• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

neshcom

Banned
"Documentary of Namie Amuro" will begin airing next month, with a new episode added every month for a whole YEAR. We will finally get to see behind the scenes! I can't wait.

Picture from her anniversary concert.

This entire post is blessed. I wonder how in-depth it will be compared to that 20th year doc and interview they put out. I guess without an actual concert 5 years ago, they could only document so much haha

Ryuukan

Man we're in for some pretty neat 4 months to end 2017, and I'm sure there some good stuff not announced yet (hoping for Sakanaction... lol, [Alexandros] should drop a new single too since a new song is used for a CM)

what kind of bs list is this that leaves out the moumoon acoustic album on Oct 4

"Documentary of Namie Amuro" will begin airing next month, with a new episode added every month for a whole YEAR. We will finally get to see behind the scenes! I can't wait.

Picture from her anniversary concert.

This will be very interesting to see.
In regards to the 25th anniversary concert, I was so shocked to see a lot of Super Monkey's catalog and her early catalog. I can't believe she sang Go! Go! I am pretty pleased with the setlist. A little sad there was no "Baby Don't Cry", but she has sang that at numerous concerts over the past few years.

Kurita

what kind of bs list is this that leaves out the moumoon acoustic album on Oct 4

2TALAmz.gif

-
Yonige's major debut album is freaking amazing, man I love them so goddamn much
6uHFm.png

Builds on the very strong bases that was their latest mini-album. Digging the lyrics, melodies are on point, easy to remember, pretty much all you can ask from this kind of rock band. Love it love it love it, gonna be a favorite of mine for a long time. Between this and the upcoming My Hair is Bad album it's a great time to be a fan of softish punk rock.

And there's that story about them and Yamada Takayuki which I love. In 2012, before yonige actually started, Arisa (vocals) send him a tweet asking him to come to their live once they become famous. In 2016 he actually did lol This year they appeared at the Yuusha Yoshihiko fan event (Yamada is the lead), and now they're doing the theme song for a short movie he's in. Pretty neat.

The last live I saw in Japan before leaving was yonige and The Back Horn at Ebisu Liquidroom with my ex. So that band really represents something special to me lol
(completely random, knowing that the vocalist was born just 3 days after me makes me happy, makes it easier to relate to the songs in a way)

Kurita

That's not a trio I ever expected to see, and now I'm sad it's just for this lol Can't go wrong when you take 3 of the most talented people in their respective music scene.

Speaking of KenKen, RIZE released a new album recently (first one since 2010), and it's pretty great for people into mixture rock.

Been a while since I last checked in here. Haru Nemuri and Mariko Goto finding each other is probably the best thing that's happened since I've been away.

Looking through my liked YT videos, here's some stuff from these past few weeks I think might have been missed:

WONK - Midnight Cruise
Those chords. This band just released two pretty great albums simultaneously. One is more neo-soul themed, the other more hip-hop. Note: WONK is obviously not NOT WONK

Yo Irie - Tell Me
In other Japanese neo-soul news, Yo Irie has a new album out.

みつけて未映子さん / アインシュタインズ [MV]
Anyone else familiar with einsteins? Their album this year is one of my favorites.

Yellow Sweet / 内田彩
Listened to the new Aya Uchida album and it only has a few good songs but this one in particular is brilliant pop.

「Round&Round&Round」MV/TECHNOBOYS PULCRAFT GREEN-FUND feat. ボンジュール鈴木
I only knew of this band from the song they produced for Sumire Uesaka (cubic futurismo) but this one with Bonjour Suzuki is good too. The YMO worship is real.

kasane

apparently my friends are saying i literally look like KANA-BOONs vocalist

i did not make that connection or realize that lol

Any suggestions for jazz groups?

My personal favourite is Sleep Walker, though I don't think they've released anything new in years. Don't know of much else besides Kyoto Jazz Massive and Soil & Pimp Sessions, who are also pretty old at this point; perhaps others have more timely suggestions.

(I'm not sure if I'd consider them jazz really, but CRCK/LCKS are kind of in the ballpark and really damned good)

Aizo

Banned
Any suggestions for jazz groups?
Soil and Pimp Sessions 1 2 They're legit. Played at The Blue Note Tokyo recently.

How about some Bossa Nova? Lamp

Let's go real old school with Little Fats & Swingin' Hot Shot Party

I love this guy's voice 勝手にしやがれ (Katte ni Shiyagare)

This group does covers of game/otaku shit, and they're all phenomenal musicians. Tokyo Active NEETs

The wonderful Hamada Maron is my favorite female Jazz singer currently. Met her once at a show, and she was so lovely.

If you wanna get really serious, Hiromi Uehara is highly respected. Really great trio, too.

Gacha-pin

Amuro Namie retired from showbiz.

edit
"Namie has announced that she will retire from the music industry next year on september 16."

My bad, 「安室奈美恵さん、芸能界引退」 is all I got when I posted above.

Wulfric

There's still another year left. I don't think I can get a passport and afford travel by then, but I hope everyone who wants to see her is able to go.

Full message from Facebook.

1I45Cvu.jpg

I had a feeling she was going to retire, she had a great career.
I am really sad but at least she can retire on her own terms.
I am going to miss her :(

Slowdive

Banned
Short version for the new Gesu no Kiwami Otome, interesting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTe0gXC7Qxk
Dope aesthetic

The Thunderbirds concept is surprising, didn't know it was well known in Japan.

I am, haven't heard the album yet, really like this track though.

「Round&Round&Round」MV/TECHNOBOYS PULCRAFT GREEN-FUND feat. ボンジュール鈴木
I only knew of this band from the song they produced for Sumire Uesaka (cubic futurismo) but this one with Bonjour Suzuki is good too. The YMO worship is real.

Never heard of the band, but as a Bonjour Suzuki fan I somehow missed this, pretty good song and video.

Kurita

Just noticed it thanks to the comments, but in the music video at 2:01 you see a magazine bouncing off them, which is a parody of Shunkan Bunshun, the tabloid that often reveals "scandals" (read " stuff that's none of our business") about celebrities, one of them was Becky/Kawatani last year lol

She's my #1 artist I can't deal lol

I can't deal with it either LOL I have already cried.
I don't know what I am going to do without her.

I am seeing she will release a best album next year? It better be like five discs long lol just kidding, but I am hoping for at least one more original album before she leaves us.

Zoe

I am seeing she will release a best album next year? It better be like five discs long lol just kidding, but I am hoping for at least one more original album before she leaves us.

Best album in November and an original album sometime next year.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
probably early uverworld

Well, just finished giving all the albums a first play though. I like the band, and did prefer their earlier stuff a lot more, but it wasn't really the kind of sound I was looking for.

I wish I knew shit about music so I could use better words to try and describe what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion though, appreciate it a lot.

So you can pre-order Namie Amuro's final best album. It will be called Finally. They are saying 52 songs spanning from 1992-2017, with 7 of the songs being new. It's coming in a 3CD, 3CD+DVD, and 3CD+Blu-ray edition. Releases November 8th, 2017.
I have preordered the blu-ray edition. The fact that there are seven new songs, does that mean this will be considered the "original album"?
I am pretty disappointed, I was hoping for an additional original album next year. Now, I am not so sure we will be getting that.
I am going to go cry again.

So you can pre-order Namie Amuro's final best album. It will be called Finally. They are saying 52 songs spanning from 1992-2017, with 7 of the songs being new. It's coming in a 3CD, 3CD+DVD, and 3CD+Blu-ray edition. Releases November 8th, 2017.
I have preordered the blu-ray edition. The fact that there are seven new songs, does that mean this will be considered the "original album"?
I am pretty disappointed, I was hoping for an additional original album next year. Now, I am not so sure we will be getting that.
I am going to go cry again.

At first I thought no, an original album will follow next year but reading everyones comments - this could be her last release ever.

It makes sense from a business sense, this album will sell TONS and the original album following it probably wouldn't do as well. If she wants to go out on the highest of the highs, this would be how to do it.

Kurita

The formation for Keyakizaka46's new single will be revealed this weekend during Keyakitte, kakenai. Wonder if they'll keep Hirate as the center. I have a hard time imagining someone else tbh, her aura is just nuts. Neru definitely has something too though, I wouldn't be surprised if they push her next year. She's already the face of the hiragana team though so who knows...
High hopes for that single. Honestly doubt they will ever top Fukyouwaon but hey, so far all of the singles ranged from solid (Sekai ni wa ai shikanai) to amazing (the other 3), same goes for the album lead track.
(please have Shida, Akane and Nagasawa on the first line)

パスピエ - 音の鳴る方へ
Loving that intro.

ヤバイTシャツ屋さん - 【LIVE】「ヤバみ」
Simply one of the best tracks of 2017, listened like 50 times to it.

Kurita

Keyakizaka do have some videos available worldwide on their VEVO Channel. They don't have everything though. Same goes for Nogizaka (but they have just like 3 or 4 lol)

SiM to drop a double a-side single on December 6th, called "A / The Sound Of Breath". Both songs are used for the upcoming remake of Yakuza 2.

Top Bottom