• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreleased SNES game Dorke and Ymp now available on Steam

Tizoc

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/474810/?snr=1_4_4__106

Dorke and Ymp is an unreleased Super Nintendo game developed back in the early 1990's by a Swedish company called Norse. The game was developed with unlicensed tools made by the game programmers. Unfortunately the game failed to acquire a publisher and was never released.

Luckily we found the original programmer, composer, and artist and we acquired the source code at about 50% of the game. We worked on the game for over a year to finally complete it.

This are the new features and updates done to the game:

•Over 100 Bugs and Crashing bugs fixed!
•Added a whole new world and levels (Volcano)
•Added Menu, cut-scenes and ending.
•Implemented password system
•Designed, developed and implemented boss fights (4) according to the original game story.
•Organized the game to be able to play with continuity.

This game is a puzzle adventure platformer in which you got to help Dorke (and Ymp) to make some errands for your evil Master Wizard in exchange of him training you and teaching you his magic spells.
Wow it's pretty great to see such games get official releases like this.
Will likely grab it later today and try it out.

Stencil

Pretty cool that this kind of thing gets to see the light of day after so long. I'm getting some faint Zool vibes but it might just be the design/proportions of the main character.

Draft

Looks notably worse than a lot of recent indie platformers. If it were being released as a freeware historical oddity, OK. $5? Ehhh. I like his pull up animation, though.

Looks notably worse than a lot of recent indie platformers. If it were being released as a freeware historical oddity, OK. $5? Ehhh. I like his pull up animation, though.

At this point I think it's more interesting as a curio - like you say - and $5 isn't a huge amount to part with for such a thing.

Roarer

Oh wow, I remember seeing a preview/developer interview for this game in Swedish gaming mag Super Power back in the day. Thought it looked great back then. Might check it out.

Edit: I remember them talking about how they wanted to put some Norse mythology stuff in there, but opted out of it because of Nintendo's stance on religious themes. Also, I think it was called something else back then?

Psxphile

Well, the main character is visually unappealing and that "boxart" is reminiscent of every 16-bit side-scroller knock-off on the shelf that failed to garner any interest from me back in the day, but I find it admirable that they would go back and restore (or perhaps "reclaim" is a better word for it) an unreleased title from the past and give it new life on Steam. Sure, I don't mind throwing them a few bucks just for that.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Awesomme news, I remember the article about this game back in 94. Was presented as the first Snes-game developed in Sweden. Been meaning to pick up the Snes-version forever, as the game looks pretty good!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Oh wow, I remember seeing a preview/developer interview for this game in Swedish gaming mag Super Power back in the day. Thought it looked great back then. Might check it out.

Edit: I remember them talking about how they wanted to put some Norse mythology stuff in there, but opted out of it because of Nintendo's stance on religious themes. Also, I think it was called something else back then?

It was called the same. Nintendos policy was only greek gods were allowed for some reason.

To bad other big names publishers don't do thus with their own unreleased games. *coughnintendowithstarfox2cough*

It's available fully translated and bug free if you want to play it.

I don't see anything unethical about acquiring a game that was never actually available for sale via whatever means necessary. Just make sure to buy a copy if it ever does come out officially.

Tizoc

It's available fully translated and bug free if you want to play it.

I don't see anything unethical about acquiring a game that was never actually available for sale via whatever means necessary. Just make sure to buy a copy if it ever does come out officially.

You put too much faith in people's conscience :p
However I recommend being careful with such talk as it could lead to piracy discussion which mods discourage against.

-shadow-

The idea alone is rather mind boggling. But really interesting to see it see the light of day after all those years anyway.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Very very neat but, man, the scrolling and how it works with character movement really bugged me in that video.

Never gonna happen but I think it'd be pretty rad if someone could take the remnants of Project Dream and release it as a finished game.

It'd be like a neat relic of an alternate universe where Rare didn't turn it into Banjo-Kazooie and just kept developing their original idea on the SNES.

Noogy

Wow that is neat. That game has a serious pulling-up-on-ledge animation!

And here I thought I was novel in having a sidekick character do all of the projectile combat. They beat me by nearly 20 years.

Pretty cool, and I don't think $5 is too bad for a curiosity, but then again, that depends on if you think I'm an idiot for buying Super 3D Noah's Ark last year on steam for the same reason.

MooMilk2929

This is the same publisher that's releasing Custodian for the atari Jaguar. I ididn't know they released bubsy on steam. I hope they make a new bubsy game then.

Top Bottom