• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Import |OT| YOUR MAJESTY

VariantX

The invincibility window is so small that I still get hit unless I'm completely away from the tail.

The stun is long enough that it is pretty much luck whether I survive through it or not.

Just got killed by him again since the camera goes bonkers when he does his triple tail smash so I couldn't get away.

Think I might put this down for a while.

It seemed impossible and confusing at first when I first tried it, but once you get the feel and the rhythm of its attacks you'll be able to kill it without even taking a hit. But that's a result of not getting the crystal drops I wanted and was forced to fight it about 15-20 times over the course of 2 days to expand my weapon palette.

Finally managed to beat him. Basically kited him around and only hit the head. This way I also stayed out of range of his stun. Weak bullet also helped quite a bit, a shame it's on such a long cooldown though.

Going to take a well deserved break now.

Nishastra

Banned
I'm a bit late, but... a note about the accordion dragon, always dodge to the right if he's about to do his tail smash, since it kind of curves to the left. I have a tendency to dodge to the left, which got me hit a lot.

Really, you're probably going to need to get used to the timing on your dodge. The Force version is godly from the start, but the others need precision. Vol Dragon is a lot tougher than Kyatadoran.

Edit: Actually, scratch that dodge to the right bit. It must have been because I always started moving left, but he can certainly hit to the right as well :p

So really it all just comes down to timing, and knowing when he's actually going to hit. You don't want to dodge the moment he telegraphs what he's going to do.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Since there seem to be less and less people playing nowadays, quick question to all of you who haven't logged in for longer periods for a while now - are you burned out, feel the lack of content or did the language barrier problem appear again?

Midou

Since there seem to be less and less people playing nowadays, quick question to all of you who haven't logged in for longer periods for a while now - are you burned out, feel the lack of content or did the language barrier problem appear again?

I was playing it less often from being somewhat burned out due to spending so much time in the forest recently, but with the english release announced, I would rather just play other games then continue now and re-do it all later in english.

The scheduled maintenance tomorrow will start 6 hours earlier.

That means... for us east coasters, maintenance will begin at 4 PM this afternoon? Hope that means it ends sooner too...

And here I thought they might not start the maint cycle until next week since we already had one a couple days ago.

UrbanRats

I haven't logged in since the first days of the open beta because:
1. Didn't have much time to.
2. Was mostly devoting my gaming time to complete FF8.
3. Language barrier is kind of annoying.
4. Not used to online gaming anymore, i guess i lack some of the ingenuity that made it special years ago.. "Wow i'm chatting with an American on the other side of the planet!", now i'm more "of course i am".

That is not to say that i won't get back into it very soon, though.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
That means... for us east coasters, maintenance will begin at 4 PM this afternoon? Hope that means it ends sooner too...

And here I thought they might not start the maint cycle until next week since we already had one a couple days ago.
Sadly, it's supposed to end as first planned...

Midou

2. Was mostly devoting my gaming time to complete FF8.

I tend to always favour playing a single player game over an online one, unless I'm constantly playing the online one with lots of friends. The way I see it, I can finish a single player game and have fully experienced it, it's hard to get the same satisfaction out of an online game.

I tend to always favour playing a single player game over an online one, unless I'm constantly playing the online one with lots of friends. The way I see it, I can finish a single player game and have fully experienced it, it's hard to get the same satisfaction out of an online game.

Sort of hit it on the nose why I play PSO2 so much and am unwilling to wait for an international release - all my friends who I want to play the game with are playing it now and don't really want to wait either.

I've actually been ignoring all my single player experiences lately (besides music gaming) in favor of cooperative and social experiences. You don't want to know how many single player games are in my backlog, across at least 6 platforms...

docbon

Downloaded and started playing this. Playing on ship 6 currently as Dragula, but eagerly awaiting to move over to 2 as soon as possible.

Nokiri

Neo Member
ahh NA release yay ..question now is if it will be separate servers btw jp and u.s.a now thats something to worry about rather if it will pop in the u.s

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
ahh NA release yay ..question now is if it will be separate servers btw jp and u.s.a now thats something to worry about rather if it will pop in the u.s
Well, probably. Phantasy Star game servers were alway separate, right?

Well, probably. Phantasy Star game servers were alway separate, right?

PSO had US and JP on the same servers back during the dreamcast days and on gamecube as far as I can remember. PSU is really the big offender with U.S getting treated like the red headed step child and being on a seperate server with anywhere between a year to 2 year delay in updates from japan, if we even got them at all.

To be honest, there is an immense number of things I hate about pso2. So many that I keep teetering between even wanting to play a US release or not but having seperate servers is the final nail in the coffin for me as I have been through that before and don't feel up to dealing with it again.

ezodagrom

A picture that was posted in PSOW:

2a5iwc6.jpg

:>

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
PSO had US and JP on the same servers back during the dreamcast days and on gamecube as far as I can remember. PSU is really the big offender with U.S getting treated like the red headed step child and being on a seperate server with anywhere between a year to 2 year delay in updates from japan, if we even got them at all.

To be honest, there is an immense number of things I hate about pso2. So many that I keep teetering between even wanting to play a US release or not but having seperate servers is the final nail in the coffin for me as I have been through that before and don't feel up to dealing with it again.
Out of curiosity, what are those things? Most people I've talked with really like the game and I love it, even though I, for most part, hated the previous PS games.
Of course the game isn't without it's flaws, but I wonder what are the biggest one for you.

PSO on Xbox and PSOBB on PC were no slouches in being ridiculously far behind Japan too.

Out of curiosity, what are those things? Most people I've talked with really like the game and I love it, even though I, for most part, hated the previous PS games.
Of course the game isn't without it's flaws, but I wonder what are the biggest one for you.

Two of the biggest draws of PSO to me were the oppressive feeling to the game world and the sense of weight that went with everything your character did. Both of those things have been abandoned in pso2 and it really hampers my personal enjoyment of the game. I don't like flipping around swinging giant weapons and staying airborne for 10ish seconds uninterupted.

I also have an intense hatred for the free to play system they came up with and wish they would have just stuck with a monthly subscription for a full, complete product at launch.

I dislike that in order to trade items with your friends you need to pay money, its a basic feature that has existed in these kinds of games for a long time and a feature they have already adopted in previous installments of this very series. On top of that every rare item is Bind on Equip and while this is ok in a full blown MMO it is not what I want from a pso game.

I don't like the way the missions system works, and the levels themselves. I would of vastly preferred the way it was handled in pso.

I also can't say im overly fond of the dodging mechanic and the way they implemented it. The game ends up feeling like a poor mans devil may cry or bayonetta and that's not the kind of thing I want out of a pso game.

These are some of the issues that come directly to mind, and while I am glad that people are playing the game and enjoying themselves it simply isn't the sequel I personally want for one of my all time favorite game series.

Mistle

Two of the biggest draws of PSO to me were the oppressive feeling to the game world and the sense of weight that went with everything your character did. Both of those things have been abandoned in pso2 and it really hampers my personal enjoyment of the game. I don't like flipping around swinging giant weapons and staying airborne for 10ish seconds uninterupted.

I also have an intense hatred for the free to play system they came up with and wish they would have just stuck with a monthly subscription for a full, complete product at launch.

I dislike that in order to trade items with your friends you need to pay money, its a basic feature that has existed in these kinds of games for a long time and a feature they have already adopted in previous installments of this very series. On top of that every rare item is Bind on Equip and while this is ok in a full blown MMO it is not what I want from a pso game.

I don't like the way the missions system works, and the levels themselves. I would of vastly preferred the way it was handled in pso.

I also can't say im overly fond of the dodging mechanic and the way they implemented it. The game ends up feeling like a poor mans devil may cry or bayonetta and that's not the kind of thing I want out of a pso game.

These are some of the issues that come directly to mind, and while I am glad that people are playing the game and enjoying themselves it simply isn't the sequel I personally want for one of my all time favorite game series.
apart from battle system complaints (I really, really like the new battle system as a ranger), I can agree with most of this, tbh..

But I still had a lot of fun with the game regardless and am very excited for the English release

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I went on with nicoga a while ago and we wrecked Dragon's face in after one slow round.
Just DPS the horn all day like a boss. Partisan ranged strikes are my BFFs.
The stun is long enough that it is pretty much luck whether I survive through it or not.
If you aren't... mash movement and attacks to escape stun a lot faster.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Emergency maintenance should end in 23 minutes. There reason they did it in the first place was some my shop problem.

Edit:
Just finished reading the preview site/watching the video of the update. That music, THAT BOSS. I seriously can't wait for the fight with that huge thing.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Too bad there aren't new story quests in this update, as the ones so far have been great (aside from the 2 Vol Dragon solo fights...).

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So mag gains from items are halved (or more?) on stats you have 50 levels in, huh?

How annoying :p
Yeah. It gets even worse after that. In the end I was buying 4-5 star weapons from MyShop and spent around 500k on it just to cap my Mag...

FINALLY finished the last story mission - solo fight with "cursed" Vol Dragon took me about 30 minutes. Crazy amount of HP and him being level 40 didn't really help. Time to 100% 4th and 5th MB.

Has PSO-2 done away with the glorified hallways? As in everything is basically walk from A to B and kill the mobs between the two?

Also, why was beast removed as a race?

Has PSO-2 done away with the glorified hallways? As in everything is basically walk from A to B and kill the mobs between the two?

Maps are randomized and don't really follow a "room" pattern - the Caves/Volcano planet in particular does a good job of presenting a very organic, natural layout rather than the mechanical room->hallway->room format seen in previous games. Besides the typical mobs (which will respawn if you leave an area and go back later), there's a chance of truly off-the-wall stuff happening, like having to fight a stage boss right in the general areas without notice.

I never thought the race balance with Beasts thrown in worked well. It always felt like complicating things for the sake of complicating things.

Maps are randomized and don't really follow a "room" pattern. Besides the typical mobs (which will respawn if you leave an area and go back later), there's a chance of truly off-the-wall stuff happening, like having to fight a stage boss right in the general areas without notice.

I never thought the race balance with Beasts thrown in worked well. It always felt like complicating things for the sake of complicating things.

What do we mean by random pattern here, sometimes the hallway will go left instead of right?

I don't understand how it complicated anything. 3 races were specialized and one race was decent in all 3 professions...

wwm0nkey

What do we mean by random pattern here, sometimes the hallway will go left instead of right?

I don't understand how it complicated anything. 3 races were specialized and one race was decent in all 3 professions...
Each level has set peices and these set species are constantly randomly generated every time you play, you will never play the same level twice.

VariantX

Man that update looks good. I still have to get to tundra but it's gonna be a grind between 20-30 . I'm running out of client orders to do that'll make the leveling go faster.

Mistle

Each level has set peices and these set species are constantly randomly generated every time you play, you will never play the same level twice.
What about the multi party areas? They're set maps, right?

If not, I can't figure out how two teams on random generated maps can interact.

wwm0nkey

multi-party areas switch out every so often or whoever the first party in there decides the layout.

Multi-party areas are simply defined by the party that created them. They're still randomly generated, just that when you make a game you have a chance of either joining an existing multi-party or creating your own.

Nishastra

Banned

Because they're on the same random map :p

Random doesn't have to mean "discarded the moment after it's created".

jtrov

Next week's update looks amazing. Can't wait to check out the new stage and the incredible music.

Haven't had much time to play recently, but when I do get the time, the game seems to be right in the middle of a maintenance. I guess it also doesn't that the quest for unlocking Hard Mode is sort of burning me out a bit.

Will definitely be returning to action tonight if anyone wants to get some games going.

VariantX

Unless the random field generator arranges it that way, there are few hallways in my experience. The levels are also much more vertical and organic looking in design too

Seems like they went from 5 races back to the original 3 to make things simpler for people to get into the game.

Top Bottom