• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Took you guys advice and played around the dlc a bit. Pretty cool. Nice enemy placements and environment. Definitely less creepier than upper cathedral. Died to the spiders lol

RevenWolf

Yeah, at least they look like Spiders, by the blood river?

Just ran into Ludwig accursed...holy shit

Probably my favourite fight in the entire game. Kicked my ass for hours but had a blast doing it.

Also if you're talking about the things
with the beg swollen bellies
I always saw them as ticks lol.

alt27

You going to do the dlc? If so it has the best strength weapon in the game. If you do a second character try doing a skill/bloodtinge build and going after the Chikage.

I only got the normal edition because I wasnt sure if I was going to like it or not. Will defientley pick up the dlc after I have finished.

Now I gotta ask what the boss was that you beat, because there is an "optional" one. You're doing wawwwy better than I did at the start lol.

I beat the cleric beast boss and I just now beat the second dude, the ol' father. That took me a couple more goes than the first but got him eventually, fuck, his last phase was tough haha. Always got him to last phase but then he just kept nailing me with his front combos, and then when your running away the camera gets stuck in position.

Figured out got to roll into him as he moves towards you to get to behind him as the health regen on retalliation hits are essential , and of course a few hail mary molatovs, lol.

Fucking satisfying though when i got him down. Not felt like that after a game boss in a while.

I only got the normal edition because I wasnt sure if I was going to like it or not. Will defientley pick up the dlc after I have finished.

You should pick it up before you finish as completing the game enters you immediately into NG+ and you'll have to work your way through a lot of enemies and bosses again before you can access the DLC. Not to mention the DLC is WAYYYYYYY harder in NG+. Like gut check difficult.

alt27

You should pick it up before you finish as completing the game enters you immediately into NG+ and you'll have to work your way through a lot of enemies and bosses again before you can access the DLC. Not to mention the DLC is WAYYYYYYY harder in NG+. Like gut check difficult.

Thanks for the tip, will pick it up for sure now!

Ludwig is probably my favorite Soulsborne boss if not at least top 5. Everything from the presentation, atmosphere and soundtrack is fucking god tier.
Ludwig the Holy Blade (8-bit Remix/Arrange)
Took you guys advice and played around the dlc a bit. Pretty cool. Nice enemy placements and environment. Definitely less creepier than upper cathedral. Died to the spiders lol
You haven't gotten to the creepy parts of the DLC yet.

I still can't get over how great L
udwig
was, it's truly a work of art. Atmospheric, dark, beautiful, challenging, well designed, and also meaningful from a story/lore standpoint. It's definitely my top 5 Souls boss.

and the music, fuck, I mean just listen to THIS!

Fucking satisfying though when i got him down. Not felt like that after a game boss in a while.

Haha I totally understand that feeling, it's fantastic.

How are you liking the art style and atmosphere? I highly recommend adjusting TV to warm color. It really makes the art stands out IMO.

EDIT: Accidental double post, was supposed to be an edit. I am a living failure.

alt27

Haha I totally understand that feeling, it's fantastic.

How are you liking the art style and atmosphere? I highly recommend adjusting TV to warm color. It really makes the art stands out IMO.

EDIT: Accidental double post, was supposed to be an edit. I am a living failure.

Loving the whole way the game sounds and looks. Thats what drew it to me in the firstplace, but I was afraid of the difficulty.

Quick question - Im a bit of a stat leveller / worrier kinda player in RPGs. I love to get great builds going with the perfect gear etc. Now Im not expecting to get a perfect build going in a first playthrough or anything, but I do want to have my character at an appropriate level for the encounters. Im assuming as you progress throughout the game, the enemies will drop larger amounts of echoes, so as long as your constantly upgrading, does the game provide enough of these echoes in a natural timeline or is it better to stop and farm a little? I hate going into bosses if Im massively unprepared!

I know enemies are not dropping much now and levelling gets more expensive, so whats your thoughts on the progression and for example what level is reccomended for final boss in the base game? Ive been investing in Vitality first (upto 26 now) and skill and strength are now both 16. I plan on keep investing in vitality and then now endurance for a bit , then after going back to ski/Str. My overall level is 31.

I have been farming blood vials as I want to have a stack so if I get constantly melted by a boss I dont have to stop and go farm for more to have a nother attempt. So I have been investing the echoes I have got. And I have done 2nd boss and not gone any further yet.

If the economy gets more generous and Im wasting my time right now, it would be good to know!

Loving the whole way the game sounds and looks. Thats what drew it to me in the firstplace, but I was afraid of the difficulty.

Quick question - Im a bit of a stat leveller / worrier kinda player in RPGs. I love to get great builds going with the perfect gear etc. Now Im not expecting to get a perfect build going in a first playthrough or anything, but I do want to have my character at an appropriate level for the encounters. Im assuming as you progress throughout the game, the enemies will drop larger amounts of echoes, so as long as your constantly upgrading, does the game provide enough of these echoes in a natural timeline or is it better to stop and farm a little? I hate going into bosses if Im massively unprepared!

I know enemies are not dropping much now and levelling gets more expensive, so whats your thoughts on the progression and for example what level is reccomended for final boss in the base game? Ive been investing in Vitality first (upto 26 now) and skill and strength are now both 16. I plan on keep investing in vitality and then now endurance for a bit , then after going back to ski/Str. My overall level is 31.

I have been farming blood vials as I want to have a stack so if I get constantly melted by a boss I dont have to stop and go farm for more to have a nother attempt. So I have been investing the echoes I have got. And I have done 2nd boss and not gone any further yet.

If the economy gets more generous and Im wasting my time right now, it would be good to know!
Regarding skl/str. You might want to either main the Ludwig Holy Blade or just pick a stat and weapon set up. Have you done any of the chalice dungeons yet? I think It's fine to be about 80-90 for the final boss, it starts getting bit different if you chalice grind. I'm usually in the mid 90's when I get to final boss because I do chalice dungeons, it gets higher for the dlc though. Final DLC boss is way harder than the base game final boss.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Can confirm. Got the DLC long after finishing the base game, and took it on in NG+ as soon as I unlocked it, starting at around level 80.

It's one hell of a difficulty spike. But on the other hand, it made every enemy encounter that much more memorable. It's probably at least partly why Ludwig sticks in my memory so well. It felt like taking on a hard Dark Souls 1 boss again, when it was my first Souls game.

The economy does get more generous later, and there are better farming areas later in the game.

It's fine to have a stock of vials saved up so that you don't need to stop to farm between boss attempts as you said, but don't go overboard with it.

As for recommended levels, the game doesn't expect you to stop and level grind at any point. The leveling curve is pretty good in that sense. You can be over or underleveled by 10-20 levels at the end boss, and the boss would probably still feel appropriate difficulty-wise because builds diverge so much by that point.

Having said that, there are some optional areas that do seem to expect more or less levels out of you. There have been optional areas that I discovered while underleveled (
Cainhurst
), and I had to be super careful in there because of how strong everything was. Then near the end of the game, I discovered another optional area that I was probably supposed to find much earlier (
nightmare frontier
), and it was a cakewalk.

Ferr986

Levels doesn't matter much so don't worry about it, against a boss you have problems with overleveling, say, 10 levels, won't help you much.

The game doesn't expect you to farm levels, difficulty curve is pretty straightforward and is more about getting knowledge and skill that grind levels ala RPG.

If you want to get more echoes, you could try doing the side-story Chalice dungeons, they are great resources of blood echoes (and gems for your weapons). Mind you some people don't like it (I personally do).

Regarding skl/str. You might want to either main the Ludwig Holy Blade or just pick a stat and weapon set up. Have you done any of the chalice dungeons yet? I think It's fine to be about 80-90 for the final boss, it starts getting bit different if you chalice grind. I'm usually in the mid 90's when I get to final boss because I do chalice dungeons, it gets higher for the dlc though. Final DLC boss is way harder than the base game final boss.

I always end up around 60-70 to the end boss. The same with Dark 1 and 3 btw.

Leveling both STR/SKL is not a bad idea even with some SKL or STR oriented weapons, at least till 25.

Levels doesn't matter much so don't worry about it, against a boss you have problems with overleveling, say, 10 levels, won't help you much.

The game doesn't expect you to farm levels, difficulty curve is pretty straightforward and is more about getting knowledge and skill that grind levels ala RPG.

If you want to get more echoes, you could try doing the side-story Chalice dungeons, they are great resources of blood echoes (and gems for your weapons). Mind you some people don't like it (I personally do).

I always end up around 60-70 to the end boss. The same with Dark 1 and 3 btw.

Leveling both STR/SKL is not a bad idea even with some SKL or STR oriented weapons, at least till 25.
Yeah I probably over level a bit, I don't really skip areas and do a lot of chalice dungeons. I actually find them to be quite fun when you play them along with the story. There are some interesting bosses and challenging enemies in there. It's part of the fun in my opinion. Just talking about this game makes me want to either replay it or finish my pizza cutter run.

Ferr986

Yeah I probably over level a bit, I don't really skip areas and do a lot of chalice dungeons. I actually find them to be quite fun when you play them along with the story. There are some interesting bosses and challenging enemies in there. It's part of the fun in my opinion. Just talking about this game makes me want to either replay it or finish my pizza cutter run.

Do it, worth it for the hilarity of stunlocking enemies to death alone.

alt27

Thanks guys, sounds like I can just play along the main path and not worry too much about the stats. I plan on doing dungeons along the way, as I love dungeons and that type of content in other games.

Toxi

Banned

Oh those guys. I think they look like fleas myself, but yeah, they do kinda look like spiders.

And yeah, Ludwig is a crazy difficulty spike. Try to get in on his left side, and if he's about to do the charge, unlock and roll.

gogosox82

I still can't get over how great L
udwig
was, it's truly a work of art. Atmospheric, dark, beautiful, challenging, well designed, and also meaningful from a story/lore standpoint. It's definitely my top 5 Souls boss.

and the music, fuck, I mean just listen to THIS!

Agreed. The music for that fight is god tier. Still think Maria is my favorite boss in the entire series tho.

Love all the conversations we are having...I was able to beat Ludwig dueto the NPC I summoned sharing taking damage (I play offline), but yeah, that shit was epic and close to death. And now there's more creepy parts coming up? I love and care it at the same time. It does give me very strong DMC1 vibe which is one of my favorite games

Ferr986

WAIT WHAT!?

I have never seen this and I saw just about everything in this game!

Can't believe we are finding something new in Bloodborne in 2017...

Yeah me too, there's some really hidden stuff in Chalices. I wonder if I almost got it once when I got one of those enemies glitch to me (same noises)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1eLCWWfh7w

Considering the Loran Cleric also has that explosion AoE that is rare as fuck (not as rare as this one though), I wonder how many enemies in Chalices have rares attack like these.

Also, watch someone make a 1hour lore video about why
it's a dark messenger
lol

Ferr986

That is some real Lovecraft shit.

Loud, maddening noises from a different dimension that literally drives people mad.

The way it end is just...perfect.

It scared the shit out of me tbh lol

Sadly the enemy was glitched on the door and I think fell outside geometry so i couldn't see it like in that video, that enemy tends to be glitchy.

Ferr986

Oh, this is something new I have never saw!
tiny dark messenger-like projectil attack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz7jQQm3gjw
What the fuuuuuccckkkkk???
Yes, she does that if you are away from her, didnt noticed was that little thing.

The model is based on the parasites holding those guys as slaves I think, but this one is darker

http://i.imgur.com/Ehmjixj.jpg
I don't think I needed a close up of that. I keep forgetting how much Eldritch horror is in this game.

you are gonna love the next boss, or not.

-__-

How many times did you die falling off the stairs?

None luckily. I was seriously sweating when I saw a hunter on like 4th floor or something on a wheel. Or when the gun with a machine gun on top of the stairs.

The game is seriously unnerving. That one big enemy who screams and swings a lot and I could stagger it!

And on the bottom where you saw people asking for help on their beds, looked like they were transforming. I said nope and just killed them

Edit: I did die twice when the glass on the shelves broke and I got splashed with liquid. Was that a trap?

-__-

None luckily. I was seriously sweating when I saw a hunter on like 4th floor or something on a wheel. Or when the gun with a machine gun on top of the stairs.

The game is seriously unnerving. That one big enemy who screams and swings a lot and I could stagger it!

And on the bottom where you saw people asking for help on their beds, looked like they were transforming. I said nope and just killed them

Edit: I did die twice when the glass on the shelves broke and I got splashed with liquid. Was that a trap?
Yes that's a trap, it's a floor switch. You're lucky to not fall off the stairs since there's one staircase that's a bit of an optical illusion that I fall down twice. It's the one where a rat drops. Not to mention the crows at the upper upper level. The design is great, but damn it kills me.

Yes that's a trap, it's a floor switch. You're lucky to not fall off the stairs since there's one staircase that's a bit of an optical illusion that I fall down twice. It's the one where a rat drops. Not to mention the crows at the upper upper level. The design is great, but damn it kills me.

Oh yeah the crow! I saw it dropped now...could have been me too. And with the rats on top I was just like nope not going near. The level design is great. I can't believe how easy the shortcut is. Unnerving as fuck tho.

Now just gotta figure out how to best living failure.. .

Oh yeah the crow! I saw it dropped now...could have been me too. And with the rats on top I was just like nope not going near. The level design is great. I can't believe how easy the shortcut is. Unnerving as fuck tho.

Now just gotta figure out how to best living failure.. .

You can watch the floor number to orientate there is also a sidequest on that area

Top Bottom