• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham S4 |OT| A Dark Knight - Thursdays 8/7c

Parch

Bringing characters back from the dead is comic tradition.

That's what makes this show so fantastic. It's flashy. It's corny. It's over-the-top. It's crazy story telling. It's exactly like plenty of comic books.

I'm thinking the people who keep saying Gotham is "stupid" just haven't read a lot of comic books. The show is friggin' brilliant in how it brings the feel of a comic book. Better than any other live action show or movie. Gotham is great.

Parch

Scarecrow reminded me of Mankind. You know, the wrestler.
The look. The voice. At one point he even uses the word "mankind" in the dialogue. Probably just coincidence but I wonder if there was any intent.

He's a pretty cool character.

Metal B

I love Gotham's Alfred.

He has zero tolerance for anyone's bullshit.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
It also shows, where Bruce would learn his interrogation skills from. Especially the last one is a classic Batman scenario.

I thought it was cool that they introduced Bruce's ability to size up the situation and plan a course of action when he was captured by the thugs. He's still gotta work on his prep time PRIOR to getting himself into trouble, but it was a nice touch to see him plan his attack and escape.
I noticed it too. It was a great scene, showed Bruce's potential and why he would carry gadgets around as Batman (he even used a grappling hook).

Bringing characters back from the dead is comic tradition.

That's what makes this show so fantastic. It's flashy. It's corny. It's over-the-top. It's crazy story telling. It's exactly like plenty of comic books.

I'm thinking the people who keep saying Gotham is "stupid" just haven't read a lot of comic books. The show is friggin' brilliant in how it brings the feel of a comic book. Better than any other live action show or movie. Gotham is great.
I know, but she was brought back to do something like 6 new episodes, then they kill her again.

I mean, why bring her back if it's for nothing. She did nothing big or important and it wasn't really necessary.

Parch

And man it's nuts how similar this Selina girl looks to Pfeiffer at times. Could be her daughter/granddaughter if we didn't know any better.
That's exactly what I thought too.
The teens in this show have grown into the roles nicely. A few more seasons and our new Gotham Batman is going to become the definitive version.

Oddduck

Just a reminder.

Jim Gordon has had better fight scenes on Gotham than the last three Marvel shows combined (Iron Fist, The Defenders, Inhumans).

I repeat...a police detective with no super powers has had better fight scenes than Iron-fucking-Fist and The Defenders.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Parch

Just a reminder.

Jim Gordon has had better fight scenes on Gotham than the last three Marvel shows combined (Iron Fist, The Defenders, Inhumans).

I repeat...a police detective with no super powers has had better fight scenes than Iron-fucking-Fist and The Defenders.
The production value of Gotham is really quite high. I think the writing and character development is really good. The cinematography is great. The acting is top notch.
I think it's a terrifically made and fun comic book show. I love it. But all we get from detractors are "it's stupid".
It's a shame that more people don't get it.

SeanC

One of my big notes was that the show either needs reel back Bruce Wayne and all that stuff, because it wasn't working, or just go Batman.

They're obviously going Batman. So we'll see. It'll come at the cost of the show's original intent but maybe it's for the best. I mean, Jim wasn't really achieving much and his romance-plots were awful, but I'd rather they refocus his character than just toss it aside. The focus on the GCPD is what I wanted but they've had three seasons to do it right and never got there.

They still have Barbara, don't like that at all. What's her point again? At this point she's just
written in as a replacement for Fish I feel, less a character and more "we need a strong female."
Nice they're reeling back her crazy, that was getting obnoxious, but I think she has no place else to really go.

They better not swing and miss this Penguin opportunity. Love he's back as a player, wasn't feeling last season with him at all.

As it stands, I like the first two eps this season and I hope it stays with it. It's teetering on the edge for me to abandon the show after last season, especially Jim's "woman problems" plots, but maybe they'll correct course with his character. He deserves so much better.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
It's been a long time coming and this season is not disappointing so far. I'm loving the Batman: Year Zero direction they are going with Bruce. I hope they will not go too fast with Lucius Fox's influence in gadgetry as that plot thread will determine how fast they progress into him becoming Batman.

I understand why they made his outfit look a little corny though. I always thought there was potential for a Batman suit without a cape to look cooler than one with a cape and if they had made the cape-less suit look too cool, then people would be asking why even bother with the cape other than for iconic reasons. I mean, we all know the costume designers on this show can make cool outfits so I see this as intentional.

Maximo

The Scarcrow scenes are sick the show visually doesn't disappoint, season has been off to a good start, also fuck it we Batman now!

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Just a reminder.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I kinda wish they would just have Gordon become Batman in this universe. Kill Bruce Wayne off and make that be what drives Jim to put on the costume.I mean the dude has already been fighting the rogues gallery anyway so why not?

I thought it was cool that they introduced Bruce's ability to size up the situation and plan a course of action when he was captured by the thugs. He's still gotta work on his prep time PRIOR to getting himself into trouble, but it was a nice touch to see him plan his attack and escape.

Yeah, really quite liked that.

It's been a long time coming and this season is not disappointing so far. I'm loving the Batman: Year Zero direction they are going with Bruce. I hope they will not go too fast with Lucius Fox's influence in gadgetry as that plot thread will determine how fast they progress into him becoming Batman.

I understand why they made his outfit look a little corny though. I always thought there was potential for a Batman suit without a cape to look cooler than one with a cape and if they had made the cape-less suit look too cool, then people would be asking why even bother with the cape other than for iconic reasons. I mean, we all know the costume designers on this show can make cool outfits so I see this as intentional.

Yeah, I'm loving it, and I agree, take their time with it, keep to some basic ones for now and also some more improvising like Bruce did this time. Glad they gave him the radio right away with the suit as that will keep Alfred properly involved (since he's great) even just with advice when he's hiding some distance away.

Agreed on the costume.

It also shows, where Bruce would learn his interrogation skills from. Especially the last one is a classic Batman scenario.

I noticed it too. It was a great scene, showed Bruce's potential and why he would carry gadgets around as Batman (he even used a grappling hook).

Haha yeah, it's true.

Yeah.

the new day has messed me up but caught the last two eps! phenomenal start imo, probaby some of the best acting yet!

Scarecrow was okay, hopefully he works on being more menacing, he seems to be a little than scary, put those nightmares/illusions were on point.

Selina was definitely working that charm factor on Bruce; hopefully we'll have more scenes between them.

Ivy....like what are you doing...the show kinda hamfisting here origin story.

definitely also curious on who's Barbara's supplier

the only scaring me is that it seems the ratings are tanking....I hope this show doesn't get cancelled soon(it WILL get cancelled because it's Fox) I don't why they didn't pair this with The Gifted; two hours of comic based tv would've worked out greatly...maybe Hulu or Netfliz will pick it up

Alfred the goat teacher.

Falcones daughter 😮 But this can't end well for jim right.....

Edit: a 2 million dollar solid 🤔

Hex

Banned
Loved tonight, watched on DVR because I had to run to the store.
Man, one of the coolest and underlauded things about this show is how ambiguous the time period is.
Cel phones, but look at the cars. For example when Gordon went to visit Falcone.
The clothing also, the signs. It is this amazing mix of old school and modern that is so appealing.

Just finished tonight's episode...

The show is much more enjoyable when Jim, Harvey, and the Scarecrow have little to no screen time. Ben's tormented, hard-ass Gordon is plain awful. It feels completely forced and always has. The teeth grinding and gravelly voice is hilariously bad.

Harvey is just annoying, but I have also never liked Donal Logue. Scarecrow is done well, at least visually. The problem I have with him is the actor. He sounds as though he is reading from a cue card.

Apart from that Bruce the Brat was fun. Penguin is great. Riddler is a meaner Sheldon. Im still on the fence about Ra's.

Metal B

Zsasz continues to be the best character in S3
I really like Zsasz in Gotham, but the moment Pinguin said, he can have fun with her, i thought he would ... you know... use knifes and really fuck her up. But he just shoots her. Still, waiting for Zsasz to go crazy.

____

Just finished tonight's episode...

The show is much more enjoyable when Jim, Harvey, and the Scarecrow have little to no screen time. Ben's tormented, hard-ass Gordon is plain awful. It feels completely forced and always has. The teeth grinding and gravelly voice is hilariously bad.

Harvey is just annoying, but I have also never liked Donal Logue. Scarecrow is done well, at least visually. The problem I have with him is the actor. He sounds as though he is reading from a cue card.

Apart from that Bruce the Brat was fun. Penguin is great. Riddler is a meaner Sheldon. Im still on the fence about Ra's.

I agree with all of this except Harvey, as I like his character. Jim's definitely trying way too hard with that gravely teeth-grinding and painful 'uttering' of simple words like: "....yeaghgrhh" (yeah).

Pachimari

I haven’t seen this week’s episode yet, but the writers have just revealed every single villain who’s gonna appear this season.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Show is crazy good.
Gotta say this show is beautifully shot. Sofia and Bruce on the balcony when she Brings him a drink. Then them walking on the beach were great.

Dynasty

Episode was ok, nothing special, it was mostly setup for future episodes. Love the title of next week's episode, hopefully it is good.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Well they literally addressed my biggest gripe about Bruce from last episode. Finally turning him into the aloof playboy in public to avoid suspicion. I just still don't buy he has the skill set to take out 4 guys (some with full autos). He looks like he weighs 140 lbs and has no muscle. He also only "trained" with that old guy for like 3 weeks. But oh well.

____

Well they literally addressed my biggest gripe about Bruce from last episode. Finally turning him into the aloof playboy in public to avoid suspicion. I just still don't buy he has the skill set to take out 4 guys (some with full autos). He looks like he weighs 140 lbs and has no muscle. He also only "trained" with that old guy for like 3 weeks. But oh well.

140 is being generous.

Kid looks like he's about 120. He's tall (with the lifts) but really really thin.

Top Bottom