• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo Direct - Today! Right Now! [cvxfreak summary Post #85]

Needs more clarification on SD cards, Can you save full WiiU game data on them? or is it just save data? If it can't save full games why not?

SD card slot is just for the wii backwards compatibility. you cannot store Wii U games to anything in the SD card slot. you can use a USB card reader and save Wii U games to an SD card that way, although like USB flash drives, Nintendo do not recommend it due to write limits but it will work.

popeutlal

As long as you have a Y USB cable, you don't need to worry about the drive not working. Mine came with the $10 drive case I bought from newegg few years ago. That also worked fine with the Wii too.

I watched this as soon as it was posted on Twitter, and when I did, I'm pretty sure they mentioned a WiiU VC, which to me implies it's different from the Wii VC, and that you'd have to rebuy games. If this is the case (and I think it is), then I'll be a lot more careful about what I buy. I had bought 20,000 yen (250 bucks?) worth of VC stuff for my Wii.

There's no reason to assume this.

It's pointless to assume it based on the 3DS, which is a handheld platform with its own generally handheld-oriented VC with just a few NES games. You might as well also say that based on the 3DS, VC will never be ported over, since DSiware still runs in DSi mode.

This is the first time the VC will be transferred from a console to its successor, and the fact is we don't know how it will be handled.

Hanmik

I will try again..

so can you download a game directly to the External HDD..? and play it off the HDD..? or was that not clarified..?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I will try again..

so can you download a game directly to the External HDD..? and play it off the HDD..? or was that not clarified..?

I'm not sure if it was clarified in this video, but you can do that, just as the 3DS can download and run games directly off a 3DS card. The Wii U does not need to copy and store the game in local memory in order to run like Wii had to.

I will try again..

I don't believe it was clarified but this is still definitely the case.

We know that you can't do this on SD cards, and it's foolish to think for a second that they won't let Basic owners DL/play Tekken Tag 2. You can download games to HDD and play from them.

Hanmik

I'm not sure if it was clarified in this video, but you can do that, just as the 3DS can download and run games directly off a 3DS card. The Wii U does not need to copy and store the game in local memory in order to run like Wii had to.

that sounds good.. these Nintendo Direct shows manage to confuse me more than anything else. At least I know how coloured beans look in a glass container.!

kitsuneyo

Questions:

- Does it matter whether I get a 2.5" or 3.5" drive? Does one type use more power than the other? 3.5" drives seem a bit cheaper.

- Does it matter whether I get a 7200rpm or 5400rpm drive? Think there'll be loading time benefits? Again, does one use more power than the other? (guess the 7200rpm drives prob use more)

Looking at Amazon UK, I can get 250GB for about £30-35. Anyone complaining about WiiU's storage options is a dafty.

urfe

There's no reason to assume this.

It's pointless to assume it based on the 3DS, which is a handheld platform with its own generally handheld-oriented VC with just a few NES games. You might as well also say that based on the 3DS, VC will never be ported over, since DSiware still runs in DSi mode.

This is the first time the VC will be transferred from a console to its successor, and the fact is we don't know how it will be handled.

I listened to it again, and he says:

1) Wii VC games won't be playable on the Gamepad
2) Wii U VC games are in development, they will be playable on the Gamepad.

To me one was conclude that

Wii VC games and Wii U VC games are different.

Questions:

- Does it matter whether I get a 2.5" or 3.5" drive? Does one type use more power than the other? 3.5" drives seem a bit cheaper.

- Does it matter whether I get a 7200rpm or 5400rpm drive? Think there'll be loading time benefits? Again, does one use more power than the other? (guess the 7200rpm drives prob use more)

Looking at Amazon UK, I can get 250GB for about £30-35. Anyone complaining about WiiU's storage options is a dafty.

Normally 3.5" drives come with a power cord or something of the likes. So yes they use more power.

I think the fact that you can use your on HDD is pretty great. It should be more cost effective, and since it's up to 2TB you'll never have to worry about space. It could be a little bit of a hassle, but once it's setup and accommodated for then it'll be really nice.

Maybe Im not understanding, if you cant put games on a USB drive to play them off of, why the hell would I need a 2TB drive attached to my Wii U? This doesnt make sense, if I cant put the largest files I will have onto a USB drive, why bother connecting one at all? Saves arent that big.

Heres where Im pulling that info from

"No games on USB Flash Memory due to games not running properly all the time (whatever this means...)"

thefro

Hopefully they upgrade your Wii versions of VC games to Wii U versions once Wii U VC comes out.

Needs more clarification on SD cards, Can you save full WiiU game data on them? or is it just save data? If it can't save full games why not?

That's how you homebrewed a Wii, so if you can't save game data on that and exploit bugs in games it's much harder for the average user to do that to a Wii U.

Stewox

Banned
I get that all this has many advantages etc and that a lot of you techheads enjoy customizing everything but honestly, sometimes i can't help but long for the days we'd just buy a console, come home, open the package, plug it into our TVs and game away without ever having to worry about HDD space, compatibility, longevity, accounts and transfers and what not :(

Where's the fun in that.

I don't play PC games until i set everything to my high standards of customization, i hate FOV 65

I even buy general household stuff digitized even if i don't need those features, but just to thinker and tweak with those juicy electronics.

How does FOV 65 even get through QA, what kind of bs testing is that, the game is not playable like that unless your not serious. But I don't play games to goof around and waste time.

Nibel

Watching with the translated captions make Iwata look like a mad man!

News Flash! We are all Iwata.
PoS9n.png

And he's not dead just yet, but thanks for asking Yoshio Anna
IfyVd.png

Always be suspicious of parents with two or more children
n3jBy.png

And stop your kids from driving the minibus with WiiU!
mux4G.png

Sony Defence Force keeps Iwata up at night
fqI9G.png

And new Mario Bros game announced!
lEEb4.png

But the biggest megaton of all!
ygWVv.png

Behold the future. We can digitally download food and drink through the Wii U's eShop!

ibjuRuiZKP9F4B.gif

Blocks have been replaced by herring
lzfzY.png

The Japanese economy apparently collapsed over night
fNP7M.png

The UK requires special permission to play WiiU games
BFrbX.png

Warning! Using an SD card will aid Nintendo with their plans to abolish the current world order!
eeOYy.png

Pensioners can also benefit from buying a WiiU
VeC2d.png

Iwata says why hardcore gamers will never be happy
DrhwT.png

CPGe9.png

YOU'RE WELCOME

BGBW won this thread

sensui-tomo

so i either wipe my external hard drive to solely use it for the wiiU or keep it normal and have to yet again make more purchases for this wiiU (add a wii motion plus remote +pro controller + an external cause they cant allow users to partion certain parts like microsoft)

mantidor

Nothing really unexpected for anyone who has used an external hard drive. I love how Nintendo takes conservative to extremes, and people jumping to conclusions about it in the thread.

Erethian

Maybe Im not understanding, if you cant put games on a USB drive to play them off of, why the hell would I need a 2TB drive attached to my Wii U? This doesnt make sense, if I cant put the largest files I will have onto a USB drive, why bother connecting one at all? Saves arent that big.

Heres where Im pulling that info from

"No games on USB Flash Memory due to games not running properly all the time (whatever this means...)"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44326778&postcount=161

Blades64

Banned
Not having the eShop at the 3DS launch, not having the ability for mass storage at the Wii launch, etc.

I mean it's relatively minor stuff here, but still it's always vague when you get the stuff.

Oh I thought you meant just for the Wii U launch. Had me worried there, lol.

I got a few things on VC and Wii Shop Channel but that was many years ago

I'm pretty sure it was less than 5 games so I am not going to complain. I just want Wii U VC and games that work on my gamepad. Now that it is connected to Nintendo Network ID hopefully I can avoid a future where I can't take my games with me to the next gen console.

epmode

All of this information yet I'm still not sure about one thing:

Are game purchases tied to an account or the hardware itself?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's so hilarious that their per-game emulator setup for the Virtual Console ended up coming back and biting them on the ass, and it's even more hilarious that they didn't come up with any solution to this (for example, a Wii U wrapper for compiled Wii executables) in the last two years.

This was announced already, like a week ago. Game purchases are tied to systems. Anybody with an account on that system can play the game, even if they are playing under an account different than the one used to purchase the game.

also

Banned

They are tied to an account but we don't know how freely you can move that account. Maybe it's like with 3DS where you have to do a system transfer, maybe it's like with the Wii where Nintendo has to do it, maybe you can just sign in to your account on another console, maybe it's something else.

Comandr

Transcribe audio to captions> translate into english> "we are living in the future"

not a very good one but close enough.

1:02 "Goods and services or food and drink can be purchased at Nintendo"

Haha. There are so many one line gems in here I can't begin to list them all.

epmode

They're tied to your Nintendo Network account.

So if I purchase a second system for some reason, I can redownload all of my previously purchased games? I suppose the same doesn't go for Wii VC purchases, though.

They are tied to an account but we don't know how freely you can move that account. Maybe it's like with 3DS where you have to do a system transfer, maybe it's like with the Wii where Nintendo has to do it, maybe you can just sign in to your account on another console, maybe it's something else.

OK, so we still don't know for sure. Thanks.

Where are people getting the idea that downloaded games are tied to accounts? The purchase is tied to your account (of course) but the downloaded game itself is tied to the system so that any account on the system can play it.

So if I purchase a second system for some reason, I can redownload all of my previously purchased games? I suppose the same doesn't go for Wii VC purchases, though.

No. To do this you would need to contact Nintendo and ask about the possibility of moving the content over to the new Wii U. To do this with a 3DS, you need a police report so they have proof that the original one was lost/stolen (or you need to send them your broken 3DS as proof, I suppose).

lol you can erase that anyway

but you don't need external hdd which are crap quality, a normal internal sata one with a usb/sata adapter works best.

you should ask before you buy.

usb sata adapter

I guess the benefit of a desktop external drive is that it's in a case. That one you linked looked kinda fragile, even sitting behind your TV.

Also, I assume there will be a major read speed advantage on a desktop drive?

Erethian

Where are people getting the idea that downloaded games are tied to accounts? The purchase is tied to your account (of course) but the downloaded game itself is tied to the system so that any account on the system can play it.

He was asking about purchases.

They haven't explained yet how that will work.

I only read the summary, but does that mean I'll probably have to buy my VC titles again at some later point if I want to play them on the Gamepad ? Because that'd be fucking bullshit.

It means exactly that. Nintendo fucked up with the Wii VC. For people to expect Nintendo to port the games to WiiU was a pipedream from the get go.

Honestly I'm surprised so many people thought that this would happen. The Wiis DRM setup was and still is absolutely unmatched in its short sighted setup. It's downright pathethic, and just shows how far behind Nintendo was/is when it comes to Digital Distribution models.

I probably spent about 50 to 80 Euro on VC titles. I'll still be able to play them on wiiU after transfer, but I will probabyl double dip on about 2 or 3 titles to have them playable on the Gamepad.

It's so hilarious that their per-game emulator setup for the Virtual Console ended up coming back and biting them on the ass, and it's even more hilarious that they didn't come up with any solution to this (for example, a Wii U wrapper for compiled Wii executables) in the last two years.

What about Nintendos treatment of VC made you even jokingly entertain the idea that they would invest anything in something like that?

It is pathethic, but it was a long time coming, and no offense but people were simply deluding themselves if they were thinking that Nintendo would increase it's investment in the VC service in any significant way.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
do you even choose where to download games that you buy? Or does it automatically use internal memory until full, and then move to USB? Or automatically choose USB if its available?

well they did come up with a solution. it's just not very elegant. I am expecting better compatibility for Wii software (Wii VC / Wii eshop / Wii retail software) than we're going to see in Sony and Microsoft's next consoles.

partly that's avoiding setting myself up for disappointment. I really hope all my XBLA software works flawlessly on Microsoft's next console. I'm pretty convinced PS4 isn't going to support PS3 software at all with the hardware architecture changes though. Fortunately I'm not as invested in that with digital purchases as I am my 360.

So theoretically, could you connect a usb SD card reader and get the Wii U to attempt to use that for storing games, even though it would risk poor performance?

Top Bottom