• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorsports |OT| of Endurance Racing, Nascar, Rally, Sportscars, MotoGP, etc

Arcticfox

I like when they come back from a commercial break for 10 seconds to remind you there is a race running, then immediately go back to commercial.

That was a great entry to the pits by Bourdais if he stayed below the speed limit.

Shaneus

So it's over now?

Shame it was so difficult for most people to access. It only hurts their respective sports when they try and lock streams away from international viewers. Thank christ the WEC have got it right!

Arcticfox

How did the folks in that crash get on? Didn't look too good...
Last report I saw said the GT driver did not have any serious injuries and Memo Gidley in the prototype has had leg, arm and back surgery. I have not seen any news on the exact injuries.

Shaneus

Only just found this now, but WEC trailer for 2014. Features a surprising amount of Webber, considering he hasn't been in the WEC for a while until very recently. Guessing they're banking on him drawing a crowd.

B.K.

The idiots running NASCAR have announced their new, shitty format for the Chase this year.

• 16 drivers will be eligible for the Chase. A driver must have a win to be eligible for the Chase. If more than 16 drivers win a race during the first 26 races, points determine who gets in. If there aren't 16 winners, the highest driver without a win gets in.

• All 16 drivers will have their points reset to the same amount. No more bonus points for winning a race.

• There will be three rounds of eliminations: after the third, sixth, and ninth races of the Chase. The four last positions will be eliminated, unless they have a win.

• All remaining drivers have their points reset to the same amount after each elimination.

• Before the final race at Homestead, the final four drivers will have their points reset. Whoever has the best finish at Homestead is the champion.

They made it football on wheels. It certainly won't be dull, but you can't get a whole lot further from traditional than that. A lot of fans might hate it, but the media is going to love it. I think that's probably the point.

@Psychotext Nice! Be sure to post some picks come June.

Talamius

What's to stop someone from wrecking the other three guys at the beginning of the last race?

What's to stop people from wrecking each other at the end of a race, knowing the points penalty is meaningless? Win and you're basically in the playoffs.

This goes a long way towards turning NASCAR into a bloodsport.

B.K.

Chase format is bullshit, but I'll still watch the races :(

I'll probably watch Daytona, Talladega, and the short tracks, but I don't have any interest in the Sprint Cup Series now. The Nationwide and Truck Series have better racing, anyway.

The idiots running NASCAR have announced their new, shitty format for the Chase this year.

• 16 drivers will be eligible for the Chase. A driver must have a win to be eligible for the Chase. If more than 16 drivers win a race during the first 26 races, points determine who gets in. If there aren't 16 winners, the highest driver without a win gets in.

• All 16 drivers will have their points reset to the same amount. No more bonus points for winning a race.

• There will be three rounds of eliminations: after the third, sixth, and ninth races of the Chase. The four last positions will be eliminated, unless they have a win.

• All remaining drivers have their points reset to the same amount after each elimination.

• Before the final race at Homestead, the final four drivers will have their points reset. Whoever has the best finish at Homestead is the champion.
16 drivers?

Not enough :lols in the world. Only positive is a side effect I'm sure NASCAR hasn't considered and will overreact to after a driver does it:

Drivers straight up skipping some of the first 26. For example... with these rules, why wouldn't Smoke just blow off the Coke 600 to race Indy?

Chris R

16 drivers?

Not enough :lols in the world. Only positive is a side effect I'm sure NASCAR hasn't considered and will overreact to after a driver does it:

Drivers straight up skipping some of the first 26. For example... with these rules, why wouldn't Smoke just blow off the Coke 600 to race Indy?

If he has a win or two by then I'd say go for it, but if he doesn't... Would suck to be the driver in 2nd place without a win...

I'd love to see Jr win 35 races and blow an engine lap 1 in Homestead. I don't think the France family would make it out of Florida alive.

I'll probably watch Daytona, Talladega, and the short tracks, but I don't have any interest in the Sprint Cup Series now. The Nationwide and Truck Series have better racing, anyway.

Truck series is what I'll be paying attention to. That and any Nationwide race that isn't 1/4 full of Sprint Cup drivers. I'll probably skip some of the 1.5milers though, can't say I care for most of them.

Dead Man

God, I don't even know where to start with mocking this, utterly stupid.

Chris R

I'd like to go to Eldora. That was the best race of any NASCAR series last year.

If I lived within driving distance I'd totally be there. Just hard to spend so much money to fly down JUST for the truck race, since there is nothing else around for a hundred plus miles (Sandusky/Cedar Point is probably the only thing in Ohio I'd want to visit).

Are there new racing documentaries about last season in the same vein as Truth in 24?
Not sure if it came out last season or 2012, but there's Truth in 24 II. Lots of drama similar to the first, but for a different reason. Free on iTunes like the first.

There's also Racing Dreams about some 10-12 year olds go-karting to try to move up in to some NASCAR feeder series. Think that also came out in 2012 though.

Leunam

Can't believe I missed this thread. Definitely going to follow more than F1 this year. Would like to follow MotoGP, NASCAR, and DTM some more this year.

dubc35

Gigi Galli. Love this guy. Zero fucks given.

The night stages are kind of hard to follow, daylight ones later on. Nice sweeping right hander @ 3:23

Mandatory for any Galli post
original.gif

dubc35

How have I never heard of this guy before?!? Is he a current WRC driver?

He's like, the Ken Block of actual rallying.

He was in the WRC in the early-mid 2000's I think. He was never all that good but as you can see by his driving style he doesn't seem to care, or he cares more about having fun than being fast. Either way he was always good fun to watch.

Sad new, about the biker.

I hope pro Rallying never gets so corporate that there's no longer any room for the no fucks given guys. God bless Loeb, but I want to see the nutters.

I've always loved this video of Francois Delecour terrorizing the town in which he lives in a GT3RS with Chris Harris. He's a proper nutjob for sure.

http://youtu.be/LRvcobW-LN4

What a shame about Aquino. :(

Shaneus

I hope pro Rallying never gets so corporate that there's no longer any room for the no fucks given guys. God bless Loeb, but I want to see the nutters.
Yeah, Loeb is the Vettel of WRC. Except, you know. Likeable.

Sad to hear about that biker as well... and so early on in the year :(

Shaneus

Holy shit, SBS is the main broadcaster here? That's nothing short of revolutionary. FYI, that's not one of the main commercial stations here... normally it's gone to either 7 or 10, but never SBS.

Fan-fucking-tastic.

dubc35

Yeah, the improved prod was pretty good. I had it on in the background while doing some dishes (yeah!). Bring on Radicals!

local yellow out for a kangaroo!

Nice, watching now, but wait...wtf I'm I watching? Do they split the classes or something? I'd understand completely if that's how they do it. All the comments are about sims :)

dubc35

Nice, watching now, but wait...wtf I'm I watching? Do they split the classes or something? I'd understand completely if that's how they do it. All the comments are about sims :)

I think this is still qualy. I thought it was the race but I guess that's tomorrow.

dubc35

Dat GT-R, looks like its on rails. This class is awesome!

e* Mika Salo is racing?!

e2
Woo! John Bowe!

Edit: Holy shit, 3400 people currently watching that stream. That seems impressive.

5,255 now, other series take note, this is how you broadcast to a worldwide audience

dubc35

Yeah, sorry it is/was qualy now. The actual race starts in ~15 hours.

e*, damn, what is this? a like 50 car grid!

friday

Well, this year has got off to a sad start.

Tommy Aquino, former AMA, and current British Superbike rider passed away on Sunday after a motorcross crash in California. The kid was extremely likeable, had impressed many over here in the UK in his Superstock rides in 2013 and was going to run in the Superbike class this year. So sad :(

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news...my-aquino-killed-in-crash-at-motocross-track/

Man, a motocross crash? That must have been a really bad crash. Sucks to hear.

Yeah, sorry it is/was qualy now. The actual race starts in ~15 hours.

e*, damn, what is this? a like 50 car grid!

What would be a US Eastern start time?

Shaneus

5,255 now, other series take note, this is how you broadcast to a worldwide audience
WEC is in the same boat. It's not like it's remotely hard to broadcast to a worldwide audience.

Step 1: Stream race online from official website.

dubc35

What would be a US Eastern start time?
about 2pm

WEC is in the same boat. It's not like it's remotely hard to broadcast to a worldwide audience.

Step 1: Stream race online from official website.
Seriously, it's not that hard. I'm surprised the WRC doesn't do it. I've only been able to watch live rally coverage a couple times and it's soooo much better than the 30 min highlight shows.

nny

Latvala wins Rally Sweden; not surprising after Ogier's mistake yesterday. VW domination continues.

I'm glad to see WRC is putting an effort on improving their website; plenty of videos available.

edit: some onboard goodness.

Top Bottom