• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Americans of Chinese heritage with southern accents living in the Mississippi Delta

I've been thinking this since the other thread and the thread I saw on reddit, but the way y'all talk about their accents make me uncomfortable.

Like, you're all doing exactly what the old lady at the end says her neighbors keep doing to her. I get that people already fetishize accents, but it's the weird combination with race that makes me feel some type of way...

"check out these CHINESE speaking like dem funny SOUTHERN FOLKS" is the vibe I keep getting, you feel me?

Don't you guys find it heartbreaking? They way this lady's families and others have been living in the same place for more than a century, 100+ god damn years, and people are still going, "check out these foreigners speaking like we do"?

I guess I'm just trying to say, it's a bummer to see the very things mentioned in the video repeatedly reinforced online by replies to said video.

This is why representation matters, if these types of stories were shared more often, we'd be seeing less of those reactions.

Its crazy how much where your family grows up through the generations effect your accent over whats honestly not a long time. Like I know if your family has lived somewhere for a century they are bound to end up sounding like their neighbors but its pretty interesting in regards to just how similar we actually are as people. Their voices sound like any black or white man found in the same area. I feel like there are way to many people that think accents are based on race for whatever reason. More people need to see this or meet people like this for a better understanding.

Not race, ethnicity plays a part due to speaking a different language, which is why there's so many different accents to a language. However interaction and assimilation will eventually as early as the 1st generation will lead to conforming to the social norms of speaking it in that area, region, or city.

Goofalo

Oh come on, name me one time Asian Americans weren't treated like Americans.

tumblr_o2t973pbZh1snpn26o1_1280.jpg

Not race, ethnicity plays a part due to speaking a different language, which is why there's so many different accents to a language. However interaction and assimilation will eventually as early as the 1st generation will lead to conforming to the social norms of speaking it in that area, region, or city.

I honestly need to do some research because I find this kind of stuff really interesting.

Good video but it shouldn't be as surprising as it is to that many people. There are Chinese immigrants all over the planet speaking all kinds of languages with all kinds of accents. The idea that Asian Americans can only have standard American accents or foreign-sounding ones is basically due to ignorance and a lack of representation in the media. Which is why it's good to travel, meet new folk and expand your world.

That said, it happens the other way around too. Here are some white people who grew up in Hong Kong speaking really good Cantonese.

Cipherr

This is why representation matters, if these types of stories were shared more often, we'd be seeing less of those reactions.

We would see a lot less of these reactions if people simply KNEW on average that there were sizable Chinese communities in the Mississippi Delta period. Most of the replies aren't because people are shocked that someone can have an accent... Like do you really think these people haven't seen Idris Elba or someone before? The shock comes from seeing that population in an area that people didnt actually KNOW had a chinese american community at all to begin with.

Theres a reason why the first sentence of the video description says:

There's a rather unknown community of Chinese-Americans who've lived in the Mississippi Delta for more than a hundred years.

The bolded is the part garnering the shock, not the fact that a human being can have an accent. I find it really ridiculous that this has to be explained to grown folks, but whatever. In any case, the first step to making sure these sort of stories are shared more is to not shit all over the people that take the time to watch and learn from them IMO.

I honestly need to do some research because I find this kind of stuff really interesting.

I mean you can look up how African American Vernacular English was created, which ironically has a lot in common with Southern Vernacular English, although it veers off into it's own thing where it doesn't have a lot in common with Southern Vernacular English and how it's evolved differently in different cities, areas, and regions and how some of it ends up disseminating into Mainstream American use.

Even after my posts in this thread, it seems my overly sarcastic post missed the mark.

I figured you were being sarcastic, but given people's views; it can be hard to tell. LOL

We would see a lot less of these reactions if people simply KNEW on average that there were sizable Chinese communities in the Mississippi Delta period. Most of the replies aren't because people are shocked that someone can have an accent... Like do you really think these people haven't seen Idris Elba or someone before? The shock comes from seeing that population in an area that people didnt actually KNOW had a chinese american community at all to begin with.

Theres a reason why the first sentence of the video description says:

There's a rather unknown community of Chinese-Americans who've lived in the Mississippi Delta for more than a hundred years.

The bolded is the part garnering the shock, not the fact that a human being can have an accent. I find it really ridiculous that this has to be explained to grown folks, but whatever. In any case, the first step to making sure these sort of stories are shared more is to not shit all over the people that take the time to watch and learn from them IMO.

what are you talking? alot of the posts ARE people shocked seeing chinese people with the accent. a few were shocked about the community existing there, but alot of the shocked ones were talking about how it was weird seeig that or their experiences of an asian american with a very location specific accent and the accent throwing them off because they are asian. did you not even read the posts? lol

I mean look at the post almost right after yours...

As a white southerner; this is fucking with my mind.

what are you talking? alot of the posts ARE people shocked seeing chinese people with the accent. a few were shocked about the community existing there, but alot of the shocked ones were talking about how it was weird seeig that or their experiences of an asian american with a very location specific accent and the accent throwing them off because they are asian. did you not even read the posts? lol

I mean look at the post almost right after yours...

But I do think it's rooted in people not knowing the community existed there and how long they've been there in the first place.

Quit with the "OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU GUYS DIDNT EXPECT THAT" shit. And especially the thinly veiled "Yeah because all chinese people sound the same right guys?" crap. Its unneeded, and annoying.

People saw a thing for a first time and thought it was cool, no ulterior motive or any other shit at all. You guys are the douche canoes standing at the entrance of the themepark shouting at everyone that looks up at the roller coasters in astonishment solely because "they should have expected that if they were going to a theme park!".

Basically, stop being so pissy and let people enjoy the god damned melting pot.
You honestly want people to enjoy the melting pot when the response is to said melting pot are "oh hey didn't expect minorities to be like other Americans"

And the only person really worked up is you, typing in caps.

Oh come on, name me one time Asian Americans weren't treated like Americans.

Chinese Exclusion Act? Japanese Internment? Even today, there is widespread discrimination against Asians in terms of university acceptances and job prospects (Palantir).

Did you even watch the video? One of the women interviewed says that even today, despite her family having been in the area for over a century, they still get treated like outsiders. She talks about how growing up, her family had to live in the back of their store, because the Chinese were not allowed to own property. Come on man.

It's really saddening to see the ignorance that people have when it comes to Asians, even on GAF.

Mossybrew

Not really concerned about the accent, but thanks OP for posting the video, an interesting little slice of history that I didn't know about.

Korey

I've been thinking this since the other thread and the thread I saw on reddit, but the way y'all talk about their accents make me uncomfortable.

Like, you're all doing exactly what the old lady at the end says her neighbors keep doing to her. I get that people already fetishize accents, but it's the weird combination with race that makes me feel some type of way...

"check out these CHINESE speaking like dem funny SOUTHERN FOLKS" is the vibe I keep getting, you feel me?

Don't you guys find it heartbreaking? They way this lady's families and others have been living in the same place for more than a century, 100+ god damn years, and people are still going, "check out these foreigners speaking like we do"?

I guess I'm just trying to say, it's a bummer to see the very things mentioned in the video repeatedly reinforced online by replies to said video.

I don't think people who are surprised by this are racist.

I think it's just an interesting race-accent combo that 99% of people are never exposed to, that's why it's interesting.

When it comes to the Southern accent, 99% of people are only exposed to white people speaking with that accent. And it's mostly stereotypically, in movies that take place in the south. Even black people in the south don't speak with a Southern drawl do they? (Forgive me if they do, I don't remember)

So it's interesting to most people that any person of color (black, Mexican, Asian, whatever) speaks with a Southern accent, although it totally makes sense if you think about it. Most people have just never thought about it, that's why it's a pleasant surprise.

Shit, you wanna see an accent that blows people minds, check out China Mac, but people could probably understand it more because it's a specific big city accent despite it being ethnic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFg66BJO2w4

China Mac freestyle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lx-3Ex2AxU

China Mac is the truth, I wish Vlad would get him back on the couch for another interview. Wish he would make some more music too.

Speaking of dudes like China Mac, this whole thread reminds me of the reaction when Jin blew up and people were tripping that a Chinese dude could rap and was on Freestyle Friday.

China Mac is the truth, I wish Vlad would get him back on the couch for another interview. Wish he would make some more music too.

Speaking of dudes like China Mac, this whole thread reminds me of the reaction when Jin blew up and people were tripping that a Chinese dude could rap and was on Freestyle Friday.

how sway? thought that fool was locked up again.

I've heard you can find Americans of African heritage with southern accents, Vietnamese who speak like California valley girls, and Scandinavian heritaged people with east Texas accents. CRAZY

suzu

Older folks with that accent is a bit more rare, but it's not strange. I have fam in Tennessee that sound similar (accent not as strong).

Yo, this is a perfect period piece setting for a predominately cast Asian American film. It could be damn near any genre too.

How often do Asian actors get to play Southern American rural country folk?

When it comes to the Southern accent, 99% of people are only exposed to white people speaking with that accent. And it's mostly stereotypically, in movies that take place in the south. Even black people in the south don't speak with a Southern drawl do they? (Forgive me if they do, I don't remember)

Go into areas outside of major metro areas and I can tell you they do. Also met some Hispanic people in rural areas with an accent. You have to really get out of the cities to find them though. People who grew up near a major metro area such as myself don't really have the stereotypical southern drawl. Only in a few words does any accent come through.

ChrisD

Reading the first few posts I was expecting some kind of crazy accent mix. Not just people speaking Southern since, you know, they were raised there. :p

unknown community of Chinese-Americans who've lived in the Mississippi Delta for more than a hundred years.

There are Chinese people literally in every town in the US now. They live differently, speak differently, have different subcultures, but they share one thing: as an Asian American, you're always an outsider to an extent. You're not a "real" American. One of the ladies in that video quite eloquently articulates that point.

I was also very interested to learn about this community, which I did not know about before. Let's not be facetious; a large amount of these comments were not about the community though, they were about the accent. What are we SUPPOSED to sound like? Is it really that surprising that when children grow up and go to school in an area, they adopt the speech patterns intrinsic to the area?

I'm reminded of an encounter I had with an elderly gentleman. He asked me what my name was, and I responded "HisImperialMajesty". He looked genuinely surprised, and joked that he was expecting more of a "Wang Chung", and laughed. Really, that's the name I'm SUPPOSED to have? Am I SUPPOSED to speak English in a certain way too?

Cipherr

Let's not be facetious; a large amount of these comments were not about the community though, they were about the accent. What are we SUPPOSED to sound like?

Lets not be facetious, but lets certainly make some huge assumptions right? Lets put it this way, there are MANY comments in the thread that specifically referenced the community in fact. But very few if any that said or dog whistled a straight up "What are we SUPPOSED to sound like".

Thought experiment here: It's very commonly known that there are many black people that grow up in the UK and have english accents. So no one really says anything when Chiwetel Ejiofor speaks. Do you honestly think that this thread has the exact same reactions if the sizable Chinese community in Clarksdale, MS was as well known as black people living and being raised in London is?

Or is it likely that the lack of knowledge concerning these communities in these areas typically (and inaccurately) depicted as being racially homogeneous plays a part in people's reaction when learning that the area is more diverse than they expected.

Sure. You might be right; everyone who in any way learned something new when they saw the video is basically lowkey racist and pulling a "You ain't supposed to talk that way!". But I'm guessing both based on my history and interaction with the community here, and a little faith in humanity that you may have made that leap a little too fast.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Chinese American here. My mom was born and raised in Chicago, as was I. We speak no Chinese. When I got sent to boarding school out east when I was 16, people remarked I had a Chicago accent. Which, in retrospect, was a very forward way of identifying me. I was not grouped in with students from Korea, for example. It wasn't till I got out to LA, I really felt foreign or grouped in with people who spoke English as a second language.

Laiza

Just as annoying as it is to asian american gaffers who get the "but where are you really from?" and "you don't sound asian at all" "you speak english perfectly" which falls in line with "omg chinese americans from the south with a southern accent! whudda thunk it!?" which is in this thread and it is just as annoying. but how would you know about that?

theres no need to quit anything just because you dont agree with it. mutha fuckas arent your servants. its a discussion forum.
Sorry, but... Asian American here too, and, y'know, I just can't see it the same way.

This is a rare combination. This specific accent with Asian American people just doesn't happen very often. The rarity makes it a novelty. That's all it is, alright?

I mean, I sure didn't have a "they aren't American" reaction to hearing that accent, that'd be ridiculous. I reacted to it pretty much the same way I react to someone (anyone) having a Queen's English accent - with curiosity and interest. That's all there is to it.

Sorry, but... Asian American here too, and, y'know, I just can't see it the same way.

This is a rare combination. This specific accent with Asian American people just doesn't happen very often. The rarity makes it a novelty. That's all it is, alright?

I mean, I sure didn't have a "they aren't American" reaction to hearing that accent, that'd be ridiculous. I reacted to it pretty much the same way I react to someone (anyone) having a Queen's English accent - with curiosity and interest. That's all there is to it.

just cause you ain't woke dont mean others don't have to be. other people echoed similar sentiments to what I posted so obviously it's not just a sole perspective. get woke

mcrommert

Banned

If people treated people like people instead of tribes and groups we wouldn't see these reactions. Also as there are very few of them still living in the south its hard to be that angry at the people taken aback by them. I mean this thread exists tells how this forum reacts.

I think as an Asian American you're more likely to simply see it as an interesting novelty but I'm sure there are actual people out there who watched this video and were like "woahhh they don't sound Asian" or something like that. Which is why I'm glad this video got made and people are talking about it and expanding their minds.

As an aside, I have several Asian American friends who went overseas and were totally surprised to find Australian Asians or British Asians who didn't speak with an American accent. I think media representation (or lack thereof) has really forced a lot of Americans to subconsciously create boxes in their minds of how people should look and sound, and it's always good when those boxes get broken.

how sway? thought that fool was locked up again.[/QUOTE]"]
how sway? thought that fool was locked up again.

Dunno if he got locked up again, far as I know he's still out there. Lol China Mac can be corny for sure but I first heard him back in the early 2000s and got a certain fondness for the dude.

nel e nel

I find it really strange that people from a multi cultural nation find this strange. What other accent are people from an area they have lived their entire life suppose to have.

They're American and they sound American.

Just because we're multicultural doesn't mean we're living in integrated communities. Hell, even cities like NYC and LA are highly segregated.

Pretty much this.

cyress8

Banned
Holy shit, do people think accents are a racial thing? Guess some of you spout shit like a black person "talking white" or a white person "talking black" This shit is learned from our enviroment. Race has 0 influence on how someone would talk.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Well, I have no problems saying that shit was new to me. I definitely wasn't taught about Chinese immigrants and their place in history in the south, and seeing an older Chinese speak with a southern drawl was cool as hell.

And can we talk more about southern Chinese food please? Why the hell isn't this more of a thing???

Top Bottom