• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox One X Enhancements trailer

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Nobody cares about prerelease FPS footage...this is NIXXES, they will get the game running in pristine state on XB1X...dont doubt their dedication to these types of games

Open both images and look there:

mjbQ6tP.jpg
Ahh.

If you look at the Xbox One X image, it has an extra wooden support against the rocks on the beam Lara is on.

//ARCANUM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks like the same stuff that's on the PS4 Pro version, with the addition of HDR (with the PS4 Pro version would be capable of if it were patched in). Is that correct?

edit - not console fighting, I'm just genuinely curious if all they're doing is bringing the PS4 Pro tech to the Xbox version.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I expect ROTTR Pro update soon then, not those X improvements but for HDR probably, nothing else

AU Tiger

Can't wait to see the DF comparison between X1X and PC ultra settings.

I've played through a big chunk on PC @ 1440p maxed out and it's easily one of the best looking games I've ever seen. The lighting quality, in particular, is incredible.

tootie923

I rented the Xbox One version back at launch with the intention of buying the PS4 version eventually. Maybe I will get the XB1 version - it was $20 on a recent sale.

This looks fucking amazing. I'm already impressed with the game on Xbox One. Guess I'll wait to finish my playthrough (i'm right near the end too) on Xbox One X.

amdb00mer

Can't wait to see the DF comparison between X1X and PC ultra settings.

I've played through a big chunk on PC @ 1440p maxed out and it's easily one of the best looking games I've ever seen. The lighting quality, in particular, is incredible.

I hope they do a big X1-PS4-PS4Pro-X1X-PC comparison. Updates like this are essential for getting more people onboard.

The Goat

Dolby Atmos support is 1000x more interesting and exciting to me than native 4K. I don't even like the game that much but I'd almost snag a cheap copy to test that out.

This might be the only reason I would snag an X. Atmos, if used properly, is the real game changer. Hoping more games support it, and DTS:X.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I mean, after blasting my way through the PC version, I'm not seeing what looks so amazing above.

24928119390_4eef65e525_o.png

25130514361_0aed5de1e1_o.png

24856028619_e382fb2b5d_o.png

However, HDR is a welcomed addition, so that is what should make the X1X release shine!.

Lady Gaia

However, HDR is a welcomed addition, so that is what should make the X1X release shine!.

Agreed. That’s what stood out for me with this announcement, as it was conspicuously absent from the PS4 release. It will be interesting to see whether they patch HDR back into the competing platform, or if this is destined to remain Xbox exclusive.

Open both images and look there:

mjbQ6tP.jpg

PS/ use the abload screens and not mine, I'm just showing you where it is...

make a little gif:

klQWpBM.gif

Lools more like a texture than foliage from that pics.

The other differences I can spot is the xbonex version has some darker shadows for some reason, as well it's a tad crisper.
EDIT: Looking in the original images it's actually some sort of strange dust on the xbonex shot.

Funny that texture quality seems the same, I wonder if 4k textures won't make it to all modes?

KageMaru

I hope the PC version receives an update for HDR.

I wonder what AA they will end up using, maybe they'll move over to a temporal solution? There is horrible shimmering with all the options on the PC at 1080p. It's my biggest gripes with an otherwise gorgeous game.

Fredrik

Is this getting anything extra over the PC version?
Playing through it now on PC at 1080p, want to know if I should wait and play on XBX instead at 4K.

JP

Crystal Dynamics have been really good with this sort of support post-release. I still don't rate their Tomb Raider games but this sort of support is good for the people who do enjoy them.

N7.Angel

Lools more like a texture than foliage from that pics.

The other differences I can spot is the xbonex version has some darker shadows for some reason, as well it's a tad crisper.
EDIT: Looking in the original images it's actually some sort of strange dust on the xbonex shot.

Funny that texture quality seems the same, I wonder if 4k textures won't make it to all modes?

it's too bad I removed the game from my PS4 Pro, it would have been better to have a pic of the Pro version timed well with the X one, if someone still have the game, you're help would be great... the X version looks better for sure but THAT better, I don't think so.

thats just dust, does look a bit different to my capture though

Oh it's interesting, thank you for this input, looks like I was wrong, sorry dudes.

is the improved aa just the broken smaa from the pc version? if these are actually improvements beyond whats in the pc version i wonder if nixxes will patch them for us

TGO

it's too bad I removed the game from my PS4 Pro, it would have been better to have a pic of the Pro version timed well with the X one, if someone still have the game, you're help would be great... the X version looks better for sure but THAT better, I don't think so.
Just above, Not prefect but close.

I hope hdr support comes to other platforms, it was shown in like... early 2016 on PC lmao

As for AA, I wonder if that means improved over current consoles or if they've actually put in some temporal AA? The options on PC aren't great.

This will look insane, on the PS4 Pro it's already one of the best looking games.
It really is a gorgeous game, and a great time ta boot.

Wish this trailer actually compared and contrasted standard vs enhanced visuals, because otherwise its hard to get a real handle on the improvements.

Is it just me, or is that game chugging?
Sure looked that way, but I don't know if that's something you can really tell from a video.

arhra

There are definitely some texture improvements if you look closely - the wooden beam she's walking across is a little more detailed, and there's a notable increase in detail in Lara's clothing (you can actually see the texture of the cloth now).

It's definitely something that will mostly be noticeable for objects near the camera though; anything beyond a few metres away the textures will be getting minified even at 4k, so there shouldn't be any substantial difference (although native vs checkerboarding could result in some slight differences in overall image sharpness).

TGO

There are definitely some texture improvements if you look closely - the wooden beam she's walking across is a little more detailed, and there's a notable increase in detail in Lara's clothing (you can actually see the texture of the cloth now).

It's definitely something that will mostly be noticeable for objects near the camera though; anything beyond a few metres away the textures will be getting minified even at 4k, so there shouldn't be any substantial difference (although native vs checkerboarding could result in some slight differences in overall image sharpness).
Funny enough the cloth texture is highly visible most the time on Pro, I think motion blur is the behind that or CB
overall sharpness also seems equal in my capture despite being CB but X1X looks a bit washed out, compared to my direct capture, X1X does have better shadows and the Hair looks finer on X1X, yet again maybe CB in motion.
I think overall X1X has a lot to prove if this is what we are gonna see in the future.

Hence the alpha-footage placed at the bottom to let viewers know.

Oh I missed that. I presumed something went wrong with how the video was rendered, maybe that was the case? Not that the trailer matters that much anyway for analysing the performance of the game.

scently

Funny enough the cloth texture is highly visible most the time on Pro, I think motion blur is the behind that or CB
overall sharpness also seems equal in my capture despite being CB but X1X looks a bit washed out, compared to my direct capture, X1X does have better shadows and the Hair looks finer on X1X, yet again maybe CB in motion.
I think overall X1X has a lot to prove if this is what we are gonna see in the future.

You should also note that this is alpha.

is the improved aa just the broken smaa from the pc version? if these are actually improvements beyond whats in the pc version i wonder if nixxes will patch them for us
I still have the game on my Pro. I will take a screenshot once I get home if nobody else does. There should be a difference between both but not by much. RotTR on PS4 Pro is already Checkerboarding from a 3840x1080 framebuffer so that's why it looks as clean as it does.

Never played RotTR. If it's on sale around the holidays I'll definitely pick it up. The enhancements look great.

I think I might need to invest in an Atmos ceiling speakers in the next few years if more games are going to start using that. I got to try it once as a demo and it was awesome.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Crystal Dynamics have been really good with this sort of support post-release. I still don't rate their Tomb Raider games but this sort of support is good for the people who do enjoy them.

Crystal dynamics is actually bad at post release patches and support. Nixxes on the other hand is very good, and they are the ones who do a majority of the ports of CD games

Crumpo

HDR? The Pro version didnt have HDR. I wonder if it will get patched it.

I was thinking the same. I'm about halfway through, might just wait to see if it gets patched in.

Also, as others have said this has one of the best sets of options for premium users, of all the enhanced games-this is how pro/X support needs to be done.

Top Bottom