• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

SegaShack

I have not played the others but will say that I have played Forza 5 a lot and that game looks amazing. It is the only sim racer I have ever owned though. When you are going fast and everything looks as nice as it does, combined with the 60fps, you really get an amazing sense of speed.

Only way to really judge any of these games is to see them in person since they are 60 fps and 1080p.

I love Forza 5 and can't wait for Horizon, but Project Cars is clearly the champ here. Deciding if I want to get this on Xbone or Steam. Best graphics vs friends to play with online.

Sipheren

Banned
They all look amazing but Project Cars simply astonishes me at various times.

PCARS is awesome, when I turn the gfx settings to the max it kills my PC but looks very good. To get it to run at 40-50fps @ 1600p I turn off a lot of the nice effects.

It will be interesting to see how well it runs on the consoles when it comes out.

and it has rally DLC which is GODLY.
It really, really was. Almost gave me heart attacks several times over.

Just wish it was fully integrated in the main open world and not relegated to a separate mode and load time for each track.

Horizon hit so much right, right out of the gate. A sequel with a few more sim options to the controls, true Forza audio, integrated rally and weather, and while it may not win the biggest beauty contests, it could easily be my played racing title.

In-game framebuffer screens. Forza shots courtesy of Shinn

DriveClub

driveclub1apja6.png

Forza 5

recording_2014-04-05_yakh6.jpg

DriveClub

driveclub2cpr2g.png

Forza 5

recording_2014-04-05_3sj9b.jpg

DriveClub

driveclub3nik6r.png

Forza 5

iMElGjsFDebou.png

DriveClub

driveclub4fqr9o.png

Forza 5

iEvrG0YszcirC.png

DriveClub

driveclub5hljcl.png

Forza 5

DriveClub

driveclub6f0jjw.png

Forza 5

Perfect comparison!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
It really, really was. Almost gave me heart attacks several times over.

Just wish it was fully integrated in the main open world and not relegated to a separate mode and load time for each track.

Horizon hit so much right, right out of the gate. A sequel with a few more sim options to the controls, true Forza audio, integrated rally and weather, and while it may not win the biggest beauty contests, it could easily be my played racing title.

i'll second the sim options (its built off of the forza physics apparently, let me play with those!) and add that the rubber banding AI needs to go.

shandy706

Forza 5 looks pretty good when it is a small window gif with compressed footage on a phone.

Watch Forza 5 on the big screen and it is .... Not the leap you were expecting.

Only one of the multitude of reasons the comparison via gif thing is silly.

Forza 5 on my 46" Aquos with the surround sound cranked, looks and sounds amazing. It's the same setup I run my i7 Rig and other sims on.

Karak

PCARS is awesome, when I turn the gfx settings to the max it kills my PC but looks very good. To get it to run at 40-50fps @ 1600p I turn off a lot of the nice effects.

It will be interesting to see how well it runs on the consoles when it comes out.

Yes indeed. It is just sick.

I am FAR more interested in what things look like on racing games at 60fps though. 30 is ok but 60 for racing has to be the norm for me.

benzy

How do we know the DC shots are direct from framebuffer?

Easy. If you view it in a new tab in 1080p and not GAF's auto-resize feature, you can tell from the in-game artifacts, the poor anisotropic filtering with the blurry/muddy road textures 10 feet ahead of the car, the aliasing, the very flat but crisp texture look for the environments, etc. If it was a PR bullshot they'll clean it up a bit, add in depth-of-field blur to focus on the car and take attention away from the flaws of the blurry road and environment textures.

Framebuffer grab. Look at those low AF nasty road textures.

driveclzpubv.png

PR bullshot

image_driveclub-22874-2662_0008.jpg

Frambuffer

image_driveclub-25069-2662_0016.jpg

PR

drive-club-3.jpg

stryke

Easy. If you view it in a new tab in 1080p and not GAF's auto-resize feature, you can tell from the in-game artifacts, the poor anisotropic filtering with the blurry/muddy road textures 10 feet ahead of the car, the aliasing, the very flat but crisp texture look for the environments, etc. If it was a PR bullshot they'll clean it up a bit, add in depth-of-field blur to focus on the car and take attention away from the flaws of the blurry road and environment textures.

Just because some aspects have been left untouched doesn't mean others haven't.

I'm pretty convinced the AA is not that good in the builds they've shown so far.

RayMaker

Banned
If this thread continues on, can we advance beyond and retire the gifs and standardize the use of webm videos for fully captured framerate and truer-to-source visuals?

Agreed, despite driveclub having the better lighting,textures,effects and polycount it will never have that smooth 60fps look which just seems to enhance the picture as a whole.

People say ''it looks better in motion,screenshots dont do it justice''

well that is precisely the case with forza 5.

You guys saying those DriveClub pics are from the framebuffer are out of your minds. The IQ is way too clean. Ask yourselves where all those jagged edges from the hi-bitrate videos went to..

nib95

Banned
You guys saying those DriveClub pics are from the framebuffer are out of your minds. The IQ is way too clean. Ask yourselves where all those jagged edges from the hi-bitrate videos went to..

My guess is in-game photo mode from Alpha build footage. Still not indicative of gameplay, but I actually think retail build gameplay will end up looking better, only not as clean.

So aside from graphics, which of these games has splitscreen with A.I. opponents included? That's probably the only one I'd pay for.

jett

D-Member
I honestly believe F5, Driveclub, NFS and PC look pretty close to each other. If DC ran at 60fps it'd be an easy winner, but it doesn't. And those direct-feed shots released today are so fucking far away from Evolution's bullshots, it's kinda sad.

That surely is some other racer titled Driveclub.

JaggedSac

I used to be a Forza fan. Just got 5 and it just doesn't do it for me anymore. Forza Horizon broke me, lol. Can't wait for #2 this fall.

Really looking forward to see what they can do to Horizon 2...

Forza 5 graphics, but 30 fps in exchange for open world?

Give it to me now.

PirateKing

Is there any wheel that would support DriveClub and the future GT game or any otehr racing games on PS4? I want to build a full driving equipment by the time DriveClube comes out so would someone help me out here?

Project CARS, Weather Effects, Real Time, Sped up

Project CARS Weather Effects

Incredible visuals !

All the games look really impressive to me but I have to say I don't understand the beating Forza 5 takes. Yes it doesn't have real time / dynamic lighting and the courses are smaller scale than Driveclub but we have to take into account that it's running at twice the framerate.

It will be interesting to see what concessions they make for Forza Horizon 2, will it drop to 720p to maintain 60fps or will they just go for 1080p/30fps.

Also lol at MK8 being in the OP :D. Looks just as impressive to me as anything else in the thread but obviously they are going for a completely different look.

viveks86

Is there any wheel that would support DriveClub and the future GT game or any otehr racing games on PS4? I want to build a full driving equipment by the time DriveClube comes out so would someone help me out here?

Just hold off on a purchase for a while

ZM55AVa.png

JaggedSac

Incredible visuals !

All the games look really impressive to me but I have to say I don't understand the beating Forza 5 takes. Yes it doesn't have real time / dynamic lighting and the courses are smaller scale than Driveclub but we have to take into account that it's running at twice the framerate.

It will be interesting to see what concessions they make for Forza Horizon 2, will it drop to 720p to maintain 60fps or will they just go for 1080p/30fps.

Also lol at MK8 being in the OP :D. Looks just as impressive to me as anything else in the thread but obviously they are going for a completely different look.

FH2 will be 30fps.

Effect

Can we get a Mario Kart 8 gif in the opening post that is showing a single player race. Why put up a two player split scene while the other games get a single player point of view!?

Can someone explain to me why the cars look so plastic-y in Forza? It's really off-putting and one of the biggest reasons why I think the other games look much better.

:( Whatever happened to racing with friends locally? Maybe GTA7 or Forza Horizon 2 will.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. The original Horizon didn't have it. No idea about GT though.

This there a general consensus on which next gen racing game has the best foliage?
Mainly the trees?
I hate seeing low res 2D trees.

Forza 5 has 2D trees but DriveClub has 3D ones right?

viveks86

Is it really or is it just DriveClub with some added blur and filmic effects?

I'm actually inclined to believe this is the case. Those new shots seem to have DoF, AF and motion blur turned off, which is exposing all the shortcuts taken that won't be noticeable while racing with these filters on. They look pretty unsightly compared to videos we already have access to. Games in development are a tricky thing to scrutinize, especially with PR people who hardly pay attention to what gets released. They seem great with a 1000 words, but not with pictures.

Forza would look a lot better than it does now if it had some decent AA. The aliasing totally ruins the IQ.

I used to think that back when I first tried my X1 on another TV. I couldn't believe the improvement once I saw it on mine. Really.

Driveclub looks great, nobody can deny it.

Mik2121

Driveclub is looking amazing. However the only title right now that I'm interested in is Mario Kart. Can't wait for next week!

I sure hope so! How far away do you think we are from the next Forza? 2 years? I have high hopes for Horizon 2 though. I think they'll go for 30fps with more flash and less mechanics. I totally agree with you that Forza and Gran Turismo should be put head to head though when they release.

Forza is a yearly series so the next sim one will be out next year, no way MS stops milking it to allow for better dev time.

At the moment I think DC definitely wins, but then again the framwrate doesn't affect me much as long as it is a solid 30. Visually it's ahead of all the others

meta4

Agreed, despite driveclub having the better lighting,textures,effects and polycount it will never have that smooth 60fps look which just seems to enhance the picture as a whole.

People say ''it looks better in motion,screenshots dont do it justice''

well that is precisely the case with forza 5.

Forza 5 looks mediocre for a next gen racing game. With or without 60 fps.

Driveclub's track environments destroy Forza's. Not even a real comparison between the two.

The geometry and the detail is far in excess in DC.

ref

Project Cars is easily the best looking of the bunch, plus it having the added benefit of having the possibility for 60+ FPS and >1080P resolutions. The weather system in that game is simply sublime, plus the rain effects. Visually, it has the full package and it shows.

I'm also extremely impressed with DriveClub. Environment density/draw distance in DC is stunning. The lighting system as well looks fantastic.

Why would you need more than a gif for DriveClub?

To better show off the graphics they so heavily emphasize? Seriously, why do people want to keep using gifs when there is now a fully better alternative?

FH2 will be 30fps.

Please say that you're just guessing based on FH1. :( I mean, I loved Horizon, but I was hoping we'd see more horsepower put to use with achieving a fundamentally better feel and control before giving it all up to better eye candy.

Top Bottom