• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Or you know, NX could be built from the ground up to have somewhat of a similar architecture and thus can just run Wii U games natively, like more modern PCs can run games from 5 years ago, without the need for some funky BC stuff consoles usually need to go through.

Guys, my question... I've been wondering about it for awhile...

Can Nintendo even make a successful console anymore? I don't mean it in an assholish way, hear me out. Main appeal of Nintendo consoles is their First Party line up, right? That's what most people buy it for, because they can get 3rd party at consoles it's made for in the first place, or even PCs. You don't by a nintendo console to play CoD online...

And, is there a place on a mass market for that? I mean, Wii won because of casual adoption... but that audience now has their mobiles, or even their old Wiis in the living rooms. They are not in any way pressured to upgrade, they aren't enthusiasts.

And enthusiasts, that trully care about Nintendo's first party have already purchased Wii U as is, didn't they?

So, just about everybody, who trully cares about getting a console for Mario and such, bought it and it still tanked. And this isn't a jab at nintendo fans either, we all tend to overestimate our importance in the grand scheme of things. Perhaps, fans are just not enough. So can Nintendo even get away with making a gimmicky console, that makes 3rd party support harder to provide for lesser returns,

I have a feeling, that outside some completely magical breakthrough in some sort of niche that appeals to mainstream, only way for Nintendo is to make just another "console". As in generic box, that plays all the same games as competiton, but also has some exclusives. Because without them promises of call of duties, battlefields and such and such, what appeal does it have to mainstream public?

And yes, I am aware that breaking into the market with another "console" even if they conform to the realities of the modern systems, is also in no way a guarantee at this point...

About B/C...wouldn't that make it more expensive to do from the ground up? Would Nintendo be willing to sell the NX at a loss?

Peltz

THANK YOU SLAYTENDO FOR :REDACTED:

If it wasn't for :REDACTED: Splatoon wouldn't have been conceived

The HOLY game of shooting INK at your enemies

Seriously the best new IP of this gen... Sony could NEVER

SLAYTOON shitting on your faves on flopped :REDACTED: console. When will DREAMCAST?

tumblr_mu7vsjkzII1rfduvxo1_500.gif

Don't do drugs kids.

Anarky

Banned
Theoretically if the NX gimmick actually was cross play between handheld and console how would you guys feel about that?

georly

Theoretically if the NX gimmick actually was cross play between handheld and console how would you guys feel about that?

Great. It means twice the amount of first party games if you only own one of the two systems. If you own both, then it's a convenience thing and you can play at home or on the go or wherever it suits you. No more 'have to own both systems to play all the good games.'

RootCause

Great. It means twice the amount of first party games if you only own one of the two systems. If you own both, then it's a convenience thing and you can play at home or on the go or wherever it suits you. No more 'have to own both systems to play all the good games.'
I would be very happy with this. Actually, I hope it's this. :D

Edit: Ah crap, somebody already posted it. Wonder why this thread is still up...

Because if you actually read the statements from Nintendo, it doesn't really match the ,,denied" headlines at all. Not to mention that Nikkei isn't some shitty Reddit rumour, but in fact a reliable business firm which is usually right about their reports, even in several cases in which Nintendo flat out denied them at first.

bachikarn

Guys, my question... I've been wondering about it for awhile...

Can Nintendo even make a successful console anymore? I don't mean it in an assholish way, hear me out. Main appeal of Nintendo consoles is their First Party line up, right? That's what most people buy it for, because they can get 3rd party at consoles it's made for in the first place, or even PCs. You don't by a nintendo console to play CoD online...

And, is there a place on a mass market for that? I mean, Wii won because of casual adoption... but that audience now has their mobiles, or even their old Wiis in the living rooms. They are not in any way pressured to upgrade, they aren't enthusiasts.

And enthusiasts, that trully care about Nintendo's first party have already purchased Wii U as is, didn't they?

So, just about everybody, who trully cares about getting a console for Mario and such, bought it and it still tanked. And this isn't a jab at nintendo fans either, we all tend to overestimate our importance in the grand scheme of things. Perhaps, fans are just not enough. So can Nintendo even get away with making a gimmicky console, that makes 3rd party support harder to provide for lesser returns,

I have a feeling, that outside some completely magical breakthrough in some sort of niche that appeals to mainstream, only way for Nintendo is to make just another "console". As in generic box, that plays all the same games as competiton, but also has some exclusives. Because without them promises of call of duties, battlefields and such and such, what appeal does it have to mainstream public?

And yes, I am aware that breaking into the market with another "console" even if they conform to the realities of the modern systems, is also in no way a guarantee at this point...

I agree for the most part. The only thing I disagree with is that I think there are a lot of lapsed Nintendo gamers. These are the people that Nintendo appealed to in the SNES, N64, and GCN era that they kind of abandoned with the Wii and Wii U. I don't think you can assume that every Nintendo fan bought a Wii U.

Besides thay, I agree. A lot of people say Nintendo has to do something different, but doing something different for the sake of doing something different isn't going to get casuals to buy it.

That's why I think Nintendo has to go after the core audience again. I understand why that idea has issues as well.

It basically leads me to what you are saying - they are screwed either way.

bachikarn

This seems good in theory but it will just mean console games are just up-rezed versions of handhelds games. How is that different than just a Super Gameboy?

THANK YOU SLAYTENDO FOR :REDACTED:

If it wasn't for :REDACTED: Splatoon wouldn't have been conceived

The HOLY game of shooting INK at your enemies

Seriously the best new IP of this gen... Sony could NEVER

SLAYTOON shitting on your faves on flopped :REDACTED: console. When will DREAMCAST?

tumblr_mu7vsjkzII1rfduvxo1_500.gif

is there an extenion to block popgaf gifs because i really need one

bman94

Jesus, people. The "slay" thing just means somebody does something really well. So if Nintendo hypothetically does very well in console sales then they are "slaying". Splatoon broke way past people's expectations of the game so it "slayed" therefore changing the name from "Splatoon" to "Slaytoon" worked in the context of the post.

udivision

Jesus, people. The "slay" thing just means somebody does something really well. So if Nintendo hypothetically does very well in console sales then they are "slaying". Splatoon broke way past people's expectations of the game so it "slayed" therefore changing the name from "Splatoon" to "Slaytoon" worked in the context of the post.
It's not that they don't understand it, it's that they think it's stupid I guess.

This person gets it! MESS at the HYPERbole in this thread now.

My post 10 pages ago still being relevant 10 pages on. My impact. When will Microsoft?

mariah-carey-shades.gif

georly

This seems good in theory but it will just mean console games are just up-rezed versions of handhelds games. How is that different than just a Super Gameboy?

The idea is that the difference is between running on PC on low settings (including lower resolution) vs running on PC on high settings. Similar/same architecture w/ different power levels. Like running on a (low end) laptop vs running on PC, or something.

Can they pull this off? Who knows - everyone doubts it, though. We'll see.

And of course, there's always the possibility that there will be some games that are 'high end' only and very very few that are 'handheld only.' handheld only wouldn't be due to not being able to port up to console, but rather because the features that the game uses are only available on handheld (think a streetpass-heavy game or something).

Neoxon

Handheld games from Nintendo aren't that much different from their console counterparts now, so it wouldn't really matter.

mark-san

Banned
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Aren't all rumors pointing towards a brand new architecture? Nintendo making a Wii U emulator? Eh, I don't know if that's going to happen anytime soon. It's probably more worth it to just port the few games worth selling again.

If a dev relying solely on reverse engineering can do it (search GAF / Google Cemu), I'm quite sure Nintendo devs, which have access to tech docs and SDK source are up to the task. Also, PPC emulation is quite mature. Oh, and there's a good layer of abstraction for the graphics subsystem on Wii U, making it easier to write a wrapper / translator.

All in all, it's perfectly doable and possible that NX will be backwards compatible with Wii U.

Top Bottom