• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bruno Mars vs. the Weeknd: Who reminds you more of MJ?

Which of these two musicians reminds you more of MJ?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

How has that dude never heard of Bruno Mars? If you've had even a passing interest in pop over the last 5-10 years I'm not sure how this even happens.
the weeknd is own of the most influential artists of this time.
Seriously? He's basically an amalgamation of a load of other artists and not even a very good one.

Are you sure you didn't mean derivative?

FLAguy954

Musically and vocally Weekend.
As a complete entertainer/song and dance man, definitely Bruno.

the weeknd is like a mj who fucks

These.

Really the only guys that can fuck with Michael on a level playing field are Chris Brown, who unfortunately is an idiot scumbag, and Justin Timberlake, but really only on his first solo record. He was the of abandoned dance being central to what he did, and he hung Janet out to dry so fuck him.

Chris Brown is the only artist I've seen that could have actually been in Michael's space, but yeah.

I agree. Vocally Chris Brown is a fucking beast but he fucked it all up.

Kickz

The latest single from the Weeknd "I feel it coming" sounds so much like MJ its haunting..

So Weeknd for me edges out Bruno?

People keep talking about "I feel it coming" reminding them of MJ but no....it started So loooong ago...

https://youtu.be/aAqKkS1MZzs Got us Close

https://youtu.be/r-YDJCK4krw Got us even closer...

https://youtu.be/KEI4qSrkPAs The Reincarnation of MJ is almost complete at this point....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iFa5We6zqw The transformation into MJ at this point is Complete...

like someone else said... "The Weeknd is like a MJ that fucks".....Just subtract the "like" in that statement.

big_z

Both borrow from micheal but neither are on his level. Weekend sounds a little closer to mj but his lyrics are trash tier and albums are not up to the same quality.

The Weeknd seems to REALLY like his drugs. Bruno however was arrested.

I won't be surprised when news of the weeknd dying from OD hits in the coming years.

border

Hard to say.

The Weeknd is obviously better at 3-point shots, rebounds, and forcing turnovers. But Bruno Mars is really great at dunking and free throws. If you let Bruno get free on a fast break, it's almost a guaranteed 2 points. He has an incredible jump shot.

So yeah, probably Bruno.

Prez

MJ was a perfectionist. Each one of his songs was pretty much perfect. Neither of them come even close.

The Weeknd's Dirty Diana cover is totally fine. If that's one of the worst things you've ever heard in your life, you must have a pretty incredible life.

I think the auto tune on it is pretty telling though. Guy is good but he will never be on MJ's level. Only Bruno album I like is 24K Magic, but it's so fucking good I have to say Bruno is closer to MJ, in terms of being very enjoyable pop music. Even though it is pretty much a Zapp album.

His first two solo album were amazing he just couldn't sustain it. Ne-Yo came closer I think.

Though Usher changing up his style and beats definitely lead him to be the better artist between the two.

My Way and 8701 are good, but Confessions is the best thing he's done by a country mile (you might even catch me saying it's better than Justified some days). The fall off starts after that.

And I totally agree with Ne-Yo being underrated.

Jumeira

Banned
i came to the conclusion of Bruno years ago, you had to convince me about the Weekend. And your onto to something with Weekend, but overall it goes to Bruno.

Still MJ was in a league of his own, his voice man just used to take me out of my body, he's still unmatched.

Bruno has young Michael's smile though

Neither of them.

9O5WsQL.gif

Bruno Mars comes across to me as someone who desperately tries to imitate MJ.

The Weeknd, vocally, can 100% imitate MJ. His cover of Dirty Diana speaks for itself in that regard. That said, his style and subject matter is very different from MJ.

Bruno is one of the rare artists today who is much MUCH better live. I pretty much prefer live versions of all his stuff compared to the the in-studio tracks that ends up on the albums. Bruno and his band put on a great show, in terms of the complete package (vocals, dancing, stage presence, instrument playing) Bruno's the clear choice.

He will also occasionally break out 80s/90s covers during his concert performances, a callback to him and his band's old days before he broke out when they were doing a lot of cover band type work. Like this medley: https://youtu.be/XXvW0k6Qyys

He does an MJ cover in that one, Rock With You starts at around the 8:08 mark.

Throw in a little Prince too for his multiple instrument proficiency. He can't play nearly as many instruments as Prince could, but Bruno's guitar and drum ability are often overlooked by the mainstream.

His drum solo in the Super Bowl was phenomenal. I didn't know he played guitar until I watched the video you linked.

Bruno Mars is talented as fuck and I feel like I need to see him live now.

Zekes!

Bruno Mars is talented but he's no MJ. At times he feels like a pale imitation of him, Prince and other similar artists.

The Weeknd sometimes sounds like MJ but he's no MJ

I think it's the Weeknd, though with a dark streak. The stuff Bruno is currently doing doesn't remind me of MJ at all musically. All guess as an all around entertainer, it's Bruno. I like me some dark poppy Weeknd doe. JT is there as well. I like Chris browns voice too. To bad he's a shit head though.

Can't seem to find a link to it, But if anyone has one, or has heard it, I think The Weeknd's A Lonely Night comes closest to sounding like MJ. I have convinced several people that I was playing a new Michael Jackson song when I turned that shit on in my radio haha

Aiustis

My bf often gives me music to try listening to. My first impression of Bruno Mars is meh tryhard music. And I don't get the comparison. He does remind me of a soulless unfunky James Brown.

Never heard the Weekend.

Bladenic

I can't see how The Weeknd is like MJ at all in terms of overall package. Does the dude even move a muscle during his performances? Can't be MJ without dancing

Rad-

Weeknd definitely sounds more like MJ voice wise. To the point that I thought one of his songs was a MJ song.

The Weeknd makes pop stoner music. I can't stand the lyrics for 99% of his songs. Horrible.

Bruno has a few inspirations from MJ and puts on better live shows but I would not say he is MJ like. Just better than the Weeknd.

Eidan

Weeknd. Bruno Mars has never reminded me of Michael Jackson, but I was in a bar on Friday and heard some song from the Starboy album and thought "Oh, Weeknd's gone full MJ again."

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
His drum solo in the Super Bowl was phenomenal. I didn't know he played guitar until I watched the video you linked.

Bruno Mars is talented as fuck and I feel like I need to see him live now.

Check out Bruno's Prince tribute from the Grammys a few months ago.

My bf often gives me music to try listening to. My first impression of Bruno Mars is meh tryhard music. And I don't get the comparison. He does remind me of a soulless unfunky James Brown.

Never heard the Weekend.

As I mentioned earlier, Bruno's a lot better live. His album stuff definitely can feel flat and soulless, but they always bring the energy in the live stuff. I can't think of any track of his that is better on the album compared to done live.

blakep267

Musically and vocally Weekend.
As a complete entertainer/song and dance man, definitely Bruno.
Pretty much. The weekend is closer vicallynbut not from a performance or musical level. Bruno is the better all around entertainer

To get to MJ you would have to mix Bruno, the weeknd and Chris brown.

andycapps

Bruno has a lot more talent, but The Weeknd can do a pretty good MJ impression. Can't decide. Feel like out of these two it's more Bruno.

Though the real answer musically and dance wise is JT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom