• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shocking news: Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD being localized

Rocky

Banned
This is great news. Looks like it will be the "battle of the HD remakes" this fall. First, WW HD remake on the Wii U and now the KH HD remix on PS3. Personally, I'm more excited for KH.

Soriku

It's hit & miss for me. Guard Armor's color swap is terrible, whereas Phantom's...

...is actually an improvement.

Holy crap what did they do to Guard Armor? Looks like a clown now. Phantom looks cool though. Not sure about an improvement but at least just as good.

Actually why did they give all the Heartless recolors anyway?

SykoTech

Excellent boxart, especially for a collection game.

I hope they don't dump some crappy looking ones on the western territories like Sony did with the Sly collection. Just give me that.

Andrefpvs

Holy crap what did they do to Guard Armor? Looks like a clown now. Phantom looks cool though. Not sure about an improvement but at least just as good.

Actually why did they give all the Heartless recolors anyway?

I think they did it just because. They probably figured everyone playing Final Mix would have already played the original KH, so they changed how the enemies looked to make them appear "fresher".

To be honest, I kinda wish that for this remaster they would go and choose which recolours worked and which didn't and just keep the ones that look best. We'll see.

fvng

Who would replace him then? Amano?

Akihito Yoshida is the future of the series in terms of character design if you ask me. Just the right mix of both western and eastern influences in his design and his characters feel very final fantasy. Nomura's designs are the result of someone who has been drunk off anime targeted at 12 year olds.

Regardless of the success of FF14, the character designs themselves were terrific, and didnt reek of excessive anime influence.

Nomura has been doing characters since 7, it's time to hand the keys to someone else.

Yessssssssss....OMG I cannot wait for this. KH was my first game on the ps2 and back then I thought it was was average kids game......I could not have been more wrong its definitely one of my favourite franchises.

Hopefully this comes out in the first half of this year or is that too optimistic.

Also that box art is sexy. Nomura should draw more box arts for his games.

Magnus

Have they confirmed anywhere that KH2's control scheme (specifically for the camera) are being implanted into KH1? (or Re:COM too)

I remember that being discussed but wasn't sure.

Beth Cyra

Akihito Yoshida is the future of the series in terms of character design if you ask me. Just the right mix of both western and eastern influences in his design and his characters feel very final fantasy. Nomura's designs are the result of someone who has been drunk off anime targeted at 12 year olds.

Regardless of the success of FF14, the character designs themselves were terrific, and didnt reek of excessive anime influence.

Nomura has been doing characters since 7, it's time to hand the keys to someone else.
Great way to kill my interest in FF for good.

Also Nomura doesn't have just one style and is talented enough to mesh with most stuff they've thrown at him with FF XI's Elevan and Dissiidia being proof of this.

Stark

Banned
Akihito Yoshida is the future of the series in terms of character design if you ask me.

I wish he'd get more work on mainline FF's. Feels like he's barely done anything. :(

One of my favorites.

PS: I like Nomura's work a lot. Just would be nice if they rotate between the two. We've got enough Kamikokuryo for now.

I agree, Akhito Yoshida is awesome... However, the beauty of having a few different designers with unique styles is some great variety. FFT for ps1 has some of my favorite art in the series, but I would've been super bummed if that is what KH looked like. Nomura's style fits KH (and Versus if it ever comes out :p)

btkadams

Have they confirmed anywhere that KH2's control scheme (specifically for the camera) are being implanted into KH1? (or Re:COM too)

i believe the camera controls were confirmed (kh1's camera will now be on the right analog stick).

Andrefpvs

Here's the most recent list of KH1FM changes (from Zephyr):

Changes from the original version of Kingdom Hearts Final Mix:
- In addition to HD visuals, there are some changes with the character models and textures.
- English voices are reverted back to Japanese voices.
- Trophy support
- A custom theme is available once you finish the game.
- Abilities such as EXP Zero, gives you no experience gained, and Combo Master, lets you perform combos with interruption, are added.
- You use the right analog stick for camera controls. R3 reverts the camera to default position.
- Some special actions like "Talk" are utilized with triangle.
- Magic and Summon are each given a separate command.

There's also more stuff like a slightly revised script, but I'd have to look for older interviews to find that information.

Soriku

For the character models I know they're using KH 3D character models but not all the characters in KH1/Re: CoM/Days were in KH 3D. Are they giving the missing characters KH 3D level character models too? And what about the backgrounds?

I may have to try to give KH another shot. I tried to play the original one but I hated the combat system at the time. I did not like having to manage/worry about the other party members and it just seemed frustrating at the time.

Ponn

Banned
Oh my, that is some glorious box art.

Could have been a little better. Have Kairi sitting on his lap, Donald, Goofy and Riku throwing money at the Disney Princesses in bikinis grinding on stripper poles. That would have enhanced Sora's pimp look on the throne greatly.

fvng

I wish he'd get more work on mainline FF's. Feels like he's barely done anything. :(

One of my favorites.

PS: I like Nomura's work a lot. Just would be nice if they rotate between the two. We've got enough Kamikokuryo for now.

Agreed, well Nomura's style has become synonymous with final fantasy for a lot of people. I think it is time for Yoshida's style to become the de facto style of the FF series in the way that Nomura's is right now. I also feel like Nomura's style has hurt the FF brand in the west. Besides being visually stagnate, it also turns off western players to the series who are turned off by the heavy anime aesthetics.

I agree, Akhito Yoshida is awesome... However, the beauty of having a few different designers with unique styles is some great variety. FFT for ps1 has some of my favorite art in the series, but I would've been super bummed if that is what KH looked like. Nomura's style fits KH (and Versus if it ever comes out :p)

Well if it were up to me, Nomura can continue doing his thing with the kingdom hearts series, and Yoshida could take over for the mainline FF series.

Beth Cyra

Agreed, well Nomura's style has become synonymous with final fantasy for a lot of people. I think it is time for Yoshida's style to become the de facto style of the FF series in the way that Nomura's is right now. I also feel like Nomura's style has hurt the FF brand in the west. Besides being visually stagnate, it also turns off western players to the series who are turned off by the heavy anime aesthetics.

Well if it were up to me, Nomura can continue doing his thing with the kingdom hearts series, and Yoshida could take over for the mainline FF series.
So the man who has created all the largely popular characters in the west is some how a negative force in the west?

Also I guess this would explain why IX and XII lite up the sales charts and how XIII was trashed because of character designs and not bad writing and pacing.

Kikujiro

Your post doesn't make any sense when FFVII, FFVIII, FFX and Kingdom Hearts are extremely popular in the west (and they sold better than any other FFs). His style is nowhere near heavy anime and people criticized him because FFVIII characters looked too western. You really underestimate how popular Nomura's style is.

fvng

So the man who has created all the largely popular characters in the west is some how a negative force in the west?

Also I guess this would explain why IX and XII lite up the sales charts and how XIII was trashed because of character designs and not bad writing and pacing.

Say what? FF12 sold 6 million units. Not exactly chump change. 9 and 12 were released at the tail end of their respect console's life cycle. If they weren't released in the shadow of the next generation of consoles, they would have easily sold 8 million+ units.

I hope you are not suggesting those games are commercial or critical failures, because they weren't.

If you're talking about quality rather than sales, then 9 is one of the best in the series, right next to 6 in my book.

Your post doesn't make any sense when FFVII, FFVIII, FFX and Kingdom Hearts are extremely popular in the west (and they sold better than any other FFs). His style is nowhere heavy anime and people criticized him because FFVIII characters looked too western. You really underestimate how popular Nomura's style is.

Anyhow, I should clarify. The heavy anime aesthetic will turn off prospective fans of the series who would otherwise dive in.

I'm a long time fan of the series and I'm getting a little tired of the anime look that really wasn't there back in the SNES days of the series. If I'M tired of that aesthetic, I'm sure some person who spent 100+ hours on the latest elder scrolls game, will be even less inclined to try a final fantasy game.

For the character models I know they're using KH 3D character models but not all the characters in KH1/Re: CoM/Days were in KH 3D. Are they giving the missing characters KH 3D level character models too? And what about the backgrounds?

I figured they are also using the RE:COM models too since the models in that game were basically the KH3D's models. BUt I did see Tarzan also got a model update too, so maybe they did it individually.

Beth Cyra

Say what? FF12 sold 6 million units. Not exactly chump change. 9 and 12 were released at the tail end of their respect console's life cycle. If they weren't released in the shadow of the next generation of consoles, they would have easily sold 8 million+ units.

I hope you are not suggesting those games are commercial or critical failures, because they weren't.

If you're talking about quality rather than sales, then 9 is one of the best in the series, right next to 6 in my book.

Anyhow, I should clarify. The heavy anime aesthetic will turn off prospective fans of the series who would otherwise dive in.

I'm a long time fan of the series and I'm getting a little tired of the anime look that really wasn't there back in the SNES days of the series.
You can think whatever you like, the fact that you claim IX and XII would have moved 8+ million tells me you are refuse to look at reality and will make up whatever to try and defend your argument regardless of it being factual.

Also XII didn't sell 6 Million, it was over shipped just like XIII. Sell through barely beat XIII and maybe even has fallen behind it.

Kikujiro

I'm a long time fan of the series and I'm getting a little tired of the anime look that really wasn't there back in the SNES days of the series.

Saying Nomura's style is heavy anime is wrong (look for Disgaea, Atelier or Tales, those are heavy anime), saying his style turns off people in the west is complete bullshit, when the games he worked on sold way better than those where he didn't work on (especially in the west), and these are numbers, facts. You can dislike the guy as much as you want, but don't say stupid things like he's not popular because that's just false.

fvng

You can think whatever you like, the fact that you claim IX and XII would have moved 8+ million tells me you are refuse to look at reality and will make up whatever to try and defend your argument regardless of it being factual.

Also XII didn't sell 6 Million, it was over shipped just like XIII. Sell through barely beat XIII and maybe even has fallen behind it.

Sold or Shipped, implying that those games were failures is not factual. Furthermore it is was implied that the lack of Nomura on 9 and 12 somehow hurt those games financially in the long run. Ludicrous.

I'm only stating my opinion, opinions are not matters of fact. Take it or leave it. I'm offering commentary on the series. I think it would be good change of pace for the mainline FF series to have a character designer that isn't Nomura and that isn't channeling a heavy anime aesthetic.

Long time fans will buy every FF game, but prospective western fans may reject it on aesthetic alone.

Square-Enix needs to start appealing to RPG fans who despise the JRPG aesthetic, and Akihiko Yoshida does a wonderful job of marrying both western and eastern style in his artistic style. Not Quite Anime, not quite Dragon Age either.

FFXIV_2.0_Concept.jpg

art_akihiko_yoshida.jpg

Saying Nomura's style is heavy anime is wrong (look for Disgaea, Atelier or Tales, those are heavy anime), saying his style turns off people in the west is complete bullshit, when the games he worked on sold way better than those where he didn't work on (especially in the west), and these are numbers, facts. You can dislike the guy as much as you want, but don't say stupid things like he's not popular because that's just false.

I never said he wasn't popular. Also, as I said before, the games he didn't work on (12 and 9 in particular) were released right at the end of their console's life cycle, they were overlooked.

FF12 was literally released a month before the launch of PS3. PS2 games were barely on anyone's mind back then. They were lost in the shuffle.

Please don't suggest that his lack of contribution hurt those games, that is absurd.

Your post doesn't make any sense when FFVII, FFVIII, FFX and Kingdom Hearts are extremely popular in the west (and they sold better than any other FFs). His style is nowhere near heavy anime and people criticized him because FFVIII characters looked too western. You really underestimate how popular Nomura's style is.
dBNKQ.gif

I like this style. It doesn't make me feel like Nomura is any better or worse, just different. However, on topic, this would be terrible in kingdom hearts

fvng

Akihiko has nice art as does Nomura but the true king is Amano.

Ultimately what we all want is the return of Amano, though I figure there is a generation of FF fans that don't give a shit about his artistic style, but for guys like me, his artwork defined the series growing up in the 90s. I suppose complaining about Nomura makes me sound a grouchy old man about the direction of the series, but I'll say this. I'm still looking forward to Versus, seems like the shot of testosterone the series needs after 13-2 and X-2.

At least it hasn't gotten too creepy or weird like other SE threads lately
Yeah, all the people talking about how sexy 16-year-old girl characters are and how they wish they had bigger breasts are REALLY weirding me out lately. I wish Dragona were still around to cut down on that kind of crap.

Beth Cyra

At least it hasn't gotten too creepy or weird like other SE threads lately
This thread has no real Toriyama stuff to bring out the crazy.

Anyways, I think I'm going to grab both the JPN copy as well as NA. I just got to play threw it to see SoF in HD and hope it's voiced.

Mit-

I have no idea what's going on in here, but why does sell-through matter on a title that is many years old?

Do you not think they eventually sold all those copies? Did they just throw them away somewhere? Do you have proof that they didn't sell?

Complaining about sell-through is only relevant when a company boasts about sales numbers a month or so after release when in reality the game over-shipped and probably won't have new shipments for a long time, if any.

Also I kind of liked navigating through the command menu with the right stick :\ Is this still possible at all when camera control is on the right stick?

Also I kind of liked navigating through the command menu with the right stick :\ Is this still possible at all when camera control is on the right stick?

If my memory of 2 is correct, which is what this is supposedly based on, holding down one of the shoulder buttons switch the right stick to menu navigation.

About two years ago I paid for the Japanese Final Mix versions with the Swap Magic and Slide Card.

I don't regret that purchase, and I will be getting this one as well. I hope they localize the Final Mix version of Birth by Sleep, so I don't have to throw down another $40 and struggle with the Japanese text again.

Also I hope they voice act all those scenes that remained silent in the first Kingdom Hearts; when they presumably localize Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix, I hope they really go for the voice acting, because there are a ton of silent scenes in that one as well.
There is a fan translation for BBS FM so if you can work with CFW with your PSP/Vita you can play it without problems.

Top Bottom