• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

Game finally crashed for me. Happened the moment I decide not to save for a little while, too. Didn't lose too much, though. Hoping this isn't something that gets worse as you get farther along.

NeoRaider

Based on few screenshots posted here, technically it looks almost like open-world Enslaved Odyssey to The West on PC. Maybe it looks better in motion idk. will find out soon i guess. But to be completely honest this game should run well on a toaster.

1060/1070 users not being able to have stable 60fps sounds shocking to me.

jacobeid

Banned
I'm using an XB1 controller (wired) and the game continues to randomly stop accepting inputs from the controller so I have to unplug/replug it back in. Anyone else having that problem?

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member
Based on few screenshots posted here, technically it looks almost like open-world Enslaved Odyssey to The West on PC. Maybe it looks better in motion idk. will find out soon i guess. But to be completely honest this game should run well on a toaster.

1060/1070 users not being able to have stable 60fps sounds shocking to me.

You can, it just takes some...massaging.

I'm using an XB1 controller (wired) and the game continues to randomly stop accepting inputs from the controller so I have to unplug/replug it back in. Anyone else having that problem?

I'm using an XBO Elite wired with no trouble. Check the obvious like the cable?

leng jai

Still unsure as to whether I should open my retail copy, reports are all over the place. Bit ridiculous that I'm not confident I'll get satisfactory on my 6600k/1070.

iHaunter

This is really irritating.

I can't get it to full screen without being 900P...

And I can't get my DS4 controller to work with the game through steam...

DS4 is on via Bluetooth, but doesn't work...Tired of these garbage ports.

Edit: I installed DS Windows, tried every option, nothing works!

jacobeid

Banned
Can't say I'm having that issue. Driver reinstall perhaps?

I'm using an XBO Elite wired with no trouble. Check the obvious like the cable?

I'll try both and report back. I also have the wireless dongle, but right now my rechargeable batteries on the charger. Admittedly I haven't used my PC for gaming in about two months since I played through Doom so it's very possible it has nothing to do with the game if nobody else is reporting it.

Have you tried using SCPToolkit? Your DS3 or DS4 controller basically emulates a 360/One controller, once you install it and pair your controller it's basically plug and play.

You should have no problems with playing games that use Xinput. I'm not sure if the Touchpad will function though as I haven't used the software on my DS4 controllers yet, and your bluetooth will only work for this software until you disable it IIRC.

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member
I am not sure i understand what you mean with "some massaging."

For me in particular on my 1080:

- Performance was 60 most of the time with stuttering and microdrops
- Had to use Borderless Fullscreen for proper 2560x1440 (I'm sure this one will be fixed it pretty short order honestly since true fullscreen is busted for a good chunk of people).
- For whatever reason, setting a framerate limit of 60 via RTSS for the most part solved the micro stuttering.
- Disabling AA and AO in game helped the pop-in. The LoD is still pretty close, but the it fades properly with those two options disabled.
- Added AA back in via Reshade

Not everyone is the same, some people had it work great out of the box, but I had to do a little tinkering to get a nice even 60. It doesn't seem to be a power issue (I've got plenty of GPU overhead), it's probably more engine overhead doing things like drawing in new geometry.

Momentary

Banned
Thweis game is fully playable on current entry level enthusiast hardware. Once you start trying to run this game at 1440p and 4K you will need horse power. Not even a Ti/Titan can hold a stable 4K/60 FPS maxed out.

Settings in this game that I feel are useless are The AO and MSAA. The minimal visual improvement they offer is not worth the performance impact. Plus, the AO in the game is horrendous in the places it does show up.

Other than this and the full screen issue, the game will run just fine for most people. All my laptops can play the game fine at as well as my desktop.

The thing that is disappointing most people here is that they didn't expect a game thats not pushing ANY graphical boundaries to be more demanding than a game like Witcher 3.

It goes to show how badly the gaming industry needs people who are knowledgeable about how to optimize engines.

NeoRaider

For me in particular on my 1080:

- Performance was 60 most of the time with stuttering and microdrops
- Had to use Borderless Fullscreen for proper 2560x1440 (I'm sure this one will be fixed it pretty short order honestly since true fullscreen is busted for a good chunk of people).
- For whatever reason, setting a framerate limit of 60 via RTSS for the most part solved the micro stuttering.
- Disabling AA and AO in game helped the pop-in. The LoD is still pretty close, but the it fades properly with those two options disabled.
- Added AA back in via Reshade

Not everyone is the same, some people had it work great out of the box, but I had to do a little tinkering to get a nice even 60. It doesn't seem to be a power issue (I've got plenty of GPU overhead), it's probably more engine overhead doing things like drawing in new geometry.

Sounds like a crappy and unfinished port to me.

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member

Edit: I installed DS Windows, tried every option, nothing works!

As far as the 900p is concerned, run the game windowed and use Borderless Gaming to get rid of the border. That resolves it for most people.

It's actually pretty solid, all things considered. Most of the problems seem like easy fixes and none of them actually get in the way of playing the game.

Other than the people who have crashes, but that doesn't seem to be all that common an issue.

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member

Crappy and Unfinished is a bit much, as it does run equivalent to a PS4Pro in quality on fair hardware. I would say it's adequate in getting the console experience on PC for the most part.

It's pushing it up to 1440p and beyond that needs some more juice than once would expect.

iHaunter

Have you tried using SCPToolkit? Your DS3 or DS4 controller basically emulates a 360/One controller, once you install it and pair your controller it's basically plug and play.

You should have no problems with playing games that use Xinput. I'm not sure if the Touchpad will function though as I haven't used the software on my DS4 controllers yet, and your bluetooth will only work for this software until you disable it IIRC.

Doesn't work.

Installing it now makes my DS4 completely unrecognizable...Why did they make this so damn difficult.

It's actually pretty solid, all things considered. Most of the problems seem like easy fixes and none of them actually get in the way of playing the game.

Other than the people who have crashes, but that doesn't seem to be all that common an issue.

This is definitely NOT a good port...

Constant FPS/Controller/Resolution issues. Myself included, it's ridiculously irritating.

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member
Doesn't work.

Installing it now makes my DS4 completely unrecognizable...Why did they make this so damn difficult.

Constant FPS/Controller/Resolution issues. Myself included, it's ridiculously irritating.

If you're using DS4Windows, have you tried hiding the DS4 checkbox? iirc that solved controller issues for some people.

I also remember hearing that using the DS4 native through Big Picture mode got it going for people without any additional software.

Doesn't work.

DS4windows is a pretty great one, never had any problems with it, and I always use it for games that don't have native ds4 support.

iHaunter

If you're using DS4Windows, have you tried hiding the DS4 checkbox? iirc that solved controller issues for some people.

I also remember hearing that using the DS4 native through Big Picture mode got it going for people without any additional software.

I did, no dice.

I also tried Steam's alleged "Native" DS4 support, no luck either.

Carlius

Banned

lmao what? the game is PERFECTLY playable form start to finish. you know whats a crappy port? akrham knight, saints row 2. not nier, sorry. some issues here and there doesnt make it a bad port. people oging in expecting a next gen game to work on 2gb vram cards are just insane.

DSix

Banned
Finally had some time to sit down and start up the game... and what the hell?! The game seems to be stuck at 1600x900 in fullscreen. How can this be?

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member
lmao what? the game is PERFECTLY playable form start to finish. you know whats a crappy port? akrham knight, saints row 2. not nier, sorry. some issues here and there doesnt make it a bad port. people oging in expecting a next gen game to work on 2gb vram cards are just insane.

Add vanilla Dark Souls to that list. My God is that a bad port. Thank you based Durante

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member
Finally had some time to sit down and start up the game... and what the hell?! The game seems to be stuck at 1600x900 in fullscreen. How can this be?

Common bug currently. Run Windowed and use Borderless Gaming or some other program to fullscreen it is the current workaround.

J4g3r

I'm on a 1070. 1440p maxed at 60fps with a few drops at 2x MSAA or 4x with some more frequent drops.

This is my experience so far with:

i7 6700k @ 4.0
GTX 980ti
16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM

~7 hours play time.

The whole pre-rendered cutscene stuttering problem is so weird for me though, I've had a few that have ran just fine. The ones that have stuttered on me though haven't affected my FPS counter at all.

Add vanilla Dark Souls to that list. My God is that a bad port. Thank you based Durante

I don't think even Durante wouldn't call DS 1 a bad port.. it was a straight/barebones port. it was exactly like the console version. It just didn't add anything specific for the PC aside from a questionable attempt at keyboard and mouse controls. DSFix is obviously what elevated DS 1 to another level on PC after its release.

To Namco/From's credit, they learned from this experience and Dark Souls II was much better in a technical sense than the original and offered an improved experience over consoles from day 1.

Honestly the only Japanese developers I'm aware of that actually haven't improved their PC versions as time goes on are Koei Tecmo and IdeaFactory International

I've yet to run into any controller issues in my 7 or so hours playing the game with a DS4, and my FPS drops have been infrequent and never down to less than 50 FPS, So I can't really relate.

Resolution has an extremely easy work around until it's fixed, not even three steps.

I wouldn't call it a great port, but I'll reuse my previous description, solid.

Jintor

Anyone else experiencing dead zone issues with the sticks when using a 360 controller? It feels like there isn't one, or if there is it's really small

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Issues aside, nice to see it runs well on the FX6300 and that my 280X won't have too much trouble with the game. Never thought the 6300 would outlive my 280X, but here we are, with the latter bottlenecking the first left and right

Doesn't work.

Yea I saw a guy stream it and he had to unplug his controller after every scene transition, it was quite something lol.

Durante

No. It's a very good port.
(With a trivially worked around issue with fullscreen resolutions on some systems which will hopefully be patched).

What it also is, on all platforms, is a "B" budget open world game technically. But that's not a port issue, and not really an issue at all for me personally.

Espada

Man, there are some strange framerate drops on this @1440p on a GTX 1070.

In the camp I can stand in one spot and get 57 fps, take two steps and it's baclk up to 60fps, walk into the 2D area and it dips to 55. This is in borderless fullscreen mode, vsync off, framerate limit set at 60 fps in Rivatuner.

No matter what I do it doesn't look for feel smooth. Should I just set everything to low/off?

Ghazi

No. It's a very good port.
(With a trivially worked around issue with fullscreen resolutions on some systems which will hopefully be patched).

What it also is, on all platforms, is a "B" budget open world game technically. But that's not a port issue, and not really an issue at all for me personally.

What do you think about the pop in issues? Genuine question, because at this point I think that's the PC version's biggest problem with the cutscene stuttering behind it. The game looks quite a bit worse than its console counterpart because of it.

Moaradin

Yeah, I've been playing a lot and had no issues so far. Almost done with my first playthrough and it has been smooth as hell. Beat the game on PS4, and that had a ton of hitching and frame drops during hectic moments. So far this has been locked 60 for me with no hitching at all, and load times are naturally faster as well. The online stuff seems to be working flawlessly. See a lot of bodies everywhere and haven't had any disconnects. My cutscenes seem to be completely fine as well. Haven't seen any dropped frames.

Only issue on my end is the fullscreen thing, but that is a pretty easy workaround.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What do you think about the pop in issues? Genuine question, because at this point I think that's the PC version's biggest problem with the cutscene stuttering behind it. The game looks quite a bit worse than its console counterpart because of it.

i think it just needs an option for fade in instead of pop in. on base PS4 the pop in not jarring cause the objects fade into their LODs instead of pop

Carlius

Banned
Yeah, I've been playing a lot and had no issues so far. Almost done with my first playthrough and it has been smooth as hell. Beat the game on PS4, and that had a ton of hitching and frame drops during hectic moments. So far this has been locked 60 for me with no hitching at all, and load times are naturally faster as well. The online stuff seems to be working flawlessly. See a lot of bodies everywhere and haven't had any disconnects. My cutscenes seem to be completely fine as well. Haven't seen any dropped frames.

Only issue on my end is the fullscreen thing, but that is a pretty easy workaround.

yup, this is my experience as well. cutscenes do go at 30, maybe sometimes hit 28 fps but nothing unwatchable. great port if you ask me. plus reshade makes it better.

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member
Do you have vsync on or off?

On, but borderless windowed so I have no idea if the setting is doing anything.

yup, this is my experience as well. cutscenes do go at 30, maybe sometimes hit 28 fps but nothing unwatchable. great port if you ask me. plus reshade makes it better.

I don't know about "Great" but I would call it "OK". Even "Good" once they resolve a couple bugs. "Great" if they increase the LoD distance/quality for people with lots of VRAM.

Carl7

I5- 3570k and gtx 970.

Running on high no AA. Being able to keep 60 fps with just a few drops like when transitioning to an area with lots of shadows like this one:

EpuYFfj.jpg

Top Bottom