• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls PC trailer [Matchmaking, new bosses, enemies, NPCs, weapons, armor, areas]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit... what the fuck?

This is fucking bullshit. Maybe I won't buy this after all. They're going to lock the resolution and framerate? Huh?

Everything I've seen and heard about this game post-Captivate is pointing towards a bare-bones port with no graphical options whatsoever. I really can't believe it.

There's no way I'm buying this for PC if the content ends up on consoles. No way.

EasyMode

This is fucking bullshit. Maybe I won't buy this after all. They're going to lock the resolution and framerate? Huh?

I was afraid that was going to be the translation. The resolution part is especially backwards, like they're going out of their way to make it a bad port. Even from the horses mouth, I'm having a hard time believing it.

Adnor

Banned
Holy shit... what the fuck?

Well, I will wait until it's $10, even if they change GFWL and this, they don't seem to care about the PC market, why would I care about them? I already have a big enough backlog, and some very good games are coming this year, so I can wait.

Emitan

Locked resolution will be patched out. Locked framerate will be patched out as well judging from how the console versions are programmed. Just relax, the PC scene has got our backs.

Sentenza

No, seriously, it doesn't make sense.
A PC version without improved resolution and better framerate?
You can't even call it a "lazy port". It's beyond that, it's a version with artificially imposed restraints. A deliberately handicapped port.

krakov

Every time I read someone say something like this I just can't help but to think they are just trying to stealth brag about how much of a gaming badass they are.

There is nothing "easy" about the Souls games, and they are all the better because of it.

Trust me, I don't care what anyone here thinks of my gaming skills. I abandoned my first Dark Souls character about 20 hours in since I didn't know how to proceed. Was stuck in an early area of the game with no upgraded gear, shitty stats, an aggressive blacksmith and got cursed trying to farm for absolution. When I started over with my newly gained knowledge, it wasn't hard at all and took me less than 5 hours to reach my previous spot.

Most of Demons/Dark Souls is pretty easy once you understand the basics. It's nowhere near the masochistic hell people make it out to be. And the bosses in DeS are especially easy for most part. A bit of disappointment since the levels are pretty challenging.

Deadbeat

Banned
I was afraid that was going to be the translation. The resolution part is especially backwards, like they're going out of their way to make it a bad port. Even from the horses mouth, I'm having a hard time believing it.
I wonder how quick they will be when this tanks on PC they will say PC gamers are pirates or dont buy games or dont care about the game or whatever excuse they can conjure up. Because they will be a-conjuring if any of this is true.

Are they really trying to dethrone saints row 2 on PC? Thats not something you want to do.

I wish there was some elaboration on that question in the interview...

I want to be hopeful and just interpret what he said as saying there won't be any resolution changes (to the textures), and the game won't be (forced into) 60fps...

Wouldn't they have to go out of their way to lock down the resolution and framerate?

I'm sure people will find a way to mod the game to support higher resolutions/framerates, but damn... this is just frustrating.

I don't think we quite have solid enough answers yet to be certain. A fixed 30 fps framerate would be incredibly disappointing and a fixed resolution would be bonkers. I just get the sense that they are so early in the port process that they aren't even sure about somethings. They are talking about the possibility of not including GFWL in some of the interviews, like it was something they just threw out there to see if it would stick.

Lucentto

Banned
Wow, really From? No resolution options? Fuck this, I only want to play this in 1080p and 60fps. Screw the new content, I just want to look at it!

Skilletor

It will most likely be available on steam, but that not the issue, the big problem here is that the game uses GFWL.

I don't have an issue with GFWL. I realize others do, but until I experience things like that first hand, I don't really care.

I do care about a port which apparently wants to ignore all of the benefits porting to PC offers. I won't buy a game that does that, since it is those reasons precisely that I bought my PC for.

Zimbardo

Locked resolution will be patched out. Locked framerate will be patched out as well judging from how the console versions are programmed. Just relax, the PC scene has got our backs.

i'm not gonna rely on community hacks to get some PC features into the game.

no longer day 1/pre order for me.

its a 75% off type sale now, if that's the case.

No, seriously, it doesn't make sense.
A PC version without improved resolution and better framerate?
You can't even call it a "lazy port". It's beyond that, it's a version with artificially imposed restraints. A deliberately handicapped port.

Yep. I really hope they don't suicide like this.

Better framerate and resolution are the bare minimum for a PC port. I can go without the rest if I have to, but you need those two things.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
if that is true, i wont be going near this port.

i can deal with GFWL ...what i can't deal with is half assed and fucked port jobs.

Diablo 3 will easily carry me through the summer ....most likely the rest of the year.

GFWL, 30fps, no effort whatsoever for graphical update or resolution, make the console version sound like a better pick right now, it look like Namco saying " don't buy this we will make it as horrible as possible "

honestly this port sound like a complete disaster already and an example on how a publisher take one request from the fans and shit all over it.

mxgt

Banned

This shouldn't have to be the case.

I refuse to support shitty ports, even if it is my favourite game this gen.

Durante

Wouldn't they have to go out of their way to lock down the resolution and framerate?
Yes. Which is why I still don't believe it. If it were true there's no way I would buy the game. It would probably be community fixed in days, but buying it would be sending the wrong signal.

But it won't happen, there must be a miscommunication here somewhere.
Well, a miscommunication or an asshat developer.

What's the difference? If it has unlocked framerate, it has it. If it has unlocked resolution it has it. Who cares who put it in?
I do.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think we quite have solid enough answers yet to be certain. A fixed 30 fps framerate would be incredibly disappointing and a fixed resolution would be bonkers. I just get the sense that they are so early in the port process that they aren't even sure about somethings. They are talking about the possibility of not including GFWL in some of the interviews, like it was something they just threw out there to see if it would stick.

He says in the interview that they are 70-80% done with the PC version. Almost all of the content has been implemented and they are entering the debug phase now.

Honestly, Miyazaki sounded kind of bitter/negative throughout the entire interview. He was downplaying the added elements, emphasizing that this port was decided and is being driven by Bandai-Namco, and even said that they are having troubles with the port due to the game not being designed with the PC in mind.

I got the impression he really isn't excited about a PC version for whatever reason. He also seemed mad that he couldn't comment about a Japanese release at this time.

That resolution/framerate stuff is just depressing if it turns out to be true. I was overjoyed at the announcement of the PC port... but man. It's like FROM is going out of their way to do a shitty job just to spite Bandai-Namco or something.

Zimbardo

What's the difference? If it has unlocked framerate, it has it. If it has unlocked resolution it has it. Who cares who put it in?

i already bought the game @ full price on PS3.

i'm not gonna pay another $50+ for a shit port job on the PC.

i would happily pay $60/pre order if they did a good PC version tho.

i'm just not gonna pay that much for a trashy, half hearted effort. that kind of effort doesn't deserve that kind of money.

Similar to the PC version of FFXI, the framerate is probably tied to the netcode. You could alter the framerate in FFXI, but then your character would be running twice as fast and you'd get banned for speedhacking.

Fucking stupid that something like that could happen in 2012, but it's likely the case. Resolution-wise, I see no reason why people couldn't alter the registry or create hacks for resolution bumps.

Vorg

Banned
I don't get it. People were begging for this game and now that it's coming they won't buy it because of GFWL, graphics options and whatever. If you guys don't buy it, they won't consider releasing it on pc the next time. As simple as that. The game is amazing regardless of GFWL or the inclusion of graphics options.

Im_Special

This game will surely have some sort of anti-cheating for it's online, whether it's GFWL or Steams VAC or other, I don't think people want the risk getting banned because they have to modify game files / their .exe to unlock resolutions or FPS.

EasyMode

I wonder how quick they will be when this tanks on PC they will say PC gamers are pirates or dont buy games or dont care about the game or whatever excuse they can conjure up. Because they will be a-conjuring if any of this is true.

Are they really trying to dethrone saints row 2 on PC? Thats not something you want to do.

If by some madness the locked resolution turns out to be true, this game goes from day 1 purchase to "I'll wait the PC community to fix it."

I've never bothered trying Saints Row 2 on the PC because of all the backlash, and I even own it on Steam. :lol

Durante

I don't get it. People were begging for this game and now that it's coming they won't buy it because of GFWL, graphics options and whatever. If you guys don't buy it, they won't consider releasing it on pc the next time. As simple as that. The game is amazing regardless of GFWL or the inclusion of graphics options.
I don't give a shit about GFWL or in-depth graphics options.

But letting people set the resolution the game renders at takes 5 minutes to implement, and if they don't want to spend that time I won't spend my money on their product. PC gamers have some standards.

Deadbeat

Banned
Yeah PC gamers should be grateful they are even getting a barely functioning version of the game.
Scamco doing what Scamco does.
What are some other blunders Namco has done? Im curious.

Gvaz

Banned
You ordered a sandwich but it's the equivalent of getting a sandwich that's falling apart and has shit on it.

Are you going to eat it anyways because they went through the trouble of "making" it? No fuck that.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

If they are going to release bullshit ports, then they may as well not bother. People wanted a PC version because the game is amazing, but looks muddy and runs like shit on the PS3. The biggest reason anyone requested a PC port is so that they could get it run smoothly while looking all pretty.

Most of us wanted it on PC because PC games tend to look and run better than console games. If they're going to make a PC version that runs at the exact same shitty resolution and framerate as the console version, there is a very small subset of people who would actually want to buy that; those that own gaming PCs but not gaming consoles.

It seems completely ass-backwards to me because they saw strong demand from PC gamers for a PC version of the game...but it's going to bomb and not get support from 90% of those who were demanding it because it's not actually a PC version of the game; just a straight port of the console version.

Vorg

Banned
Yeah PC gamers should be grateful they are even getting a barely functioning version of the game.

You ordered a sandwich but it's the equivalent of getting a sandwich that's falling apart and has shit on it.

Are you going to eat it anyways because they went through the trouble of "making" it? No fuck that.

Lol at the hyperbole. The game plays fine on consoles, you know.

mxgt

Banned

If they don't want to cater to the PC's strengths in their ports then it's no big loss. What kind of example does is set when a dev can just straight port a game with absolutely NO resolution and graphic options and people would eat it up?

If you're going to make a PC game you should include these things, no excuses.

If unplayable framerates in certain areas = fine, then sure.

Blight town for one, is absolute horrendous.

Sub-10fps in sections = not fine.

Hell, sub-30 isn't "fine" but you can stick with it.

It's a mess framerate wise on console and the fact it's such a great game is the only reason I can overlook it. On substantially more powerful hardware? Fuck that, it should be 60 at all times. Never dipping below 30 at a minimum.

Some people have such pathetically low standards.

Adnor

Banned

Yeah, maybe it's an amazing game, but if it does have those problems it doesn't worth it. At least, not to me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Honestly, I doubt that many of us who are chomping at the bit to play the PC version don't also own a copy of the game on consoles. We know how it plays. There's a reason we want it on the PC. If they're going to artificially cripple it... what's the point?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Thread-wide overreaction engaged.

I started down this road, too, but let's slow down a bit. How about we wait until we have some actual data about how this thing performs and what options it offers before we go crazy? You know, instead of depending on vague hints in translated interviews and extrapolating from there.

Zimbardo

the From Software and/or Namco guys need to clarify this shit ASAP, imo.

the game will be dead in the water when this news starts spreading around.

I started down this road, too, but let's slow down a bit. How about we wait until we have some actual data about how this thing performs and what options it offers before we go crazy? You know, instead of depending on vague hints in translated interviews and extrapolating from there.

I think this is where I'm at. Things do sound bad but there isn't much we can do now until we see the thing in action.

im sure there will be a way to adjust the resolution (is that even something they can lock?)
but really, is a locked 30fps that big of a deal? jesus christ. if you're computer has the horse power it should run at a steady 30fps the entire time
i dont know what you guys expected out of this. the fact that it took an online petition to get this to come out obviously means its being done on a shoestring budget

30 fps might be awesome when you are using a controller, but it is sluggish with a keyboard and mouse. That is one of the downsides to the crisp responsive control that you get with kbam, at low framerates it feels sluggish and janky. The way the character reacts in conjunction with the mouse feels like a yo-yo being swung. There is a delay between your movement and what the character does on the screen. The only game I can think of that got past that feeling was Crysis 1.

Optimally it takes a minimum of 35 fps for that feeling to go away. But really it doesn't go away until you get to about 40 fps.

Why the hell should we feel obligated to pay for a port that's not much better than the version many of us already own? I don't buy games to support the developer or increase the chances of a sequel being ported (or developed, or whatever), I buy games when I feel the value of the content being sold is equal to the cost the company is selling it at.

If the port is going to be this shoddy, I want no part of it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Sorry dude, it wasn't a vague hint.

Miyazaki, the producer, said that the "resolution will not be changed from the console versions" and "the framerate will not be 60." It was very clear.

Now, we can hope that he was wrong somehow, but when the producer of a game says something, it's not just a "vague hint".

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

People definitely shouldn't react and discuss the available information as it develops, yeah. We should just remain silent and hold hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom