• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie calls someone a "fucking n****r" during PUBG livestream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferr986

At this point, I have to wonder if Americans deserve the reputation for being ignorant because if you talk to any Black person living in outside the US they'd tell you that they get called the n word or regional variants of that word because anti-blackness is a global affair.

Does the education system touch on how the US was built? That slave labor was the economic force? How they treated slaves and their decedents? I find it hard to believe that topic was never even touched on.

I feel like people are lying just to create a strawman.

Tbf, here in Spain, atleast in my school, we didnt study almost anything about the US.

Also, I have a friend that used "nigga" to call us, but he doesn't even talk english, he probably listened to it from some hip hop or something. So yeah, there's people out there that doesn't know the meaning of the word, you guys have to understand that there's a lot of people here that does't even speak english.

But, if someone speaks english, I don't think there's any excuse, there's a lot of US culture here, is impossible to avoid learning about it.

Also, even if you're ignorant about the word, I don't think this is the thread for asking, just google it.

God damn, so many "Europeans" in this thread that apparently don't know how words work? You all have accounts on here, but none of you know how to work Google and find out why saying nigger is offensive?

You're all either /pol/-lite alt accounts from weak people here not willing to use their main, or completely fucking dense.

i-Lo

I'd love to know what country you are from that the N word is not known to you.

I remember seeing a thread on GAF about someone being hurled racial slurs in some eastern european country. The thread had great many examples of how that sector comprises people utterly insensitive and ignorant of the weight of that word.

D i Z

People make mistakes. Ryan Davis once said faggot on stream, should I have called him homophobic?

He apologized for that emphatically.
Fucking hell, the defense force is massive.
EU defense.
PDP defense.
Fucked up hate speech defense.
Why do you get to say it but I can't defense.

This shit is crazy.

Randam

Question is how many of his colleagues/friends on YouTube are gonna actually cut him off/cut him out finally?

One?

Half of one?

Any?
I think this is kinda though.
Would you cut off your friends when they say said something like that?
You tell them it was wrong and not to do it again, but would you cut them off completely from your life?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
EU defense.
PDP defense.

This shit is crazy.

Gotta love the whataboutisms though. "That guy YOU ALL LOVE said it, so why is it only bad when THIS guy says it? GOTCHA!!"
Maybe those other guys are bigoted as well, but they come off a whole lot better when they apologize for it in a seemingly sincere way.

Tazmin

Neo Member
I think he lives on the moon because Europe is a huge racist shit hole. Especially here in the UK.
People are definitely aware of the slur especially in the UK where Felix lives.
This reminds me when on Reddit, they'll be 'Europeans' who'll want to give their accounts of how Islam is taking over their country. It's hilarious because they get the geography wrong

KyleCross

R78XHB4.jpg
Christ, this was a thing that happened? WTF...

TheXbox

How can anyone say this shit and not be a racist? How is that even conceivable? The callous disregard for its meaning and its impact, the requisite apathy is itself a form of racism. Pewdiepie doesn't hate black people. He just doesn't care about them. He's a racist.

Majukun

So what's the deal, is everybody in Europe unaware of colonialism? I'm not really grasping the confusion as to why racist insults are Not Good. I didn't grow up in America, but I am aware that the persecution of minorities has occurred throughout history and that the consequences of that can be felt to this day. The Eurozone does not have clean hands when it comes to dealing with Africa either, you guys.

again,it's not "euorpe doesn't have racism" or "europe doesn't understand colonialism/slavery"..it's simply that,being that world (mainly) part of US history,it's there that it has the biggest weight...here in italy probably the direct translation would be "negro", that again,it's not the political correct term,and will definitely raise some eyebrow if used in public, but it will never bring to examples like this

If a friend used that slang term in a private chat, I'd disown them.

because the biggest interaction we had with africa was during world war 2 and they kicked our asses and made us go back to Italy really fast.
nowadays it's mainly immigrants, but they are still a way smaller minority than in the US,
basically,it's still considered a racist at worst and not politically correct term at best here too...but it wil never generate the "sounds all alarms, burn him/her at the stake" reaction that it receives in the US..so it is possible for an european,depending of course of where in europe he/she is,since europe it's a pretty big and diverse place, to use the world (or the regional equivalent) lightly, especially when you consider the fact that he/she is talking in another language, and that adds even more distance between the term and what it actually historically meant of people of color

13ruce

Banned
I know how this kind of behaviour can cause cognitive dissonance because there are so many people who look up to him. I don't know if he's an actual racist or whether frustration made him use the most hostile words he could find but this is utterly disappointing. More so because in this current day and age racism is slowly creeping back as being acceptable, and as an public figure with whom so many young people connect with he really has a responsible not to do something this reprehensible. But if he truly is a racist, then fuck him.

Confession:
Over a decade ago, before I knew better I also threw around the N-word during online play and/or it would be hurled at me during moments of frustration. At the time I used it as a substitute for "asshole" because I knew it was far more insulting regardless of the race of the other player. But as I grew older, saw more, read more and learned more I knew that it was unacceptable to use it because of the weight and history the word carries and it betrays your claim of not being a racist (if you truly aren't one) regardless of your intention to use it as a mere as just another hurtful word.

Same dude i was a silly teen back then and did not know better as i came/lived from/in a small village as i got history in school and saw programs about slavery etc i stopped with using those kinds of words conpletely.

I am truly not racist and i have not used racial slur words in many years since thenand never will again. Heck i am even getting a poc video game character as a tattoo (Marina from Splatoon on calf). I think of everyone as equal no matter of origin and skin colour or sexual orientation. I care more about how a person is personality wise a shitty person is a shitty person, a good one good, decent etc.

PewdiePie is famous and an adult he should know this shit by now so no excuses for him at all he fucked up badly.

Hard R's everywhere in this thread.

on a related note: The pronunciation of the word doesn't really matter. Never did. Still doesn't. The word is the word. It doesn't somehow change properties depending on how its last syllable is pronounced. It's not some sort of racial language alchemy being performed.

The "a" vs. "er" split is artificial, a post-facto explanation built on the notion that "black people talk like this, and white people talk like this" is a matter of biological fact.

Honest question here so don't burn me at the stake.

Do we need to censor words if we're just talking about someone word using the word? If you're not using the word yourself and just use it in a context not directed at someone, does it need censoring?

How do people feel about this?

Honestly I don't mind people using to describe a past event but some people obviously take advantage of it to be able to type it on the internet with no repercussions

EJStyleS

UK here.

Yep, saying it here is as bad as saying it anywhere...this 'EU is oblivious' nonsense needs to stop.

Hope this is a watershed...previous goods have harmed him but would be good to see genuine contrition, especially interesting when someone sees fit to use it as a catch-all slur of the most vitriolic thing their brain can immediately conjure.

Honest question here so don't burn me at the stake.

Do we need to censor words if we're just talking about someone word using the word? If you're not using the word yourself and just use it in a context not directed at someone, does it need censoring?

How do people feel about this?

People have different opinions but i believe, especially when talking about history, it is important not to whitewash history by censoring the word. You should state it in it's full deplorable state to show the horrific nature of it.

In a future decade historians will look back at the influential racists of our time. PewDiePie may be one of these people, and it is very important for us not to censor what he says.

The word is dropped casually in rap music. Its not fair if one person can say it and the other not.

tenor.gif

"Guys, is the n-word really still that bad in 2017? Maybe he meant it in a different context? Also, he's not American, so maybe he doesn't understand the full impact of that word?

I mean, I'm just asking questions."

tenor.gif

Learned this with Jontron, never give YouTube gamers the benefit of the doubt

When maximillion dood said it he profoundly apologized and when Ryan Davis said faggot on stream he also profoundly apologized.

"This Will Be The End of PewDiePie's Career" Says Increasingly Nervous Man For Seventh Time This Year

800.jpg

But seriously, what will it fucking take to stop this bigoted bullshit in the YouTube/Twitch sphere? The platform holders seem to give zero fucks about addressing it and the community with vehemently defend these shitheads no matter how far they step out of line. Just seems like a hopeless situation at this point.

Nokterian

It still shocks me that he is still sponsored, also he normalized anti-semitism that is great fuel for all those neo nazi's because they like him a lot, that's absolute worst thing you can do and now using that word.

Whales

Banned
The word is dropped casually in rap music. Its not fair if one person can say it and the other not.

thats bullshit

also, there's a big difference between the ''er'' and ''a'' variant

the ''er'' one is 100x worse IMO and that's what PDP used so yeah... This dude is just racist, this isn't the first time he had drama about this, why are people defending him? Or is he allowed to do racist stuff forever without being labeled a racist?

eot

Banned
EU defense.
PDP defense.

This shit is crazy.

EU defense? What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom