• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That PS4 ambient menu music is pretty annoying right?

sugarless

I use the PS 20th anniversary theme and quite like the music. I know how to turn the music off but have found that when I do, the UI interaction sounds on most themes are too loud and intrusive against silence. I don't want to turn both off as it's useful to have confirmation the audio system is on properly and such.

I really love the Switch's subtle clicks, pops and bings, and would love a PS4 theme that reduced the UI sounds to about that level.

Niosai

I bought the Persona 5 Protagonist theme with extra credit I had awhile back. Best decision ever. I'll never get tired of that music.
i need this. i don't know if i have it...lol does it come with the game? i don't usually use themes but i'd put this on.
There's a few different ones, and I think they all have different music. The protagonist one definitely uses this song, though.

Tareskog

To check out every single system setting is one of the first things I do with any technological device I buy. I can´t imagine how some people are unable to find even the simplest settings like turning the music off. It´s annoying as hell. The Firewatch theme at least had some chill music, but even that got turned off after a little while.

Stillmatic

Turned it off launch day, can't even remember what it sounds like.

Any device that has ambient music I always turn off, as well the clicking sound when scrolling/selecting things.

Turned it off the first week the system was out.

I only turn on system music when I (rarely) have a dynamic theme that has good music.

Fbh

I don't mind it. Also like the one from the Neogaf theme and the PS 20th anniversary

I hate how most game themes pick bad menu songs though. Like I love the main theme from journey but it's not something I want to hear every time I'm in my console main screen. I like the main menu theme from Dark Souls 3 but, again, not something I want to hear every time I turn on the console. Both of those games have slower, more ambient like songs that would fit well with a menu. But nope, got to use the main theme !

Dashboard > Settings > Sound and Screen > Turn off System Music

I'd call that buried enough.

Well, the fact that some people don't know that such option exists proves that it's buried enough.

It takes some effort to even reach the settings screen in the first place as it's in the top right corner of the menu.

You listed 4 steps. 2 of which are basically "be on the main menu and go to settings" ...which is like the most basic of actions on any modern device.
Thats hardly "buried"

It wears out its welcome if you leave it on. I would be so happy if PS4 allowed you to set your own background music, even if it was just mixing themes.

Steel

Banned
Only menu music I didn't hate after a short while was the PS2 theme. Like, if the ps4 had that I'd just leave it on.

Piers

It brings the same annoyance as people who leave DVD menus running. Even heard it over the background of a phone chat with my sister once and it bugged me.

Melchiah

Sometimes I just leave my PS4 on the menu screen I almost always get annoyed by the ambient menu music that is there. It seems like a really bizarre decision to of included such a thing in the first place. To my recollection, the Xbox 360 did not have it and I presume that the Xbox One also lacks any such thing.

Anyone else find it annoying?

Nah. I've had it on for most of the time since the launch, and I find it soothing. I never stick with other themes for long. Their music and icon sounds start to bother me after a while, and most of them make the UI look too busy. The Hunter's Dream theme of Bloodborne wasn't that bad though, excluding the icons. I wish I could pick what parts of the themes I wanted to use.

I still use the original theme on the PS3 as well.

As someone who's spending quite some time in the PS4 home screen while chatting in a party, I've been cycling through a lot of themes to find the least annoying one.
I really hate silence and I need some background/ambient sounds and found the Witcher 3 Gwent theme (I think it's free) to be a good pick. The guitar loop never gets annoying and avoids dissonant or otherwise uncomfortable pitched notes. I found it also to be rather forgettable, in a good sense(!), since the melody doesn't get stuck in your head. At least it's like that for me.

TheOasis

When I first got my PS4, the fact that it had ambient menu music was neither here nor there. However, it started to irritate me more and more over time to the point where I simply had enough, so I went into the setting to see if I could turn it off and I did. It has remained turned off since then and I haven't thought about it until I saw this thread today.

On the other hand, I have no problems with the sound effects that you get when you scroll around on the menu. I find them to provide a satisfying kind of audio feedback.

jacobeid

Banned
I can't believe I didn't know you could turn this off. I feel like such an idiot lmao. Going to change that setting first thing tonight after work...

I have my persona 5 themes though which I sing along to when I leave my ps4 on.

My roommate does the same thing, but we sing it even when the PS4 isn't on haha

Seijuro

Shame, neither the P5 protagonists theme nor the "normal" Persona 5 theme seem to be available on EU PSN. Seems to be all other character themes + Igor are available though.

DavidDesu

God I would love, LOVE, to have actual ambient sound like the PS2’s “crashing waves and whirling noises” one. In fact just give me the PS2 background noises as is.

The music on the PS4 is kinda depressing, could at least have been something less melancholy. Should have a variety of themes and be able to choose them separately from the visual themes.

Dezzy

I like having the ambient music, but I wish there was more than just one to choose from without having to change the entire theme.

camac002

Well, the fact that some people don't know that such option exists proves that it's buried enough.

It takes some effort to even reach the settings screen in the first place as it's in the top right corner of the menu.

lol. This is my new favourite piece of mental gymnastics on this board.

I turn that off in every system.

Even the Wii?

That shop channel music went HARD.

9c411f4585ec419a532383bb96b1a859.jpg

stryke

What do you fucking expect?

Dashboard > Turn off System Music?

LordPhantX

Neo Member
The standard little annoying but some themes has good music. I'm using now Ys VIII theme also I liked Resident Evil 7 theme.

daegan

I like system music and am glad it's there. It gives even a momentary turning on and sitting down a little bit of personality - and if you don't, there are options and even if there weren't there's a mute button.

I kinda like it. I do alternate between different themes however so it's not that I'm always listening to the same music every time I turn on my ps4. Anything will start to drone if you listen to it that much.

Top Bottom