. It does now, perfectly. No idea when exactly that happened.

jett

D-Member
Bah, I remember playing AA on my previous rig, 460 sli and even with only one of the cards I got amazing performance. I'm surprised to see such a drop in performance in the sequel since, let's be honest here, it still a current gen multiplatform game so the technical leap is merely incremental.

It's really salt on the wound when these goddamn console ports can't run at a ridiculous framerate on hardware that is over an order of magnitude better. Nevermind that this game isn't that much better looking than the previous game and it's running on UE3.

XOMTOR

Anyone know if it's possible to play this using a GFWL "offline" account? Seems as though most of the issues in Arkham Asylum came about when setting up an online GFWL account. I have no interest in GFWL achievements or gamerscore, whatever the hell that is.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Anyone know if it's possible to play this using a GFWL "offline" account? Seems as though most of the issues in Arkham Asylum came about when setting up an online GFWL account. I have no interest in GFWL achievements or gamerscore, whatever the hell that is.

As far as I have tested it, GFWL is completely option with the Steam version. So you should be fine with using an offline account, or no account at all.

Dipswitch

Is anyone that bought this through GMG able to play it yet? My download is complete but Capsule keeps getting hung up on "Reassembling download. Please wait." Windows gives me "not responding" if I try to pause download or close Capsule...

That'll end eventually. It'll then prompt you to install and begin decrypting and unzipping the files. What happens beyond that is anyones guess because my install is still going on 40+ minutes after it started, crushing my machine in the process. Fucking ridiculous.

I can't see myself buying anything else from this crowd - it's too much of a PITA to deal with. At least with D2D or Amazon games, you just get an install key and you're off to the races.

EDIT: And we're done. After installing several Windows components that I already had installed (.Net for instance)

The game comes out on the 25th in Europe. It sucks, but that is probably the reason why.

I don't think that means anything. I got an email saying it was released today in my region and I could play it immediately.

I think it's more due to the fact that their Capsule client is a buggy piece of shit.

560ti SLI, 2500k @ 4.5, 8GB Ram = pretty fucking janky at max. Fuck you WB/Rocksteady. Don't have time to really mess with it. But, not great first impression for a 5 week delayed game. Especially when Arkham Asylum ran so fucking great.

I'm sure I'm saying nothing new here, but haven't caught up on the last couple pages since I went to bed last night.

morningbus

thanks, so you have to do it through capsule?
Yes, you'll need to use capsule.

560ti SLI, 2500k @ 4.5, 8GB Ram = pretty fucking janky at max. Fuck you WB/Rocksteady. Don't have time to really mess with it. But, not great first impression for a 5 week delayed game. Especially when Arkham Asylum ran so fucking great.

I'm sure I'm saying nothing new here, but haven't caught up on the last couple pages since I went to bed last night.

I'll bring you up to speed: if you're using DX11 mode, turn it off and you should get good performance out of that kind of rig. It appears that everyone is affected by DX11 mode being janky as hell, which, in a way, is kind of good, meaning that it may be something that can be fixed with a patch and is not an underlying problem with the game or a specific problem with a certain set of user hardware.

Ningo

wow so all the advertisement on GMG that it was steamworks when I purchased it is bs. Downloaded the first 9 gigs through capsule in a few hours but the last 6 gig has an estimated dl time of 1 day 7 hrs FFS.

wow so all the advertisement on GMG that it was steamworks when I purchased it is bs. Downloaded the first 9 gigs through capsule in a few hours but the last 6 gig has an estimated dl time of 1 day 7 hrs FFS.
When did they advertise that? They've always explicitly stated that the game would be ...GFWL.

morningbus

I don't believe they ever said it was Steamworks. The had initially misreported that it wouldn't be Games for Windows Live, which they eventually reversed. Unfortunately, a lot of people in the Steam thread were talking about it like it was Steamworks, which I think caused some confusion. (I remember this because I was practically the only person at the time tempering peoples' expectations and trying to explain exactly what GMG was saying with their tweets.)

Either way, GMG should have been explicit in telling you what you were getting.

XOMTOR

As far as I have tested it, GFWL is completely option with the Steam version. So you should be fine with using an offline account, or no account at all.

Thanks Morningbus, one less thing I'll need to worry about once my download finishes. Steam is going pretty fast for me, maxing my connection @ 940K. Not the fastest but at least I ain't got a cap.

I have a Steam key for the game my friend doesn't want anymore, so I'm looking to sell it. Not sure if there's a thread about such things to post about it, as currently the search doesn't work. So if anyone would like it and can paypal me, PM me.

I hope I'm not doing anything wrong by posting this here!

Derrick01

Banned
WB and Rocksteady can fuck off. First of all it takes forever for the game to boot up when I start it, then when it finally gets to the title screen it crashes every time. I tried it without signing into GFWL and it still happened.

Dipswitch

Please tell me there's a way for GMG users to get to the graphics setup options after the initial launch. The initial menu that offered those settings doesn't pop up again and it doesn't look like there are any Start menu options for Capsule installed games.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Some devs just need to leave DX11 features the hell alone. This reminds me of the Dragon Age 2 launch.

I ran it on my measly C2D and a 4670 at 1080p@60fps.

Maxed out? Eh, you might be remembering that a bit better than it actually ran.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Please tell me there's a way for GMG users to get to the graphics setup options after the initial launch. The initial menu that offered those settings doesn't pop up again and it doesn't look like there are any Start menu options for Capsule installed games.

You need to go to the binaries folder and you will find the launcher exe in there.

I believe there's a setup file in the Batman act directory. Not 100% sure but i thought I saw something while I was searching for the launcher.

burgerdog

Max 60 - triple buffer vsync
Avg 52
dx9

e8400 paired up with a 6870. Decent performance with a dual core. Not even going to try dx11.

theBishop

Banned
I would've loved to get this on PC, but got the PS3 version instead.

I'd feel a lot more devoted to Steam if Valve said ANYTHING new about Big Picture Mode.

"Batman Arkham City PC is coming soon".

Huh.

Edit: "Available: 25 November 2011

This game will unlock in approximately 3 days and 0 hours"

...Huh? I thought it was available now in the UK.

Derrick01

Banned
Ok so maybe the problem I was having is because of Steam. I did the verify game cache and while I can't see how much it's downloading, it's pretty large because at my normal speed for like 10 minutes now and it's only ~30% done. Must be around 2gb of missing files, which is fucking stupid because I literally just finished downloading it about 20 minutes ago.

Akkad

Banned
WB and Rocksteady can fuck off. First of all it takes forever for the game to boot up when I start it, then when it finally gets to the title screen it crashes every time. I tried it without signing into GFWL and it still happened.

I guarantee you the delayed start is the securom, the same thing was happening with the DRM copies of Witcher 2 until the devs patched it

Chairhome

Dang, a lot of people complaining in here before they've even tried it out. Yeah, its still a mess of a launch with the delays and region locking, and a lot of people are having issues, but some of us aren't having problems. I have a phenom II x4 @ 3.4 and a 4870 and I get 54 fps on benchmark with everything maxed and phsyx off.

I'm not saying forgive rocksteady, but ease up on the "fuck rocksteady and WB" before you at least try the game.

Dang, a lot of people complaining in here before they've even tried it out. Yeah, its still a mess of a launch with the delays and region locking, and a lot of people are having issues, but some of us aren't having problems. I have a phenom II x4 @ 3.4 and a 4870 and I get 54 fps on benchmark with everything maxed and phsyx off.

I'm not saying forgive rocksteady, but ease up on the "fuck rocksteady and WB" before you at least try the game.

Uh, right... we are "trying" to play the game. It's buggy as shit. It's amazing how horrible performance is in DX11 mode. It's inexcusable.

burgerdog

Wow, the increase in resolution and aa make a huge difference. The console version is so jagged in comparison(I own the 360 version.) Forget about the fact that dx11 is broken for now, even in dx9 this is the definitive version.

Lime

For those with an AMD+Nvidia hybrid setup, I just figured out how to make sure the game uses the dedicated Physx card. Simply go into:

F:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\batman2\Binaries\Win32

And cut and paste the following files into a backupfolder:

PhysxCooking.dll
Physxcore.dll
PhysxDevice.dll

It was inspired by the Alice physx fix.

Derrick01

Banned

Uhh so far I haven't been able to play the game, whether it's because of Steam or WB doesn't really matter. The point is up to this minute I haven't been able to get past the title screen of a game I paid for. The 18,000 different kinds of DRM in the game probably isn't helping.

Blizzard

Banned
Uh, right... we are "trying" to play the game. It's buggy as shit. It's amazing how horrible performance is in DX11 mode. It's inexcusable.
How does it run for you in DX9? What bugs are there?

*edit* I'm assuming the people who can't start the game have tried the DX9 version. Is this a problem exclusive to retail/GMG or Steam as well?

Top Bottom