• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 releases June 2nd (PC/XB1/PS4, Season Pass, Eliza, more details)

Neoxon

I'm just glad Heihachi and Kazuya are the ones primarily on the cover. Fuck Jin. I'm tired of Namco putting him as the face of Tekken so much.
To be fair, this is the end of Heihachi & Kazuya's story. Jin's probably gonna take the spotlight back for Tekken 8.

Two Words

bnkhYlG.gif

I think you have to get over the fact that Jin is the main character at this point.
Jin is getting the boot from that spot. Jin was just a distraction from the true Mishima storyline that will finally be settled.

Neoxon

Damn I hope not. Hopefully it's not a Mishima or Kazama or an Alexandersson.
That's like saying that Ryu shouldn't be the face of Street Fighter. Jin came in a bit late to the franchise, but Tekken 3 happened to be one of the biggest games (if not the biggest, but I could be mistaken) in the franchise.

Jin is getting the boot from that spot. Jin was just a distraction from the true Mishima storyline that will finally be settled.
Yeah, a spotlight that Jin's gonna promptly take back after Heihachi & Kazuya finally settle their business.
That is, unless they outright kill Jin in this game.

Seeing Kazumi's true devil form has me hella excited the form she had in the arcade version was kinda underwhelming.

I doubt Jun will be in the base roster but I hope she's dlc.

Two Words

That's like saying that Ryu shouldn't be the face of Street Fighter. Jin came in a bit late to the franchise, but Tekken 3 happened to be one of the biggest games (if not the biggest, but I could be mistaken) in the franchise.

Yeah, a spotlight that Jin's gonna promptly take back after Heihachi & Kazuya finally settle their business.
Jin can have it because the Tekken storyline is meaningless without the Heihachi/Kazuya feud. It may as well just be TTT non-canon story stuff afterwards. The only meaningful progression in the TekkenStoryline revolves around Heihachi and Kazuya.

Tekken 1- Kazuya has trained his whole life to seek revenge on his father, Heihachi, for throwing him off that cliff as a child. His deal with the devil gives him the strength to do so at the cost of his soul. He ultimately succeeds and throws Heihachi off the same cliff and takes over the Mishima Zaibatsu.

Tekken 2- Heihachi survives the fall and is determined to reclaim his empire. Kazuya struggles to fight the devil gene evil within him now. Ultimately, Heihachi succeeds and returns to power. To ensure his placement, he throws Kazuya into an active volcano

Tekken 3- Jin wins and is killed by Heihachi and turns into Devil Jin. No other real changes.

Tekken 4- Kazuya is restored by G-Corporation, but only the devil side of him remains. He takes over G-Corporation by force to take on the Mishima Zaibatsu. Jin wins and he flies off after thinking about his mommy. Again, no real progression on his part again.

Tekken 5- Jin finally capitalizes on a win with the absence of Heihachi, who is trapped in rubble. He now runs the Mishima Zaibatsu.

Tekken 6- Jin, finally in charge, basically starts WW3 to summon some dragon thing to kill for some reason that is supposed to vaguely deal with the devil gene? Meaningless filler, really.

Tekken 7- Kazuya and Heihachi intend to settle their feud, along with Heihachi's crimes against Kazuya's mother. Akuma has also entered the picture to settle this feud, with the intention to eliminate Botha Heihachi and Kazuya. I guess Jin kept failing at this so much that they had to walk over to the other side and let a Capcom fighter do it.

Basically, Jin's story is always pointless filler.

extremely long snip
Man you don't like Jin at all don't you? Ah well it's okay. I loathe Kazuya and Heihachi for various reasons but I do understand that lots of people like them. I just find Jin more fascinating.

Well, that and cause Tekken 3 was my first Tekken game.

ZenTzen

Tekken 3 is the biggest, it was literally the best selling FG before smash bros came along

Two Words

Man you don't like Jin at all don't you? Ah well it's okay. I loathe Kazuya and Heihachi for various reasons but I do understand that lots of people like them. I just find Jin more fascinating.

Well, that and cause Tekken 3 was my first Tekken game.
I think Jin is perfectly fine as a character. I think he is utterly boring when it comes to the Tekken storyline and Namco has spent 4 games of making him the primary story character.

Rajang

Yeah, Jin is pretty much the poster boy of the franchise since T3.

But he is not the main character in T7, sorry Inuhanyou.

I think Jin is perfectly fine as a character. I think he is utterly boring when it comes to the Tekken storyline and Namco has spent 4 games of making him the primary story character.
Okay that's totally fine. I apologize and rescind my enemy thing.

I just don't like Kazuya and Heihachi for screwing things up royally for everyone. Especially Heihachi and Kenpachi to an extent.

Wild Card

Um, every Tekken game since 2 has added characters post-launch. I still remember the excitement of seeing a new character every week. Then, the home version came out after the arcade's unlock process had finished (granted, in most of the earlier games they made us re-unlock everybody by blowing through arcade mode over and over). Obviously, in the early games, all the characters were in the game to begin with, they just didn't appear in the game until a certain number of days had passed. Nowadays, they're added via patches.

The big difference with this latest game is that apparently, they're adding more characters to it even after the console version releases. This is similar to how Sega recently handled Project DIVA Future Tone. They sold us DLC for the PS4 version that included songs added to the arcade game after the PS4 version came out.

I just wonder how many characters it is. I see mentions that there are only 2. What's the source for this? The official press release does not give a number.

A bit late on the reply but, and maybe my memory is foggy, but all those characters already existed and we available quite early. I'm talking about other DLC, characters, costumes, balance patches, months maybe years after release. Some DLC within the first month isn't what I would consider long term support.

Village

Okay that's totally fine. I apologize and rescind my enemy thing.

I just don't like Kazuya and Heihachi for screwing things up royally for everyone. Especially Heihachi and Kenpachi to an extent.

What did kazuya screw up tho?

Maybe during like tekken 2? Any point after that, he's kind of been fighting heihachi like most other folks. Hell in tekken 6 they joke about him being the actual good guy, man even tells lars to steer clear of the mishima bullshit.

Heihachi has takken horrible murderous approaches to everything he tries to get his hands on.

Two Words

What did kazuya screw up tho?

Maybe during like tekken 2? Any point after that, he's kind of been fighting heihachi like most other folks. Hell in tekken 6 they joke about him being the actual good guy, man even tells lars to steer clear of the mishima bullshit.

Heihachi has takken horrible murderous approaches to everything he tries to get his hands on.
All of that is still better than Jin starting WWIII and literally unmanned air striking weddings.

Zackat

man that's a long time away.

Just have to decide if I want it on ps4 or PC

I am guessing ps4 community will be way larger

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yeah, Jin is pretty much the poster boy of the franchise since T3.

But he is not the main character in T7, sorry Inuhanyou.

I mean that in the sense that he's the 'main character' of the Tekken franchise, that doesn't mean he has to be in the spotlight all the time.

Lars and Alisa were the main duo of Tekken 6 for example, and it still ended with Jin taking out the ultimate big bad himself despite being the general antagonist.

Kazuya was only generally the main character for the first game, and he's never actually destroyed any 'final boss' or did anything of actual note. he beat heihachi once out of revenge. turned evil, heihachi beat him back and threw him in a volcano.

He's been on a power trip since he came back and tries to essentially go after his own kid for no actual reason that was ever explained despite his major grudge being Heihachi. When i was younger i thought it was because of Devil infecting him but nope, he was just a dumbass.

Atleast with Jin, his major goal is to rid the world of the Devil Gene so it no longer can cause destruction. The exact opposite of Heihachi who just wants the gene himself.

All of that is still better than Jin starting WWIII and literally unmanned air striking weddings.

Jin saved the world from True Ogre, Jinpachi, and Azazel, (which essentially was the entire point of his war crimes btw as Azazel would have ended the entire world)

If you cant excuse him as a 'good guy' because of that, that's fine, its a grey area, just like Jin has been as the son of pure good and pure evil(jun as a kazama and kazuya as mishima respectively.

Village

Jin saved the world from True Ogre, Jinpachi, and Azazel, (which essentially was the entire point of his war crimes btw as Azazel would have ended the entire world)

If you cant excuse him as a 'good guy' because of that, that's fine, its a grey area, just like Jin has been as the son of pure good and pure evil(jun as a kazama and kazuya as mishima respectively.

One
kazuya isn't pure evil my any means

Two doing good things does not make you not an asshole

Tony stark is literally one of biggest assholes in all of marvel comics and he saves the world all the time. You do not get a get out of jail free card, when you are putting the world in danger

ZenTzen

Jin started all those things in order to kill a Azazel for good and get rid of the devil gene, since Azazel is apparently the origin of the devil gene, suffice to say that Azazel started speaking to him before he was fully awakened, also its stated only someone with the devil gene would be able to kill Azazel, and that Azazel awakening was an inevitability, this is why he even started to think of doing those things

Now does it excuse him of the things he did? Probably not, but he had very compelling reasons for it, you know, killing the greater evil even if the only way for that is doing evil things. Thats why he was also fully expecting of giving up his life by the end of the story campaign in T6

He basically did a Lelouch, for those that watched Code Geass

poodaddy

At first this kind of bummed me out, but the more I think about it the more excited I become. When I played this at Pax it already seemed incredibly polished, and the fact that they're putting this much more time into it has to mean that we may be getting one of the most beautiful, polished, tuned, balanced, and content rich fighters of all time come June.

In short, I approve.

Inuhanyou

One

Tony stark is literally one of biggest assholes in all of marvel comics and he saves the world all the time. You do not get a get out of jail free card, when you are putting the world in danger

What does Jin 'being an asshole' have to do with his being the main character? Whether or not one sees the value in his actions or sympathizes with his backstory or just thinks he's a bad guy because of some of the things he does isnt my point.

My entire point is that he is the main character.

In general i think Jin is a good character to be the main. Because he has an actual end goal despite his methods to achieving that.

Compared to the other prominent Mishima's in the running, Heihachi is quite obviously the main big bad of the story so far who has screwed over literally everyone, and Kazuya is just his victim really and everything he's done so far is due to that

One

Does Kazuya have any humanity left? all he seems concerned about is power and doesn't care how to get it. He's been an evil asshole since Tekken 2 when he became head of the zaibatsu.

Inuhanyou

Does Kazuya have any humanity left? all he seems concerned about is power and doesn't care how to get it. He's been an evil asshole since Tekken 2 when he became head of the zaibatsu.

That's what i've felt like. But at the same time, i do think he's still a victim like Harley Quinn. he's been taken advantage of by Heihachi his entire childhood life and essentially became just as hate filled as Heihachi because of that.

The only real wild cards in his equation are Jun and his mother, even Jin he generally hates for reasons we don't even know.

I was hoping they would atleast try and talk to each other when he came back, but all Kazuya tried to do was kill him and steal the devil gene away, putting him on Jin's shit list along with Heihachi. It was only because Jin had a vision of Jun that he spared both Heihachi and Kazuya on a whim in Tekken 4

ZenTzen

Kazuya has been purely evil since T4, T2 he still apparently had good in him, with the whole jun thing and the devil/angel stuff

Two Words

That's what i've felt like. But at the same time, i do think he's still a victim like Harley Quinn. he's been taken advantage of by Heihachi his entire childhood life and essentially became just as hate filled as Heihachi because of that.

The only real wild cards in his equation are Jun and his mother, even Jin he generally hates for reasons we don't even know.

I was hoping they would atleast try and talk to each other when he came back, but all Kazuya tried to do was kill him and steal the devil gene away, putting him on Jin's shit list along with Heihachi. It was only because Jin had a vision of Jun that he spared both Heihachi and Kazuya on a whim in Tekken 4
Yeah, spare them so he can commit war atrocities later instead of ending it then. It's what his mommy would have wanted.

You have a good point, in all honesty it should have been Jun to be the one to put an end to this shit and be the one to rid the world of the devil gene instead of Claudio. It would have been much more fitting and it wraps up the entire clan. But I really like Claudio as a character when I got to play vanilla.

What I see happening is Kazuya getting triggered by Heihachi when he finds out he killed the only one who showed him genuine affection and love and it motivates him to kill his father even more but obviously going by the trailer it was not an intentional kill.

The devil gene has done a number on this family.

Inuhanyou

Yeah, spare them so he can commit war atrocities later instead of ending it then. It's what his mommy would have wanted.

Enough with that strawman, we're talking about earlier in the series, not your personal pet peeve you dont like.

If we're being honest, all the Mishimas outside of Jinpachi have done major harm in the world through controlling the Zaibatsu, so i dont understand why you think Jin has to be singled out when he atleast had a better reason than either of the other two

Village

He literally is helping the world by fighting heihachi and jin

He was literally trying to stop jin from summoning a giant world destroying monster. This " does he have humanity left" is literally meaningless anime bullshit that has no bearing on what the characters are actually doing. Heihachi and Jin have been literally been making the world worse, and Kazuya has been fighting against that by fighting them. Who has humanity is meaningless, kazuya is the good guy.

lastly if he had no humanity left, he wouldn't have told lars not to get involved in the shenanigans in 6

" He has no humanity " is meaningless anime bullshit that has no bearing on the actual plot whatsoever.

Enough with that strawman, we're talking about earlier in the series, not your personal pet peeve you dont like.

If we're being honest, all the Mishimas outside of Jinpachi have done major harm in the world through controlling the Zaibatsu, so i dont understand why you think Jin has to be singled out when he atleast had a better reason than either of the other two

Its not a strawman if its relevant in true.

Kazuya ran a large gang.

Jin started wars. For the sake of trying to kill himself. He used the world as a sacrifice to try and summon a demon to possibly take his own life.

That is NOT the same

Even heihachi stopped it there.

You cannot equate what is essentially an Dirty corporation, to literally being boss and starting wars in other countries for your own personal gain.

Two Words

The dude needs to learn his place and get thrown into a chasm. The Tekken Story is just boring when it's "Jin will eventually win."

Inuhanyou

he was literally trying to stop jin from summoning a giant world destroying monster.

Kazuya was not trying to 'stop jin' from destroying the world. He wanted to take back control of the Zaibatsu through Jin's death, which along with his control of G corporation would have ensured his dominance of the entire world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkGN2iRWayU

Jin was the one who was trying to save the world by drawing out Azazel so he could take out that even bigger calamity which was claimed to be brought on by him and Kazuya fighting against each other.

Jin's entire purpose has been to end the devil gene, Mishimas and then himself in general so they could not do any more damage through the Zaibatsu or the bloodline, which is pretty much as good as you can get in the Mishima story line.

He was literally trying to stop jin from summoning a giant world destroying monster. This " does he have humanity left" is literally meaningless anime bullshit that has no bearing on what the characters are actually doing. Heihachi and Jin have been literally been making the world worse, and Kazuya has been fighting against that by fighting them. Who has humanity is meaningless, kazuya is the good guy.

lastly if he had no humanity left, he wouldn't have told lars not to get involved in the shenanigans in 6

" He has no humanity " is meaningless anime bullshit that has no bearing on the actual plot.

It was more of a genuine question than a outright statement but alright lol no need to be antsy.

But I do doubt he's doing it out of the goodness in his heart he always has an angle to his actions.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
All this boring Jin and Mishima talk...

I hope the two DLC characters are Roger (or grown up Jr.) and Nondescript Australian Man (w/dog) so I can see the rematch to this

man-punches-kangaroo-animated-gif.gif

All this boring Jin and Mishima talk...

I hope the two DLC characters are Roger (or grown up Jr.) and Nondescript Australian Man (w/dog) so I can see the rematch to this

man-punches-kangaroo-animated-gif.gif

I really want it to be Roger Jr fighting this time not his mother doing the fighting for him if he appears.

But considering they haven't done a proper timeskip yet he's most likely still in the pouch.

Village

He was not trying to 'stop jin' from destroying the world.

Which would have saved the world from jin starting wars in other countries

He wanted to take back control of the Zaibatsu through Jin's death, which along with his control of G corporation would have ensured his dominance of the entire world.

Nice non canon ending.
When you have a canon ending depicting what would have happened after that point, you would have a point.
But that's a non canon
You know what is canon though, Jin starting world wars and summoning a world destoying demon.
And Kazuya mobiliing G corp to stop him. That's canon. Him telling lars to stay out of the mishima bullshit because he has a heart
That's canon.
Jin was the one who was trying to save the world by drawing out Azazel so he could take out that even bigger calamity which was claimed to be brought on by him and Kazuya fighting against each other.
I'm sure the people in brazil who got murdered by his bombing appriciate him doing that for that. That thing no one knows is true besides jin saying it.

You know what everyone does know. Jin started a world war, kazuya was trying to stop it

we know that.

Jin's entire purpose has been to end the devil gene, Mishimas and then himself in general, which is pretty much as good as you can get in the Mishima story line.
" i'm going to end the devil gene"
" how "
" mass murder"
"jeez... if you are doing that , what did this last guy do "
" He ran a gang and brought fighting animals to the world like a fucking hero"

Inuhanyou

I hope one of the DLC characters is Kunimitsu. She's not dead and alive again ;_;

Or i'll take Julia atleast, not JayCee

ZenTzen

Kazuya was not trying to 'stop jin' from destroying the world. He wanted to take back control of the Zaibatsu through Jin's death, which along with his control of G corporation would have ensured his dominance of the entire world.

Jin's entire purpose has been to end the devil gene, Mishimas and then himself in general so they could not do any more damage through the Zaibatsu or the bloodline, which is pretty much as good as you can get in the Mishima story line.
Pretty much this

Kazuya wasnt fightingg against because of the goodness in his heart, he was just trying to just gain more power, jins plan to defeat azazel just gave him an excuse to do it in the open and pass himself as some good guy fighting the "Evil" corporation

Top Bottom