• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Also, wut?

Haha I've always been the embodiment of the Halo camper. I don't expect my playstyle or opinion to be well loved. I'm simply saying I always hated how H2 or H3 devolved into play with a BR or lose. Anything that boosts other tactics is a good thing to me. I'm very happy with H5 sandbox in its current form due to the diversity and smaller, but fully functional, motion tracker.

I guess I just don't follow you. It sounds like "conservative" play, just means crouching in a corner and waiting for an unsuspecting player to come to you. The radar facilitiating that isn't empowering you so much as it disadvantaging players who are actively playing.

I also don't see how increasing the general speed of a match leads to BR dominated gameplay. Every weapon in the sandbox still has the same strengths and weaknesses radar or not. In fact, your enemies not having a motion tracker allows you to use weapons in scenarios you other wouldn't be able to.

Yeah on face level I mean camping. But it's never a winning strategy on its own. You can get a couple kills and move on or back to your team but you'll never win no matter how dominant your corner is. And those other players have just as much ability to slow down and get off radar as I do.

Concerning the speed of the game, you really don't see how this absolutely affects the close quarter weapons? Without motion tracker a sword user creeping up is at a huge disadvantage. Sure a sword won't lose any strength as far as instant killing but all four players who would normally be well watched on your motion tracker are all moving around without popping on radar. Thus the usefulness of these weapons are weaker, lending itself back to the classic style of BR fest. Sure your AR and SMG sets ups will probably still be fine but weapons that really require you to close the gap and get the jump on someone will perform worse in most situations.

Again, I get that my opinion isn't popular but I've grown very accustomed to being a close quarters player. Ill still play well, and I'll always enjoy playing with a good team but it does sadden me to see the run and gunning becoming overly dominant.

belushy

Banned
Why is it so hard for them to fix giving out the Timmy helmet to people with over 50 hours of custom.

They must only have like 10 employees in the building working on Halo 5 at this point, and three of them are QA (luls) Pro Team and cast the HCS events.

Detective

Population must be really low now, It takes minimum 5 minutes to find a match now, and when the match is found is full of lag even in focused.

The problems have been there since day one,
I just can't believe I've spent all that time into this game hoping 343 will fix it,

I've literally played mostly halo 5 since lunch, and now am beginning to regret every day spent , more than 70 days of playing time with the same issues.

Population must be really low now, It takes minimum 5 minutes to find a match now, and when the match is found is full of lag even in focused.

I have never, not even once, experienced any matchmaking search over 2 minutes. And probably rarely, if every, over 1 minute.

That's weird.

I have never, not even once, experienced any matchmaking search over 2 minutes. And probably rarely, if every, over 1 minute.

That's weird.

What? You must not play much or only at peak times. I've seen the "not enough spartans to match" screen dozens of dozens of times.

You guys see the D2 poster? Hype!

TCKaos

Why is it so hard for them to fix giving out the Timmy helmet to people with over 50 hours of custom.

I don't know how something that theoretically should look like:

if custom_timeplayed >= (50)
{
grant(Timmy.REQ);
}

Can get fucked up so hard. The game is tracking playtime and it's visible on my service record. How many hoops do you have to jump through to make that check?

Trup1aya

Haha I've always been the embodiment of the Halo camper. I don't expect my playstyle or opinion to be well loved. I'm simply saying I always hated how H2 or H3 devolved into play with a BR or lose. Anything that boosts other tactics is a good thing to me. I'm very happy with H5 sandbox in its current form due to the diversity and smaller, but fully functional, motion tracker.

I mean, H2 and H3 both had radar by default, and both were dominated by BRs. People used the BRs so much not because of the radar range, but because the balance they chose around dual weilding made most other weapons useless.

Yeah on face level I mean camping. But it's never a winning strategy on its own. You can get a couple kills and move on or back to your team but you'll never win no matter how dominant your corner is. And those other players have just as much ability to slow down and get off radar as I do.

Camping/playing defensively is a dominant strategy on this game. The fact that both teams can slow down and get off radar isnt a strength- it means that games routinely become absolute standstills until power weapons cycle or the game clock forces a push

Concerning the speed of the game, you really don't see how this absolutely affects the close quarter weapons? Without motion tracker a sword user creeping up is at a huge disadvantage. Sure a sword won't lose any strength as far as instant killing but all four players who would normally be well watched on your motion tracker are all moving around without popping on radar. Thus the usefulness of these weapons are weaker, lending itself back to the classic style of BR fest. Sure your AR and SMG sets ups will probably still be fine but weapons that really require you to close the gap and get the jump on someone will perform worse in most situations.

This is absolutely backwards. The lack of motion tracker means that someone wieling a CQC weapon can close the distance between them and their opponent FASTER without tipping their opponent off.

For example, ive gotten assassinations at a rate 10x that of my normal rate all because of how easy it is to close the gap now. If i had a shotgun or scattershot at the time, these would have been easy CQC weapon kills

Again, I get that my opinion isn't popular but I've grown very accustomed to being a close quarters player. Ill still play well, and I'll always enjoy playing with a good team but [b [it does sadden me to see the run and gunning becoming overly dominant.[/b]

I dont know what to say.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like this radar. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with.

-leans on closely-​

Some men just want to watch the world crouch.

mo60

What? You must not play much or only at peak times. I've seen the "not enough spartans to match" screen dozens of dozens of times.

You guys see the D2 poster? Hype!

I am usually playing around 1am MT on weekdays and I don't see that not enough spartans to match message ever while playing team arena, heroic warzone firefight or warzone.

Trup1aya

I won't let myself get pre-hyped by Destiny 2. I spent too much money on the first one before it became Somewhat what I was expecting.

The PvE gameplay loop was god-tier though.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I won't let myself get pre-hyped by Destiny 2. I spent too much money on the first one before it became Somewhat what I was expecting.

The PvE gameplay loop was god-tier though.

I figure I got 20-30 hrs of enjoyment out of Destiny. If I can get at least that from the sequel, I'll be happy. Doubt I'll be totally hooked for the grind though. Love that bungie feel and world design.

EYEL1NER

I'm just never going for a Spartan Charge ever again. It seems like no matter which direction I approach from and connect with, it wasn't the right angle or spot to get a OHK and I'm not good enough to get the required shots in quick enough after to finish the job. So I'm already frustrated by my inability to get a kill with them before going for one a bit ago. I just went for a SC on someone who did in fact turn around to face me, so I knew it wouldn't be a OHK, but I had 90% of an Overshield on, so I figured I had the follow-up in the bag. But nope: right as my Spartan Charge ends, I get Spartan Charged by someone behind me, which connected to my back of course, and one-shotted me. Ugh...

Trup1aya

I'm just never going for a Spartan Charge ever again. It seems like no matter which direction I approach from and connect with, it wasn't the right angle or spot to get a OHK and I'm not good enough to get the required shots in quick enough after to finish the job. So I'm already frustrated by my inability to get a kill with them before going for one a bit ago. I just went for a SC on someone who did in fact turn around to face me, so I knew it wouldn't be a OHK, but I had 90% of an Overshield on, so I figured I had the follow-up in the bag. But nope: right as my Spartan Charge ends, I get Spartan Charged by someone behind me, which connected to my back of course, and one-shotted me. Ugh...

I believe the correct way to do it, is to charge with your AR equipped, that way you don't have to be good to get the follow up shots - auto aim will do it for you.

This way the onus will be on the victim of your charge to out shoot you, since he'll have less health

God what a terrible mechanic.

Trup1aya

Fully anticipate something along the lines of:

The large number of respondents who haven't tried the Ability tracker + the number who prefer the default indicates that roughly half the playerbase isn't ready for change.

Lol

It would be nice to see results from a more scientific survey -> like if they messaged random players or had an in-game survey in that daily popup.

at this moment, 55% prefer new sensor.

Adds up to about 77% of the people who have tried it prefer the new sensor.

Of course there's probably some sample bias because people who are dissatisfied with the default sensor are probably more likely to participate in proving grounds AND the survey.

Fully anticipate something along the lines of:

The large number of respondents who haven't tried the Ability tracker + the number who prefer the default indicates that roughly half the playerbase isn't ready for change.

Lol

It would be nice to see results from a more scientific survey -> like if they messaged random players or had an in-game survey in that daily popup.

Adds up to about 77% of the people who have tried it prefer the new sensor.

Of course there's probably some sample bias because people who are dissatisfied with the default sensor are probably more likely to participate in proving grounds AND the survey.

The thing is, i dont have a twitter so i cant participate. so perhaps he should have put the vote on halowaypoint - or maybe its just for his own note keeping.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I have a couple requests....

can we keep HWC discussion to the gaming side thread (no spoilers)?

AND

could someone post the codes from HWC here (so they arent missed)?

Top Bottom