• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the one thing that triggers your nostalgia?

M.W.

I ask because a friend of mine gave me an old Game Pro magazine which had those faces used for reviews, man it brought me back.

Also, any time I hear Power of Love by Huey Lewis

500_F_110109451_kSnblYzTwxD3rXzAxFuWJdkiZEbp5pSg.jpg

Anything related to Nickelodeon from the late 80s to the early/mid 90s.

And the same goes for MTV. Any time I see one of those old MTV logos or hear "I want my MTV" then it really triggers nostalgia.

Kyne

music.

I've religiously listened to music while tuning out the world my entire life. Whenever a song comes on it usually brings me to the exact moment in time where I listened to it. It's kind of weird. A song came on the other day and suddenly I was back in middle school taking a stroll around campus in the dark.

watershed

Banned
Ghibli stuff. Could be books, merchandise, music being played, and of course the films themselves. I catch a glimpse of any of that stuff, and I'm instantly nostalgic.

TheDanger

Banned
nothing makes me feel quite as nostalgic as Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, something about it just takes me back to that pure happiness I felt when playing it as a kid, it was my first GTA and it was just so fucking insanely otherworldly amazing to me at 8 years old.

I RAN SO FAR AWAY

Literally almost anything from the 80s, early 90s. Today, I live through my 7 and 4 year olds. I play games, and do shit that 7 and 4 year olds do.. as a grown adult. I'm terrified of being 55+ when you can't do this.. and like you have to just be old.

I should brush up on bingo

Spenny

The smell of coconut surf wax (Sticky Bumps or Sex Wax). Takes me back to playing NES in my cousins old room. Or just to the early 90s in general.

NieR Automata's soundtrack (which is strange
because it was triggered during the same playthrough with remixed versions of songs)
. The music programmers and composer deserve all the praise they get for that game.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing transports me to another time and place as well as music that I used to listen to. I regularly listen to music that I listened to during a great period in my life, and my spirits are instantly lifted up. Some specific smells are vividly but at the same time very vaguely nostalgic to me. I feel it intensely, but I don't know why and can't connect it with a certain time period.

Of course, old video games and the 90s in particular are incredibly nostalgic to me. But I encounter it often, so it doesn't really hit me as hard as those sudden punches of nostalgia that makes you remember things you thought you had forgotten forever.

woopWOOP

Old school 3D like in that MASK opening
Thumb-RC-Intro.png

Had a school notebook that depicted a town with trees with basic square, triangle, round and cylinder shapes in that style and I loved it.

This.

And specific albums I used to listen to during my youth like OK Computer. I can't listen to it without a thousand memories of teenage drama coming back, lol.

Also, the game boy and any piece of Toriyama art, be it from Dragonball, Dragon Quest, Doctor Slump or whatever else. Always reminds me of the early 90s.

Amory

Familiar smells are a big nostalgia trigger for me.

First girl I ever fell head over heels for, probably 15+ years ago wore some kind of perfume that I still smell every once in a while. It brings all those same emotions up even though I'm much older now and I don't even remember her name these days.

eXistor

Music.

Smells.

This too. I remember some years ago I visited the toystore I used to buy most of my games from back in the day (rows of NES games...good times) and while the store is completely different now (they used to have the games way in the back, now it's just dolls or some such), it still has the same smell. I hadn't visited the store in years and years and it really struck me; I was instantly transported back to those days where I was trying out Double Dragon 1 to see if I wanted it for my birthday.

Top Bottom