• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study suggests that the brain is still aware for a period after the heart stops

Zeke

So its the ultimate sleep paralysis, good to know. Imgaine being laid out in a morgue with other deceased and being aware of it.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
XRJt2B6.png

*just in case*

Given the amount of out of body experiences people have this doesn't surprise me at all. Your consciousness can actually separate itself from your body y'all, not just chill inside your brain for a bit after you die.

Aye. My grandmother had a stroke and vividly remembers "dying." Her heart stopped for some period of time, I forget how long, but she has this lengthy memory of "dying." For her, it was religious, she was a religious person, she wasn't like a 'believe anything spiritual live/laugh/love' religious person, she was a tough as nails, Catholic-who-escaped-occupied-Poland kind of religious person. She had icons and all those sorts of old world Catholic orthodoxic memorabilia around her house, but she would have never talked about God or Jesus, though after she 'died,' she plain as day told us weeks later, "I remember the whole thing." She said she was terrified, scared, and hurt in the hospital, but then was suddenly taken over my an overwhelming calm and serenity, literally said the same sort of thing 'walking towards a bright light,' that you hear everywhere. She was slowly walking towards it, for a time that seemed like a very long time as she recalled, and then seriously she says her husband (who died about 10 years before), said that it wasn't her time and she had to go back, she didn't want to, but she did, and then came out of it and was back in the noisy, painful, loud emergency room.

But after then she was never afraid of death, and used to talk about 'when she died' so matter of factly like it's the most normal thing in the world (which, I suppose, it is, not everybody is born, but everybody dies). Consciousness is something that we just don't comprehend.

She'd live for another like 8 or 9 years after that, and ultimately when she finally died she was in pretty rough shape psychologically and so she wasn't as serene about her real death as she had been for the years in between her fake death and real death, but you can't blame her, dying sucks until you're dead, at least according to her.

br3wnor

I knew somebody who had a near-death experience when she was a late-teenager. Her and her friend were speeding and drove straight off the road when they missed a turn and hit a particularly menacing tree. The car was totaled and they both very nearly died.

The person I knew was the passenger. She said she wasn't even aware they were speeding. They were listening to the Riot album by Paramore. She was really into it and singing along and the impact of the accident was extremely sudden to her. She had zero awareness it was about to happen until they actually crashed.

She described having her entire life pass before her eyes - just like the cliche - and even though it was instantaneous it was a "deep instant." She felt like that single second reached deeper beneath a different axis of time and she was able to fully re-experience her entire existence in the moment that flashed after the impact. Then she lost consciousness.

In the wake of the accident and during her recovery, she started to realize she now had two memories of everything that ever happened. There was the original memory from when she first experienced them and the second memory from when she experienced them again during the accident. She felt like she lived her entire life twice, in equal proportion, and had double memories of everything that happened before the crash.

So every time she remembered something from her life before her accident, she would have this sickening deja vu feeling. She described it as a 3D image improperly aligned. There's an image underneath in blue and the same image on top in red, but they don't line up right. They're askew. So the blue memory is all the normal feelings and emotions she felt when the memory originally happened, but the red memory only conjured up feelings of extreme terror. She said it was like looking at old photographs and noticing the grim reaper in every photo. And as you flip through the photo album and see yourself as a baby, and as a little kid, and graduating high school, there is a cloaked figure you never noticed before that seems to be as much the subject of the photo as you are.

But worst of all, she remembered her death.

Her double memories end abruptly at the accident. Everything after the accident she remembers normally. So, to her, this termination point feels like her death. So she remembers a timeline of her life where she was killed at 19. When she thinks about herself, there is a prevailing and nagging thought that she was killed in the accident.

And she remembers that girl. She knows that girl. That girl was her. That girl is dead.

She can't listen to Paramore anymore because it brings up too many memories. Twice as many as they should and some that abruptly end. She doesn't like to revisit the moment she went askew.

Jesus tap dancing Christ dude....that is....intense.

My example of near death’ isn’t nearly as interesting, but I got cancer when I was 21 and the trauma that surrounded the diagnosis, surgery and treatment clearly cuts my life into 2 parts. I can remember things in my life that happened before I was 21 but a lot of the memories have faded. My mom or sisters will bring up stories from out childhood and I honestly don’t remember a lot of them. I still have some vivid memories, but not nearly as many as I used to have. The trauma of the event seems to have done something to my memory bank, whether it be shock or whatever, but for me, my ‘existence’ is really tied more to my life post cancer. It’s really weird (I’m 31 now).

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Of course this could all be hearsay since there’s no recorded evidence of this happening. Blinking could easily be muscle spasms or rapidly changing fluid physics affecting eyelid response. The brain could also just be sending panic signals everywhere due to the trauma.

“Curious executioners” tall tales should not be trusted.

Gabriel Beaurieux, writing in 1905, quoted in Kershaw, Alister (1958). A History of the Guillotine. John Calder. ISBN 9781566191531., cited by "Losing One's Head: A Frustrating Search for the 'Truth' about Decapitation". The Chirurgeon's Apprentice. Retrieved April 8, 2014.

There are other instanced referenced on the Chirurgeon's Apprentice page as archived, and you can find the report elsewhere in the original French correctly attributed and giving the Doctor's employment.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I knew somebody who had a near-death experience when she was a late-teenager. Her and her friend were speeding and drove straight off the road when they missed a turn and hit a particularly menacing tree. The car was totaled and they both very nearly died.

The person I knew was the passenger. She said she wasn't even aware they were speeding. They were listening to the Riot album by Paramore. She was really into it and singing along and the impact of the accident was extremely sudden to her. She had zero awareness it was about to happen until they actually crashed.

She described having her entire life pass before her eyes - just like the cliche - and even though it was instantaneous it was a "deep instant." She felt like that single second reached deeper beneath a different axis of time and she was able to fully re-experience her entire existence in the moment that flashed after the impact. Then she lost consciousness.

In the wake of the accident and during her recovery, she started to realize she now had two memories of everything that ever happened. There was the original memory from when she first experienced them and the second memory from when she experienced them again during the accident. She felt like she lived her entire life twice, in equal proportion, and had double memories of everything that happened before the crash.

So every time she remembered something from her life before her accident, she would have this sickening deja vu feeling. She described it as a 3D image improperly aligned. There's an image underneath in blue and the same image on top in red, but they don't line up right. They're askew. So the blue memory is all the normal feelings and emotions she felt when the memory originally happened, but the red memory only conjured up feelings of extreme terror. She said it was like looking at old photographs and noticing the grim reaper in every photo. And as you flip through the photo album and see yourself as a baby, and as a little kid, and graduating high school, there is a cloaked figure you never noticed before that seems to be as much the subject of the photo as you are.

But worst of all, she remembered her death.

Her double memories end abruptly at the accident. Everything after the accident she remembers normally. So, to her, this termination point feels like her death. So she remembers a timeline of her life where she was killed at 19. When she thinks about herself, there is a prevailing and nagging thought that she was killed in the accident.

And she remembers that girl. She knows that girl. That girl was her. That girl is dead.

She can't listen to Paramore anymore because it brings up too many memories. Twice as many as they should and some that abruptly end. She doesn't like to revisit the moment she went askew.

Uh - this is strange. I had a near death experience when I was grade 3. I almost drowned. When I went under for the last time I saw myself floating in the water. The next thing I remember is walking around on the beach eating popcorn with no idea how I got there. A friend of mine said his big brother saved me and pulled me to shore.

I didn't have the "life flash before eyes" moment, but that nagging and prevailing thought, yeah, that is definitely there.

spock

Fantastic claims require fantastic evidence.

You call them fanastic, while some cultures call them common. What your asking for is proof within a certain model of understanding and explanation. The problem is where we are at in our general understanding of consciousness and our ability to measure or know what the fuck where measuring.

That in itself is going to require some innovation, heavy retooling and further understanding between the relationship of mind and body. Which is my point exactly. In order to get the "proof" new roads will most likely need to be paved. That means you need people to be open to these ideas, to begin with for them to be willing to look at them more closely.

It's hard to get an answer if you don't ask the question. It does happen often though but again the person who might be bumping into the answers would be doing so unknowingly and if they have no point of reference in relation to the possibility of something even remotely possible that in itself will increase the odds that accidentally discovered evidence will be overlooked or ignored.

DavidDesu

Given the amount of out of body experiences people have this doesn’t surprise me at all. Your consciousness can actually separate itself from your body y’all, not just chill inside your brain for a bit after you die.

While it sounds silly I can't say that this isn't possible. There's a hell of a lot that we don't know about everything. We know a lot and it's always increasing but we don't know and understand everything. Who's to say our brains can't tap into some underlying universal field of energy. It's mumbo jumbo but then the notion were all made of tiny wobbling particles that don't physically connect would have sounded like mumbo jumbo not that long ago. I'm hoping for some sci fi shit to go down when I die. I want to see the Universe! :p

Breads

Banned
Well... yeah. Death isn't a switch that is set to off. Death is the decline of multiple systems. Depending on how it is defined there are moment to moment cases where dead and dying are indistinguishable.

Given the amount of out of body experiences people have this doesn’t surprise me at all. Your consciousness can actually separate itself from your body y’all, not just chill inside your brain for a bit after you die.

Consciousness isn't something that can be "separated". It's not like it's a concrete entity... Like a cookie in a cookie jar.

Some studies have shown that lesions to the right parietal junction (to simplify, it is an area that receives various sensory information and pieces them together in order to form a coherent representation of your body) lead to OBEs. You can induce this in healthy patients by interfering with its normal function. You can do this using a technique called TMS.

I have a few books on the link between religious experience and science in general. Absolutely fascinating stuff...

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
already knew it since yesterday, when I watched Keri Russell in the shower from The Americans season 5 episode 2

Uh - this is strange. I had a near death experience when I was grade 3. I almost drowned. When I went under for the last time I saw myself floating in the water. The next thing I remember is walking around on the beach eating popcorn with no idea how I got there. A friend of mine said his big brother saved me and pulled me to shore.

I didn't have the "life flash before eyes" moment, but that nagging and prevailing thought, yeah, that is definitely there.

When she originally told me the story, I asked her what she meant by "remembering her death." She had a hard time describing it. She had to compare it to other things, using similes and metaphors, to help put what it felt like into words.

She started by saying that she knows she lost consciousness. She remembers being pinned inside the car. She remembers being sideways. She remembers her vision going black - which she described as her POV being quickly burned from the center outward. Like her field of vision was a piece of paper that swiftly disintegrated to reveal nothing but blackness behind it. She says this feeling is scary, but she knows that this was her losing consciousness and not her being killed. She knows this wasn't her death because she was consciously fading out, and even after her vision went black. She remembers being disoriented. She remembers being shocked. She remembers thinking to herself "what's happening?"

This is her "blue memory."

Her "red memory" plays out differently. She remembers being pinned inside the car. She remembers being sideways. But her vision doesn't go black. It stays completely clear, crisp, and vivid. But there is no consciousness. No background thought. There is no disorientation, there is no shock, and there is no train of thought. To her, this final image is not the field of view of a living thing. It's like the recording of a video camera that was knocked over. But there's no director. There's nobody behind it. It just lays there recording until it runs out of tape. Then it stops.

That's how she remembers dying.

^^^
to the above, could your friend be suffering from Cotard's syndrome..? it's a rare and serious condition in which people literally feel dead or that they should be dead.

nah. there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for out of body experiences (spoiler: it's a hallucination), and it can be induced in the lab. it's nothing mystical. i mean, you know what you look like, it's not that difficult to hallucinate/dream a vision of yourself that you're looking at from the outside, right?

spelen

Funnily enough, it's a bit harder to get ethics to sign off on anaesthetising humans and inducing heart attacks.
true but I don't care because IMO testing on 9 rats doesn't deserve to be published or used as proof in any way. look at how some ppl in this thread are using this incomplete research to prove w.e. point the wanna prove.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

Um, no. There is zero credible evidence that consciousness exists outside of the physical substrate that holds it. You're talking about wishful thinking, not science.

The way you write these posts makes it sound like a creepypasta. I feel like we're being meme'd here.

The floating "she remembers" at the end was just a mistake, I already deleted it. It was out of view when I made a fresh linebreak. The story is dramatic and profound to me and something I've always thought about since she explained it. That's why it sounds the way it does. It is not something I take lightly.

But if you're familiar with any of my posts, this is just how I post. I like telling stories. This is not a meme.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
But that depends on external factors. Sure, you can keep a person with multiple organ failure alive in the hospital. Let's take medical assistance out of the equation. If your heart fails you're dead.

No, you're just very likely to die shortly.

You're talking about personhood rather than life.

And this isn't a new discovery or anything. Of course your mind stays alive after you die for a little bit, otherwise CPR would never work. The awareness you feel as all your systems begin to shut down is why a lot of people see they can see the afterlife and shit during near death experiences.

If your mind is alive you are not dead. It's very simple. Your heart is just a dumb muscle that pumps blood through your body, what's YOU is your mind (i.e. brain). You're not dead until that dies, and that takes a little while after the heart muscle stops pumping.

Here is a cool video about OOB experiment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee4-grU_6vs

They have a few, Karolinska is the major hospital in Stockholm.

Basically, your brain is fooled that it is at the cameras position.

Sure, you can trick the mind in fun ways. But that's very different from believing in actual OOBEs.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
SCP-2718 gives you the full details on this.
Scroll to the bottom of the page and press "play" if you want to see what I mean

First thing I thought of.
If this thread bothers you, do NOT read scp 2718. It will seriously fuck you up.

Pejo

When she originally told me the story, I asked her what she meant by "remembering her death." She had a hard time describing it. She had to compare it to other things, using similes and metaphors, to help put what it felt like into words.

She started by saying that she knows she lost consciousness. She remembers being pinned inside the car. She remembers being sideways. She remembers her vision going black - which she described as her POV being quickly burned from the center outward. Like her field of vision was a piece of paper that swiftly disintegrated to reveal nothing but blackness behind it. She says this feeling is scary, but she knows that this was her losing consciousness and not her being killed. She knows this wasn't her death because she was consciously fading out, and even after her vision went black. She remembers being disoriented. She remembers being shocked. She remembers thinking to herself "what's happening?"

This is her "blue memory."

Her "red memory" plays out differently. She remembers being pinned inside the car. She remembers being sideways. But her vision doesn't go black. It stays completely clear, crisp, and vivid. But there is no consciousness. No background thought. There is no disorientation, there is no shock, and there is no train of thought. To her, this final image is not the field of view of a living thing. It's like the recording of a video camera that was knocked over. But there's no director. There's nobody behind it. It just lays there recording until it runs out of tape. Then it stops.

That's how she remembers dying.

Dude, if you're not already subscribed to /r/nosleep - you need to go there and write some stories. You've got a talent.

I always assumed this was true. Your heart and lungs serve to maintain your body, but it's not like everything just immediately turns to dust the moment it stops. Your cells are all still alive, just starving. Your brain can't last long without it, but there might be a little time between when your heart stops and your head bluescreens, right?

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Gabriel Beaurieux, writing in 1905, quoted in Kershaw, Alister (1958). A History of the Guillotine. John Calder. ISBN 9781566191531., cited by "Losing One's Head: A Frustrating Search for the 'Truth' about Decapitation". The Chirurgeon's Apprentice. Retrieved April 8, 2014.

There are other instanced referenced on the Chirurgeon's Apprentice page as archived, and you can find the report elsewhere in the original French correctly attributed and giving the Doctor's employment.

Someone writing that down without corroborating evidence is proof of nothing. It's like saying the bible is true.

Arkeband

Banned
A doctor recorded one in his diary.
And then an army guy in a horrific car crash related what happened to the expression amd eyes In the head of his passenger, which ended up visible, but removed.
I mean if you want to believe consciousness ends the Instant blood pressure drops to zero or blood stops moving of course it's difficult to prove otherwise, but I don't see the big deal about thinking that the brain will struggle on under its own residual power for a little while, and maybe in some cases blissful unconsciousness doesn't trigger. They tested rats already and found brainwaves continued for a short time after a clean fast decaptation.
Not promoting this as any spirituality, just it strikes me as too convenient to say in a messy complex system as we have, that there is a neat "off" switch tied perfectly to cessation of blood flow and blood pressure. A lag may occur,

A doctor writing about it in his diary is not evidence.

Someone writing that down without corroborating evidence is proof of nothing. It's like saying the bible is true.

exactly

Linkup

He and his team are looking at people who suffered cardiac arrest, technically died, but were later revived.

So basically the brain doesn't quite shut off with the textbook definition of death.

I'd just say they never actually did then as just because something like the heart has stopped doesn't mean everything else instantly does the same. Technically, even the muscles will twitch after the brain goes as the system is still charged so to speak. Kind of like how you can turn off or pull out a power adapter and the green light takes a few seconds before it fades.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Interesting article with some actual doctors and physicists talking about quantum theory and consciousness being a separate entity. I don’t really think the subject has been studied all that much because it’s too hard fo scientists to not be working towards their firm belief that consciousness is only created by the mind.

http://www.collective-evolution.com...-suggests-consciousness-moves-on-after-death/

I don't believe in any religious or supernatural stuff, but man would it be cool if something like this quantum consciousness idea turned out to be true.

So its the ultimate sleep paralysis, good to know. Imgaine being laid out in a morgue with other deceased and being aware of it.
Unless you died in the morgue I wouldnt worry about it lol

Most will say you're talking nonsense, but odds are you're right. Given time this will be proven to some degree in my opinion. Right now it's conceptually absurd to those who have never experienced anything of the sort, and most metaphysical concepts, in general, are HIGHLY looked down upon by a great number of people, especially those who have this crazy rigid view of science itself.

They think even entertaining the notion of metaphysical concepts is for the "stupid", yet some our greatest mind in history explored these areas, and many could argue that some of sciences most fundamental understandings came from people influenced in varying degrees by ideas that would be considered metaphysical, etc.

Curiosity and openness, especially to that which was considered absurd at the time has been proven time and again as a major pathway to some of the most powerful and life-changing discoveries man has ever made and will continue to make (directly or indirectly).

Its much easier to say something is not true, too difficult, is stupid, etc. than it is to think deeply and ask questions into how something could possibly be true if true. This is pretty much how the impossible becomes possible in any field of study.
No, this is all stupid. Those feelings are explained by the fact that your brain is still floundering around after death, so you see and feel crazy shit. It's just all in your head.

Top Bottom