• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•14-16•17 - Audiences go Ape, Sick of Spider-man and Wonder Woman (finally)?

... Homecoming has passed ASM2's complete domestic total in two weekends.

There's no "shit" to be had here.

Context, people.

The shit was not about total gross. It was more an exclamation at the realization of ASM2 having a slightly better hold after the first weekend. Something I didn't even think about.
Kind of like saying in a thread last month, "Shit. A superhero film having sub 40% weekend drops?!"

Bronx-Man

Banned
I dunno about Black Panther. I'm gonna see that motherfucker seven times in theaters, but I'm not sure the rest of Murica is gonna be able to "relate" to it like Wonder Woman.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Wait what?

No Spider-man film has done as well as The Avengers or The Dark Knight or am I reading this reply wrong.

Some people had completely unrealistic expectations of a billion dollar Spider-Man movie, which weren't based in any reality.

milanbaros

Member?
... Homecoming has passed ASM2's complete domestic total in two weekends.

There's no "shit" to be had here.

Context, people.

This is all about reestablishing spider-man almost like Batman Begins. Batman was the biggest superhero at the BO but its reputation was damaged.

The three primary goals for Sony must have been to wash out the bad taste of ASM2, tighten the budget and reverse the BO trajectory of the series.

They have done all 3.

D3luCAV.gif
You guys are right. The fuck was I thinking? lol

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I dunno about Black Panther. I'm gonna see that motherfucker seven times in theaters, but I'm not sure the rest of Murica is gonna be able to "relate" to it like Wonder Woman.

Agree. I feel like Dr. Strange domestic numbers would be huge for Panther, it sure as hell isn't hitting Wonder Woman numbers.

It's a guarantee that Wonder Woman is going to beat Spider-Man: Homecoming domestically.

Spider-Man might not get to within 75mil of Wonder Woman.
Well I'm astonished! After SMH's great opening (and bigger that WW's) I could've sworn it was dead set on beating WW what with his known popularity, Tony Stark's in it, etc.

Holy shit. And to think it took WB this fucking long to make a movie out of this iconic character. But noooo, make way for shitty Batman movies, Green Lanterns, Catwomen, and three different Supermen (not to mention that fucking unknowns like Ant Man and Guardians of the Galaxy got a chance before WW even).

ZeoVGM

Banned
The shit was not about total gross. It was more an exclamation at the realization of ASM2 having a slightly better hold after the first weekend. Something I didn't even think about.
Kind of like saying in a thread last month, "Shit. A superhero film having sub 40% weekend drops?!"

Right but even that comparison doesn't really matter.

ASM2 made $92m in its opening weekend, Homecoming made $117m. ASM2's second weekend competition was an R-rated comedy. Homecoming's was a PG-13 summer action film.

Realistically, we knew that Wonder Woman won last Friday. You didn't even have to wait for the official Friday estimate to come to that conclusion.
When did you know? Just because the Friday to Friday % was a steeper decline for SMH that's enough to know WW will outperform the entire run of Spider-Man even after SMH had a significantly higher OW?

I don't even think BP will leg the same as WW. That is probably gonna have a monster opening weekend. Its part of the MCU which is well received and the character already made a big splash in Civil War.

WW was an uncertainty with DC's track record and word had to get out in regards to the quality of the film. I don't think we see something similar with BP

Important thing about Wonder Woman isn't simply that it's the first (meaningful) superheroine film, but the themes and message resonate with what's going on in the country. Reading other threads, you see some implying that Wonder Woman is only successful because it's a female superhero movie, which to ignore the ugliness of those remarks, wouldn't have taken it this far. By coincidence Wonder Woman came at the right time.

So it'll be interesting to see if Black Panther can capture that aspect of playing to our times. I'm loving everything I hear about the story, and I can imagine it being relevant depending on how things go down in the next couple months. It's wait and see.

I agree with this. I think it will also have a relativey weak international performance akin to Wonder Woman.

y2dvd

I really do blame the ASM reboots for a slight Spiderman fatigue. I've have several friends express how there is already another Spiderman reboot and isn't rushing out to see Homecoming.

hollomat

Banned
Says in the article that one of the ways apes stands out from big blockbusters is its rave reviews. Meanwhile 4 of the top 5 movies are above 90% rotten tomatoes.

kswiston

When did you know? Just because the Friday to Friday % was a steep decline that's enough to know WW will outperform even after SMH significantly higher OW?

I knew on the first Friday after we got the Thursday previews, around the time that Deadline was giving us the Friday matinee report. You didn't have to wait until this weekend.

Wonder Woman's run hasn't happened in 30 years. Spider-man would have had to open to $150M to have a decent shot at topping Wonder Woman domestically.

Super early overreaction is that shit is way too low man WTF

We'll see. If its good I think $300 million is doable.

250m would put it above Doctor Strange, which did pretty damn well for an Origin flick in its own right.

I could be underestimating the Civil War bump though since people are already familiar with the character

I knew on the first Friday after we got the Thursday previews, around the time that Deadline was giving us the Friday matinee report. You didn't have to wait until this weekend.

Wonder Woman's run hasn't happened in 30 years. Spider-man would have had to open to $150M to have a decent shot at topping Wonder Woman domestically.
I still can't understand how could you tell from the very first SMH Friday. That movie did way better than WW's first weekend. How could you tell from that that SMH would end up below WW? I understand being able to tell after the second weekend but not after the first.

Black Panther is the first big budget film tailored to a community that loves action films and a country that loves consuming black culture. It'll do some numbers.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Black Panther is the first big budget film tailored to a community that loves action films and a country that loves consuming black culture. It'll do some numbers.
We're talking a movie set in Africa with a cast that's entirely black with two exceptions. You really think America's fucking with that in the era of MAGA?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Black Panther is going to do $600m domestically.

I say this because of the transition from Run the Jewels into the logo during the trailer being the most hype logo transition in the history of cinema.

Facts.

ZeoVGM

Banned
We're talking a movie set in Africa with a cast that's entirely black with two exceptions. You really think America's fucking with that in the era of MAGA?

There's no real logic to what you're saying at all.

The majority of the country is anti-MAGA.

I think so. Most of America isn't MAGA, that's actually about 30%. Problem is people that are against those beliefs don't go out and vote.

That said its still SUPER early so I'm not gonna venture into mega breakout territory for it yet until I see some tracking. A $250m gross would only put it 9 mil behind Winter Soldier for example, so its still a very strong box office if it came into that territory

like i said, they hate us but they love our culture. so many MAGA white teens strolled into Straight Outta Compton screenings and yelled FUCK THE POLICE along with the film but still went and Trumped it up in the voting booth.

Bronx-Man

Banned
That being said, $250 mil is way too low. I'm expecting around $350 mil domestic for Black Panther.

like i said, they hate us but they love our culture. so many MAGA white teens strolled into Straight Outta Compton screenings and yelled FUCK THE POLICE along with the film but still went and Trumped it up in the voting booth.
Damn, that's a good point. Is Straight Outta Compton the closest thing we have to compare to this?

Black Panther is going to do $600m domestically.

I say this because of the transition from Run the Jewels into the logo during the trailer being the most hype logo transition in the history of cinema.

Facts.

This is a very, very specific set of superhero criteria but I see no fault in the claim.

Top Bottom