• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swedish model gets rape threats after ad shows her unshaved legs

Disgusting people on the internet, tossing rape threats out...

It's because they aren't afraid. They should be made to fear.

Talking about a dating situation, big nope for me.

I don't see why I'm part of any problem lol, Women can do what they want, I'm not saying that all women need to shave or not, it's their body, I'm just saying that an unshaved women has 0 chance with me, it's fine, they're millions of people that are probably fine with it.

The way you phrased it read more-so as simply saying "hi" to or encountering a woman. Meeting =/= Dating.

fucking lmao at the men coming into this thread to give their opinion on women's unshaven legs

y'all are part of the problem

(actually same if you feel the need to show everyone what a Cool and Accepting man you are because you're okay with unshaven legs. shut up)

Been married for 17 years. I only shave my legs if I'm going to be wearing a skirt or shorts or dress. Husband still fucks me on the regular and has no complaints about my disgusting hairy legs.

This in my experience is how most long term relationships work.

So get over it. Shaving is a chore most of us don't do on the regular. Sorry

Preach. I haven't been married nearly as long but some hairy legs ain't stopping me from having fun w/ mrs mammoth.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Nothing wrong with guy's not liking women with hairy armpits or legs.. just like nothing wrong with women who don't like men who don't shave their beards/stache off.

It's typically not front and center though... my wife doesn't shave shit unless she's having it seen.. so skirt/shorts/tank.. etc...

The lighting of that shot makes the legs look even hairier than they actually are too.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
fucking lmao at the men coming into this thread to give their opinion on women's unshaven legs

(actually same if you feel the need to show everyone what a Cool and Accepting man you are because you're okay with unshaven legs. shut up)

I would have thought men vocalizing they don't care about leg hair would be at least a bit helpful in countering the idea that women have to shave their legs. Or maybe not everyone with an opinion shut up I guess.

StoneFox

I would have thought men vocalizing they don't care about leg hair would be at least a bit helpful in countering the idea that women have to shave their legs. Or maybe not everyone with an opinion shut up I guess.

It's because they are similar to a #NotAllMen drive-by post.

tumblr_oh34eqLixZ1tfju21o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oh34eqLixZ1tfju21o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_oh34eqLixZ1tfju21o3_1280.jpg

Although real talk, it's fucked up she's getting threats for being herself.

meh, this is great as far as equality / freedom of choice is concerned.

but personally i find body hair kinda gross, and wish it was more socially acceptable for me to shave my legs as a man.

[i shave my armpits at least, which feels SUPER nice]

still though, this just shows she has bigger balls than me!

Although real talk, it's fucked up she's getting threats for being herself.

yup.

just can't fathom why people resort immediately to death threats as soon as somebody else makes a[n alternative?] choice with their own god damn body...

rjinaz

Laser already exists...

Right, but I meant at home and cheap, like a hand held device like an electric razor you just wave. My bigger point was, it will be decades before hairy legged women is a norm. I feel it's more likely that it just won't be an issue at some point.

but personally i find body hair kinda gross, and wish it was more socially acceptable for me to shave my legs as a man.

yup.

just can't fathom why people resort immediately to death threats as soon as somebody else makes a[n alternative?] choice with their own god damn body...

Just pretend you're a swimmer or something

Red Fire

Sadly death- and rape-threats have become some kind of go-to-threat for these sad and pathetic human beings. I don't understand what a person thinks he/she achieves by typing shit like that

I think the thing to take away from most internet males being shitlords is the fact that most males probably are no matter if they use the net or not.

I'm pretty sure saying something like 'most women are shitlords' would get an instant ban here, and yet doing the same for males seems to be okay? Unless I'm misunderstanding something, GAF seems to have some really bad double-standards because this isn't the first time I'm seeing posts like this

I'm pretty sure saying something like 'most women are shitlords' would get an instant ban here, and yet doing the same for males seems to be okay? Unless I'm misunderstanding something, GAF seems to have some really bad double-standards because this isn't the first time I'm seeing posts like this

You probably should take it up in another thread.
One where the topic of discussion isn't men sending rape-threats to a woman because she didn't shave her legs.

Red Fire

You probably should take it up in another thread.
One where the topic of discussion isn't men sending rape-threats to a woman because she didn't shave her legs.

Eh? I'm just answering a post that has been made in this thread?

If you are implying that the topic of this thread justifies typing something like that here, let me make this point:
If there was a thread about a woman raping/rape-threatening a man, and someone in that thread posted 'most women are shitlords', it would still result in an instant ban. So that doesn't really prove a point either.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Sadly death- and rape-threats have become some kind of go-to-threat for these sad and pathetic human beings. I don't understand what a person thinks he/she achieves by typing shit like that

A big portion of the male population are violent assholes. A much, much larger portion than women.

Typical

Banned
Why would you send rape threats over someone else having unshaven legs?.? Makes little sense

I can understand (probably not the correct word) people saying aggressive shit if someone said something provocative but this is just silly.

Eh? I'm just answering a post that has been made in this thread?

If you are implying that the topic of this thread justifies typing something like that here, let me make this point

No, I'm stating that a thread where a woman is receiving rape threats is not the thread to discuss "Well, why can't we say most women are [whatever]?"
The fact that you were answering a question someone else asked doesn't change that.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I don't get the logic here. People think she's gross and but are willing to force sex on her?

Some people are fucked in the head. Who cares? You do you.

I don't get the logic here. People think she's gross and but are willing to force sex on her?

--->

Why would you threaten to rape a woman because of something you don't find sexually attractive/arousing on her body?

I mean, threatening rape makes it seem like her hairy legs are a pretty big dealbreaker. How do you even get it up at that point?

--->

So you don't find her attractive because she doesn't shave her legs but you'd rape her? I don't get it.
Rape isn't about sexual pleasure. It's an act of violence and control.

Some people are fucked in the head. Who cares? You do you.

I don't know how to read this other than victim blaming.
It's hard to "do you" when you're being threatened with rape.

StoneFox

Why would you send rape threats over someone else having unshaven legs?.? Makes little sense

I can understand (probably not the correct word) people saying aggressive shit if someone said something provocative but this is just silly.

Womens' bodies don't belong to them and need to be held to the standards of society or face the consequences. Duh.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
--->

I don't know how to read this other than victim blaming.
It's hard to "do you" when you're being threatened with rape.

Jesus, no. I'm saying that she should be allowed to do her thing. It has literally no effect on other people.

Red Fire

No, I'm stating that a thread where a woman is receiving rape threats is not the thread to discuss "Well, why can't we say most women are [whatever]?"
The fact that you were answering a question someone else asked doesn't change that.

But that's not what i said, you are putting words in my mouth i didn't say

It's not 'why can't we say that', it's 'why can anybody say that'. I agree that nobody should say 'most women are shitlords' because it is a generalisation and also insulting. But the same should go for men too you know?

I'm not taking any sides. I'm just saying A insulting B is not allowed. Of course, that's how it should be. But B shouldn't be allowed to insult A either. Because.. Equality and stuff.

Those people who type those kind of threats deserve all kind of insults but you still shouldn't blame 'most men' or whatever for that because that's a blatant generalisation

I don't know why you guys are trying to defend stuff like that. But well, as i do not want to derail this thread any further as you said we should just stop here.

Ephidel

I think the problem is that when the thread becomes about men giving their approval or disapproval for leg hair, it makes it all about them.

By saying you think women need male support to counter the idea that they have to shave their legs, the implication becomes that they don't have the authority to make that decision themselves. It makes it seem like their own opinions don't matter because the defining factor in whether they have to or not is whether they have male approval.

The Wart

But that's not what i said, you are putting words in my mouth i didn't say

It's not 'why can't we say that', it's 'why can anybody say that'. I agree that nobody should say 'most women are shitlords' because it is a generalisation and also insulting. But the same should go for men too you know?

I'm not taking any sides. I'm just saying A insulting B is not allowed. Of course, that's how it should be. But B shouldn't be allowed to insult A either. Because.. Equality and stuff.

Those people who type those kind of threats deserve all kind of insults but you still shouldn't blame 'most men' or whatever for that because that's a blatant generalisation

I don't know why you guys are trying to defend stuff like that. But well, as i do not want to derail this thread any further as you said we should just stop here.

The internet (like society in general) has a much bigger problem with men harassing and threatening women than it does with women doing the same to men. That is the reason for the double standard. This and just about any other web site is not at risk for becoming a hostile and unwelcoming place for men*, and a post saying men are shitlords does very, very little to move the needle.

If you think this is a great injustice, then I think you are far too focused on the abstract principle than on the actual effects on people's and communities' wellbeing. Same logic as when men complain about being excluded from, say, women's professional development groups. It's not that they actually are harmed by the exclusion or even want to attend, but gosh darnit they're just so opposed to discrimination! In reality, nine times out of ten they are angry at the idea of something being not for them. Don't be like those people.

*With the possible exception with sites that are explicitly about feminism and gender issues.

I see... You can't express support for her or women who don't shave their legs because otherwise psychowave will think you're a disingenuous piece of shit.

Murkas

I wish more men wore their back hairs and shoulder hair more proudly in online photos/social media!

As a hairy man myself; would love to also fight that negative stigma society has put on my types.

Yep :(

I've paid £1300ish for I think it was 9 laser treatments on my back and shoulders some years back due to how insecure I felt about it.

I hate how we can't win.

"Your legs and arms are so hairy!"

*All right, I'll just shave/wax them*

"Omg did you wax your legs???"

*Ok, I'll wait for the hair to grow back then maybe I'll just slightly trim them"

"Have you been trimming your legs?"

*...*

Aske

My man! Unfortunately a lot of women think guys with no pit hair look creepy, so I don't shave mine to the skin. It's short enough that it doesn't easily trap BO. I'm thinking about getting my junk lasered, and I'll probably do it at some point, along with what little grows on my back. Too many women dislike guys without some body hair for me to completely get rid of it everywhere else. As long as it's not long enough to gross me out, I'm happy to cater to the tastes of prospective partners. After all, I care much more about making my skin somewhere they want to be than I do keeping it to my preferred aesthetic standard. I keep most of it just long enough not to be scratchy, which seems to work for everyone.

Peltz

I think it's fair to say that online rape threats are literally always horrible. What's wrong with these people? I've never read a news story or any statement or encountered any controversy where my reaction has been

"I'm going to send a threatening message to this person I don't know."

What the fuck has to be going through your mind to get to that point? It's completely absurd, barbaric, and disturbing. Some people are such trash.

kinggroin

Banned
Lol, it's not even a thing. Hair on a woman's leg? Gadzooks!

You can tell who ain't married for more than a year.

Edit: as for the rape threats. I hope you lot get outed.

Cilla

This frustrates me. We don't exist solely for men's viewing pleasure which seems to be something that they don't understand.

Women have hair. It's normal. Not having hair is abnormal. I shave because it's just a habit but I don't care if people don't. I have blonde hair so it's not that noticeable anyway.

Yep :(

I've paid £1300ish for I think it was 9 laser treatments on my back and shoulders some years back due to how insecure I felt about it.

I hate how we can't win.

"Your legs and arms are so hairy!"

*All right, I'll just shave/wax them*

"Omg did you wax your legs???"

*Ok, I'll wait for the hair to grow back then maybe I'll just slightly trim them"

"Have you been trimming your legs?"

*...*
How did the laser treatments go? Were they effective? Did they at least make you psychologically more secure about your body?

Did they have any physical, long term negative effect on your skin?

I always fantasizes about zapping my back hair with laser throughout my 20's. Leaned to care less in my 30's.

Ekai

A thread about a woman getting rape threats for something so stupid has devolved into guys stating their preference for leg hair on women.....

Zaphrynn

I don't shave my underarms and I am beautiful. Sometimes I even leave the house with stubbly legs. Shaving fucking hurts and I have to do it every other day to keep up, and it takes me 10-20 minutes in the shower. I always get ingrowns, and I always have spots that bleed.

I've also dyed my underarm hair. I rock this shit, and I'm not going to let assholes who can't step out their own comfort zone for one second control my life anymore. Petty, pathetic men can continue to live in their ignorance and hatred, and I will continue to pity them for that ignorance.

And I will continue to date a man that values my mind and my heart, and remember that that's what matters. It hurts, but assholes will always exist, and I will always be stronger than them and do what I want.

A thread about a woman getting rape threats for something so stupid has devolved into guys stating their preference for leg hair on women.....

But of course. One of these things is secondary, and that's the threats for not conforming to society.

Top Bottom