• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Resurrected - To Hell & Back (Noclip/O'Dwyer documentary on Doom 2016)

Let me ride that Hugo praise. Guy is great and the way he discusses 80s-90s action movies with such specificity means he just doesn't treat them nostalgia but understands what makes them work. I just bought Doom on the PSN sale, can't wait to play it!

I loved the content of all three documentaries..particularly part 2.. but at the end it felt a little disjointed. The music guy interview was good (maybe a little pretentious with that stupid pyramid analogy) but it felt tacked on. Part 3 was so much about the design of the game so a Part 4 covering the music and getting those graphics to look so good and run so good would have been welcomed.

Thanks for the links!

Did he do anymore of these series/doco's at gamespot or was this pretty much it?

He also did a similar series with The Witcher 3, plus his show The Point is super on point. Before that he did a game historical series called Escape from Mount Stupid which is also really good.

Nephix

Somehow forgot about this project but stumbled upon it by chance yesterday and I'm glad I did because it's the most amazing thing ever.
This'll be the first Patreon I'm supporting; they deserve all the money in the world for this work of art.

atbigelow

Totally gonna become a Patron because of this series. Really loved it. Wish they had talked more tech, but maybe future ones will!

Hugo Martin is one of those personalities that makes the interviewer's job seem easy. You just ask the right question and he goes. Very detailed and specific, and lots of good insight on the game's design and its influences. Mick Gordon as well.

Great documentary.

Sami+

No but it will make you play new Doom. Game of the Year. Easily.

I skipped new DOOM because I don't like shooters, but your right lol. Watching this made me buy it on PSN and holy shit I'm on level 3 and love it a lot.

It's just so different from other shooters. Seriously so exhilarating. Maybe it's not the shooting I dislike but just multiplayer and war as a premise? Idk honestly.

RedFury

I skipped new DOOM because I don't like shooters, but your right lol. Watching this made me buy it on PSN and holy shit I'm on level 3 and love it a lot.

It's just so different from other shooters. Seriously so exhilarating. Maybe it's not the shooting I dislike but just multiplayer and war as a premise? Idk honestly.
I feel it's because it plays like a puzzle game (a very messy puzzle game). Your given tools (weapons) and obstacles (enemies/meat bags) with different strengths and weaknesses. Then you dance trying to beat the odds with the tools you have. So on top of having puzzles (figuring out how to get from point A to B, etc.), You also play a dynamic puzzle in the combat.

If you didn't think you liked puzzle games now you do.

Trojan

I finally watched this documentary and thoroughly enjoyed it. The No Clip team really poured a lot into it and they deserved all the accolades. Hugo Martin is amazing and it's clear he had a huge role in the game's tone.

Top Bottom