• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Relaxed Muscle
(01-18-2014, 03:16 AM)
What's so bad talking about Xbox One ®, the highest new-gen selling console of December 2013?

I think that Youtubers can easily talk about the great advantages Xbox One ® against it's competitors while being 100% objective and not for money reasons.

Those people won't destroy their integrity for a bit of more money.

BTW, check my Ryse ® youtube playthrough, avaliable only on Xbox One ®.
RELIGHT
Banned
The transmutations of money-hatting over the last couple gens has been incredible. They don't even need a transmutation circle anymore.
xxracerxx
Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Originally Posted by Zeth

Looks like standard MCN monetization taken out of context. Xbox has adbuy with Machinima - Machinima circulates to their channels.

DTKT
Is this a case where you run an ad for the Xbox one on your channel? Or is it a case where you need to say positive things about the Xbone and you are rated on that?
stryke
(01-18-2014, 03:17 AM)
What's the criteria for "promoting"?

Could a popular youtuber just say "Get an Xbox One" at the end of a completely unrelated video and that would be enough or is it full on promotion promotion which entails dedicating a whole video on the console?
Shao Kahn Brewing a Stew
Banned

Originally Posted by DTKT

Is this a case where you run an ad for the Xbox one on your channel? Or is it a case where you need to say positive things about the Xbone and you are rated on that?

Use your imagination.

This post is brought to you by Xbox One®: Power to the Payers.
Einbroch
Banned

Originally Posted by DTKT

It's all views, so it would have to be in-video and not just a Microsoft ad.
K.Sabot
(01-18-2014, 03:18 AM)

Originally Posted by Relaxed Muscle

What's so bad talking about Xbox One ®, the highest new-gen selling console of December 2013?

I think that Youtubers can easily talk about the great advantages Xbox One ® against it's competitors while being 100% objective and not for money reasons.

BTW, check my Ryse ® youtube playthrough, definetly the best exclusive Xbox One ®.

You screwed up, it's Xbox One: The All-in-One Entertainment System® and Ryse: Son of Rome®.
Dart

Originally Posted by Y2Kev

$3.50 and I will eat a cactus on camera

Cactus leaves are actually quite delicious.
RELIGHT
Banned

Originally Posted by Relaxed Muscle

BTW, check my Ryse ® youtube playthrough, avaliable only on Xbox One ®.

Zornack
Hopefully this'll get more people to realize how much more easily influenced internet personalities are compared to video game journalists.
vilmer_
(01-18-2014, 03:19 AM)
Don't forget to like and subscribe for more!
Uno Venova
Banned
(01-18-2014, 03:19 AM)
I thought they always did this, popular machinima partners would put up a video talking about how awesome this new game is and never play it again, which always seemed fishy.
Freeman
Banned
(01-18-2014, 03:20 AM)
If Sony gives 1$ per 1000 views if you promote PS4 they would go bankrupt, nothing stops the hype train.

People should start to ironically promote Xones as well, get a little confusion in the mix.
Sandfox

Originally Posted by Zornack

Hopefully this'll get more people to realize how much more easily influenced internet personalities are compared to video game journalists.

That's not really fair when you consider that this could potentially be a lot of money for certain people.
Zeth

Originally Posted by xxracerxx

I don't get it. Re: your other post pre-edit, I have used the /s way too much lately and it is terrible, apologies :P
VibratingDonkey
Just Machinima?
What are the actual terms?
What is this?
BlackBuzzard
Okay so now that nobody trusts gaming journalizm anymore, they are trying to moneyhat youtubers? Whats next Twitch?
BoboBrazil
How much do they pay the viral markets to post on here and reddit?
SolidSnakex
(01-18-2014, 03:21 AM)

Originally Posted by upJTboogie

I thought they always did this, popular machinima partners would put up a video talking about how awesome this new game is and never play it again, which always seemed fishy.

Well, we know that EA sent free copies of Most Wanted to various Machinima members to play on their channel.
Zornack

Originally Posted by Sandfox

That's not really fair when you consider that this could potentially be a lot of money for certain people.

I have no problem with anyone taking this deal but I take issue with the idea some people have that youtube personalities are more "pure" than video games journalists. Journalists are told off for being in bed with video game companies all the time with no proof.
BPoole
National Association for the Advancement of Hipsters
A disgusting money hatting tactic from MS? I must be breathing oxygen today!
maquiladora
(01-18-2014, 03:22 AM)
I'm not understanding the shocked/disgusted reactions.

Isn't this just advertising on youtube channels of people that record themselves playing games?
UnluckyKate

Originally Posted by tbm24

I'm having a hard time seeing why this matters. Unless a company trying to market to their target audience is wrong or something.

Microsoft buying advertisement but not from professional, from youtubers.

It's clever. Yes, sneaky, a bit dishonest (to the people watching the channels that will promote this) but not a big deal. Just a good illustration of MS' shenanigans and lack of transparency
xxracerxx

I don't get it. Re: your other post pre-edit, I have used the /s way too much lately and it is terrible, apologies :P

Yeah I was being snarky and edited it out, but I just noticed it today on another post.

The money comes for all VIEWS, even if the people haven't watched another ad in front of the video like the current system. This is purely based on views.
travisbickle

Originally Posted by upJTboogie

Are you sure there's nothing in the small print underneath?

Like "this opinion was paid for by ..."
akGCO47
Banned
(01-18-2014, 03:23 AM)
could be just including the XBOX ONE in the titles as well. MarkOfJ and SandyRavage all have in the title when playing on xbone
spwolf
If this poster agrees with you, you're probably doing something very wrong.
(01-18-2014, 03:24 AM)

Originally Posted by Zornack

I have no problem with anyone taking this deal but I take issue with the idea some people have that youtube personalities are more "pure" than video games journalists. Journalists are told off for being in bed with video game companies all the time with no proof.

so basically they get paid if they tell us that XB1 rocks... and you have problem with that?

It is not an ad... it is paying for "review" basically.

On Amazon you get banned for that.

It is completely unethical. Imagine going to buy any product and you check reviews so see if it is good or not and buy it based on those reviews.... then later you find out it is not like advertised and that review was paid for. Is that ok? I dont think so.
SwiftDeath
Huh well that's going to have an interesting effect if true
StoopKid
I wouldn't be surprised if game journalist are next.
tbm24
(01-18-2014, 03:25 AM)

Originally Posted by UnluckyKate

Microsoft buying advertisement but not from professional, from youtubers.

It's clever. Yes, sneaky, a bit dishonest (to the people watching the channels that will promote this) but not a big deal. Just a good illustration of MS' shenanigans and lack of transparency

I think the amount of people who expect companies to be transparent about everything is a bit much. Either way, what's dishonest about it? They can't promote it? What's wrong with just highlighting the console?

I just don't get why this is seeming like a problem given some of the responses in this thread already.
Replicant
There's a duck in the room
There's a duck i-OWWWW
(01-18-2014, 03:25 AM)
$3? That's not even enough to buy Kinect.

Desperate MS is pathetic MS.
PSYGN
(01-18-2014, 03:26 AM)
Ah, yes, the good old "scratch my back and I'll throw some cash at you" tactic. Reminds me of the awesome Bing + Ebay deals. We saw how that turned out.
BlackBuzzard

Originally Posted by StoopKid

Next? Do you mean in general or just Microsoft? If you mean in general Gerstmann gate
The Cowboy

I wouldn't be surprised if games journalists got it first.
Kuro
(01-18-2014, 03:27 AM)
Is this why Adam Sessler kept defending Xbox One DRM?
zhorkat
(01-18-2014, 03:27 AM)

Originally Posted by Sandfox

I don't get how it's a matter of fairness how susceptible YouTubers are to being influenced by major corporations.
Pitmonkey
(01-18-2014, 03:28 AM)
Guys, this is nothing new. EA was in bed with Machinima during the promotion and reveal of Battlefield 4. Need for Speed was also on the list for a bit. E3 was also another big promotional stint through them.

http://www.examiner.com/article/mach...e3-2013-videos
RELIGHT
Banned

It's too late, they're already not feeling.

Iacobellis
It comes down to this to win the console generation? Whatever happened to just being honest and producing great games?
BlackBuzzard

Originally Posted by Kuro

He didnt know all the details.... /s
Zeth
(01-18-2014, 03:29 AM)

Originally Posted by xxracerxx

Yeah I was being snarky and edited it out, but I just noticed it today on another post.

The money comes for all VIEWS, even if the people haven't watched another ad in front of the video like the current system. This is purely based on views.

I see now, that sounds slightly non-standard but I'm not an expert on this at all. But the UK community manager, I'm guessing he's addressing members of the Machinima network? This isn't just some random bounty out for anyone who wants to be a shill, right?
Quadraphonic
XBONE Detective
(01-18-2014, 03:29 AM)

Originally Posted by Kuro

No. Adam Sessler wants to be as impartial as possible, so that he remains in the good graces of as many companies as possible. Mainly so publishers give him everything for free, so that he won't have to buy the consoles and games himself.
Uno Venova
Banned
(01-18-2014, 03:30 AM)
Everyone will jump on this if all they need is a 5 second clip before and/or after their videos, machinima will be rolling in green.
Zabant
Banned

Originally Posted by Pitmonkey

Not rumor - it's truth.

This is shady as fuck. Microsoft engaging in some underhanded tactics, forego the usual channels and pay the big youtubers a pittance to get their huge fanbases?

I Guarantee most of them will play it off like they are actually fans of the Xbox instead of because they're getting paid.
xxracerxx

But the UK community manager, I'm guessing he's addressing members of the Machinima network? This isn't just some random bounty out for anyone who wants to be a shill, right?

Seems that way for what we gather from the information presented.
jabuseika
If you can't win the hearts, buy them.
zeldablue

Originally Posted by Iacobellis

It comes down to this to win the console generation? Whatever happened to just being honest and producing great games?

Look at the Wii U.