• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS HD Collection Vita screens

KPva8.jpg

Exclusive!! Big Boss more sad in Vita version, confirmed! :(

Durante

That's exactly what I was saying, seeing how they're fairly similar hardware wise, with the iPad being on the weaker side.

So if you don't think it is due to hardware limitations, what else could it be? I mean it's not like they had a lot of time to fix this.
My best guess would be a combination of it being a port (designed for hardware that is extremely different), very few development resources being dedicated to it, and most Japanese developers (and gamers?) generally not giving a shit about IQ.

Really? Can you explain how that works? I've never heard of fast MSAA before, heh.
The main reason for the performance hit of MSAA on most recent platforms is lack of memory bandwidth. The Vita uses a Tile-based Deferred Renderer, rasterizing small tiles of the framebuffer on-chip. So it does not have that hit when enabling hardware MSAA.

I'm guessing you've been keeping up with the news on FXAA 4.0. That stuff sounds amazing and I'm hoping it will be the standard for games coming out this fall.
I'd still rather have "real" anti-aliasing. The reason I'm excited about FXAA 4 is to put it into PtBi.

So: there is an HD collection for the HD twins, a HD collection for the Vita which will arrive at my house the next days and a 3D version for my 3DS.

They don't make it easy to choose between all those versions.

That's why i just buy all of em. kojima takes my money every fucking gen.

BadWolf

Sold.

I'm interested in how they use Vita's dual touch for this. For some reason I always forget which buttons zoom the camera in and out in MGS games so that touch zooming is welcome lol.

Mr Swine

Banned
Looks good, but why in the world are they calling it HD when the PSV resolutions isn't even close to HD :/ isn't that flat out lying?

orioto

Good Art™
If the iq isn't the same than the ps3 version, that's really lame... I mean MGS ps2 has nowhere near the polys count or textures a Vita can push. That's the kind of details that certainly won't help the Vita right now. Its only clear advantage is its iq. Every game that can handle it should be amazingly sharp and clean.

I'd still rather have "real" anti-aliasing. The reason I'm excited about FXAA 4 is to put it into PtBi.

Thats super interesting. I remember coming across the thread you made about it. From what I hear though, native FXAA 4.0 will be even better than what you can do there because it will be able to handle sub-pixel detail, which approaches real AA quality if it lives up to the promise.

They are exactly the same, there's only a difference in resolution(obviously ) and in contrast and/or gamma(the vita screenshot is more bright and "flat", but on the vita screen everything is different)

Then they aren't exactly the same are they? Different resolutions, more jaggies and more able to see blurry textures.

That's my point and your disregarding it. What my eyes see is very different to acknowledging technical differences as i don't care for them unless i can see them. They look different and because of the jaggies Vita version loses my vote.

pa22word

Companies like to call things "HD" that aren't HD at all

Well to be fair to the companies in question, "HD" is nothing more than a marketing term anyways. I mean what happens when we start seeing resolutions 2-3x of 1920x1080 on the shelves? Are we going to just keep adding adjectives to "definition" until we hit something crazy like super-ultra-mega definition?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmmm, so the resolution isn't even native huh? I suppose that is at least a good sign that they are aiming to keep the games running at 60 fps. Still MUCH cleaner and sharper than MGS3D.

If these are both 60 fps, they will be truly amazing to behold on the Vita. It's just a shame they couldn't hit native resolution or at least use some AA.

MGS3 is 30fps, I think I saw this on Kojima's Twitter.
Really? I'll have to look.

That said, a solid 30 fps would still be a huge improvement on the 3DS version which runs between 15-20 fps most of the time.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
No, if you think about it it's logical, you can already play mgs:pw on vita. Would you buy this collection if you already have mgs:pw?

If it was the same as the PS3 version, offering MGS2, MGS3, and PW with a better framerate and (true) dual stick controls? Absolutely.

Peace Walker is also "unofficially" supported on the Vita...it's not available for download from PSN.

gogogow

Well to be fair to the companies in question, "HD" is nothing more than a marketing term anyways. I mean what happens when we start seeing resolutions 2-3x of 1920x1080 on the shelves? Are we going to just keep adding adjectives to "definition" until we hit something crazy like super-ultra-mega definition?

short answer, yes!

16:9 resolutions

960x540 = qHD
1280x720 = HD
1920x1080 = FHD
2560x1440 = QHD
3840x2160 = QFHD
7680x4320 = UHD

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Only played 1 and 2. Will buy but want to marathon the series so won't play until mgs psone is playable

Solid07

Banned
Why not just play them on your big screen hdtv instead? These 2 games deserve to be played in such settings.

pa22word

short answer, yes!

16:9 resolutions

960x540 = qHD
1280x720 = HD
1920x1080 = FHD
2560x1440 = QHD
3840x2160 = QFHD
7680x4320 = UHD

LOL

It was even more ridiculous before the edit, what with all those Ws and Gs in there in the resolutions below 7680x4320.

Only played 1 and 2. Will buy but want to marathon the series so won't play until mgs psone is playable

Why don't stroll down to GS and buy used copies of MGSHD + MGS 4 for about $47 and then go home, log onto PSN, and buy a copy of MGS1 off of PSN? Cheaper, more efficient, more complete, and you get better controls/resolution/framerate out of MGS2 and MGS3.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Because I want to play them on vita? I don't have exclusive use of the ps3 or TV these days

I already have mgs on psn, but I think it'd suit the vita screen more than a big HD screen. Can you play psone games via remote play?

You could skip cutscenes you know. Why would I want a portable Metal Gear Solid? I just do. I don't question what you want or do.

It looks similar to the PS2 version but has more jaggies and lower resolution textures it seems. We have to see it in motion though to see how it performs frame-rate wise.
I'm really curious about how they are going to handle the controls. These MGS games use almost much every button input on the PS2 controller, so how is the vita going to handle the lack of two shoulder buttons, pressure sensitive face buttons and clickable sticks.

The video from that Vita event showed the touch screen being used for peaking out of cover in MGS2.
it looks like the item/weapon menu can be opened using the touch screen.

sJLXk.jpg

notice how it says "NONE" for both menus, I don't remember that in the original game.

But we don't know if they've overcome the lack of the analogs and pressure sensitive buttons, yet.

Takao

Banned
So what you're saying is that you only game on portable handhelds? Be realistic here.

I've probably spent more time playing my Vita this past month than I've spent playing my PS3, Wii, and 360 the entirety of last year. That said, these are all games I've played before. Getting to play it on a handheld makes it a new experience ever so slightly.

I already have mgs on psn, but I think it'd suit the vita screen more than a big HD screen. Can you play psone games via remote play?

Yes.

Unless Sony changed something to Vita's OS, it's up to each game, similar to the PS3 and in-game XMB.

Eh... when you press the PS Button on the Vita the game stays "suspended" and you access the OS until you instantly return to the game.

Are you sure that is up to each game and that you could have the game running, twitter, the browser, friends and trophy apps running at the same time if the dev wanted to?

Solid07

Banned
I've probably spent more time playing my Vita this past month than I've spent playing my PS3, Wii, and 360 the entirety of last year.

Meh. Some great games like MGS 2 and 3 should stay on the systems where you can hook up to big screens. When you port cinematic games to handhelds, something doesn't seem right.

Not to mention PS3/360 versions are far superior. But that's just me.

Top Bottom