• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Americans of Chinese heritage with southern accents living in the Mississippi Delta

I'm not quite sure why this is prejudiced. Minority communities trend towards either a unique accent or more neutral national accents.

Moreover there are more things that go into picking up one's accent than just location. We just tend to associate them with places. The assumption that would make this racist probably comes from a misunderstanding of what accents are more than anything else.

Plenty of white and black people from the south do not possess what people think of as the "standard" southern accent.

giphy.gif

The accent isn't odd. The fact that there is a Chinese community in this random part of Mississippi, and that they have there own style of Chinese cuisine, is. That's the interesting part to me.

Chinese Peepul? In Mississipeeeh? What in tarnation? Not my Murica...

I'm just giving you shit

I do not know why some of you think this is weird. The only time I was weirded by accents was when my cousin moved to Texas having a fairly normal American accent then I met her two years later and she developed a southern drawl. Knowing someone sounded different before is jarring, not people of a different race having an accent outside the stereotypical norm people have in their heads.

120v

i think everybody picks up on accents differently. i lived in the south my whole life but never really talked that way. i do say "y'all" and "down yonder" from time to time but that's it

on the other hand one of my best friends is vietmanese, born in indonesia and has the most hickass hillbilly accent i've ever heard

I used to find it odd when Aussie Chinese would speak with perfect accents. Then I spending time with them it became normal to me and I don't have such prejudices anymore.

My ex is Thai with a British accent.

alot of thais learn english from the british. probably cause there are so many british there teaching english and alot of british/european expats in thailand.

whenever I travel there, I run into more European farang than American. I am always shocked when I run into an another actual american because of the fact there are so many europeans.

I find it really strange that people from a multi cultural nation find this strange. What other accent are people from an area they have lived their entire life suppose to have.

They're American and they sound American.

El Sloth

Banned
I've been thinking this since the other thread and the thread I saw on reddit, but the way y'all talk about their accents make me uncomfortable.

Like, you're all doing exactly what the old lady at the end says her neighbors keep doing to her. I get that people already fetishize accents, but it's the weird combination with race that makes me feel some type of way...

"check out these CHINESE speaking like dem funny SOUTHERN FOLKS" is the vibe I keep getting, you feel me?

Don't you guys find it heartbreaking? They way this lady's families and others have been living in the same place for more than a century, 100+ god damn years, and people are still going, "check out these foreigners speaking like we do"?

I guess I'm just trying to say, it's a bummer to see the very things mentioned in the video repeatedly reinforced online by replies to said video.

Sinfamy

I saw Chinese people in Romania speaking perfect Romania at a German restaurant drinking a flight of beer. It was something I just wasn't used to for some reason.

I've been thinking this since the other thread and the thread I saw on reddit, but the way y'all talk about their accents make me uncomfortable.

Like, you're all doing exactly what the old lady at the end says her neighbors keep doing to her. I get that people already fetishize accents, but it's the weird combination with race that makes me feel some type of way...

"check out these CHINESE speaking like dem funny SOUTHERN FOLKS" is the vibe I keep getting, you feel me?

Don't you guys find it heartbreaking? They way this lady's families and others have been living in the same place for more than a century, 100+ god damn years, and people are still going, "check out these foreigners speaking like we do"?

I guess I'm just trying to say, it's a bummer to see the very things mentioned in the video repeatedly reinforced online by replies to said video.

asian americans arent percieved as real americans. they will always be "different." stay woke

I find it really strange that people from a multi cultural nation find this strange. What other accent are people from an area they have lived their entire life suppose to have.

They're American and they sound American.

It's strange to most people because they are simply ignorant how deep rooted that community of Asians has been in America in the Southern rural parts and speak the local rural dialect. This ignorance is largely due to media and the failure to show the full range of Asian Americaness but only a very limited scope of what it means filtered through the lens of Hollywood.

The majority of immigrants in general, especially the majority of Asian American immigrants that came after 1965, tend to live near more urban areas than somewhere in Bumble fuck, USA so people are used to them either having an ethnic accent. a "neutral" accent, or a specific big city accent.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Jesus christ the lack of perspective some of you have. FFS accents are based on where you're from, there's nothing fascinating about a family in the South having southern accents. Remind me of those dudes online who go "Oh....well you don't sound black."

Jesus christ the lack of perspective some of you have. FFS accents are based on where you're from, there's nothing fascinating about a family in the South having southern accents. Remind me of those dudes online who go "Oh....well you don't sound black."

They have a rural southern accent. I believe that's what people are shocked about, the RURAL part, because people don't associate Asians living in the rural south yet alone being there for generations. So the accent is much stronger to the ear. It's definitely ignorance on people's parts but I can understand it due to the invisibility of it and the association of ethnic minorities living in cities.

Plenty of people in the south don't have southern accents or have light southern accents including myself, specifically one's who live in big cities.

Some of ya'll really need to cool your jets.
As they say representation matters, its powerful.
The American south is usually depicted as lily-white region (with a smattering of black people here and there...) in our media.
People being surprised by seeing a community of Asian folks speaking with (relatively) thick southern accents really isn't that shocking to me when they're typically depicted as perpetually ornery foreigners with heavy, stereotypical east Asian accents.
:/

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Oh come on, name me one time Asian Americans weren't treated like Americans.

Recently? Sure racism from whites is rarely targeted to Asians the way it is to blacks and Latinos. But any time, chinaman was a slur

Cipherr

Oh for fucks sake some of you need to go find a fucking hobby. So a few gaffers found it cool to see the accent from families that migrated there decades ago.

Don't break your fucking arm patting yourself on the back for being above it all. Jesus Christ, Ill be sure to hide in your front pocket the next time you visit or see ANYTHING for the first time so I can be the annoying harpy in your ear about "WELL WHAT DID YOU THINK IT WAS GONNA LOOK LIKE LOL."
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Pein

Banned
That's nothing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEm2HoswmgA
Chinese man speaking Patois.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YW3TmlslGo

Chinese Jamaicans.

My father's best friend is a Chinese Jamaican and my grandfather's father was a Chinese Jamaican.

There are indian people who speak heavy patois in the Caribbean too, my family being some of them lol.

It blew my mind that there were loads of indian people in kenya, some girl I know moved away and I thought she moved to the US from canada at first, nah she was from kenya and she spoke English with no accent like that was some surprising stuff since I thought of kenya as a african only sorta country, it made me feel so racist and ignorant.

Also southern accent is so charming when its well spoken

Cipherr

The fuck does this even mean?

Quit with the "OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU GUYS DIDNT EXPECT THAT" shit. And especially the thinly veiled "Yeah because all chinese people sound the same right guys?" crap. Its unneeded, and annoying.

People saw a thing for a first time and thought it was cool, no ulterior motive or any other shit at all. You guys are the douche canoes standing at the entrance of the themepark shouting at everyone that looks up at the roller coasters in astonishment solely because "they should have expected that if they were going to a theme park!".

Basically, stop being so pissy and let people enjoy the god damned melting pot.

In short: Quit with the "OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU GUYS DIDNT EXPECT THAT" shit. And especially the thinly veiled "Yeah because all chinese people sound the same right guys?" shit. Its unneeded, and annoying.

Just as annoying as it is to asian american gaffers who get the "but where are you really from?" and "you don't sound asian at all" "you speak english perfectly" which falls in line with "omg chinese americans from the south with a southern accent! whudda thunk it!?" which is in this thread and it is just as annoying. but how would you know about that?

theres no need to quit anything just because you dont agree with it. mutha fuckas arent your servants. its a discussion forum.

Cipherr

Just as annoying as it is to asian american gaffers who get the "but where are you really from?" and "you don't sound asian at all" "you speak english perfectly" which falls in line with "omg chinese americans from the south with a southern accent! whudda thunk it!?" which is in this thread and it is just as annoying. but how would you know about that?

theres no need to quit anything just because you dont agree with it. mutha fuckas arent your servants. its a discussion forum.

I know plenty about it every time some smug asshole, or in worse cases a superior at work hits me with the "You don't sound black" "You are so well spoken" bullshit. But that's not what's happening to anyone here is it? Its people watching a video, seeing something for the first time and commenting. While people like you bug out and try to make connections to some shit that's not even happening.

But whatever, I'll speak on it as much as I please, like you said, discussion forum. Go ahead and let's see how many people want to spin the conversation off into an unrelated hypothetical. Good luck with that.

This is awesome

Careful now...
XPp90WO.png

lol

Just as annoying as it is to asian american gaffers who get the "but where are you really from?" and "you don't sound asian at all" "you speak english perfectly" and the "omg chinese americans from the south with a southern accent! whudda thunk it!?" is just as annoying. and unneeded. but how would you know about that?

The thing about it is I grew up in the 80's and early 90's in metro Atlanta, and my neighborhood and high school had a pretty high number of immigrant families (Afghan, Chinese, Indian, Korean, Vietnamese, Mexican, Jordanian, Lebanese, Guyanese, etc...) despite it being predominately Black. And I don't recall any of those students having any ethnic accents. Just their parents having it.

So I can only assume this ignorance it's due to people not growing up in diverse areas and seeing only those ethnic accents perpetuated through media.

I know plenty about it every time some smug asshole, or in worse cases a superior at work hits me with the "You don't sound black" "You are so well spoken" bullshit. But that's not what's happening to anyone here is it? Its people watching a video, seeing something for the first time and commenting. While people like you bug out and try to make connections to some shit that's not even happening.

But whatever, I'll speak on it as much as I please, like you said, discussion forum. Go ahead and let's see how many people want to spin the conversation off into an unrelated hypothetical. Good luck with that.

Careful now...
XPp90WO.png

lol

please, its the same shit. why would anyone be shocked that someone who lived their whole life in the south would have a southern accent.'oh cause they're asian. its ridiculous.

Aizo

Banned
A lot of these posts about it being odd to see certain races with certain accents rubs me the wrong way. I get that it's outside the purview of many, but isn't it completely logical that someone has a certain accent if they live somewhere long enough.

Kinda feel bad when I hear foreigners that learned Japanese in Kansai get comical reactions outside of that region for their dialect.

Edit: I guess I can get it more for people who aren't American or haven't spent much time in the US. They don't hear much of that accent in general.

Its crazy how much where your family grows up through the generations effect your accent over whats honestly not a long time. Like I know if your family has lived somewhere for a century they are bound to end up sounding like their neighbors but its pretty interesting in regards to just how similar we actually are as people. Their voices sound like any black or white man found in the same area. I feel like there are way to many people that think accents are based on race for whatever reason. More people need to see this or meet people like this for a better understanding.

wandering

Banned
Quit with the "OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU GUYS DIDNT EXPECT THAT" shit. And especially the thinly veiled "Yeah because all chinese people sound the same right guys?" crap. Its unneeded, and annoying.

People saw a thing for a first time and thought it was cool, no ulterior motive or any other shit at all. You guys are the douche canoes standing at the entrance of the themepark shouting at everyone that looks up at the roller coasters in astonishment solely because "they should have expected that if they were going to a theme park!".

Basically, stop being so pissy and let people enjoy the god damned melting pot.

Dude, you're the one getting all worked up about this.

I really appreciate the effect they had as well just being there. They were invaluable to the black community and Im sure they created an incredible bond with the families that they probably still have today.

Aizo

Banned
Its crazy how much where your family grows up through the generations effect your accent over whats honestly not a long time. Like I know if your family has lived somewhere for a century they are bound to end up sounding like their neighbors but its pretty interesting in regards to just how similar we actually are as people. Their voices sound like any black or white man found in the same area. I feel like there are way to many people that think accents are based on race for whatever reason. More people need to see this or meet people like this for a better understanding.
My Asian American friends say you can tell when someone is a first generation Asian American by their accent. Parental influence, I guess? I would assume that if you grew up somewhere, that's it. It doesn't take any longer to completely have the accent of your area.

the human race is fascinating. the fact that one human in a certain habitat can share similar characteristics as another human in the same habitat is astonishing. we should study this more for scientific purposes

:p

Top Bottom