• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

noomi

Are you serious HDR game mode fix coming soon?

Is this real life?

Also got 1203 this morning, not sure what's changed though...

R-User!

The PS4 would have to go through CEC for remote functionality. So, make sure both the TV and PS4 have CEC active. I think it's called anynet on the TV. The XBO works via IR though. The TV just treats it as a recognized device that the remote can control. I connect my consoles directly to my TV though, so I'm not sure how if it also works when passing through a reciever.

Receiver used here.

I used to not like CEC, but I'll try to get used to it for a while again. Sometimes the consistency of when it does/doesn't turn something on/off is annoying from what I remember.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Dynamic Contrast Low and Gamma +1 is the perfect setting for me. I've been messing with this setting multiple times a week since I got the set exactly a year ago, and this is the setting that I've finally settled on and haven't touched in months.

It's perfect. Adds punchiness and brightness without distorting the image in any noticeable way.

I'm going to try this tonight

Wat

You can control the PS4 and XB1 with the TV remote?

This seems crazy to me.

I actually forgot I needed to do this to get it to work, but yeah, you need to set up CEC. I believe it's "Anynet+" in the Samsung menus, as well as the PS4 setting above. Will allow you to turn on the PS4 by selecting the input on the remote as well.

This is witch craft! Can't wait to try this out when I get home today.

jfoul

Receiver used here.

I used to not like CEC, but I'll try to get used to it for a while again. Sometimes the consistency of when it does/doesn't turn something on/off is annoying from what I remember.

This is my issue with it right now. I don't know If I'm missing a setting, but turning on the tv will turn on my ps4 and Xbox one with this enabled. Holding down the back button to close apps would also turn on consoles or prompt the shut down of a console. I only like having my receiver power on with the tv.

Oh its real, finally. So good

Sorry , I'm trying to catch up,
but where or who said anything about HDR fix ?

And man, when is this TV getting an update?

Other modes will automatically change your settings to where you had them while playing HDR content. So using the Netflix App on the TV (in Movie Mode), I select an HDR title and the Backlight automatically goes to 20 where I had it set and back down once I leave the HDR content.

This doesn't work for Game mode. Playing an SDR game and then switching to HDR content on PS4, for example, I have to go in and change Backlight to 20 myself. Then I manually lower it back down from 20 once I switch back from an HDR title.

With the update, it will work like it does in Movie mode, or anywhere else.

I thought "Game Mode" was useless?
Didn't we all agree that movie mode was the only setup necessary for everything?

Belker

As far as I am aware game mode improves input lag.

Game mode has 21ms of input delay. WHatever it is in movie mode, it's worse. The low input delay was one of the primary reasons I bought this TV. I moved from a 13ms Sony Bravia - the best available in a TV at the time - and I've not really noticed the difference.

Doombear

Sorry , I'm trying to catch up,
but where or who said anything about HDR fix ?

And man, when is this TV getting an update?

I thought "Game Mode" was useless?
Didn't we all agree that movie mode was the only setup necessary for everything?

Picture Mode set to Movie but Special Viewing Mode set to Gaming. If I understand what you are questioning.

Yoday

You can do the same on PS4, at least on the Pro.

Directions and center button works. Long pressing the back button on the remote brings up the Quick Menu to close apps, turn off the system, etc.
I actually had no idea long pressing the back button did anything. I tried it on Xbox, and it does indeed bring up home. No more grabbing the controller when I want to change apps or close something! You can do pretty much everything from the guide, so the remote can be used for just about everything but playing a game. Thanks for the tip.

Heel

I actually had no idea long pressing the back button did anything. I tried it on Xbox, and it does indeed bring up home. No more grabbing the controller when I want to change apps or close something! You can do pretty much everything from the guide, so the remote can be used for just about everything but playing a game. Thanks for the tip.

Nice. Yeah, I'm not sure how I figured that one out but I'm glad I did.

Yoday

Nice. Yeah, I'm not sure how I figured that one out but I'm glad I did.
I've tried it in the past with the thinking that if it closes TV apps, then it could also do something on the Xbox. It didn't work when I tried it myself, so I assume I just didn't hold it long enough.

mario_O

Probably been asked a lot but do you guys use dynamic contrast for 4k/hdr movie? I have it off for gaming.

Yes. But it depends on the source. For some content it gives you that extra contrast/light without getting rid of -much- detail. But when I use it, I lower the backlight from 20 to 18-17. Also, I never go higher than 'medium'.

Ledsen

Does anyone else have an issue where your Source labels change?

I swear, I've set my PS4 label at least 5-6 times over the past year and it keeps going back to the default of 'HDMI2/DVI'. The last time I changed it was a few days ago and now today it's defaulted again...

Is this the updates doing that?

Also, this thing seems to never lose my XBO input and I'm pretty sure when I bought the TV it auto-named the HDMI 1 to Xbox and put an Xbox controller logo on there. No idea how to do that with PS4.

Yes, this is a huge problem on PC since it auto-switches to PC mode whenever you restart your computer. So I have to switch it manually to Game Mode every day.

The fact that you can't turn off auto input switching is the biggest problem with this TV by far, so annoying.

Probably been asked a lot but do you guys use dynamic contrast for 4k/hdr movie? I have it off for gaming.

DC on low is fine (and my preferred setting), anything above that causes a white crush. No DC is too dark for my very bright room. My default non-HDR brightness at day is 12 too so keep in mind how bright my flat is.

cabot

Yes, this is a huge problem on PC since it auto-switches to PC mode whenever you restart your computer. So I have to switch it manually to Game Mode every day.

The fact that you can't turn off auto input switching is the biggest problem with this TV by far, so annoying.

So to get out of PC mode, I rename the source?

And rebooting resets that?

I find it weird you can void a feature by merely renaming, but I'll give it a go tonight!

philm87

There's a steam link app. You connect a controller to the TV via bluetooth or USB and it streams steam games from a networked PC. Mine is in another room, but this lets me play Steam games in the living room.

That is pretty cool. Don't think it's out in the UK yet. I also lack a PC. But it costs £40 for the Steam link box usually, so to just be able to do it through the app is brilliant.

noomi

There's a steam link app. You connect a controller to the TV via bluetooth or USB and it streams steam games from a networked PC. Mine is in another room, but this lets me play Steam games in the living room.

wow! that's awesome!

gotta look into that, thanks!

Have you tried the actual Steam Link hardware? How's the performance in comparison?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Have you tried the actual Steam Link hardware? How's the performance in comparison?

I have an actual Steamlink upstairs and it performs similarly, though upstairs it's on a tiny TV and the living room is massive by comparison so quality of detail may well be different. In terms of playability they are the same though. I've played Mad Max, Arkham Asylum, some Need for Speed and Assassin's Creed Rogue just fine. I have no tried a FPS like Doom or Wolfenstein but I should.

I thought Anynet just controlled what devices the remote can connect to?

This is the TV trying to identify "new" devices being connected to HDMI ports. It also renames the input on my PS4 Pro randomly.

Yeah you're right. My Switch input is renamed to HDMI 3. Weird thing is WiiU is still HDMI 4.

Sheppard

Got a question for everyone.

I followed this video here for my settings, Digital Foundry KS8000 settings for a ps4, and the tv looks bland while playing games with HDR. I noticed that if I turn off game mode, HDR looks amazing. Is the new FW that is coming out, fix this issue or is there any advice you can give to make this PS4 games look better with game mode on? Thanks for your help!

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
A little bit off-topic, in that this isn't related to gaming, but has anybody found an app for this TV that will allow streaming of your UV movies, like Flixster or CinemaNow?

I can get them on my Xbox, but I'd rather the TV pulled them straight through if possible.

I'm in the UK, if that makes a difference.

Syrus

Banned

I followed this video here for my settings, Digital Foundry KS8000 settings for a ps4, and the tv looks bland while playing games with HDR. I noticed that if I turn off game mode, HDR looks amazing. Is the new FW that is coming out, fix this issue or is there any advice you can give to make this PS4 games look better with game mode on? Thanks for your help!

Ill have to test this weekend with gears 4 but I dont think game mode HDR looks different from others.

My game mode picture looks same as my standard settings.

Also the HDR fix was posted by Rudy1on AVS

AndyD

aka andydumi

Make sure backlight is way up during HDR games. I would enter settings while the HDR game is playing honestly. Exactly the way they show it. Either pause the game or let it run so you can see differences instantly.

Picture Mode set to Movie but Special Viewing Mode set to Gaming. If I understand what you are questioning.

Ok.

So If I run games in game mode I benefit from better input lag resistance ,
than what would be the sacrifice as opposed to choosing game mode instead of movie mode?

A little bit off-topic, in that this isn't related to gaming, but has anybody found an app for this TV that will allow streaming of your UV movies, like Flixster or CinemaNow?

I can get them on my Xbox, but I'd rather the TV pulled them straight through if possible.

I'm in the UK, if that makes a difference.

VUDU is where I watch all my UV stuff, though I don't know if it's available in the UK.

I went to best buy today and they had an HDR samsung Demo playing on their TV's
Anyone know where I can download or have a link for it?

I'm assuming is their 2017 latest demo reel

Syrus

Banned
Ok.

So If I run games in game mode I benefit from better input lag resistance ,
than what would be the sacrifice as opposed to choosing game mode instead of movie mode?

No image processing. So the image May noy look as good buy Ive switchee back n forth and cant tell a difference.

I turn most things off anyways.

Game mode doesnt turn backlight to 20 , contrast yo 100 and smart LED to high automatically when HDR is being used. Which is why your picture wony look as good as movie mode.

Novembet 27th theyll havr an update where it does it auypmatically

Ledsen

So to get out of PC mode, I rename the source?

And rebooting resets that?

I find it weird you can void a feature by merely renaming, but I'll give it a go tonight!

Yep, if you rename the source (I usually just change it to blu-ray since that's closest on the list) you get out of PC mode and once again get access to all the picture settings. But yeah restarting resets it again :( it's obviously a "feature" that you can't turn off.

Composer

Ill have to test this weekend with gears 4 but I dont think game mode HDR looks different from others.

My game mode picture looks same as my standard settings.

Also the HDR fix was posted by Rudy1on AVS

What is the fix? Sorry just wanted some clarification.

sugarman

How far away do you guys sit from your TV? I moved my couch up so i'm 5'4 away from it (55"), per that thread about 4k and viewing distances... I like it. Although the gf does not lol.

ss_lemonade

Mine randomly stays in game mode or pc mode and I don't really know what causes the TV to do that. I know that I used to be able to force my TV to see my laptop as a PC or not by fiddling with some color setting on my laptop, but I haven't had much luck with my desktop. I wish I could have it stay in PC mode though, only to take advantage of separate SDR/HDR profiles until game mode is fixed.

Top Bottom