• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC Full Campaign Preview (H2A runs at 1328 x 1080 native)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Typical NeoGAF. Yall are too busy talking about resolution to note that there's now Hornets in H2A multiplayer!

Hornets in Blood Gulch. This game is going to be so great.
At least Jem gets it.

Can anyone explain why the "instant switch" impacts resolution?

surely the code says:

if (engine == Engine.Old)
{
oldEngine.DrawScene();
}
else
{
newEngine.DrawScene();
}

There's no need to render both in a single frame?!

The old one has to run at the same time to ensure instant switching. Initialising the old one and loading the older assets into memory takes time, so it's done as soon as the level starts instead of fading to black and loading like CE:A.

Bgamer90

Banned
Honestly can't say that I will be switching much. I'll do it a few times just to see how fast it is but after that I'll be playing with the updated look.

Obviously would have preferred 1080p for H2A Campign but I'm still pumped for the collection either way.

iMax

Someone said above, it seems that because the original engine runs at 1920x1080 and the new one runs at 1328x1080, it's easier to switch from a ****x1080 to a ****x1080 res than a ****x900 to ****x1080.

The old engine runs it at 1080p simultaneously with the new engine at 1328x1080 and the versions can be changed on the fly. I'm guessing the switch from one to the other looks better at the new resolution.

I see, yeah that makes sense. Considering Halo 2 ran at 480p/30, I'm honestly happy with anything. I just want to play the game.

Izayoi

Banned
OH NO, ONE GAME OUT OF FOUR (six if you count the remake engines) IS NOT QUITE 1080P, BETTER KILL MYSELF

Typical NeoGAF. Yall are too busy talking about resolution to note that there's now Hornets in H2A multiplayer!
The broken Sandtrap Hornets or the shitty Avalanche ones?

Noobcraft

It will be interesting to see how they implement that weird resolution without messing up the IQ. Is it possible they're doing a Killzone Shadowfall Multiplayer - Magic Interlacing™ technique with it at that resolution?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
...and new music!

gotcha

Here's what H2A is running simultaneously: Two game (graphics) engines - the OG H2 and H2A, and the original audio (music and FX) and completely new music and FX. And the switch is instantaneous. If it weren't running the OG engine it could in theory run at a higher resolution but that's not the intended nature of the project. It's designed to be a remake that lets you switch between the two instantaneously. Now you can feel one way or another about that, but that is indeed the intent.

Since this thread is about the resolution, these are all fine conversations to have, but iI hope the community thread is talking about the content, not the pixels.

Ridley327

Is there a reason they opted for that odd resolution and not 900p?

I imagine that with how much they've been touting 1080p60 as one of the big features of the entire collection, compromising the vertical resolution on just one of the games would have been very counterproductive. This is basically the best outcome they could have gone with the setup they have for H2A. It's possible they could have hit the full 1920x1080 if they didn't have two engines running at the same time, but they felt that was a more important feature to keep.

EDIT: And Frankie beats me to it.

The old one has to run at the same time to ensure instant switching. Initialising the old one and loading the older assets into memory takes time, so it's done as soon as the level starts instead of fading to black and loading like CE:A.

Ahh right - so otherwise it would be the worst texture pop-in in gaming history? Makes sense.

I'd still quite like an option to go disable swapping in favour of a full 1080p - this isn't KillZone after all
;-)

Halo 4 looked fantastic and we got to see some of Bloodlines (Coagulation). Hornets are back, should be a great deal of fun in Big Team Battle.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Here's what H2A is running simultaneously: Two game (graphics) engines - the OG H2 and H2A, and the original audio (music and FX) and completely new music and FX. And the switch is instantaneous. If it weren't running the OG engine it could in theory run at a higher resolution but that's not the intended nature of the project. It's designed to be a remake that lets you switch between the two instantaneously. Now you can feel one way or another about that, but that is indeed the intent.

Since this thread is about the resolution, these are all fine conversations to have, but iI hope the community thread is talking about the content, not the pixels.

How do you like that new resolution compared to 900p? Any plusses or minuses when comparing the two?

Watch the video.

Hornets in Blood Gulch. This game is going to be so great.

Just saw it, makes me OK with hiding the scorpion tank behind forge.

Bringing two of my favorite Halo 3 toys (hornet + assault rifle) into H2A is much more than I could have hoped for. November is so far away...

RdN

I'd prefer to have a slight delay between changing engines or not even dual engines if it meant higher resolution.

Everything they showed from Halo 2 Anniversary campaing so far has been underwhelming for me. I know it was a work in progress, but the graphics looked really rough and I'd be surprised if there was a significant update.

Anyway, I'm buying the MCC mostly for the multi-player, and that's looking pretty good.

Ahh right - so otherwise it would be the worst texture pop-in in gaming history? Makes sense.

Not the worst pop in, it just means the game would have to fade to black like CE:A for like 10 seconds to switch. Because that breaks the gameplay flow (and can hinder gun battles), I assume the devs preferred to compromise res to allow the feature they wanted to work instantly.

There is something a little silly about the fact that this is purely the result of allowing people to switch back and forth between the old graphics and the new. Something most people will do once or twice in the first hour and then never again.

Hollow

That's certainly an interesting resolution. Kinda disappointing they couldn't get native 1080p but I'm still hyped as hell that Halo 2 is back.

Never my intention to make this thread about the resolution (it was one point in my post and the other being about the campaign preview, sorry about that). It was something people were interested in and seemed to be a big point at bottom of the article. It's fine as it is, in my mind the game is already digitally preordered.

I'm fine with the new developed for XB1 content being not native 1080p as long as the old remasters are native. Having never played any Halo 2 I also prefer having the instantaneous switch to see what that looked like.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
How do you like that new resolution compared to 900p? Any plusses or minuses when comparing the two?

Personal opinion?

a. It looks much better than prior showings now for obvious reasons of dev progress.
b. Yeah, I think the scaling of this res looks better. Great in fact. There's a crystal-like sharpness in-game.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I believe they've always been very clear that H2A single player resolution wasn't set in stone.

From the day it's been announced, to be exact.

We have been told that it wasn't 1080p and was the only thing in the collection that may not hit the desired resolution.

Considering all the campaigns and multiplayer components, it's a small portion of the game.

Trey

The instant switch is a trade show feature. No one will be switching after the first hour of their play session. If it is possible to get full 1080p by ditching the instant switch they should. It is an obvious choice.

I switched all the time in Halo: CEA. It was a nice feature then - now it's instantaneous.

I like all the work they did to achieve this feat and best of all it's still 60fps.

Banned
tumblr_n9nq04X0GP1rs8ihso1_1406945381_cover.jpg

Goddammit 343, you had one job. Make it 1080p60 like you said. Or at least keep it a native 16:9 resolution and don't slice some horizontal lines.

Izayoi

Banned
There is something a little silly about the fact that this is purely the result of allowing people to switch back and forth between the old graphics and the new. Something most people will do once or twice in the first hour and then never again.
I still switch back and forth on a regular basis when I play HCEA.

HCEA is way too bright in some spots, so I just switch back to HCE when that happens. Instant switching in the new version is going to be AWESOME.

rjc571

Banned
What a stupid excuse for not running at full 1080p. If you can't hit your target because you're running two engines simultaneously, then DON'T RUN TWO ENGINES SIMULTANEOUSLY! Is there even a single person who needs the ability to switch graphics on the fly so badly that they would sacrifice image quality for it??? I don't even see the point of including the old graphics in the first place, but if you did want to use them for whatever reason, you could have the game pause to load the new engine. This would be infinitely preferable to reducing the framebuffer and horizontally scaling the game, leading to increased jaggies and artifacts.

xemumanic

I wish they would have given us the option to NOT run the Xbox version of Halo 2 in the background to allow Halo 2 MCC edition to run at 1080p...

Just my $0.02...

Yes. This is what I think too.
If I had an option to disable the back and forth engine switching to get full 1080p, I'd use it.

Ridley327

From the day it's been announced, to be exact.

We have been told that it wasn't 1080p and was the only thing in the collection that may not hit the desired resolution.

Considering all the campaigns and multiplayer components, it's a small portion of the game.

Yeah, having one game in a collection that's effectively seven games in one not hitting 1920x1080 doesn't seem like the most convincing argument that the whole thing longer deserves to wave the 1080p60 banner, especially when it is maintaining the vertical resolution just fine.

I've been jazzed as all hell for this release. I'm so excited about playing Halo 3 again with that gorgeous IQ. H2A's campaign resolution's a little disappointing, but not enough to break my heart. That's not a game I plan on running through more than a few times.

Halo 3 though? Hnnngh. Can't wait.

Guys all MP is Native 1080p60fps
And really, that's what's most important.

Ragnarok

The switching engines feature seems utterly worthless. Just put both games on the disk. Who the hell would ever be switching back and forth during gameplay? Wheres the logic to that?

Hubble

I may be in the minority but I rather have 30 FPS and 1080p in Halo than 60 FPS.

Keep the Bungie 30 FPS tradition with a better resolution seems a better tribute to a remake.

Top Bottom