• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD: Modern Warfare 3 Coming to Wii

Disguises

Lone_Prodigy said:
Online co-op? Nice. I believe WaW and MWR had local though.
WaW and MWR had a weird point and shoot co-op where the second player basically controlled an additional reticle on the screen. Black Ops did not have this mode and had no offline multiplayer what-so-ever. Going by that, I also assume MW3 will have no offline multiplayer either and the focus is on an online multiplayer experience.

Syphon Filter said:
lol they couldn't put best selling game on wii.
?

Has a MW3 headset for the Wii been announced? I hope they allow any ol' USB cans this time around, but ya never know with Activision.

dwu8991

Banned
Just played Black Ops on the projector - the Hong Kong stage.
That was pretty good. Makes you wonder if COD even needs the military theme.
I woudn't mind a true crime game like this. Felt so good, using the sniper.

I think Activision's marketing wil change dramatically when the WiiU comes out next year. COD on that will look fantastic and Activision will definitely want to market an HD experience on a Nintendo platform.

Chuck said:
Thanks, I was curious since there wasn't any headset listed on Amazon. Any word on if last year's Black Ops headset will work with MW3?
Yup. They are the same headset just a different skin.

Effect

I have a few hours left to preorder this on Amazon.com in order to get it delivered tomorrow and still can't make up my mind. The price won't drop for a while so it will be at its cheapest now outside of buying used. I'm passing on Skyrim because it's such huge game and Zelda will take up a lot of time already and Zelda is my must play game of the year and Skyrim might get the ultimate collection wait. Not getting Mario 3D Land until next month, along with a few other 3DS games, so I have the extra money. However not knowing exactly what I'll be getting is bothering me. At least with the other Wii versions of CoD there were leaks and some had the game early enough. Since it will be coming UPS I can't exactly refuse delivery if things turn out bad once video comes out tomorrow morning. Ugh. Decisions.

BurntPork

Banned
Sempuukyaku said:
I think Activision's marketing wil change dramatically when the WiiU comes out next year. COD on that will look fantastic and Activision will definitely want to market an HD experience on a Nintendo platform.
That, and it'll probably look slightly better than the 360 version.

Effect

I thought Microsoft's exclusivity in terms of promotion was suppose to end with this game as well. Does it?

cacildo

New Call of Duty is released for the wii. In complete silence, it sells 1mi+ copies and make a lot of wii players happy.

Its funny to notice that this "stealth release" is getting some good results.

The game is stripped of the usual gimmicks like "Yoda backpack co-op", Motion plus support, balance board support or stuff like that. They dont even advertise the "zapper support" (i BET nobody uses it) Its just a simpler version of the HD Call of Duty, but with IR aiming. And everybody is fine with it.

I think the Wii call of duty crowd is exactly the "casual gamer" playing an online FPS.
You know, like kids that enjoy gaming but have more stuff to do with their lives
And that bunch of dads who bought a wii for the kids and the family and suddenly have the chance to play something WITH GUNS in the system.

Im enjoying this COD trend on the wii. I was never the "online game" kind of guy, but this is something i really got into.

Effect said:
I thought Microsoft's exclusivity in terms of promotion was suppose to end with this game as well. Does it?

Yeah, I think it was for 3 years/games - MW2, BlOps, MW3...

I wonder what's going to happen next year, they should wait for next gen, imo.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
not this shit again, so no news at all about this until it suddenly pops up then the same old same old, TBH I liked the MP Blops ok it was missing some things, like DLC but I am looking to see how Wii MW3 comes out :D wonder what they will have to cut etc?

Effect

Phonomezer said:
Yeah, I think it was for 3 years/games - MW2, BlOps, MW3...

I wonder what's going to happen next year, they should wait for next gen, imo.

Nah. Activision isn't going to stop. What I wonder is if Nintendo will step in to get some kind of deal like that but I doubt it.

Going to hold off in the end. Buying sight unseen doesn't sit comfortable with me at the moment.

Luigiv

Effect said:
Oh Microsoft had an exclusivity deal? That'd explain it. It's worth pointing out that WaWii did get a fair bit of pre-release coverage and that worked out great for them, but then MWR, BO wii and MW3 wii have gotten nothing for absolutely no reason and have sold less then WaWii because of it. The timing seems to fit perfectly with this alleged Microsoft exclusivity deal.

Effect

Luigiv said:
Oh Microsoft had an exclusivity deal? That'd explain it. It's worth pointing out that WaWii did get a fair bit of pre-release coverage and that worked out great for them, but then MWR, BO wii and MW3 wii have gotten nothing for absolutely no reason and have sold less then WaWii because of it. The timing seems to fit perfectly with this alleged Microsoft exclusivity deal.

That's at least what I heard and it's the only thing that makes sense. The "Pre-order on Xbox 360" at the end of so many commercials for various games could only come from that I believe. Especially since CoD is a multiplatform series.

A major plus (for me) on the Wii version is the absence of "cheap" killstreaks, like the Chopper Gunner and Valkyrie Rockets. It's too bad that we'll most likely know nothing about this version until it drops tomorrow.

Edit: Are we going to keep MP discussion/friend codes inside this thread or inside the community thread?

rpmurphy

Effect said:
Really bad quality stream. Can't tell if its just that or the graphics that look bad.
Low fps stream for me, but I'm on mobile.

No Recon Drone in Support package. Don't see MOAB in any of them either (EDIT: nvm, it's not supposed to show)

Effect

MiniDitka said:
Getting ready to upload some HQ video.

How does it compare to Black Ops graphically? Worse, about the same, better? How hard is working your disc drive if you are playing it right off the disc?

fernoca

Posted it in the other thread, so guess should be here ...too.. :p

fernoca said:
C0NB0Y is expected to start uploading/posting videos of the Wii version on his YouTube Channel in an hour...or so. :)

(can't earlier than that because of the embargo)
Around 20 more minutes to go.

rpmurphy said:
Someone has a live stream of MP (dunno about quality): http://www.justin.tv/ifeartruth

As expected, Predator Missile, Reaper, AC130, and Osprey Gunner are cut from Assault package. No killcam. Callsigns and Emblems are in.
Hmm, does look better than I thought. Expected it to look more moody/blurry, but looked bright..clean.

MiniDitka

Effect said:
How does it compare to Black Ops graphically? Worse, about the same, better? How hard is working your disc drive if you are playing it right off the disc?
Just started so its hard to say but from what I've played I'd say it looks about the same.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Something is off with the dude's color settings in that youtube channel. Hope he sorts that before uploading MW3 stuff.

Going by the other stream I think they have improved the lighting. At least the map shown right now somewhat looks like it's just a dark damp area rather than completely devoid of any lighting whatsoever like in most other Wii COD outdoor areas. But maybe it's a fluke, some maps were converted better than others in previous games also. It basically depended on if they already had some baked lightmaps and things like that or if the original map relied on real time techniques, dynamic lighting, post processing, etc, which were all removed on Wii completely changing the intended look and making everything uniformly lit up and bland.

rpmurphy

fernoca said:
Posted it in the other thread, so guess should be here ...too.. :p
His videos aren't of the best quality though, blurry and color tends to be off, at least the last time I saw one of them.

fernoca

That.."horde-like mode" looks nice.

rpmurphy said:
His videos aren't of the best quality though, blurry and color tends to be off, at least the last time I saw one of them.
Oh, that I agree. But at least is nice to see people dedicated to the Wii version; so it should make for at least some fun videos if anything. :p

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
fernoca said:
That.."horde-like mode" looks nice.

Oh, that I agree. But at least is nice to see people dedicated to the Wii version; so it should make for at least some fun videos if anything. :p
Some Dazran303 dude on YouTube has pretty good Wiimote skills but the newer his videos the more bloated with crap they are. They used to be just gameplay. I dunno if he still plays on Wii but it was my go to page whenever someone sprouted bs about the Wiimote not being suitable for FPS.

Effect

Dazran has being a lot of other games lately so perhaps his skills have gotten a bit worse due to not focusing just on CoD. Which is a good thing I think since he's expanding his content. Overall I'd say his channel has gotten better for it.

rpmurphy

Alextended said:
Some Dazran303 dude on YouTube has pretty good Wiimote skills but the newer his videos the more bloated with crap they are. They used to be just gameplay. I dunno if he still plays on Wii but it was my go to page whenever someone sprouted bs about the Wiimote not being suitable for FPS.
He likes his live commentaries, that's for sure. Jodecideion also has good quality captures, but he tends to add a huge-ass frame around them into the videos (he's also a proud noobtuber lol).

fernoca

Thinking, if people want, on making a separate "discussion thread" for the Wii version.

One that I can continue updating with impressions, info and patch notes as are out.

Let me know, so Ill create some quick banner, go over some quick details, and update the rest as more impressions are out.

Just loaded up the game. First impression: WHY would they get rid of the numbers that measure your sensitivities??? I wrote down all my Blops controller settings (just as I did for MW:R), so I could have my controls exactly how I like them. And they got rid of the numbers! There's just a bunch of bars. And the bars don't correspond exactly to the bars on Blops either. So now I have to fine-tune my controls again... No idea why they did this.

Disguises

Hey, this looks pretty awesome. Looks like another job well done by Treyarch. Any mention of DLCs in the manual this time?

No mention of DLC in the manual.

Also, I'm entering my East Coast clan members who already put up their numbers into my Ally list. And once entered, it says "Ally Request Sent". Could this be a one way request system for friends?! So only one person has to enter in a friend code?

Top Bottom