• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Destiny 2 is year's biggest retail launch, but retail down 58% from Destiny 1

Everyone saying digital won't make up the numbers, have you thought that people might be buying the game + expansion digital bundle, isn't digital the only way to get the two? The base game is useless if you plan to play the game long term.
I got the limited edition: game plus expansion pass plus plastic tat for less than the game+expansion are on the PSStore.

Also, why would you buy that now? You can easily just buy the DLC as and when it comes out, its hardly like buy both now or its over.

Digital ratio for this game is probably wayyyyy higher than it already is in general (1/3 these days?)

Considering that digital was way lower when D1 launched I´d say this looks really solid.

What about the fact there are double the console owners now than there were back when D1 released. You'd think those extra buyers would have made sure those physical sales for D2 would have at least been around the same as the first game.

Marker007

I think a lot of people went into Destiny thinking it was going to be multi-platform Halo and when they got Diablo meets FPS with a far weaker story than the Halo series they checked out. A lot of people that bought the first game only finished the campaign and never bought the expansions. So now with less hype for a new franchise and a lot of Halo fans checking out we have a still pretty damn big group of people buying the sequel since it has it's own identity now. We'll see a ton of sales when it really hits PC too.

Fdkn

you can all keep mocking the digital comments but Destiny and its community don't work like most other console games. The concurrent users data given by Bungie themselves show a huge launch, so people have to be buying the game from somewhere.

GlamFM

Banned
What about the fact there are double the console owners now than there were back when D1 released. You'd think those extra buyers would have made sure those physical sales for D2 would have at least been around the same as the first game.

That´s not true. Unless 360 and PS3 are not consoles of course.

Wiped89

Good thing I'm not American so

There is clearly a digital market. May not be the number 1 market but suggesting they haven't sold any digitally is baffling

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/news/64771/uk-digital-games-sales-2016/

The digital market seems to be outperforming the retail market. Vast majority make be microtransactions but the uk loves digital spending

That includes mobile and PC so it's impossible to draw any console conclusions from it.

I don't know a single person who buys full new release games on digital on PS4 (or Xbox) in the UK among all my friends, associates and work colleagues. I'm not saying it made zero digital sales, I'm saying its digital sales will be much much lower than you probably think, and wayyy lower than the US.

jelly

Digital is only 10 quid more so I could believe some fans who spent countless hours on it first time around went that route this time.

That´s not true. Unless 360 and PS3 are not consoles of course.

Let's take those out of the equation then.

PS4 DESTINY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 192,000
XBO DESTINY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 150,000

PS4 DESTINY 2 (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 101,500
XBO DESTINY 2 (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 73,500

Kane1345

Hard to say anything without digital numbers. Anecdotally, the three people I know who bought this went physical due to the prices on PSN. I personally always go physical on console since it's way cheaper and I don't care about changing discs or anything. I'm waiting for the PC version and reading impressions etc until then to decide if I will actually get it. UK here.

GlamFM

Banned

Not fair though, cause a lot of the old gen owners have moved on to current gen.

Yup. I mean I think we are all in agreement that Halo is on the way down, even if you drag the digital sales into it, the trend is clear. Again, it's early, but it seems we are seeing the same thing here.

GlamFM

Banned
So shouldn't those old gen numbers now be part of what we are seeing with D2's sales? And yet they are lower than D1's.

Sure, but I don´t think it´s as dramatic as it seems because you can´t compare numbers from three years ago with numbers from today - especially considering Destiny.

Digital is a huge factor here.

Digital is already at 30%:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1305615

And in the case of Destiny it should even be way, way higher.

EDIT: So maybe you´re looking at a drop of 20% and that´s a gap the PC version might fill.

Even if digital makes the drop less bad than it seems, I'm still not sure how the result is a good one.

You kind of want to expand your series in sales rather than just an attempt to maintain the same base. It only takes one big mistake or a good competitor to eat your lunch and leave you in the dust.

A large amount of that will be because of digital sales. And PC not released yet.

Also people who felt burned by Destiny 1 will pick it up later (or not at all). The game will have legs like Destiny 1.

Sure, but I don´t think it´s as dramatic as it seems because you can´t compare numbers from three years ago with numbers from today - especially considering Destiny.

Digital is a huge factor here.

Digital is already at 30%:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1305615

And in the case of Destiny it should even be way, way higher.

You could make the case that the digital ratio of Destiny was already at 15% when it launched, and it would only be a 15-25% upgrade at max. for Destiny 2.

ianpm31

Even if digital makes the drop less bad than it seems, I'm still not sure how the result is a good one.

You kind of want to expand your series in sales rather than just an attempt to maintain the same base. It only takes one big mistake or a good competitor to eat your lunch and leave you in the dust.

I'm almost o positive they had growth in the US and that's the biggest market. Uk game market seems to be in decline

I'm not that surprised.
The beta was actually very bad in trying to sell Destiny 2 if you care more about the PvE.
But the game is much better than 1, I'm glad I got it

FLAguy954

I think it's kind of like Watch Dogs, where they hyped the first game to death, and it didn't meet expectations for many. Why would you come back for a sequel? Obviously D1 is more loved than WD1 but I think they are similar. I imagine the same will happen for an eventual The Division sequel.

I agree although The Division has improved immensely since launch. They're doing a good job with the year 2 updates.

GlamFM

Banned
You could make the case that the digital ratio of Destiny was already at 15% when it launched, and it would only be a 15-25% upgrade at max. for Destiny 2.

Let´s say 15% at D1 and something closer to 50% for D2.

You´re left with a gap the PC might close.

Question: I'm assuming this is true, but do we actually have any data?

People can and do gameshare don't forget, which certainly means some people will buy digital.

I've read multiple times UK is one of the highest consumers of digital content, whether this stops at console gaming I don't know but it would seem odd. I know the prices are expensive but it's all relative. Might not be expensive for someone else and I sure as hell wouldn't want a disc for Destiny if I played the previous one for a long time, which so many did.

Lucifon

I'm not surprised the numbers are down. Destiny 1 burnt a LOT of people. I also felt like the marketing leading up to launch was pretty lackluster here in the UK. It'll have strong legs though, and there's no doubt digital sales need to be accounted for.

Fdkn

That's just super unrealistic. Activison would have already told us if that was the case. I agree that PC will definitely help trying to closing the gap.

Activision is not going to tell you the UK digital split, but they already told us how happy they are with the current launch.

Ont

In the UK? LOL! Not until those prices go down.

LOL @ people saying digital.

Like Australia, why would anyone even buy this digital in UK..

The fact that you consider the UK digital prices to be high does not change the fact that an increasingly large number of people are buying games digitally because it is often easier and more convenient that way.

I have been buying most of my video games digitally since 2011 in the UK and it seems silly to me that there are no statistics which combine both the digital and physical sales.

I'm not surprised the numbers are down. Destiny 1 burnt a LOT of people. I also felt like the marketing leading up to launch was pretty lackluster here in the UK. It'll have strong legs though, and there's no doubt digital sales need to be accounted for.

I agree. Plus Destiny 1 launched across 4 platforms, and it was one of the first big (I know it was on last gen too) "next gen" titles.

The hype made for D1 was off the charts.

Maybe a lot of people will go PC as they can talk to their friends in WoW, Overwatch etc via Battle.net?

I wonder how not being on Steam will affect the results.
And I'm guessing it isn't on Steam because Bungie for some reason hates letting people know how Destiny sells, and Steamspy would let everyone know the number. Or they figure they'll still profit more due to not giving Valve a cut.

watdaeff4

It's not 50%. 30% is like the upper echelon for digital in most cases. Most games are in the 20 to 25% range.

I thought that it was posted here from one of the big publishers they are seeing a 30-35% digital attach rate now?
As someone who isn't a big Destiny fan, I could still see this game easily having 1/3 of its sales digitally.

Then factor in PC players and while I believe there will absolutely be a dropoff in sales it won't be that severe.

Ramirez

How many OTs did the first one get? 20? 30? I doubt this game will ever get 3 lol. D1 was massive here.

It's pretty clear most of the Destiny community has moved all of their discussion to the Discord they use, has nothing to do with the popularity of the game, lol.

Jamiaro

I bought physical because screw 69 euro digital versions.

On the same note, not really surprised about those numbers.

Digital Destiny 2 is £55. They're not buying it digitally.

Yep. Digital sales in the US cannot be extrapolated to Europe because we get fucked on pricing. Of course I expect the ratio has increased since 2014 when Destiny 1 launched, but I doubt that will make up for this significant shortfall at retail.

Xater

I thought that it was posted here from one of the big publishers they are seeing a 30-35% digital attach rate now?
As someone who isn't a big Destiny fan, I could still see this game easily having 1/3 of its sales digitally.

Then factor in PC players and while I believe there will absolutely be a dropoff in sales it won't be that severe.

Might be possible that it's slightly higher now. Still, I doubt it's at 50%

How many OTs did the first one get? 20? 30? I doubt this game will ever get 3 lol. D1 was massive here.

I will say this though, the fact that you are still fighting essentially the same enemies from Destiny 1 might very well hurt the longevity of the game among the hardcore which have killed countless of these already throughout the years.

Kareha

I wonder how not being on Steam will affect the results.
And I'm guessing it isn't on Steam because Bungie for some reason hates letting people know how Destiny sells, and Steamspy would let everyone know the number. Or they figure they'll still profit more due to not giving Valve a cut.

I would think a good portion of Steam users also have a Blizzard game or 2 installed that requires Battle.net, so it's probably getting a lot of exposure. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Destiny 2 inspired item pop up in WoW or Diablo 3 as a collectable item at some point.

It's not 50%. 30% is like the upper echelon for digital in most cases. Most games are in the 20 to 25% range.

30 is the industry average that heavily varies by games, platforms and region. Not the upper echelon

Even Halo 5 was already at 30% on Lauch back in 2015
Games like Fifa are stronger a retail, as said numerous times by ea.

Up to 50% digital is not out of reach

Top Bottom