• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's Surface Book 2

Futureman

the heck? outta nowhere. Or maybe it was known and I just wasn't following the rumors.

15"!

time to sell my SP4 and MBP 15" and go all in???

TBiddy

With the latest 8th Gen Intel Core processors and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 and 1060 discrete graphics options, Surface Book 2 is up to five times more powerful than the original and is twice as powerful as the latest MacBook Pro. All this power and Surface Book 2 still provides all-day battery life – up to 17 hours of video playback. That's 70% more than the latest MacBook Pro.

Shots fired.

Also, what a weird and wonderful time to be alive in. Microsoft making faster and more beautiful laptops and AIOs than Apple.

Posted in the other thread.

Very quiet release for a major Surface product. May in part be due to the fact that barely anything has changed but ive got to wonder what the Surface team is working on given that they seem to be rolling out iterations to products (SP5 as well) rather than anything revolutionary.

Futureman

is there the full pricing breakdown for the different models somewhere?

Under "In the Box" on the SB2 page, looks like it doesn't come with the pen. Lame.

Futureman

15" with 512Gb is $2,899.

I wonder what the education pricing is?

edit... I guess 10% off.

I would love one but probably can't justify the pricing!

corn_fest

That is a damn nice laptop. Gotta say, it's more appealing than the current MBP, especially considering the tablet/stylus support.

kami_sama

God damn, a 1050 on the 13.5 inch version and a 1060 on the 15 inch one?
That's like 4 or 5 times more powerful than the shitty gpu on the first one.

If they offered 32GB RAM option on the 15", I might have been persuaded to part with my money up to $2500.

For now, I will make due with my VAIO Z Canvas + Cintiq router until a 3rd party ODM gives me 15" 2K/4K IPS, MPP/AES, Kaby Lake-R i7, 32GB RAM, PCIe SSD, Thunderbolt USB-C. and GTX1060 for less than $2000. I will have to give up on a 3;2 15" screen probably but I will live with that for the savings.

Fliesen

I keep mixing up "Surface Book" and "Surface Laptop".

Microsoft sucks at hardware branding :/

I certainly like this device's aesthetics more than the felt-y laptop counterpart. I still don't like the hinge...

Somnid

I'm glad they are lighting a fire under Apple's ass. Having a Windows desktop I'd like a Mac laptop just to have my bases covered, especially since iOS tools are locked to macOS but seeing the competition do so much better is souring me on the idea. MS needs to nail durability though, that's the one thing Apple has that nobody has been able to touch.

The whole Surface line always makes me sad because I really want one but lul at the idea of me ever affording even the cheapest configs. T_T

Somnid

More powerful and better battery life aren’t innovations. They’re great, but they’re not innovations.

I mean how do you think you get such a performance and battery boost without some serious internal innovation? Heat didn't stop being a problem.

But we're also talking devices that are full tablets with pens and software that takes that into account. Not to mention accessories like the dial that are just really neat.

The whole Surface line always makes me sad because I really want one but lul at the idea of me ever affording even the cheapest configs. T_T

I would only recommend spending money on Surface anything if you could write it off on tax or make your work buy it for you. It's definitely not a bargain by any stretch of imagination.

If you want a quad core i7, 4K or better 15" with pen support, GTX 1050 or better with 1TB of PCIe SSD, you can either spend $3200 on the SB 2 15 in a month, or $1500 on the Lenovo Yoga 720 15 right now. The SB2 looks sexy as F but twice the money just can't be sold to my cost conscious brain...

After more than a year with the SP4 I'd rather get a SB2. But it sucks that Microsoft keeps being dishonest about the battery life. "Up to 17 hours of video playback" is not a metric anyone, who's interested in this segment, cares about.

derFeef

The gap is still there.

surface-book-2-1.jpg

Would the cheapest configs on these be able to run Lightroom and Photoshop well enough? I love the idea of editing photos with one of these.

My old laptop is running very long in the tooth.

i wanted one of these, microsoft was too late. Been loving my Dell XPS 15.
That’s literally my story (well, my wife’s). We ended up getting an XPS15 in July.
To be fair, seeing the prices on display here, I don’t really regret not holding my breath for a Surface Book refresh.

Nice specs, though. They’re clearly gunning for the MBP market,l.

After more than a year with the SP4 I'd rather get a SB2. But it sucks that Microsoft keeps being dishonest about the battery life. "Up to 17 hours of video playback" is not a metric anyone, who's interested in this segment, cares about.
Unfortunately X amount of hour working with Photoshop is not a reliable metric since usage scenarios within Photoshop can vary greatly.

are the prices? I'd like to get one at launch, the smaller probably.

Very expensive, as always.

Surface Book 2 (13.5 inch)

• 7th Generation Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB, integrated GPU - $1,499 USD ERP
• 8th Generation Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB, discrete-GPU - $1,999 USD ERP
• 8th Generation Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 512GB, discrete-GPU - $2,499 USD ERP
• 8th Generation Intel Core, i7, 16 GB RAM, 1TB, discrete-GPU - $2,999 USD ERP

Surface Book 2 (15-inch)

• 8th Generation Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB, dGPU - $2,499 USD ERP
• 8th Generation Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 512GB, dGPU - $2,899 USD ERP
• 8th Generation Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 1TB, dGPU - $ 3,299 USD ERP

http://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...thesurface-book-2-specs-pricing-availability/

e: I just noticed that the cheapest SB2 comes with the last-gen i5. lmao

Unfortunately X amount of hour working with Photoshop is not a reliable metric since usage scenarios within Photoshop can vary greatly.

Of course, but Apple manages to get a somewhat realistic estimate for their battery life.

giga

Who measures battery life on purely video playback anymore? Is this device meant to just watch videos on?

Top Bottom