• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

I guess for the quarters I'd go with something like:

----------------------Guzan
Johnson - Gonzales - Ream - Beasley
-------------Bradley-----Beckerman-------
Bedoya--------Dempsey------Zardes
-----------------Johannssen-----------------

Klinsmann Q&A:
ussoccer.com: Jozy was still in the process of coming back from injury when the camp started, and the staff has been monitoring him from the beginning. What have you seen that led you to make the change for Alan Gordon?

JK: We believe that Jozy’s just not there yet. Jozy never really got into this tournament and never really picked up the rhythm. He’s just simply not in the shape right now to help us. For Jozy it’s just simply going back to Toronto, picking up his rhythm, getting in shape, working on his fitness and then he will start scoring goals again. That’s why Alan Gordon was on the standby roster from the beginning and that’s why we brought him in. He’s fully fit, he’s so full of energy, he scores goals with the Galaxy, and he fits in right away. He’s a pure giver to the group, and he might be a player that can make a difference at any second when you bring him in.”
ussoccer.com: Having the opportunity to make changes, you start with four-time World Cup veteran DaMarcus Beasley who captained this team to the Gold Cup title in 2013. How valuable is to have a player of his ability and experience in a tournament?

JK: Having DaMarcus come into the team is huge, because of his character, his giving nature, the spirit he brings, but also the high quality he brings. He brings a lot of experience into this group, and he’s hungry. He’s still as hungry as day one in his career. That speaks for us having him back in the group and now it gives us a couple of different options on how to put pieces together. We’re very happy to have Beas back. With Greg Garza it’s tough. It hurts when you have to tell a player that they’re not part of the final stage of the competition. Hopefully he joins us in Philadelphia for the final to be with the group again. He’s an emerging player. Greg Garza is there for the future. He’s only getting better. He’s done tremendously well these last two weeks, he knows that he has to grow more, get more experience and it’s as simple as that. It’s why we made the switch. It’s really fun to work with Greg. He has a great character, a great attitude every day – he gives you everything. For him it was another step in the right direction for the National Team and he totally understands that we want to switch it for right now.”

ussoccer.com: Where do you see Alfredo Morales at this stage, and what does Joe Corona bring to the table?

JK: “The switch with Alfredo to Joe Corona is a little bit because Alfredo is still on the rise. He is becoming a very strong player. He had a good year with Ingolstadt, he moved up to the first division in Germany, was their player of the season pretty much, but he’s still in the process to become a part of our team in the fine tuning element. There are certain things that just don’t click yet, and it’ll just take a little bit of time. Right now in the tournament, we don’t have that time. In the tournament now we need to produce results and get things done. With Joe we have that option to bring him in now. He knows CONCACAF inside out. Joe Corona is very experienced in playing against the teams from the Caribbean and Central America. He’s a player that can also help us, here and there, to hold the ball better, to take care of the ball. With his great technique, with his one-touch passing, he makes things very easy and simple. I think it’s a great opportunity to have Joe back, even if it hurts a little bit for Alfredo, but that’s just part of the game.”

xbhaskarx

Okay let's just throw all existing player performance analysis out the window... is there at least a stat to quantify "giver to the group"?

"Johnson doesn't create many scoring chances, but his GTTG is relatively high at 8.64"

Mory Dunz

I like it. How would Ream be at lb I wonder? He plays it for club so it might be a worth a shot. Beas is good too.

I feel like brooks shoukd start. All of our cbs stink so I feel we might as well force start some people and stick with it. On promise.

Like how Bradley was a starter when he was like 19. He wasn't the Bradley he is now and probably didn't deserve it some games. But he had potential.

Brooks probably has the highest ceiling and no one else is good. Why not make him permanent. Get comfortable

Mory Dunz

I kind of feel sorry for Agudelo. From what I've seen, it seems like playing for the US is huge for him. It's nice to see that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I kind of feel sorry for Agudelo. From what I've seen, it seems like playing for the US is huge for him. It's nice to see that.

Yea, but going from his national team performances it's obvious he isn't at the point where he can contribute constantly. Honestly Morris has easily passed him on the depth chart.

New York City FC Sign Colombian Defender Jefferson Mena

Between Angelino, Iraola and Mena they've completely remade their defense from the first half of the season...

Their old defense wouldn't cut it going forward, even with the strengthened midfield they'd be bleeding goals if they didn't make any changes to their backline. Toronto needs to do the same going forward.

tim.mbp

Johannssen's time to shine!
Please don't suck.

Hopefully we won't see Zusi again.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That'd be lovely. However, we're a red card or an injury away from having Connor Lade starting at CB. Shouldn't we be looking for some defensive reinforcements?

Moving to a 4-4-2 might allow us to trade some midfielders for defenders, as we won't need as many backups.

Osorio

Moving to a 4-4-2 might allow us to trade some midfielders for defenders, as we won't need as many backups.

I've been wondering if Leo Stolz has any value left. Supposedly a steal at the draft, he hasn't even done well against USL competition.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I've been wondering if Leo Stolz has any value left. Supposedly a steal at the draft, he hasn't even done well against USL competition.

I think it would be safe to move him down to USL fulltime.

It'll be interesting how our roster would change overall with these acquisitions.

Alan Gordon? Really?

I think a broken Jozy would be better than a healthy Alan Gordon.

I doubt Gordon will be starting, odds are he'd be the final sub in the last 15 minutes if we needed a goal.

Osorio

I haven't looked at my fantasy team since week 3.

Time for a comeback.

edit: Will Jozy play for TFC this weekend?

ZZMitch

When Alan "Just scores goals" Gordon scores a goal to win a knockout game for the US later in this tournament you will all be praising Klinsy

xbhaskarx

Union planning to launch USL team for 2016: "It's been a missing rung"

And so, like other MLS clubs, the Union have set the wheels in motion to launch and operate their own USL team with Sakiewicz telling MLSsoccer.com that he’s “confident it will be executed in the 2016 season.”

Sakiewicz insisted that the two-hour commute from PPL Park to Harrisburg’s cozy Skyline Sports Complex is not an issue and that the plans have “nothing to do with geography.” As such, the Union are looking into another area of Pennsylvania that’s not especially close but one that is rich in soccer history: Bethlehem.

The Union have already shown their deep appreciation for the area, having worn jerseys to honor the Bethlehem Steel, one of the country’s most successful clubs in the early part of the 20th century.

“We’re looking at all options,” Sakiewicz said, adding the team will likely finalize their plans in the next couple of months. “You know my love affair with the Bethlehem Steel and the jersey and I’m very proud we were able to revive that history. We’re studying that market closely, absolutely. There’s a lot of great soccer fans in the Lehigh Valley and they certainly deserve a team.”

Bring back Bethlehem Steel, that would be way better than Philly Union 2.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
When Alan "Just scores goals" Gordon scores a goal to win a knockout game for the US later in this tournament you will all be praising Klinsy

This is why he got brought on the provisional roster in the first place. He was always going to be replacing one of the strikers going into the knockout rounds, we're gonna be using him the same way LA does: as a sub in the dying minutes of a game we need to score in.

1EOJ6Sp.gif

But Dos Santos' biggest effect will come on the field, Galaxy Coach and General Manager Bruce Arena said.

“He has the individual flair that sometimes we lack in the final third of the field,” Arena said. “His running off the ball's good. He can go by people. He has an excellent first touch. He's a finisher. He can pass.

“He's got all those great little qualities in and around the penalty area.”

gyasi-zardes-la-galaxy-forw.jpg

ngower

Well, there is a successful coach from the American Northeast available to take over. It'll break my heart, but there's an option.

What if that ESG dude pops up at the press conference and screams at the Revs, "WHY DID YOU HIRE PETKE?!"

Cystm

I'm a little disappointed that no one's commented on Andrew Jennings' skewering of US Soccer Federation with its CEO two seats away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCdLAI82Gq4&t=1836

It is amazing.

Watching it now.

Dan Flynn is a shitbag. Watching him try to skirt around questions like that is pathetic. "I didn't... One sec. *leans back* What do I say to avoid the truth?"

This is disgusting.

Edit:

Good on Ms. Klobuchar calling out the disparity in pay disbursed to the WNT (2 millionfor a WC win) versus what the MNT (32 million) received for bowing out early in Brazil.

But, the response from Flynn is nothing more than dismissive and her points were not taken seriously at all. Afterwards he goes on to talk about how Canada was the only team to put in a bid for hosting the tournament. Why? Why is it exactly that we did not put in a bid nor did we do what was necessary to make sure the games were not played on artificial turf, Dan?

Top Bottom