• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NOVA 3 |OT| Gameloft's Unreal 3 powered shooter sampler plate on your ios ($7)

mza_3715046346475767840.320x480-75.jpg

mza_8198379686044533414.320x480-75.jpg

mza_5255814616861326670.png

Single Player Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If-cLVen-VA&feature=player_embedded

Multiplayer Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm4_l4tFeDI&feature=player_embedded

First 10 min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXYtsM2-YV4

Bulletpoint stuff
• 10 mission campaign.
• Multiple weapons, powers, vehicles, mechas.
• 12-player battles in 6 multiplayer modes (Capture the Point, Free-for-All, Capture the Flag, etc.) on 6 different maps.
• Has vehicles that allows multiple folks to hop in at once (aka warthog).
• Has fancy stuff that makes the game kinda pretty (real-time shadow & lights, particle system, ragdoll physics, etc.)

Link to download

The Game is out in New Zealand. It should be out in US at about 11 PM EST and Europe at around 12 AM UK time. Size of the app is 1.57 GB.

Price in NZ is $9.99 which should translate to USD $6.99

I expect an android release in a few months if Gameloft keeps to their schedule. Heck maybe even PS Suite someday if you pray enough.

So besides the 'ooh touch controls are scary', you do seem to get quite a bit for $7.

This game looks gorgeous. I think my Nexus S (PowerVR SGX 540) will cry running this, whenever it comes out on Android :( And I'm betting it's much easier to play on a tablet, it seems like touch controls could really work there. I usually play on Easy on my phone.

As I've said before, in this instance and given the landscape at the moment, they'd do well to throw this onto the Vita.

Bit of a technical achievement, to say the least.

As I've said before, in this instance and given the landscape at the moment, they'd do well to throw this onto the Vita.

Bit of a technical achievement, to say the least.

Oh oh, I agree. Considering the game was done to run on iPad and iPhone (with the latest version, 4S, running a PowerVR SGX 543 x2), they could quickly port this game to the Vita (running double the cores, PowerVR SGX 543 x4), not even care about optimization, and have it run at 60fps and look great, on a console with what, zero/one/two first person shooters so far?

Oh oh, I agree. Considering the game was done to run on iPad and iPhone (with the latest version, 4S, running a PowerVR SGX 543 x2), they could quickly port this game to the Vita (running double the cores, PowerVR SGX 543 x4), not even care about optimization, and have it run at 60fps and look great, on a console with what, zero/one/two first person shooters so far?

And throw it on psn for $15-20.

But I guess setting it to work with psn and other stuff would be a hassle. And with how the MK port went down, I assume Unreal 3 still has a way to go before it's ready for primetime for vita.

Just a warning, the game runs at a choppy frame rate on a new iPad, also missing a lot of visual effects like depth of field and motion blur on the new iPad...

Good game so far but damn that my iPad can't show those awesome filters :(

Just a warning, the game runs at a choppy frame rate on a new iPad, also missing a lot of visual effects like depth of field and motion blur on the new iPad...

Good game so far but damn that my iPad can't show those awesome filters :(

I have a new iPad and a 4s and don't have any of these issues you are describing. It runs silky smooth on my iPad.

Card Boy

Banned
1.6 gig and the price makes it hard to pick up. I have a 16gig iPad 2 and am down to 4gigs.

Also Apple really needs to come up with an official wireless control pad solution for both the iPad and iPhone.

I have a new iPad and a 4s and don't have any of these issues you are describing. It runs silky smooth on my iPad.
I just restarted my iPad and started the intro again, no dof or motion blur is present.

Frame rate. In fights can hit like 15 fps it's annoying and no my iPad is not faulty.

And throw it on psn for $15-20.

But I guess setting it to work with psn and other stuff would be a hassle. And with how the MK port went down, I assume Unreal 3 still has a way to go before it's ready for primetime for vita.

I think they did quite a decent job with the Modern Combat PSN version. I really enjoyed that for what it was - a solid and cost-effective little console CS. It would be interesting to see how this would go, post MK.

Computron

1.6 gig and the price makes it hard to pick up. I have a 16gig iPad 2 and am down to 4gigs.

Also Apple really needs to come up with an official wireless control pad solution for both the iPad and iPhone.

Price? What the fu....

oh, right, Gameloft...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
And with how the MK port went down, I assume Unreal 3 still has a way to go before it's ready for primetime for vita.
MK port runs at solid 60FPS on Vita. Big compromises need to be made to achieve that framerate with UE3 on consoles already. Things are different with 30FPS target.

MK port runs at solid 60FPS on Vita. Big compromises need to be made to achieve that framerate with UE3 on consoles already. Things are different with 30FPS target.

You reckon NOVA3 would be a go'er on the Vita with little work at such a framerate? I'm a bit of a dolt when it comes to horsepower and application, you see.

Where did you find the information that this is using UE3?

You know what... I don't think there has been an actual confirmation. Just a lot of rumors.

Huh...

Does unreal logo pop up when you boot it?

If this uses their own gameloft engine... than I am kinda impressed.

BlazeDSM

I really am sorry to ask this, but why couldnt this be on a more powerful Android OS? Is it due to specs or contract loyalties?

MarkusRJR

I wish I could actually play touch screen FPS competently. I would be all over this then. It's near-impossible for me be any good, and doesn't it require "the claw" (ala Monster Hunter) to actually strafe? One finger for movement, one for aiming, and another for shooting?

Odrion

Banned
Not really, you can still aim while shooting. Aim with your right thumb, and when it's time to fight move over to the shoot icon to start firing while moving your thumb around.

Still a little impractical. But hey!

Zen

Banned
I was always disappointed that the PSP never got NOVA 2, so hopefully NOVA 3 makes its way to Vita.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I'm just going to copy my posts from the iOS thread here, (roughly) comparing the game on an iPad 3, iPad 2, and iPhone 4S:

Holy SHIT. So far, this game is absolutely gorgeous. The framerate certainly dips at points, but no more than of GameLoft's other FPS titles. But, wow. It looks like a launch 360 title. I could absolutely mistake this for a modern console game.

Also, it's FAR more Crysis 2 than Halo this time. Art, animations, style - everything. The controls are definitely the tightest they've been on a GameLoft FPS, but they're still touch screen controls, so you should know what you're getting into. You can customize the virtual buttons by moving them around (but not resizing), except for the reload button, which stay irritatingly at the top.

Rag doll physics actually exist in this game, which I think is a first for GameLoft. You have the ability to Force push enemies down, and they don't fall with a predetermined animation - they physically react to the environments (it seems). Sometimes, they don't even fall, and just stumble.

The voiceovers are much better and less cheesy, too. Still cheesy, though.

But DAMN it looks amazing on an iPad 3. The framerate isn't solid, but it generally stays t or above 30, and hasn't dipped to anything insufferable yet. Geometry is complex, and most textures are razor sharp on the retina screen. It's probably the nicest looking game I've played so far on the iPad.

I'm going to now try it on my 4S, and I'll check the thread in a few minutes. If there's anything specific you want me to check for, let me know. So far, though, if you enjoyed any GameLoft FPS in the past, there's no reason not to grab this.

-------------------------- second post -------------------------

Ok, so now played a bit on the iPhone 4S. It does have additional effects the iPad 3 does not. Or, at least one - depth of field blurring. And it looks really nice, too.

Other than that, subtle differences are slightly longer load times on the 4S, and just a slight bit more of texture-loading framerate drop. It seems like it plays at the same framerate, overall.

And then, of course, the final drawback from the iPhone version is the smaller screen, which leads to harder-to-manage controls. But if you've gotten used to it before with a GameLoft FPS, this will definitely feel better than those other games.

Up next, I'm playtesting it on an iPad 2. Let me know if there's anything you guys want me to check or try. I'm also collecting a few comparison screenshots. I just have to figure out how to upload them directly from my devices, so let me know if you know how to do that, anyone.

------------------------------ third post --------------------------------

Hmm, my third post got lost. Anyway, iPad 2 impressions and updated comparison:

The iPad 2 runs almost identically to the iPhone 4S. It seems to have all the same effects as the 4S version, and the ever-so-slightly lower framerate dips.

Now, for the bad news for iPad 3 owners. There are a lot more effects cut than I thought. First off, the world seems to be lit just a little brighter, (this could be my screen) but it seems like there's less visual contrast. The screenshots will tell that tale. But other effects, like heat coming off the gun and distorting your visuals, are gone. It's a shame, because they look fantastic on the iPad 2 and 4S.

Personally, I'd like the option to try and run the game with effects on on my iPad 3, just to see how big of a hit it really takes. Either that, or run it at a lower resolution that can handle it.

Still, the game is great on all three devices I tested it on, and it's universal. Any other questions?

Ledsen

wat

so basically iPhone 5 will be more powerful than a Vita?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
wat

That wouldn't be surprising. Though I wouldn't be shocked if the iPhone 5 only had a marginal update to its processor, while the big thing is that it's 4g.

(Off-topic note: in that sentence I just type above this, my iPhone's autocorrect contextually determined the difference between its and it's. That's still impressive to me, lol.)

Back on topic, has anyone figured out how to turn up the effects for the iPad 3 version? It'd be nice if that were just an option.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I think i will put this on my appshopper and wait for a 99 cent sale and not because i only buy 99 cent games but gameloft tends to drop prices on their games pretty often.

I'm just going to copy my posts from the iOS thread here, (roughly) comparing the game on an iPad 3, iPad 2, and iPhone 4S:

Jesus. you make me want to buy the game now rather than waiting.

wat

Probably but iphone 6 definitely will be.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
That wouldn't be surprising. Though I wouldn't be shocked if the iPhone 5 only had a marginal update to its processor, while the big thing is that it's 4g.

(Off-topic note: in that sentence I just type above this, my iPhone's autocorrect contextually determined the difference between its and it's. That's still impressive to me, lol.)

Back on topic, has anyone figured out how to turn up the effects for the iPad 3 version? It'd be nice if that were just an option.

This would mean the iPhone 5 will be more powerful than the iPad 3, which wont happen.

Jaagen

I was always disappointed that the PSP never got NOVA 2, so hopefully NOVA 3 makes its way to Vita.

Did they even release the first NOVA for PSP?

I think they should release a "NOVA Trilogy" for the Vita. It looks decent, and I think a budget-style release would fit it well.

Dacvak

So I got a bunch of comparison screenshots, but I'm limited to uploading things from my iOS devices, only. If someone wants to walk me throw how to upload these screen caps and post them to GAF, please let me know and I'll get em to you.

Hit level 10 online last night over about 2 hours of play, I really like it online but the current lag is beyond annoying, you can hit someone with a full clip yet die in a few bursts from someone else, also the rail gun is way too strong and you can quickscope the sniper for 1 hit kills heh.

Frame rate gets even worse online :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ah, so the downsides to the high resolution used in the new iPad are finally starting to show. It's a shame they don't simply allow for a lower resolution scaled version (with high-resolution hud elements) and all effects.

Resolutions that high actually bog down my GTX580 so I can't imagine what it does to the GPU in the iPad.

Ah, so the downsides to the high resolution used in the new iPad are finally starting to show. It's a shame they don't simply allow for a lower resolution scaled version (with high-resolution hud elements) and all effects.

Resolutions that high actually bog down my GTX580 so I can't imagine what it does to the GPU in the iPad.

Some games allow that, Galaxy on Fire 2 does to help frame rate if you choose. I hope that gameloft either find the magic button to add them in at 30fps or at least give us that choice in the next update.

*edit* I just tried playing this on my 4g touch, it's playable but too lower frame rate for me to enjoy, good that it works and still looks rather good just with much lower texture res.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
*edit* I just tried playing this on my 4g touch, it's playable but too lower frame rate for me to enjoy, good that it works and still looks rather good just with much lower texture res.

So, you would not recommend this for Touch owners? Any OG iPad impressions? I wonder how this will run on my Note. Dam, I'm buying this aren't I? :p

Its still amazing that it's playable with OK graphics, though. I wonder how would PowerVR tech would fare at the desktop class.

kaf

This is not running on Unreal, it is GameLoft's internal tech. I would also like to see some actual ingame shots since they tend to photoshop their release images

numble

So I got a bunch of comparison screenshots, but I'm limited to uploading things from my iOS devices, only. If someone wants to walk me throw how to upload these screen caps and post them to GAF, please let me know and I'll get em to you.
The photobucket app or the minus app.

Ehh? I strongly doubt, absent proof, any games are actually running at iPad 3's native resolution, or even close.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Ehh? I strongly doubt, absent proof, any games are actually running at iPad 3's native resolution, or even close.

Several developers(including EPIC) have already came out and said their games are running native, some of the special FX on these games need to be turned down in order to run at the new ipad3 rez.

Almost all big games\apps have come out with a ipad retina upgrade and they all looked better afterwords. Are they all native I don't know probably not but they all look ALLOT better after the update.

Several developers(including EPIC) have already came out and said their games are running native, some of the special FX on these games need to be turned down in order to run at the new ipad3 rez.

Any links?

Anyways I put in a request of the B3D pixel counters on that Nova 3 shot above.

tinfoilhatman

Any links?

Anyways I put in a request of the B3D pixel counters on that Nova 3 shot above.

Find your own links, do you even own an iOS device?

Why do you think most apps\games have been updated for ipad3 retina?

I honestly don't care if their 100% perfect native as long as they look better\sharper after an update which they all do.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Tried out the game myself on my 4S and am moderately impressed with the technology but, as expected, less than thrilled with the game itself. It's decent, I suppose, but it feels like an old game with a modern coat of paint applied. Combat is very stiff and the scenarios are highly uninteresting.

You would be wrong. There are a number of games that use the native resolution already.

Unfortunately, some of those games that have been updated suffer as a result. Aquaria, for instance, is a simple 2D game and the upgraded resolution introduces slowdown.

Here's a native resolution shot from Sky Gamblers (click the link for full)...

http://www.macsessed.com/postpics/sky-gamblers-screenshot.PNG

Runs well (30 fps) at least.

tinfoilhatman

You would be wrong. There are a number of games that use the native resolution already.

Unfortunately, some of those games that have been updated suffer as a result. Aquaria, for instance, is a simple 2D game and the upgraded resolution introduces slowdown.

Here's a native resolution shot from Sky Gamblers (click the link for full)...

Runs well (30 fps) at least.

In before Photoshop accusation

Dacvak

Ok this is a test post because I have no idea if these pictures uploaded without loss.

iPhone 4S
ibb3fsY0f8Sga1.jpg

ibqw7AMv3dVwnB.jpg

iIEJao5xqYkoL.jpg

iPad 2
ibhf1bfql6PcZY.jpg

ibmwauHQFXJN4h.jpg

ibw305pmXaBWdl.jpg

iPad 3
ib1CmdRahUH3CX.jpg

i0gSkqPe1dtPx.jpg

ibg7MD6NNZTZPd.jpg

Ok, if that worked, I have another handful of comparison pics to upload. Someone who's on a computer (and not an iPad like me) please check and make sure they're at the proper resolutions.

Top Bottom