• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

BeeDog

The problem now with the PS4 version is they removed the v-sync, making the game judder more and tear (which didn't happen before at all). Give some, take some :( I hope Arkane listens and tries to square it out...

Any way to reach out to them, Twitter/support forums?

The problem now with the PS4 version is they removed the v-sync, making the game judder more and tear (which didn't happen before at all). Give some, take some :( I hope Arkane listens and tries to square it out...

Any way to reach out to them, Twitter/support forums?

You can reach out to Jess (Bethesda's CM) on the Prey subreddit.

Her handle is jessbethesda.

KDC720

Finished it earlier tonight, took me around 19 hours on normal. Loved it, easily my game of the year frontrunner.

I'll type up some more thoughts later but without spoiling too much I just loved how many variables factor into the endgame and ending and how the game accounts for all of them.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Man the performance after the last patch is visibly worse on my OG PS4 (I haven't been everywhere since the patch, but the Power Plant probably performed the worst). I wouldn't mind reverting back even if that meant the input lag.

noomi

Beat it, nearly 30 hours to get through, loved every moment.

Got the
best ending IMO, imagoodpersonalientyphon

Man the performance after the last patch is visibly worse on my OG PS4 (I haven't been everywhere since the patch, but the Power Plant probably performed the worst). I wouldn't mind reverting back even if that meant the input lag.

That sucks, I was lucky and the patch didn't install on my system. Apparently, it only installs completely when it asks you. So I'm still able to rock the day 1 patch. The only downside is I have to either turn the ps4 offline when I start the game or delete the patch mid re download.

heringer

By the time you get the Psychoscope, you're already 2-3 hours into the game, so where you get it is fine where it is.

I think the problem is that some people treat it as a standard shooter

I got that with 5~6 hours, LOL. It will take me 40 hours to finish this. :(

FaintDeftone

I'm finding it harder and harder to find the motivation to keep playing this game. My biggest complaint is the combat. It just isn't fun and I groan at every enemy encounter. It isn't that the enemies are hard necessarily, its just that they're no fun to fight and the weapons feel unsatisfying. I love exploring the world and figuring out the objectives but combat has sort of ruined the experience for me. Anyone else had this issue only to have it resolved later in the game? I'm about 5 hours in. If it doesn't get any better then I may just chalk this one up as "not for me" and move on.

I'm finding it harder and harder to find the motivation to keep playing this game. My biggest complaint is the combat. It just isn't fun and I groan at every enemy encounter. It isn't that the enemies are hard necessarily, its just that they're no fun to fight and the weapons feel unsatisfying. I love exploring the world and figuring out the objectives but combat has sort of ruined the experience for me. Anyone else had this issue only to have it resolved later in the game? I'm about 5 hours in. If it doesn't get any better then I may just chalk this one up as "not for me" and move on.

I enjoy the combat despite the fairly weak gunplay. I do think it opens up later with how many options you get but the underlying feel really hasn't changed 10 hours in.

kliklik

Banned

If you don't like straightforward combat with the weapons, you probably should invest in alien powers.

To me, I treat it much like combat in Deus Ex and Dishonored, in that there isn't any. I sneak up, and there is no open combat lol. They get an explosive barrel to the head, a stun gun to the back, and a wrench to the face.

It's like they're toying with my emotions at this point.

Demo: we'll fix the controls guys no worries. Cool, I'll get it then.
Early Retail Copies: psych! it ain't fixed. Ah okay, I'll wait for day 1 patch to see how that affects it.
Day 1 patch: nah dude + truckloads of game breaking bugs + no HUD options. Oooookay then...wait more? Fuck I really want to play the game guys, come on.
1.02: Input lag fixed, hell yeah!!! psych!!!!!!!!! framerate issues + drifting + remaining game breaking bugs and other stuff. I had an entire weekend to myself this weekend guys, thanks a lot, kill me.

Stoze

People actually prefer massive lag over visual blemishes? Personally I would always put gameplay first.
Bad frame pacing and presumably frequent drops below 30fps aren't "visual blemishes", those effect how the game feels to play just like input lag. Screen tearing can be incredibly distracting as well depending on how bad it is.

Hopefully they can get things sorted out, CryEngine really does not like to work well with PS4 apparently.

kliklik

Banned
People actually prefer massive lag over visual blemishes? Personally I would always put gameplay first.

I didn't really have controller lag before the patch, and now I have stick drift after it. That really affects gameplay because I keep coming out of cover and falling off pipes I'm climbing.

15 hours in and agree completely. Difference is I'm enjoying exploring Talos 1 enough to keep playing. Dropped it to easy.

Combat really does become trivial after a while in this game. Once you upgrade the weapons enough and combine it with combat focus or psychoshock, nothing can really hurt you.

Disruptor for metal enemies, Q-Beam for big baddies and shotgun for the typhons. If you upgrade your sneak you can get massive damage bonuses too with your first shot.

As for early game, turrets and explosive canisters are a big help. A bit of leverage and you can just toss stuff at enemies and one shot them.

I've been totally engrossed in this game Since getting it. Really is amazing. I just love that you have this entire space station intricately planned out and designed and filled with a whole crew. The game is also very subtly well written. It all feels a bit emotionless but it totally fits because its a space station full of scientists and overachievers.

Since the new patch movement just feels weird for me , it does a weird bob / slide when standing still and moving off .

Anyone else get that?

Ardenyal

Bad frame pacing and presumably frequent drops below 30fps aren't "visual blemishes", those effect how the game feels to play just like input lag. Screen tearing can be incredibly distracting as well depending on how bad it is.

Hopefully they can get things sorted out, CryEngine really does not like to work well with PS4 apparently.

This game doesn't have anything requiring frame perfect inputs. Frame drops do not have an impact on the feel of the game, certainly not to the effect of having a constant delay of 0.2 seconds.

x-Lundz-x

Hopped in here to check and see if there was a new patch for PS4 so I could buy the game. Went from excited to dejected in the span of about 5 seconds.

noomi

Fabricating neuromods gave me a ton of new abilities. Most of my resources went into neuromods other than when I neede ammo for my shotty or pistol.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Fabricating neuromods gave me a ton of new abilities. Most of my resources went into neuromods other than when I neede ammo for my shotty or pistol.

Same here. I'm playing on Hard and I only use Fabricator to manufacture neuromods and shotgun ammo. The rest I can easily get simply from exploring the environment and I try to avoid new fights when I'm revisiting a location (I just wish they went easy on the respawning, it gets more annoying later in the game).

This game doesn't have anything requiring frame perfect inputs. Frame drops do not have an impact on the feel of the game, certainly not to the effect of having a constant delay of 0.2 seconds.

What...?

Come on dude. Just cause it's not a fighting game doesn't mean that frame pacing and FPS drops don't effect the feel and enjoyment of the game.

I mean, the input lag alone was bad enough. But frame pacing and drops are absolutely an issue too.

I love that you can fabricate neuromods, weapon upgrade kits and ammo. Makes exploring and looting so worthwhile. Even the shittiest piece of loot or junk can eventually be turned into the most valuable items in the game.

Helps to create a very satisfying gameplay loop.

noomi

Same here. I'm playing on Hard and I only use Fabricator to manufacture neuromods and shotgun ammo. The rest I can easily get simply from exploring the environment and I try to avoid new fights when I'm revisiting a location (I just wish they went easy on the respawning, it gets more annoying later in the game).

I love that you can fabricate neuromods, weapon upgrade kits and ammo. Makes exploring and looting so worthwhile. Even the shittiest piece of loot or junk can eventually be turned into the most valuable items in the game.

Helps to create a very satisfying gameplay loop.

Absolutely!

You are definitely rewarded for exploring and looting, once of the reasons I love prey so much. Crumpled pieces of paper and banana peels all day bruh

Best way to kill technomsncer? And nightmare? What weapons work best against them. Technomancers take forever, and I haven't fought a nightmare yet.

Best way to kill technomsncer? And nightmare? What weapons work best against them. Technomancers take forever, and I haven't fought a nightmare yet.

Nullwave grenade/Psychoshock is a good way to null their abilities temporarily and allows you to take on them.

You could use a Typhon Lure to distract the Technopath so you can kill it with Recycler Charge

Stun gun, then shotgun. Though last night, I fought a technopath with just the stun gun (fully upgraded) and smoked it in three shots. Seriously, I love that gun.

The first strategy also works on nightmare but I don't think it's specifically weak to electric so the stun gun is just to freeze it.

Stoze

Technopath? Stun gun/EMP grenades, then fire whatever at it. I lay down turrets to attack/distract the Nightmare and just let loose on it with the Q-Beam from afar.

Anung

Un Rama

Stun gun, combat slowdown and a pistol.

Nightmare can be avoided if you want but taking him down is easy when you're upgraded.

Top Bottom